For all of you worried that Happily Ever After won't be a good replacement for Wishes

I haven't been to Disney in 10 years. Last time I went, I was 12 and my mom had planned the trip extensively. She referred to "Wishes" repeatedly as just watching Tinker Bell fly from the castle. I was all geared up and excited just to see Tinker Bell fly, and then it turned out it was a whole fireworks show! I will always remember Tink flying, though, and I'm glad they've kept that element. I'm excited to see "Happily Ever After" when my husband and I go this fall. I get teary eyed when they sing the words "happily ever after" each time.

interesting story about Wishes and the song. Back when they did really cool special events for APholders we got the opportunity to listen to Steve Davison, creator of Wishes and many, many other Disney shows, talk about Wishes, how every burst has a meaning and the story that it tells. Anyways he said that they were casting for the little girl who would sing in the show, they auditioned hundreds of kids but still couldn't get the sound right, until one day the daughter of a person involved in the show came with her parent to work and they just had her sing on a whim and everyone loved her voice.
Now I am hearing people on both sides, the ones that loved her rendition and the ones who did not :)
Same will be with this new show, some will love the song and some won't. I cannot wait to see it in person on Friday

Wow, I watched the video and got all teary eyed too. I LOVE it and can't wait to see the show in September!

I am not wowed by the singers, even though majority opinion would suggest they are "wow worthy." This version is not tear-inducing for me, but I'm glad that so many of you find it moving. IMHO it just doesn't capture the "classic" magic of Wishes--but I'm hoping I'll like it more in person.

I am not wowed by the singers, even though majority opinion would suggest they are "wow worthy." This version is not tear-inducing for me, but I'm glad that so many of you find it moving. IMHO it just doesn't capture the "classic" magic of Wishes--but I'm hoping I'll like it more in person.
I think "in person" is a big part of it. After a whole day of experiencing the most magical place on earth, any decent fireworks show will seem better.
And part of my enjoyment of Wishes was sharing in the joy of others near as they watched Wishes for the 1st time.

there's a reason why there are not a lot of fireworks in the new SWaGS show.
Happily Ever After will be amazing, lots of fireworks and 18 minutes long. I'm sure you will enjoy it

Curious what it is? Is it the fires lately? I just saw the StaGS for the first time yesterday and found it pretty underwhelming.

I'm looking forward to new show, but kind of bummed that we can't watch from Fantasyland anymore...if we want the full effect. After seeing Wishes so many times we had been watching from FL the past several years and really liked it. Cramming into the HUB and protecting turf for 45 minutes grew tiresome after enough trips. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to new show, but kind of bummed that we can't watch from Fantasyland anymore...if we want the full effect. After seeing Wishes so many times we had been watching from FL the past several years and really liked it. Cramming into the HUB and protecting turf for 45 minutes grew tiresome after enough trips. Oh well.

I read some speculation that there may be projections on the rear of the Castle as well!

Curious what it is? Is it the fires lately? I just saw the StaGS for the first time yesterday and found it pretty underwhelming.
They had to move the fireworks launching area from inside the park (it used to be in the backlot tour area) to outside the park because of TSLand and SWLand construction.
Now being outside the park it is very close to World Dr. and Osceola Pkwy so they can't use as many or as big of fireworks because they would have to shut down both roads for a period of time every night to clear fireworks. These are 2 heavily traveled roads so that was not an option.
Wishes, and I am assuming HEA also need to shut down a road but that is backstage of MK and it's only used by CM so it's not that inconvenient

I don't know that I'd use the term "wowed" to describe my feelings on the singers. They ain't Celine Dion and Pavarotti lol, but they are talented and the suit the song. I think the song itself hit me more than the singers...and when the choir came in...THAT hit me hard.

It takes a LOT for me to get on board with change at Disney. I may be one of the few who detested Spectromagic, partially because it replaced my beloved MSEP at the time and also I hated hated hated that song (and the creepy clown faced dudes). But while I loved Wishes, I was never that moved by the shmaltzy kid-sing or the over all tone. It was on par with Fantasy in the Sky. And it's been around for so long, that the magic was wearing thin. To the point where, GASP, we had begun skipping the show to do other stuff!

Now if only they would get to work in illuminations. I love that show but MAN oh MAN it totally comes to a screeching halt in the middle with the stupid globe. The holiday ending they do on that show is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen, and if they can do that, they can do anything.

Yes, me too, the latest Disneyparks video "got me with the Disney magic chills" and I was one of the extreme stubborn resistant for Wishes.....still not 100% giving into the male and female singer just yet, but the choir, the instrumentals, the visuals, tinkerbell......YES!!!!!

dizneygirl....ifyou are local or nearby WDW then wait to see it live.

I love all the debate about a changing night time show. I'm sure I'm in the vast minority, but I really couldn't care ... the crowds alone kept me from ever wanting to watch the show live from Magic Kingdom (we only travel in the summer) ... so the closest I've been is from the California Grill patio. Thus, I have little emotional attachment to it.

Now when they inevitably decide to replace (or "update") Illuminations ? Then my wife is going to riot.

Now when they inevitably decide to replace (or "update") Illuminations ? Then my wife is going to riot.

It just shows how subjective all this is - I miss the old Illuminations terribly. I've never loved Illuminations: Reflections of Earth no matter how hard I try. I'll watch it if I'm there but it's not a must do for me. I adore Wishes so I'm hoping there isn't a Reflections of Earth situation for me when Happily Ever After starts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter