• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gratuity to be removed from DDP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
$2 an hr? I dunno what it is over there in Paris, or anywhere else, but here in DE, they get paid $4 an hr and from what I've heard, they are actually supposed to be start making minimum wage here by 2008.

I think my daughters make $2.13 an hour plus tips. When they get an actual check every other week, sometimes the check is NEGATIVE because from that $2.13 an hour they deduct taxes on their tips from it.

That makes ZERO sense. Free? Since when does it cost for someone to wait on your table? And since when leaving $5 for a tip is free? Oh so I guess $5 is $0 right? Wow, I didnt know that $5 was $0. And Im in accounting? Maybe I need to go back to school or something.

Its free b/c they are paying taxes on the whole amount you should have tipped. Ie- 15% (to go low) on a $100 bill- is $15.00 that they are being taxed on. They pay the taxes and its your tip- in other words- working for free.

$2 an hr? I dunno what it is over there in Paris, or anywhere else, but here in DE, they get paid $4 an hr and from what I've heard, they are actually supposed to be start making minimum wage here by 2008.

Thankfully, our servers get a real salary and don't rely on tips. Depending on where they work in the US they get paid between $2 and $4 an hour. My friend's son gets paid $2.13 an hour at Olive Garden.

Here is a lil something that you all should read. Just to go show, theres some people out there that DO NOT tip at all.

http://www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a259.asp

Did you happen to read the replies? Here's one of them:

"I almost didn't want to reply to such an ignorant statement. While you keep that tip money in your pocket, why don't you also bring your own food, cook it yourself, get your own drinks, listen to your own stupid questions about the menu, and listen to your own lame conversations that don’t interest the wait staff one bit, taking up their valuable time which could be spent helping others with a clue. In fact, instead of the wait staff going to bat for you when your food comes up wrong, or over cooked, or needs to be re-plated, why don't you just go back to that crazy, knife yielding chef that screams at everyone yourself. Enjoy using the same silverware instead of having it changed every course; enjoy drinking out of those un-polished, soap lined wine glasses; enjoy trying to figure out without a description what the dishes will be like or what wine best matches it; enjoy having a talent free staff take over the world of restaurants because of a salary base that you think would work. Can you multitask your multitasking? We can.

In this world, waiters get $2.62 per hour or less. Imagine if that was all they got?? That would be...let's see...$5449.60 a year. Can you live on that?? Do you also know that probably 95% of restaurant employees don't have health insurance provided or even subsidized by their employers?? They only place that dream world works is in Las Vegas because of the Unions... That will fall like the auto industry eventually. I would love for you to approach the government about getting these companies to provide health insurance, 401k and salaries. In fact, $52,000 would be a nice start. Until then, shut your pie hole and educate yourself. In fact, how about working in a restaurant for about 6 months as a waiter; and make it a place like Denny’s or a Coney island, then write about why we shouldn’t get tipped. Moron."

My wife is a waitress/server for a restaurant here in town.

I am an attorney.

Thus, we tip pretty well!

Having said that, I don't think that just because someone can't afford a tip they should stay home.

There are many families that are on a very strict budget and must limit there expenses. Those families should be able to enjoy a good meal as much as I do. With gas prices going up and the overall cost of a vacation, most people are fortunate to get away and relax. The lucky ones like myself who get to take vacations to WDW should not critique individuals on their fiscal capabilities.

ONE MORE TIME.....DISNEY WILL NOT TAKE GRATUITIES OUT OF THE DDP!!!!

First they lower the food quality. then they lower the food quality. Then they start taking out the more expensive items completely off the menu. Now they remove gratuity. Disney has lost their minds. It is official. This is our last year on the free disney dining plan. Even if they offer it next year I will not be using it. Disney is under pressure to keep making more and more money to make the stockholders happy but when will it end? Hotel prices up 40%. ticket prices on the rise. Food going down the toliet. To think I moved to florida because of my love for disney and have just watched it get worse. rant over

Sorry - but this one really tickled my funny bone! The tip money you would be spending on the FREE dining plan would go directly to the servers. Disney wouldn't be making any MORE money off the FREE dining plan. So you would need to compare the tip money you would be spending on the free plan against buying all your food (including tips) OOP to see if you would still come out ahead. Granted, you can control your costs if you are paying everything OOP (even eating all CS if you want to), but when the dining is offered free, I think you'll still come out ahead on the plan with OOP tips.

Now, for people paying for it, yeah, I can see your point.

And for people who live in other states, yes, the servers here make less than $3 per hour and are taxed on that base plus expected tips. If they don't make the tips, they get taxed on them anyway. My understanding is that this policy was put in place to keep servers from cheating the IRS (at least not cheating as much). There are no plans in Florida to raise them up to minimum wage.

Personally, I don't use the DDP because it never made financial sense for me, even during free dining (I usually get an AP or Fla Res discount that benefits me more than the free dining). However, if I were inclined to get the plan, I would want everything included for the convenience factor. If the plan becomes inconvenient, then the "value" to me is reduced. I would have thought that a reasonable increase in price and keeping the gratuity included would have been the better choice. Fortunately, there hasn't been an official announcement, so we can all keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

And for people who live in other states, yes, the servers here make less than $3 per hour and are taxed on that base plus expected tips. If they don't make the tips, they get taxed on them anyway. My understanding is that this policy was put in place to keep servers from cheating the IRS (at least not cheating as much). There are no plans in Florida to raise them up to minimum wage.

And not only that, from their tips the waitresses have to tip out the host/hostess and the bartender where my daughters work.

Hope you're right. People are complaining about bad service on the DDP now, I don't even want to imagine what it'll be like if Disney DOES take gratuities out of it.

And not only that, from their tips the waitresses have to tip out the host/hostess and the bartender where my daughters work.

Since you have first hand info, I never understood the pooling tips thing. Say I had an awesome server and tipped him $20. And the 2 other servers did a lousy job with their table, or got tipped 5% for example, they each got a $5 tip. Does that mean that my awesome server only gets $10 ???

Having said that, I don't think that just because someone can't afford a tip they should stay home.

There are many families that are on a very strict budget and must limit there expenses. Those families should be able to enjoy a good meal as much as I do. With gas prices going up and the overall cost of a vacation, most people are fortunate to get away and relax. The lucky ones like myself who get to take vacations to WDW should not critique individuals on their fiscal capabilities.

I don't think they should stay home, but they should go someplace they can afford. I don't go to restaurants and run up a $200 bill because I can't afford that. I stick with what I can afford. Sometimes it's a nice meal - with a 20% tip - and sometimes it's fast food. If I can't afford the tip that doesn't mean I don't eat, but I don't eat somewhere that a tip is expected. I don't think it's right to limit your expenses by not tipping or not tipping a decent amount.

THANK YOU! Finally someone gets what I am saying!

My wife is a waitress/server for a restaurant here in town.

I am an attorney.

Thus, we tip pretty well!

Since you have first hand info, I never understood the pooling tips thing. Say I had an awesome server and tipped him $20. And the 2 other servers did a lousy job with their table, or got tipped 5% for example, they each got a $5 tip. Does that mean that my awesome server only gets $10 ???

I would have to ask them to be sure about how that works. I don't know if they pool tips with other servers, but I do know from the tips that they personally get they have to give a percentage to the host/hostess and a percentage to the bartender. I will ask them and post back with the info. They are away at school but I will see them this weekend.

I would have to ask them to be sure about how that works. I don't know if they pool tips with other servers, but I do know from the tips that they personally get they have to give a percentage to the host/hostess and a percentage to the bartender. I will ask them and post back with the info. They are away at school but I will see them this weekend.

Thank you :) I do hope I'm wrong, it seems rather unfair.

I don't think they should stay home, but they should go someplace they can afford. I don't go to restaurants and run up a $200 bill because I can't afford that. I stick with what I can afford. Sometimes it's a nice meal - with a 20% tip - and sometimes it's fast food. If I can't afford the tip that doesn't mean I don't eat, but I don't eat somewhere that a tip is expected. I don't think it's right to limit your expenses by not tipping or not tipping a decent amount.

I agree. I think everyone deserves to eat at nice restaurants, take trips to fancy resorts, etc. But I realize not everyone can afford that; and I can't do that as often as I'd like. In this country people should take tips into consideration when judging whether a restaurant is affordable. If I can't afford a projected 15% tip on top of the cost of my meal, I can't afford to eat there. If a $5 tip is all I can swing, I'll only stick to cheaper restaurants.

I am a professional server. I can tell you that here in Michigan i get paid 2.65 an hour. The minimum wage just went up, but because of the Restaurant lobby, the legislators excluded tipped employees. I will therefore continue to to make 2.65 an hour.

It can cost me money to wait on a table. At my establishment I have to give away at least 2.5 percent of my sales. I give one percent of my sales to my bartender and 1.5 percent to my busser. I have to give them this money. I would never dream of not giving it to them because they are providing me a service. I also have to pay taxes. It certainly can COST me money to wait on a tables, depending on the tip.

I can't tell you how much a terrible tip can ruin a night. It makes me feel really bad about myself. I know I am not perfect, but imagine if every time you made a mistake at work people took money from you. I try to apologize when I make mistakes and do everything I can to make it up to the guest, but mistakes do happen.

PLEASE folks, leave 15-20% of you bill to your servers, whether at Disney or at home. If there is a problem with the service please discuss it with your server and or a manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter