• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gratuity to be removed from DDP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I live tipping is customary 15%.. I was a little shocked to see the 18% customary in FL considering I have to pay exchange on top of that...

We did the free dining plan last year and still left some money if we got exceptional service. I try to stick to what's customary and if they do a good job, I raise it. Now if they do a horrible job I have no problem leaving little to no tip. If my bill is under $20 I tend to just tip $5 because I wouldn't feel comfortable just leaving a $2-$3 tip.

Now IMHO, (and don't be angry, think about it) I do find tipping based on your bill a little odd.. I think it should be per person at the table.

If I go out and order a $10 hamburger or a $50 steak, the waiter/waitress is not doing any more or less work in either case, yet they get a bigger tip if I order something more expensive. I just don't see why the price of what I order affects their tips since it's not any more or less work either way.

Now, having a table of 10, or some screaming kids or something, that's when you should increase tipping! So I think $5-$10 per person at the table regardless of what you order should be fair if you have a smaller group, and maybe more if you have a larger group or are making special demands.

I also do understand that if you're ordering appetizers and desserts they're doing more work as well... I just don't see why the price of my food should make a difference in their tip.

Here is something to ponder on...what about Sonic? Its fast food. But you dont get out of your car and the people bring you your food. Should you tip them to?

Just curious as to why you would no longer use the dining plan if tip were removed from the package. Even without the included tip, the DDP is still a much better deal than most of the previous incarnations of the dining plan that you probably purchased previously.

As you said, the DDP is indeed the driving force behind having to book ADRs months in advance, but this is simply to assure someone who has just shelled out $1000 or so for the DDP that they will have a place to use those credits. Imagine showing up at WDW with your DDP credits but no ADRs? (picture dollar bills with wings flying away)

But prior to the DDP, it just wasn't necessary for the average vacationer to make ADRs months in advance. Many made them upon arrival or simply walked in to whichever restaurant was nearby when hunger struck. The restaurants were still pretty full, even in those days. Maybe not 100% full but not exactly ghost towns either. So I agree the DDP has fueled the mania for advance ADRs, but don't necessarily agree they have brought all that much more business into the dining establishments.

The reason I won't be using the DDP is because I also have the DDE. Last year we booked two 2TS restaurants and paid for the second OOP. Our OOP bill at Jiko for 4 people with appetizers, entrees, drinks, dessert and tip was only $175 (20% discount with DDE). If the rumor is true that meal will cost me much more than $175, it will be 2TS credits (most people have estimated the value of 1TS meal at $28 - $28 x 4 x 2 = $224) plus I will have to pay $40 - 45 OOP for the tip.

I tip $5 at Sonic when my DD's friend who works there happens to bring our food out. She always gets $5 from us. Even if our food is only $10. I also give the pizza delivery guy $3 or $4. In sit-down restaurants, we always give 20% if not more. I think 15% is acceptable but not less than that.

It really makes no sense to keep arguing about it...Disney8704 is not going to change her tipping habits based on any replies to this thread.

So let's get back on track and and hope we get some reliable updates on what is actually happening with the DDP negotiations right now.

Like i said ages ago we can book for next year the ddp in the uk.and guess what tip included.
Paulh

The DDP is subject to change at any time. Anyone know if the WDW servers are unionized?? This could be a contract point.

That's the entire basis of this thread. The servers contract for 2008 is being negotiated and Disney want to remove the included tip from the dining plan.

Like i said ages ago we can book for next year the ddp in the uk.and guess what tip included.
Paulh

The DDP is subject to change at any time. Anyone know if the WDW servers are unionized?? This could be a contract point.

Agree completely. I dont see what the difference is in the cost of the bill either. Say 2 people were out to eat and both ordered chicken and came to $20 and at another table 2 people - ordered steak and came to $50. Why should the people that ordered steak pay $10 in tips (20%) but the people who ordered chicken only pay $4 in tips (20%). They all ordered the same amount of food, just different food. I might agree with you, but others wont. They will sit here and say because the IRS takes out such and such per bill regardless how much they got in tips. I honestly dont know why people are making such a huge deal about this. Why worry about how much you tip. It's better then leaving no tip at all. You arent the one who is paying the taxes, they are. People need to focus on their own lives and finances instead of worrying about others.

Where I live tipping is customary 15%.. I was a little shocked to see the 18% customary in FL considering I have to pay exchange on top of that...

We did the free dining plan last year and still left some money if we got exceptional service. I try to stick to what's customary and if they do a good job, I raise it. Now if they do a horrible job I have no problem leaving little to no tip. If my bill is under $20 I tend to just tip $5 because I wouldn't feel comfortable just leaving a $2-$3 tip.

Now IMHO, (and don't be angry, think about it) I do find tipping based on your bill a little odd.. I think it should be per person at the table.

If I go out and order a $10 hamburger or a $50 steak, the waiter/waitress is not doing any more or less work in either case, yet they get a bigger tip if I order something more expensive. I just don't see why the price of what I order affects their tips since it's not any more or less work either way.

Now, having a table of 10, or some screaming kids or something, that's when you should increase tipping! So I think $5-$10 per person at the table regardless of what you order should be fair if you have a smaller group, and maybe more if you have a larger group or are making special demands.

I also do understand that if you're ordering appetizers and desserts they're doing more work as well... I just don't see why the price of my food should make a difference in their tip.

It's the servers who are going to lose out. I would think that a good number of people will forget or just not bother to tip with cash, or not realize it's not included.

If the prices stay the same as they are, I won't get the dining plan anymore.

I agree it doesn't make much sense. If we go to Le Cellier and I order the $12 salad, and DM orders the $24 steak, is it twice harder for the server to bring her steak ?!

I think the whole tipping thing makes no sense to be honest. It should be up to the owners to pay their server a decent salary, not to the patrons. Of course it'd make prices go up but would it really make a difference if you're used to pay a 15-20% tip anyway ?

Either way, it's not how it works in the US right now and we believe in respecting a country's customs when we visit. So we'll keep on tipping 15 or 20% unless the service is awful.

That's the entire basis of this thread. The servers contract for 2008 is being negotiated and Disney want to remove the included tip from the dining plan.

I wonder if there is anything WE can do to help them? I know there was the poll asking if we would still buy the DDP if the gratuity were not included, I think posted by a server, but is there something we could do to help persuade Disney to include it? Obviously some people are not simply not going to give a decent tip if it's not included. I'd rather pay a few dollars more for the plan and have the tip included.

You're right Im not gonna change. As for the DDP, I think that the topic is basically been killed a long time ago, and everyone shouldnt worry about it until we know for certain whats gonna happen. Why worry about it in the 1st place. Theres nothing you can do. If Disney wants to get rid of the tips in the DDP, then they will. If you dont like it, dont get the DDP. Simple as that.

It really makes no sense to keep arguing about it...Disney8704 is not going to change her tipping habits based on any replies to this thread.

So let's get back on track and and hope we get some reliable updates on what is actually happening with the DDP negotiations right now.

Here is something to ponder on...what about Sonic? Its fast food. But you dont get out of your car and the people bring you your food. Should you tip them to?

I personally do, because they're bringing me my food, extra napkins, ketchup, they're dealing with me if my food's wrong and correcting it. Yep ... you betcha.

I don't necessarily tip a full 20 or higher percent, but always a couple bucks and some change. Here the kids at Sonic are paid minimum wage or better -- my brother used to work for them -- instead of the $2.13 that FL restaurant servers are.

You do whatever you and your family feels most comfortable with, but I've got to say: If I'm on the DDP and am expected to pay gratuity -- the standard 15 to 20 percent that's common, accepted and EXPECTED by the IRS for tax purposes -- walk into a place like Jiko and order 100, $120 worth of food and left a $5.00 tip, I could never return. I'd just be way too embarrassed.

Places like Olive Garden or Red Lobster, if you can keep your meal under $25, fine, but not TS places at WDW. I don't know how you'd be able to keep TS places, especially for two or more, under $25.

Agree completely. I dont see what the difference is in the cost of the bill either. Say 2 people were out to eat and both ordered chicken and came to $20 and at another table 2 people - ordered steak and came to $50. Why should the people that ordered steak pay $10 in tips (20%) but the people who ordered chicken only pay $4 in tips (20%). They all ordered the same amount of food, just different food. I might agree with you, but others wont. They will sit here and say because the IRS takes out such and such per bill regardless how much they got in tips. I honestly dont know why people are making such a huge deal about this. Why worry about how much you tip. It's better then leaving no tip at all. You arent the one who is paying the taxes, they are. People need to focus on their own lives and finances instead of worrying about others.

The server has to pay taxes on what you should be tipping, that's why. You don't worry about how much you tip because your income doesn't depend on tip income. For servers, it does depend on it. So as long as it's not you, you don't care? Sorry, I just don't understand that kind of attitude AT ALL.

You arent the one who is paying the taxes, they are.

So you never,ever think about how your actions affect others ? Do you think it's OK that it can actually COST a waiter money to serve you and your family ??? How incredibly selfish.

Did you happen to read the replies? Here's one of them:

"I almost didn't want to reply to such an ignorant statement. While you keep that tip money in your pocket, why don't you also bring your own food, cook it yourself, get your own drinks, listen to your own stupid questions about the menu, and listen to your own lame conversations that don’t interest the wait staff one bit, taking up their valuable time which could be spent helping others with a clue. In fact, instead of the wait staff going to bat for you when your food comes up wrong, or over cooked, or needs to be re-plated, why don't you just go back to that crazy, knife yielding chef that screams at everyone yourself. Enjoy using the same silverware instead of having it changed every course; enjoy drinking out of those un-polished, soap lined wine glasses; enjoy trying to figure out without a description what the dishes will be like or what wine best matches it; enjoy having a talent free staff take over the world of restaurants because of a salary base that you think would work. Can you multitask your multitasking? We can.

In this world, waiters get $2.62 per hour or less. Imagine if that was all they got?? That would be...let's see...$5449.60 a year. Can you live on that?? Do you also know that probably 95% of restaurant employees don't have health insurance provided or even subsidized by their employers?? They only place that dream world works is in Las Vegas because of the Unions... That will fall like the auto industry eventually. I would love for you to approach the government about getting these companies to provide health insurance, 401k and salaries. In fact, $52,000 would be a nice start. Until then, shut your pie hole and educate yourself. In fact, how about working in a restaurant for about 6 months as a waiter; and make it a place like Denny’s or a Coney island, then write about why we shouldn’t get tipped. Moron."

I am a chef. As, I do not agree upon the 5 dollar tip. I tip according to the service, and the meal tab. But, let me clarify waiters,& waitresses. Are not breaking, thier backs. Like the chefs are. In my resteraunt they work very little. The worst they have to deal with is people with attitudes. They even admit often, that our jobs as the chefs are way worst, than anything they have to endure. At my establishmetn they earn 4.53 per hour. This is supposed to go up in 2008. I have seen waiters and waitresses leave the resteraunt with 300 dollars a night. For serving. Way less than I could ever make in a day. So, please do not feel to bad for servers.

It's the servers who are going to lose out. I would think that a good number of people will forget or just not bother to tip with cash, or not realize it's not included.

If the prices stay the same as they are, I won't get the dining plan anymore.

I never thought I'd say this, but maybe a mandatory 18% gratuity that restaurants impose on large parties should apply to a party of any size to make sure the servers are paid adequately. Or at least 15%. I guess that would tend to make servers less anxious to do an outstanding job, but then again some may work harder to get an even larger tip. But at least it would keep people from coming in to enjoy the food and service and stiffing the server.

Its free b/c they are paying taxes on the whole amount you should have tipped. Ie- 15% (to go low) on a $100 bill- is $15.00 that they are being taxed on. They pay the taxes and its your tip- in other words- working for free.

Exactly. My daughter is also a server. She works at a local chain restaurant and is paid $4.37 per hour. Taxes are taken out of pay based on the total of the checks she submits (not on the tips she actually makes). Her paycheck for 40 hrs. is usually about $50.

I agree if you can't tip properly, either order less or go to a restaurant you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter