Feelings as DVC Member on DDP?

Don't like the DDP so I don't use it. Very, very happy though that Disney has found a way to make TS dining accessable to more folks.

Why so much stake put in not admitting that DDP has had an impact on the selections available at WDW restaurants?
I think a lot of it is that people actually believe that the reality is nothing like some folks would like others to believe, and those folks tend to use discussions like these, if left unrebutted, as a platform for peddling their own distorted sense of reality. I think it is better for everyone to have their say, say what they believe, rather than leaving contrary folks an unrebutted soap-box -- for what reason? No good reason I can see.

This is an interesting discussion and one that I suspect is occurring on many internet sites.

We also just came back from WDW. We weren't and haven't been crazy about the food. What has changed for us, though, (and it doesn't matter what the cause is) is entree size and in particular, beef entree size. Now before you get crazy, understand that we dine out frequently in the NY metro area. Portion sizes do change but not as dramatically as we have seen at WDW. My DH ordered a beef tenderloin at Chef de France (your fave, Bicker, I know) and was appalled at the size. It was literally a golf ball. Now normally speaking, that works for me because I'm a smaller person. But for him, after walking miles throughout the park all day and really not eating a regular meal, it was far too small. Luckily he supplemented it with an appetizer (rubbery escargot) and a dessert. This pushed the price far higher than the quality given (our perception, not others, obviously). On the DDP it would have been fine. A la carte it was a travesty. Interestingly enough, our tuna entrees (my son's and mine) were huge. Yes, tuna is better for you. But it's also quite expensive to serve and the portion difference was amazing. The reason? I have my doubts that it's heart healthy. I suspect that more people order beef on the DDP so they cut the size of the entree to avoid waste and to increase the profit.

Can I prove it? Absolutely not. Nor do I intend to fight about it. It is what it is. We did, however, cancel the rest of our ADRs and eat offsite for the remainder of the trip. This was my husband's decision. And truthfully, I've never seen him riled up about food before. But taking into account size and quality (and I know the latter is personal), we felt that a la carte ordering was a huge rip off. So if we choose to eat onsite in the future, we'll do the DDP. It's a lose, lose for us basically because for us the quality and quantity has declined.

As an aside, I read your Spoodles review, Bicker. When I was last there, the lemon chicken was just that. Lemon chicken. There wasn't a caper or spicy black olive in sight. I'm glad they got back on track. It was one of my favorite entrees at Spoodles.

You must have gone to some other Chefs de France :), because the escargots I had were heavenly! The beef tenderloin was about 7 oz, which is almost twice the size an average person should eat. My wife shared a few bites with me, and left a little bit over. The perch entree I had was pretty substantial, for a fish dish, IMHO.

Viki, the DDP didn't begin until 2005 so if Spoodles changed the menu in 2004 it would be hard to blame the DDP for it I think.

Gina, we've noticed smaller servings in some instances too but thought it was at least partially due to the trend for healthier servings across the board. And all servings we've had were still plenty lare enough although we've not received a golf ball sized steak. We would not be pleased either. When we had that steak a couple of trips ago....maybe last April/May?...it was probably that 7oz that bicker had. My husband does think prices have increased enough especially at the signature restaurants that a few spots are on his do not do list. Could this be due to the DDP? Maybe. Are the meals a better deal on the DDP....yes.

Well, I think I've exhausted any input I have for this thread but I'm glad it has become so typically DIS dining board friendly. Happy Disney Dining everyone.

Why so much stake put in not admitting that DDP has had an impact on the selections available at WDW restaurants?

For the same reason some will not admit that the DDP has "not" had an impact.

It would not bother me in the least if the DDP was responsible for menu changes. However in my personal experiences I don't feel that to be the case, nor I have been given any evidence to support the theory. I have read opinions about the fact that the DDP is to blame.

So while yes done of this is a serious issue, just differences of opinion.

Irregardless of whether changes have occurred or not due to the DDP, we like the DDP, hope they keep it and do not feel any menu changes have reduced our enjoyment of dining at WDW.

Certainly if anyone feels different they must make the choice of whether to accept the changes or dine elsewhere.

For the same reason some will not admit that the DDP has "not" had an impact.

It would not bother me in the least if the DDP was responsible for menu changes. However in my personal experiences I don't feel that to be the case, nor I have been given any evidence to support the theory. I have read opinions about the fact that the DDP is to blame.

So while yes done of this is a serious issue, just differences of opinion.

Irregardless of whether changes have occurred or not due to the DDP, we like the DDP, hope they keep it and do not feel any menu changes have reduced our enjoyment of dining at WDW.

Certainly if anyone feels different they must make the choice of whether to accept the changes or dine elsewhere.

You've been given evidence, but you choose to ignore it, time and again.

Personal opinions aren't evidence.

Thank you Bicker. I am not going to argue over this, and it certainly is not some personal crusade I have. If I am going to expend that much time and energy getting upset over something, it certainly won't be something as mundane as Disney dining.

But as Bicker said, everyone has presented opinions. As I stated certainly some feel the DDP has had a negative affect on Disney dining, for me personally I have not seen that affect and while I can respect that other's opinions are different from mine, I don't agree with the "opinion" that DDP has ruined Disney dining.

We will agree to disagree and I for one will continue to enjoy my dining experiences at Disney. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter