*FREE or CHEAP things to do on-site during non-park days*

Boardwalk is a favorite of mine in the evening especially you can shop eat a pizza at the dock walk or better yet take a boat ride across to yacht and beach resorts the yacht has free movie night on the beach

Along with this I'd add that watching Illuminations from the bridge between BC and BW is nice and even the view of the DHS fireworks (not sure if they're still doing this, we were there when they were doing the Frozen fireworks) is nice from the Yacht and BC beaches.

Last edited:
We did the Campfire sing along at Fort Wilderness for free.

Adding to this: (from WDW website)
Circle D Ranch
Exploring the Ranch (free)

Stroll through the stables to see Cinderella’s Ponies and the majestic horses of Main Street, U.S.A.. You can watch the blacksmith make horseshoes and affix them to horses’ hooves, and discover the Dragon Calliope—the horse-drawn musical instrument that Walt Disney purchased for the Mickey Mouse Club Circus Parade at Disneyland Park in the 1950s.

Animal lovers of all ages will delight in the variety of breeds that live at Tri-Circle-D Ranch, including Appaloosas, Arabians, Belgians, Clydesdales, paint horses, Percherons and quarter horses, plus Shetland ponies

There are also Pony Rides $8 and
45 min trail rides (horseback) $46 (not free or cheap but we love them)

Awesome guys! I'm loving these suggestions! So we are having trouble deciding whether to watch the MK fireworks from The Contemporary Lounge or the Poly. We want to go to both but the current plan is to go to trader sams, have a drink and some food and watch the Electrical Water Pageant from there then jump on the monorail to the California Grill Lounge to watch the Fireworks. Are we making the right choices here? :)

I've never watched the FW from either so can't answer that but from what I hear getting into Trader Sam's can be challenging. Another suggestion for just a fun thing to do. Go to any park, stand close to the bus lines and hop on the first resort bus to appear. Go tour that resort, maybe have a drink. Hop on the first park bus to arrive, repeat the resort roulette again. No cheating, no saying you don't want to go to that resort (unless it's the resort you are staying at). Alternatively, just go to the deluxe section of the bus stop, or the moderate section or the value section and only tour those kinds of resorts.

I've never watched the FW from either so can't answer that but from what I hear getting into Trader Sam's can be challenging. Another suggestion for just a fun thing to do. Go to any park, stand close to the bus lines and hop on the first resort bus to appear. Go tour that resort, maybe have a drink. Hop on the first park bus to arrive, repeat the resort roulette again. No cheating, no saying you don't want to go to that resort (unless it's the resort you are staying at). Alternatively, just go to the deluxe section of the bus stop, or the moderate section or the value section and only tour those kinds of resorts.
I love this idea! Yeah we are worried about getting into Trader Sam's, especially with going on a Saturday. But if we don't make it in it won't be the end of the world. We have lots of backup plans thanks to you guys.

Character drawing class at Art of Animation resort at 11:00, 2:00 or 5:00
Definitely the Boma food tour

Character drawing class at Art of Animation resort at 11:00, 2:00 or 5:00
Definitely the Boma food tour
Oh Character Drawing Class sounds great! My travel partner is an artist. I bet she would find it interesting! Added to the list. thanks so much. :)

Hello fellow DISers! So I need some help. A friend and I are coming down for MNSSHP on 9/25/15. We are on a budget and could only afford the one park party ticket but will be there on the 26th as well. We'd love to visit another park of course but that's just not in the cards. I'm compiling a list of fun Free or Cheap things to do on-site without a park ticket. I have a pretty big list going so far but I would love more options. Can you help me budget board folks? :)
Although we have never seen him, many have spoke of piano Bob and POR. Supposed to be a fun show to watch in the evening. That is on our to do list for next time we are at DW.

Hello fellow DISers! So I need some help. A friend and I are coming down for MNSSHP on 9/25/15. We are on a budget and could only afford the one park party ticket but will be there on the 26th as well. We'd love to visit another park of course but that's just not in the cards. I'm compiling a list of fun Free or Cheap things to do on-site without a park ticket. I have a pretty big list going so far but I would love more options. Can you help me budget board folks? :)
We are big CSR fans as well. We love strolling around the lake there and having gelato too. It is so beautiful at nightime with all there fountains, etc. Feels like we are in mexico.

Awesome guys! I'm loving these suggestions! So we are having trouble deciding whether to watch the MK fireworks from The Contemporary Lounge or the Poly. We want to go to both but the current plan is to go to trader sams, have a drink and some food and watch the Electrical Water Pageant from there then jump on the monorail to the California Grill Lounge to watch the Fireworks. Are we making the right choices here? :)

You've mentioned the California Grill Lounge a couple of times, but also the CR 4th floor viewing area was mentioned. Without a reservation, I think it's pretty doubtful that you'd be let up to the California Grill. Maybe that isn't what you meant, but I just wanted to raise it. They check for your reservation before they let people on the elevator up to the California Grill. I've been trying to get a reservation there for our December trip with no luck on any of the nights we'll be there.

I do think, however, that your plan sounds like fun.

Yes, Yee-Haw Bob at POR is a lot of fun - lots of audience participation. Not completely free, as you really need to buy a drink while you're there. There is also live music at POFQ most evenings.

If you are over at POR, it's also fun to do a horse-drawn carriage ride through the resort. Not free, of course - I think it was $35 a few years back and it may have gone up by now. And then you can ride the boat to Downtown Disney and back.

AKL usually has several activities, besides the excellent restaurant tour. We have painted eggs, learned African drumming techniques, listened to African stories around the campfire, and watched the animals with night-vision glasses. I also did the art tour (also free) and learned about the amazing and authentic African art around the resort.

We did a "transportation day." We took a bus to Epcot, then rode the monorail to the TTC. We did a loop on the parking lot tram which took us back to the TTC. We then took the ferry over to MK, and a boat to Wilderness Lodge. We then took a bus to DHS and did the boat loop to Epcot and back. Then we took the bus to POFQ (or maybe OKW... can't remember which) and a boat to DTD. From DTD we went back to our resort. As corny as it sounds, it was LOTS of fun- and restful (we were going to MNSSHP that evening).

That sounds like a BLAST!!! We are transportation junkies in my house, so this would be right up our alley!

Circle D Ranch

Stroll through the stables to see Cinderella’s Ponies and the majestic horses of Main Street, U.S.A.. You can watch the blacksmith make horseshoes and affix them to horses’ hooves, and discover the Dragon Calliope—the horse-drawn musical instrument that Walt Disney purchased for the Mickey Mouse Club Circus Parade at Disneyland Park in the 1950s.

Animal lovers of all ages will delight in the variety of breeds that live at Tri-Circle-D Ranch, including Appaloosas, Arabians, Belgians, Clydesdales, paint horses, Percherons and quarter horses, plus Shetland ponies

We do this each time. FW is so relaxing, and so much to do. We do the Ranch, hang out on the porch at Trail's End, let the kids burn off steam on the playground, hit the beach for some Tetherball, etc. It kills a good part of a day.

We've been discussing the subject of this thread and have opted to ditch our usual day spent in one of the waterparks in favor of a full "non-park" day! After all these years, and so many visits, there is still so much we've not done!

My sister is not a Disney fan, I know... and we have the same parents!!! Anyway she has a little place she has bought for retirement in FL and we go down a couple of times a year. So for me to get my Disney fix she takes me to Disney, we go to Downtown Disney or what ever the new name is and we get a boat to PO French Quarter, walk through the resort, catch a bus to Epcot, board the Monorail to MK get off take a boat to the Grand Floridian take a bus to the Studios or AK and then catch a bus back to a resort and then catch another bus back to DTD. We make it fun we take pictures just outside of each park. And we laugh and have so much fun. Cost nothing except we do stop and get a soda or a snack.

Circle D Ranch

Oh wow, just shown this to my animal mad 13 year old and we're definitely going to do this while my husband and younger daughter do their "Star Wars day". Great suggestion :-)

OK, quick question. We are going in June and we have a reservation for California Grill at 8:55. If FW are still at 9 that night, do you think we could go a little earlier, check in and then eat after the Fireworks? We are just going for dessert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter