• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gratuity to be removed from DDP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlufster

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad. You must
Starting in January 2008, Disney is planning on removing the gratuity from the dining plan. This means that on top of what you are going to be paying for the plan, you are going to have to come up with the gratuity to tip your servers as well. Right now a family of four eating in a table service restaurant usually has a gratuity of around $20-$30 that is included. If this goes through, that extra expense will now be the guests responsibilty. So add an extra $200-$250 when you figure out the price of the plan. Needless to say, this is not going over well with the servers, and I assume it won't go over well with the guests either.

Is the cost per person going down 18%? :confused3 I doubt it. :mad:

Starting in January 2008, Disney is planning on removing the gratuity from the dining plan. This means that on top of what you are going to be paying for the plan, you are going to have to come up with the gratuity to tip your servers as well. Right now a family of four eating in a table service restaurant usually has a gratuity of around $20-$30 that is included. If this goes through, that extra expense will now be the guests responsibilty. So add an extra $200-$250 when you figure out the price of the plan. Needless to say, this is not going over well with the servers, and I assume it won't go over well with the guests either.

Well, I wouldn't expect the servers to be happy about that. My DW and I always extra tip those that provide an extra level of service so it's not totally alien to us but I could imagine that some guests who aren't accustomed to tipping on a regular basis may have trouble with this.

--Mr. DB

Well good thing I'm going this year. But, I may reconsider adding the DDP on future trips.

Just curious, where did you find this information :confused3

Our union rep. at Disney informed us of these changes.
We were told that gratuity will be removed, but that there would be no lowering of the price for the guests.

I am sure glad we are going in Oct.
I must say that would certainly make us really think about DDP in the future!
I will keep all our receipts after the trip & do some figuring...
Hope this is still just rumor...
I LIKE the idea of servers truly having to earn a tip....
Having been a waitress in the past, a guaranteed 18% would have been AWESOME, and my personality would never have let me slack, even w/ the guarantee.
And frankly it helps make the DDP one heck of a deal....maybe not so much w/o it....

Oh great! We're going January 2008 and was looking forward to using the DDP for the first time. Guess we'll have to re-think it now :mad:

Either a lot more people will stop using the DDP OR an awful lot of servers will be getting stiffed by folks who have used the plan in the past. I am so sorry to hear they are making that change. :confused3

I wouldn't even consider the DDP if the tip isn't included. It will just add too much to our OOP costs that it would no longer be a deal for us. We'll go one last time with it the way it is and will never do it again.

I'll believe it when I see it but, as I posted on the recent poll on this subject, it will mean we won't even consider the DDP for our trip in April. Just not worth it with a party of 7 if the gratuity is not included.

Man that really sucks. I think a lot of people are going to find it hard to leave a 18% tip.

When I went to Capt. Jacks last year, 3 adults and 1 child, our bill would have been almost $200. I would have a hard time leaving a $35 tip for a waiter we saw a hanful of times, for food that wasn't that good and a kids meal that was inedible (and I complained to no avail).

I think the waiters are going to end up being stiffed.... by a lot of people.

Either a lot more people will stop using the DDP OR an awful lot of servers will be getting stiffed by folks who have used the plan in the past. I am so sorry to hear they are making that change. :confused3

I image it will be the latter......I feel terrible for the servers.

We'll still use the DDP because for us, it's not about the value, it's about the ease of things. We normally tip extra out of pocket, so I'll just have to be sure to take more tipping cash on future trips.

I wouldn't even consider the DDP if the tip isn't included. It will just add too much to our OOP costs that it would no longer be a deal for us. We'll go one last time with it the way it is and wil never do it again.

My sentiments exactly.

--Mr. DB

We probably wouldn't consider the DDP if the tip wasn't added in - ESPECIALLY if the price of the plan doesn't come down! It's just too much to worry about IMHO, will they dictate how much tip you have to give? Ie. it will calculate the 18% for you at the end of your receipt?

For many guests, that would probably remove the "value" of the DDP. Of course, there will be some that will continue to use it for convenience alone.

for the servers, I think this is a bad sign. I agree, that they will be the ones losing $ on this, not Disney.

so, less "product value" for the same price to guests, plus additional $ needed to tip...

seems like a WIN/LOSE/LOSE to me (Disney/Guest/CM)

We're using the DDP for the first (and I guess last) time in Sept.. b/c it's FREE. We will generally use our DDE card.

We were told that gratuity will be removed, but that there would be no lowering of the price for the guests.

This is just a really sneaky way to raise the price of the DDP, IMO. Please would notice right away if they upped the price in 2008 by 20%...but doing it this way means it will slip by some people...and then they will have a nasty surprise when they get to WDW and find tip isn't included anymore.

I don't have a problem tipping/ calculating/etc, etc... but this just means DDP went up by 15-20%...now, not such a good deal.

Man that really sucks. I think a lot of people are going to find it hard to leave a 18% tip.

When I went to Capt. Jacks last year, 3 adults and 1 child, our bill would have been almost $200. I would have a hard time leaving a $35 tip for a waiter we saw a hanful of times, for food that wasn't that good and a kids meal that was inedible (and I complained to no avail).

I think the waiters are going to end up being stiffed.... by a lot of people.

If the food isn't good, it should be sent back, everywhere, always...even on DDP, or back at home at a restaurant.
If service is poor, tip should reflect that.
There is something to be said for a server EARNING their tip.
Tips on cruise ships have gone the "automated" route...charged to your accunt unless you choose to remove it. Some have found apathy w/ regards to service due to it. I imagine some have found the same w/ DDP. I'm sure a few WDW servers have fallen into the "well, I get the 18% no matter how hard I work...." mantra.
While we do NOT like the extra expense, it should help improve service!

Count me out of the DP in future....we loved it for ease of use and not having to carry cash .
We'll just eat offsite...cheaper all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter