Feelings as DVC Member on DDP?

tfc3rid

DIS Veteran
As DVC members, we most likely visit Disney property more often that other guests...

What is your opinion on the impact of the Disney Dining Plan on WDW dining?? I'm curious because it seems to me that the variety that used to be prevalent isn't there anymore...

We loved the dining plan, we loved eating at other restaurants that just our favorites. I found the menus to be fine. We even had lobster at Capt. Jacks. And there is so much food!

We loved the DDP. We do not see any negative affect on the offerings caused by the plan. I think items come and go and some items just happened to go at the same time DDP became popular and it got blamed. ::yes::

I also think everything that happens at Disney is put under a microscope by some and they see things there that happen elsewhere but never notice. All restaurants change their menu but you won't see pages of discussions about the fact that Chili's no longer is offering a certain item.

I personally feel the DDP has been a contributing factor, but not the only factor, to the menu changes we've seen throughout the resort since the DDP was first offered.

Restaurants do adjust menus, but it also seems strange that almost all the restaurant specific specialty items have been removed WDW-wide, and that the menus have become quite "standardized" throughout the WDW operated restaraunts. There are exceptions, of course, like the privately operated EPCOT restaurants, the signature restarants that take more credits, the specially "themed" restaurants still have some specific items...but suddenly many of the resort restaurants have added the identical "steak salad" and French Fries are pretty generic, now. It used to be that some had curly fries, and some had crinkle cut, steak fries or shoe strings. Now they are all the generic, standard, French Fry. Signature items, like sauces and dressings, have also been standardized through much of the resort.

Again, I think this is a general cost cutting trend at WDW, to which the DDP has been a contributing factor, but not the sole reason responsible.

I've posted this before, but a chef from Jiko confided last August, during free DDP days, that items have been removed from both Jiko and FF's menus specifically because of FREE dining.

IMO, ANy reasonable person can see that the DDP is ruining the Disney dining magic.

From ending takeout to Olivia's to stripping all the interesting menu items, the DDP is a loss leader and a pyramid scheme that is dumbing down the experience.

There were dining plans before that DIDN'T have this effect, because they were priced more accurately.

The very first people to use the DDP got a good deal. It's getting less and less good because the quality of the food items is down, as well as the variety.

We loved the DDP. We do not see any negative affect on the offerings caused by the plan. I think items come and go and some items just happened to go at the same time DDP became popular and it got blamed. ::yes::

I also think everything that happens at Disney is put under a microscope by some and they see things there that happen elsewhere but never notice. All restaurants change their menu but you won't see pages of discussions about the fact that Chili's no longer is offering a certain item.

I completely agree, Sammie.

There is the same wide variety that there always has been IMO. Every trip we've taken since this debate has started, I keep wondering where people are eating to think everything is the same everywhere.:confused3

I do agree with Chuck about some menu items becoming more standarized but only to an extent. Buying all the same condiments probably does save WDW bucks.

But to blame that on the DDP is overly simplistic in my mind.

As to the fries being the same, penne pasta offered at most of the mid range resort restaurants (albeit with different sauces and meats), I have a different theory. Besides saving some money for WDW by buying in mega bulk, it makes it easier for all the diabetics out there to count the carbs. That is one complaint I've seen about WDW dining. Chefs go above and beyond to help those with food allergies or to provide sugar free desserts, etc.. but are unable to give a carb count. By standardizing some of the carbs, I'm hoping that one day we will be able to get that info.

Obviosly some OKW guests dislike the changes at Olivia's. But to blame the DDP seems to ignore the fact that there was resportedly a new manager who instituted the changes. And perhaps the changes in carryout for Olivia's had more to do with this than the DDP.

IMO, ANy reasonable person can see that the DDP is ruining the Disney dining magic.

I guess that makes me unreasonable then. :rotfl: I will admit that the DDP has caused changes but any reasonable person can see that the changes as to whether they have ruined anything is subjective and strickly one's opinion.

We just got finished with the SSR bashing, can we please not start a DDP bashing thread. :thumbsup2 There are enough of those on the Dining forums to make one's head spin.

Jodi, what items have been removed since the DDP?

Yikes, I forgot to respond to the original question. We do like the plan and are grateful it is offered to DVCers. It is convenient, fun and offers good value.

However, we prefer table service meals so have a tough time using the CS. We've ended up using all our QS credits but not without some discussions.:rotfl: If there were ever to be a 2 TS option, we'd be all over it!

I completely agree, Sammie.

There is the same wide variety that there always has been IMO. Every trip we've taken since this debate has started, I keep wondering where people are eating to think everything is the same everywhere.:confused3

I do agree with Chuck about some menu items becoming more standarized but only to an extent. Buying all the same condiments probably does save WDW bucks.

But to blame that on the DDP is overly simplistic in my mind.

As to the fries being the same, penne pasta offered at most of the mid range resort restaurants (albeit with different sauces and meats), I have a different theory. Besides saving some money for WDW by buying in mega bulk, it makes it easier for all the diabetics out there to count the carbs. That is one complaint I've seen about WDW dining. Chefs go above and beyond to help those with food allergies or to provide sugar free desserts, etc.. but are unable to give a carb count. By standardizing some of the carbs, I'm hoping that one day we will be able to get that info.

Obviosly some OKW guests dislike the changes at Olivia's. But to blame the DDP seems to ignore the fact that there was resportedly a new manager who instituted the changes. And perhaps the changes in carryout for Olivia's had more to do with this than the DDP.

WHAT?????????????????????????????

Conch fritters. GONE. Key lime pies. GONE! Wild game at Yachtsman Steakhouse. GONE!

and on and on.

ANd there are plenty of reports that the DDP was the direct cause of them killing takeout at Olivia's.

I guess that makes me unreasonable then. :rotfl: I will admit that the DDP has caused changes but any reasonable person can see that the changes as to whether they have ruined anything is subjective and strickly one's opinion.

We just got finished with the SSR bashing, can we please not start a DDP bashing thread. :thumbsup2 There are enough of those on the Dining forums to make one's head spin.

Jodi, what items have been removed since the DDP?

DDP needs to be bashed and bashed and bashed until it's gone, and quality and variety return to Disney dining.

I just wrote a 2-page letter to Food and Beverage detailing my complaints, and I'm rallying folks on the Dining reviews board to do the same.

Conch fritters. GONE. Key lime pies. GONE! Wild game at Yachtsman Steakhouse. GONE!

and on and on.

ANd there are plenty of reports that the DDP was the direct cause of them killing takeout at Olivia's.

I know the menu at Olivia's changed. As Sammie said, menus do change. And as I said, a new manager reportedly iniated the menu changes at Olivia's. Why would the DDP have anything to do with Conch Fritters or Key Lime Pie? There are many far more exotic menu items at WDW still offered on menus...just not some of the old time favorites on Olivia's menu.:confused3

As to wild game, I thought that had been off the menu for several years at YSH and AP. The DDP is only 2 years old. I don't know but have wondered if it has to do with safety. I remember reading an article a few years ago about a disease found in wild game. It sounded similiar to Mad Cow disease. At any rate, when I read it I decided that I would be skipping any wild game in the future.

As for carryout at Olivia's, again that is one restaurant. Apparently one that is very dear to your heart but there are what....100 or so TS restaurants at WDW. And who knows what the story is at Olivia's. Perhaps the purpose was to encourage more diners to eat in the restaurant, DDP or not. When people do carryout from a TS restaurant, staff loses tips and the restaurant loses sales on alcohol, etc..

We used DDP in January and had planned to in June until I realized I was literally forcing myself to eat at places...

We will use DDE card instead and also eat off site a bit. much easier on me.

I guess I'm another unreasonable person who doesn't want to lose the DDp. I think it will be a big savings for my family and we eat at alot of 2 TS meals where the quality has not gone done at all. Counter service meals have all been so so at best but we eat them whether we are on DDp or not because of the convenience. There are plenty of other places to eat in the World if you want to avoid those places that take the plan. Try Shula's, Blue Zoo,
Fulton's, Palio to name a few that are excellent and not on the plan.

I think there are really two questions here --

ONE, have the Disney restaraunts changed (standardized) their menus and is DDP responsible for that? (tricky two part question...stay with me here);

and TWO, whatever you think about that -- and in answer to OP's legitimate question (which was not an invitation to hijack their thread, BTW) -- do you like DDP or not?

My answers are:
1. Yes, no, and go start your own thread to discuss the menus. Not that there aren't legitimate issues...but that's not what OP asked.
2. Yes...I like it and I'm glad we enjoy it as one benefit of DVC membership.

and on and on.

Are you just referring to these things being gone from Olivia's because we had Key Lime Pie many times at various places. As to the wild game, gone from Yachtsman, did not even know it was on the menu, so guess I would not miss that. What did the serve?

I am sorry but 3 items gone from hundreds across the entire property would not be enough to warrant any concern by me.

As to Olivia's, as was reported there is a new manager there, so there is no way to know for sure if it was DDP or manager's choice. Since they other TS restaurants did not do carry out, it was possibly just a policy change.

Good luck with your campaign, not sure it will make a difference, as the DDP is very popular with many and I for one will vote for it to stay. :thumbsup2

The only negative I believe I have noticed is it is harder to get reservations since DDP started. Prior to that it seemed, to me, I could easily get my dining reservations (exception being Cindies) in a 1 month window, sometimes less. Now it seems needs to make sure to book as early as possible to get the places and times desired...and sometimes even that can be a crapshoot.

1. I do agree that menus have changed, but I am not sure that I think DDP is the main contributing factor. As a person that has eaten at WDW since the 1970's, the menus have always changed. There was not the DDP to blame when they got rid of Mickey Butter, but I am sure it would get blamed now! Desserts and options I loved have disappeared from menus with and without the dining plan.

I think that one thing that has happened at the same time as the DDP is the increased awareness of food safety and nutrition information. Disney has been open about their attempts to ban trans fat and make their dining healthier. Also, several recent outbreaks of food-borne illness have confirmed that it is risky to prepare certain items on a large scale (such as food items, like traditional Key Lime Pie and many sauces, that require uncooked eggs).

The only restaurant I think really went down the drain is CRT - and I have a feeling that was just Disney's decision to milk their cash cow for every drop of profit more than it was a DDP issue (since the DDP now takes 2 CS credits for a very sub-standard meal - they are making gobs of profit even from plan holders)

2. When we were paying for 2 adults and 2 children on the plan, I loved :love: it. When we were paying for 3 adults (one of whom was 10) and we had the flexability to share some of his food, I still loved:love: it.

Now that Disney is saying no sharing of adult entrees among adults on the plan, I just like it. I think it's a weird place to be with the DDP the way it is set up, because a 10 year old is ready for an adult entree, but not necessarily ready for an adult 3-course meal. My gut-level feeling is that the DDP is actually going to cost more than just eating on our own with DDE would, but I don't think it's a very significant difference so it's likely we'll keep using the DDP just for the convenience of it.

From ending takeout to Olivia's to stripping all the interesting menu items, the DDP is a loss leader and a pyramid scheme that is dumbing down the experience.

There were dining plans before that DIDN'T have this effect, because they were priced more accurately.

The very first people to use the DDP got a good deal. It's getting less and less good because the quality of the food items is down, as well as the variety.

Well said! :thumbsup2

This thread's original topic is how the DDP may impact DVCers and DVC resorts. Since it has evolved (and I agree it is a fine line) to a more general discussion of DDP, it is no longer appropriate for the DVC boards and I am moving it to the DDP sub-board of the Disney Restaurants board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter