• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Dining in 2007?

Blaynexox said:
Okay. So ive never been to Disney before and Im new to all this so BARE WITH ME PLEASE! .. Me and my boyfriend are going to Disney in February for the first time. . i want to book the disney dining plan. When you say "free dining plan" do you mean that it was actually FREE to eat at disney for every day of your stay?? That would be amazing!

That's right, FREE!!! it's a huge saving.. but you have to put up with the heat. The offer comes out in April (most likely) for travel August thru End of September.

Castillo Mom said:
Boy, this has been quite an active thread over the last few weeks.

I called WDW earlier today to make a payment on my reservation. I don't usually ask questions like this because I know that codes or discounts for summer typically come out in April/May. Anyway, so I asked THE question about Free Dining. Without skipping a beat she said yes, they will have a Free Dining pkg.

Of course I know there are no guarantees, a lot could change over the next few months. Just wanted to report what I heard.

Castillo Mom said:
Boy, this has been quite an active thread over the last few weeks.

I called WDW earlier today to make a payment on my reservation. I don't usually ask questions like this because I know that codes or discounts for summer typically come out in April/May. Anyway, so I asked THE question about Free Dining. Without skipping a beat she said yes, they will have a Free Dining pkg.

Of course I know there are no guarantees, a lot could change over the next few months. Just wanted to report what I heard.

I am SO glad that you asked. Free dining has been such a savings for our family, the only way that we can go each year. We have experienced some of the hurricane problems, and I have to say that Disney does a great job keeping everyone safe, There is no place that I would rather be. THANK YOU for calling, now to tell DH!!!!!!

I would love to stay away from WDW during the free dining period but I have already booked Columbus Day and it's usually in the last throes by then.

TDC Nala said:
I would love to stay away from WDW during the free dining period but I have already booked Columbus Day and it's usually in the last throes by then.

Why would you want to stay away during Free Dining?:confused3

LBelle said:
Why would you want to stay away during Free Dining?:confused3

I am not eligible to use it and it fills up the restaurants.

I purchased it through DVC last Labor Day, which was pretty much the equivalent of getting it free with a rack rate room at Pop Century and a ticket (which I also don't need). It was fun to use but way too much food for me. I don't like eating because I feel like I have to.

TDC Nala said:
I am not eligible to use it and it fills up the restaurants.

I purchased it through DVC last Labor Day, which was pretty much the equivalent of getting it free with a rack rate room at Pop Century and a ticket (which I also don't need). It was fun to use but way too much food for me. I don't like eating because I feel like I have to.

Thanks!! I understand now!!!

Well free DDP again is starting to look almost guaranteed, no?
Call me a skeptic but I can't help suspect it's a ploy to get booked full for an otherwise slow time at WDW. What incentive would WDW have to offer free DDP if everyone is already rushing to book in anticipation of it? :confused3

As tempting as it would be to switch my May plans to Free Dining time, I think the heat, hurricane risk, and crowds (both parks & restaurants), are enough discouragement to reconsider. :sad2:
The $$ savings is VERY tempting though! :teeth:
And I'm happy that IF it happens some families that otherwise couldn't afford WDW will be able to share the magic. :love:

GOODoldPAL said:
Well free DDP again is starting to look almost guaranteed, no?
Call me a skeptic but I can't help suspect it's a ploy to get booked full for an otherwise slow time at WDW. What incentive would WDW have to offer free DDP if everyone is already rushing to book in anticipation of it? :confused3

As tempting as it would be to switch my May plans to Free Dining time, I think the heat, hurricane risk, and crowds (both parks & restaurants), are enough discouragement to reconsider. :sad2:
The $$ savings is VERY tempting though! :teeth:
And I'm happy that IF it happens some families that otherwise couldn't afford WDW will be able to share the magic. :love:

I've been in May & August and found the parks more crowded in May. August we walked on the rides all week & never had a need for fastpass.

We're deciding now whether to move up our June trip. Free dining would start about 5 weeks after we leave. It's tempting.

jjohnson said:
I've been in May & August and found the parks more crowded in May. August we walked on the rides all week & never had a need for fastpass.

We're deciding now whether to move up our June trip. Free dining would start about 5 weeks after we leave. It's tempting.

I totally agree with the post about May being much busier than end of August crowds!!! We've barely had to use the fastpass system in Aug. and Sept.!! I think it's a great time to go ESPECIALLY with Free Dining!!!!!:thumbsup2

jjohnson said:

Yes it is tempting especially only a 5 week difference. :scratchin

I've been in June & August - both crowded IMHO - but by getting up early with a plan & fast pass, both were manageable to us. I doubt we ever waited more than 10 mins for a ride.
I don't expect it to be different in May since we aren't going during Grad or Cheerleader week or on/near Holiday or any other event (just like June & August).

My point was; with people clamoring to hop on the Free Dining train, it just may BECOME as crowded as Christmas-New Year time.
Will Free Dining time soon resemble Christmas time @ WDW if it becomes almost as popular? :confused3
Also, as years pass, past trips vs upcoming trips may be like comparing apples to oranges. According to statistics, if a visitor goes the exact dates he went in yr 2000, 2002, or 2004 for example, WDW will likely be far more crowded 2, 4 or 6 yrs later, and the numbers are growing (just like the world population).

I just pray people going for free dining don't lose their family vacation perspective should it be mobbed.

I suppose we can never really know what we may be in for when it comes to crowds at WDW!!! I guess that it doesn't bother me too much because, although the rides are important, there is always sooo much more to do that doesn't involve another line!!! We've been enough so I just like to soak it all up and have a no-pressure holiday!!! As long as I'm on the ball with making ADRs then everything else is just fine!!! :)

It was Memorial Day week when we went so that probably didn't help the crowd situation. I just took a quick look at touring plans dot com and end of May is 8's & 9's but mid/end of Aug is 6's & 7's.

DH & I need to make a decision soon it's our 7mo window with DVC in 2 weeks. I have 4 "adult" children so we would save a fortune going with the free dining instead.

jjohnson said:
It was Memorial Day week when we went so that probably didn't help the crowd situation. I just took a quick look at touring plans dot com and end of May is 8's & 9's but mid/end of Aug is 6's & 7's.

DH & I need to make a decision soon it's our 7mo window with DVC in 2 weeks. I have 4 "adult" children so we would save a fortune going with the free dining instead.

Same here....well, almost 3 sons...21, 18 and a 10 year old that is as big as me!!! We could NEVER afford to feed them Disney style without the free dining!!!

GOODoldPAL said:
Yes it is tempting especially only a 5 week difference. :scratchin

I've been in June & August - both crowded IMHO - but by getting up early with a plan & fast pass, both were manageable to us. I doubt we ever waited more than 10 mins for a ride.
I don't expect it to be different in May since we aren't going during Grad or Cheerleader week or on/near Holiday or any other event (just like June & August).

My point was; with people clamoring to hop on the Free Dining train, it just may BECOME as crowded as Christmas-New Year time.
Will Free Dining time soon resemble Christmas time @ WDW if it becomes almost as popular? :confused3
Also, as years pass, past trips vs upcoming trips may be like comparing apples to oranges. According to statistics, if a visitor goes the exact dates he went in yr 2000, 2002, or 2004 for example, WDW will likely be far more crowded 2, 4 or 6 yrs later, and the numbers are growing (just like the world population).

I just pray people going for free dining don't lose their family vacation perspective should it be mobbed.
Hmm, is free dining really that crowded?? I know it brings the crowds to a higher level than they normally would be at that time of the year, but is it really a mob scene??

laceemouse said:
Hmm, is free dining really that crowded?? I know it brings the crowds to a higher level than they normally would be at that time of the year, but is it really a mob scene??

Not at all!!! We've been the last 2 years and hardly ever had to use a fastpass!!! Just have to make sure you have all your ADRs!!!

jjohnson said:

We too plan to go during the free dining, if offered, but plan to do a DVC split stay. We hope to do about 4 days of the free ddp, then move to a 2 bedroom at the BCV. We are also traveling with the adult kids, but with the free ddp, you have to accommodate the kids by getting several rooms, and by paying extra adult fees per head per room when you exceed 2. This is something you never have to do at the DVC. So we are crunching the numbers to see if the free is truly free to us, because we will need at least 2 rooms at the minimum and that is 4 adults in one room meaning an extra $20 a day if staying at a value resort. We figure if we do a split stay we can eat at all of the good places the first 4 days, then chill at the BCV the last 5 days without the ddp. We do find getting the ddp for the entire stay is a killer for us, so thought we would try it differently this time.

n2mm said:
We too plan to go during the free dining, if offered, but plan to do a DVC split stay. We hope to do about 4 days of the free ddp, then move to a 2 bedroom at the BCV. We are also traveling with the adult kids, but with the free ddp, you have to accommodate the kids by getting several rooms, and by paying extra adult fees per head per room when you exceed 2. This is something you never have to do at the DVC. So we are crunching the numbers to see if the free is truly free to us, because we will need at least 2 rooms at the minimum and that is 4 adults in one room meaning an extra $20 a day if staying at a value resort. We figure if we do a split stay we can eat at all of the good places the first 4 days, then chill at the BCV the last 5 days without the ddp. We do find getting the ddp for the entire stay is a killer for us, so thought we would try it differently this time.

Great minds think alike :goodvibes I'm working on the same type of plan but I'm going to try & get BWV

We are also tossing around the free dining for next fall, in conjunction with a immediate follow up stay at a DVC resort. I did All Star last year (only) and really could have used a DVC visit...badly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter