• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gratuity to be removed from DDP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI: If servers report all their tips to their employer AND keep written records they are only taxed on what they actually recieve, with the exception that IRS will pretty much assume AND rule that 8% of gross receipts is a bare minimum to be allocated amongst all tip receiving employees. Often times a server's base pay(often $2/hr or so) is not enough to cover tax and SS withholding on their combined hourly plus tip income, because the tip income is often paid and distributed on a cash basis even if the tip is left on a credit card. This is generally the basis of the comments on "negative $ paychecks".

I once left a two cent tip and a bitter note at Blackie's in Washington DC for a $150 dinner for two because the server was both exceptionally rude and inattentive. She deserved exactly what she got - my two cents worth.

I once left a 100% tip at a small diner in Kissimmee for breakfast for six(one was eating baby food) when the bill came to a whopping $10.99. This was 15 years ago. The waitress went out of her way so many times during a one hour breakfast with our 4 small children(.99 cent pancake breakfast for them, $1.99 for eggs and bacon for my wife and I). She replaced spilled milk, brought out extra juice, washed out our non-spill cups for the kids, kept our coffee filled, and even helped clean up one of our kids when they spilled juice all over themselves. In over 30 years of dining out, including some of the best restaurants in the world, I remember this woman's attention to service to this day above all others. She deserved a great tip.

A friend of ours who was a waitress once received a $2 tip on a $50 dollar meal. Her service was, as always, quite good. She gathered up the tip and ran out into the parking lot to the customers who were pulling away in their Mercedes. She gave them back the $2 with the comment that they obviously needed the $2 more than she needed an insult.:lmao:

If you get REASONABLE service, and this means the GOOD SERVICE you have the right to expect at a restaurant, a 15% (before sales taxes) tip is a REASONABLE starting point. If you can't afford to tip at least 15% you should simply find a less expensive place to eat. 15 to 20% is pretty standard. Anything less is both unreasonable and quite bluntly, rude.

Often times a server's base pay(often $2/hr or so) is not enough to cover tax and SS withholding on their combined hourly plus tip income, because the tip income is often paid and distributed on a cash basis even if the tip is left on a credit card. This is generally the basis of the comments on "negative $ paychecks". .

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. My daughter makes $2.13 an hour plus tips and she said sometimes she gets a check stub with a negative amount because her base pay was not enough to cover her taxes on her tips. And they just adjust it the next pay period when maybe she makes enough base to cover the deficit. She rarely gets a check over $4 or so on "payday" by the time her taxes are taken out.

Oh so just because we can only afford a small tip we shouldnt eat there period? That is so rude of you to think of that. We arent stiffing the server. We are doing what we can afford. Theres a difference there. In my opinion the people who really deserve the tips are the cooks. THEY are the ones that are preparing your food. Not the waiter. All the waiter has to do is take your order, bring your food and give you a check and thats it. I've done a lot more in my old job working at a retail store, then they do and only made $6 an hr, didnt hear me complaining. And what about those who dont tip at all? Theres plenty on people that dont tip. They dont see the purpose or just cant afford to. I think its stupid for those who dont go out to dinner only because they cant afford to tip. Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? You would rather give up spending time with your family and enjoying a nice meal out only because you cant tip. I feel so sorry for those people. Cuz its obvious you care more about the server then your ownself or family. Im sorry Im not gonna be like those people who only go out to eat when they can afford meal and tip. Im not gonna say oh we cant go out to eat cuz we cant afford a thousand dollar tip. If we can afford a tip, fine. If not, oh well. The server will live. They arent gonna die because we only left them a small tip or no tip at all. When I go out to eat, I dont think about tipping the server. I think about spending some quality time with my husband and enjoying good food. When the bill comes, THEN, I think about the tip. I think about how good the food was. How good the service was. I look at all the lil details that most people wouldnt cuz I am a secret shopper. And sometimes I do have to go out to a restraunt.

When I secret shop full service restaurants, I'm required to give a 15-20% tip- isn't that in your guidelines??? If not- gosh- I'm glad I work w/ the companies I work with! LOL

Just an FYI: If servers report all their tips to their employer AND keep written records they are only taxed on what they actually recieve, with the exception that IRS will pretty much assume AND rule that 8% of gross receipts is a bare minimum to be allocated amongst all tip receiving employees. Often times a server's base pay(often $2/hr or so) is not enough to cover tax and SS withholding on their combined hourly plus tip income, because the tip income is often paid and distributed on a cash basis even if the tip is left on a credit card. This is generally the basis of the comments on "negative $ paychecks".

Thank you, I was wondering about this! I know when I worked as a waitress way back in the dark ages, at the end of the night, we had to count our tips & then recorded them on a piece of paper that we turned in to our employer. *THAT* is what we were taxed on & showed up at the end of the year for our W-2's, so we were never taxed on some imaginary figure. We were taxed on exactly what we earned. Of course, we were a small diner so maybe that is what makes the difference? Who knows.

I do know the tips would go down drastically if it wasn't included in any of the plans because in normal course of the day we never ever order an appetizer, entree, dessert for all 3 of our meals (we were on the Premium plan when we went -- I'm assuming if tips were taken out of the DDP, it would probably be taken out of all the plans????)...as it was 1/2 the time we skipped the appetizer. If we were paying out of pocket, we would probably order the meal & drink only. No appetizers, no desserts. Of course, we are a family of 6, so no matter they probably would add gratuity anyway but we would still only order the meal & drink so the tip would be lower than if we were on a plan, because several of those meals would be off the kids menu.

I hope that Disney keeps the tips included in the DDP, but if not I will have to rethink the value.

I do think the servers may suffer, both because people may not realize they now have to tip and because people probably won't be ordering as much food.

I don't agree with tipping (although I do, because it's what is expected). I do think the restaurants should be paying the servers a decent wage and if the server does a good job, then people should tip accordingly. I should not however, be required to pay the servers wages. A tip should be a reward for good service.

No one is forced to take a job as a server. They know what they are getting into.

I have worked in restaurants and if the server was good, they would make a ton of money. If they were bad servers, the tips reflected that (and usually, they wouldn't last there).

I saw several of the good servers walk out with several hundred dollars (that they didn't have to share with anyone). All that for a few hours of work. They didn't get the intial drink orders; the hostess did that. They usually had runners serving the food. They didn't clear the tables; the bussers did that. Still, they would walk out with well over $100 each day (I saw several make $200+).

Here is something to ponder on...what about Sonic? Its fast food. But you dont get out of your car and the people bring you your food. Should you tip them to?

When I'm eating there and the server is waiting on me, yes, I leave a tip. at least 15%. If it's the drive thru, no.

And thank you all that have posted about how the servers pay taxes on the checks submitted! I never knew that! Now I really want to tip more than I already do. :thumbsup2

It's not mandatory but they suggest I leave 15-20% tip and I do. I leave 20%.

When I secret shop full service restaurants, I'm required to give a 15-20% tip- isn't that in your guidelines??? If not- gosh- I'm glad I work w/ the companies I work with! LOL

Ding, Circle gets the square. I keep hearing over and over from people that see the world via rose colored anti depressants that they get great service on DDP... I beg to differ.

DDPers of "the world" unite have the tip removed for bad service. When being seated don't tell the server you are DDP till the end of the meal. If the server and managment gives ya a fit... walk out and don't pay, after all you had no clue that free DDP ment ya have to give them some kinda card.

At some point stop being lambs and bring out your inner Lion King... I am madd as hell about poor service and DDPers being treated as second rate dinners and I am not gonna take it this year.

You seem to get an awful lot of poor service. Maybe an attitude adjustment on your part might turn that around?

It's not mandatory but they suggest I leave 15-20% tip and I do. I leave 20%.

You leave 20% if you are doing secret shopping but if going out with your family you leave $5 no matter what the total is? Why do you think they suggest that you leave 15-20%?

8% of your ticket totals is what the IRS deems mandatory.

$100 ticket

You must report $8

The server is taxed on $8 at their tax rate, usually under 30%.

So on $100 the IRS takes $2.40 out of your check if you have reached the 30% tax threshold.

Some restaurants make you report the minimum 8% of the total tickets, some make you report more of a percent of total tickets and then finally some make you report ACTUAL tip totals.

My wife is a waitress/server for a restaurant here in town.

I am an attorney.

Thus, we tip pretty well!

Having said that, I don't think that just because someone can't afford a tip they should stay home.

There are many families that are on a very strict budget and must limit there expenses. Those families should be able to enjoy a good meal as much as I do. With gas prices going up and the overall cost of a vacation, most people are fortunate to get away and relax. The lucky ones like myself who get to take vacations to WDW should not critique individuals on their fiscal capabilities.

Well said, some pretty mean things are being said right now, especially from one individual who apoloized for the comments they made and still continue to make rude ones. What about the person who leaves a big tip? Are the server still taxed only on the bill? I am aking because here everyone makes minimum wage. Maybe people should lobby there for wait staff and anyone else who makes under to start at min wage.

Nope you read right $5. We dont go by the amount of the check. We go by service. Im sorry you dont like it. Everyone has their own way of tipping. I dont complain about how much everyone else tips, so why are you? Most of the time we go out to eat is only about $20 - $25, so they are getting about a 20% tip!

:lmao:

I think this discussion has gone so far from the original post, it is time to close it.

When and if the change to the DDP is made official, we will post a new thread.

We will all walk away from the tipping issue, leaving it at what is standard practice in this country IS 15-20%. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter