Fee based touring plans-worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkshel

DIS Veteran USMC Vetera
Has anyone used a pay service based website? I saw someone mention it on here but did a search and havent found anyone who has used the trip planning feature. Apparently it's a $15.00 subscripton for access to the sites, maps, boards, tips etc.. Included is trip planning guides for each park. We're going to US and IOA in June for a two day trip and like when I first went to Disneyworld, I wanted a plan to use so my time would be most efficient. I'd like to have a plan for tackling World of Harry Potter, but cant justify the expense blindly...we're staying onsite so I will have the express passes so I wonder if that will help enough with time management :confused:

I've never felt the need to have a touring plan for Universal.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter only has a few attractions and doesn't need a detailed plan of attack especially when you are staying onsite. Go to Ollivander's first, then Forbidden Journey, then Flight of the Hippogriff and then Dragon Challenge.

My advice to you is just to get as much info as you can from this board and then ask lots and lots of questions.

Thank you Damo. Between this and the other HP post I put up you saved me $15.00. ;)

Thank you Damo. Between this and the other HP post I put up you saved me $15.00. ;)

lol, I'm sure that won't make orlandoinformer.com very happy!!!

Just keep asking questions, we are all happy to help! Make sure you read through the stickies at the top of the universal forums. They are full of invaluable info.

Depends on how badly you'd miss the $15, and how much you like to know before you go. I treat trip planning like a hobby, and so this is just $15 towards my hobby. Do you "need" it? Nope. But, I feel like I've gotten value out of it just by being able to poke around in the evenings when I'm randomly browsing the web.

When we went to Universal I thought "If I can hop from AK to MK, why is it a big deal to hop from one Universal park to another?" Yikes, I missed SOOOOOO much. I think the crowds may not be as much to contend with at universal but I really feel like there are more rides there. WDW is more of a whole :goodvibes feeling, like the EXPERIENCE is just as important to me, but at Universal there is so much to do it can be pretty overwhelming in it's own way. If you would consider paying 15 for something like touringplans, then I would definitely use it for a orlandoinformer.

I like them and found them worth the cost.I used them and this board heavily for my trip this past Jan.

I just subbed to his site earlier in the week....I only paid $10. So far, I think it's been worth the $10...

I think the site is excellent! I imagine it would be even more helpful if this is your 1st time visiting the Universal Parks. I have been to the parks many times before but am constantly learning new information, tips and tricks from the site.

The owner is really helpful. He will go out of his way to help answer any questions you have. Even if that means going to the parks themselves, or making many calls just to get the answers/information you need.

I really think it is a wonderful site and helpful in many ways.

I recently subscribed and this is how I feel so far.

There is tons of information available on websites, travel guides, word of mouth, companies, travel agencies etc. If you are the kind of person who doesn't mind digging (and sometimes a lot) and looking at dozens of different places to compile all the information you need, then is orlandoinformer necessary? probably not. But, if you think about how much time it has taken for all your research is it nice to have everything all together and easy to get to, of course. So how much do you value your time vs whatever the subscription fee is.

The things I have enjoyed about it so far is the people on the message boards are great and super helpful. The information is all current and updated (so you don't have to worry about mistakenly reading a 5 year old post). Lastly, OrlandoInformer offers a double money back guarantee. Details can be found on the site prior to signing up.

Overall have I found the site to be instrumental in changing how I plan, book etc my trip? Not really. But I am very well informed, had done tons of research prior to subscribing and have been to Universal and Disney multiple times both on site, as a time share and off site. Would I subscribe again? Probably. It is nice to keep up to date with all the changes as they happen than ask a question on a forum and be told the answer by someone who experience 3, 6, 12 months ago in which time things can change. It also saves you from combing through other sites or if you want to refresh your memory on something it is much easier just to look at one site rather than try to retrace your steps in your research.

If you have never been to universal and are short on time I am sure it would be an absolute asset. If you think the price of the subscription is worth saving yourself research time than go for!

some time back i subscribed to a couple of online touring subscriptions just to see what it had to offer.
i didn't need their touring advice, just curious what was in them.

i didn't find anything different in them from some other sites.
seemed like they had about the same stuff in them.

i did notice there was a lot written on touring plans that i have posted on public boards.
same touring plans i have given out over the past years.

most of all the paid subscriptions have their own message boards.
some are broken down to better quality set ups with moderators.

and some aren't.

i know tour guide mike used to be a sponsor on the disboards.
he has been a topic of discussion in some dis forums.
newbies like him, repeat customers have lost their flavor for him.

when you receive replies to questions on the darkside forums, you will probably get answers from different angles.
but, you end up with the basics and direct answers from those that are sharing their personal experiences with others.

touring books, online paid subscriptions, public message boards, etc, take your pick of what suits you in preplanning.

I have also been wondering if subscribing to this site is worth the money... As much as I love the Dis and have found it extremely helpful, I'm having a hard time finding out information about BGT. That is, unless I'm missing something on here. We are only planning a one night visit during HHN (HOS), but I do have a lot of questions about the park in general... any other ideas if people aren't finding this site helpful?

:love:HHN:love:

I'm a subscriber to Orlando Informer and love it - but I will admit to being an obsessive trip planner because it is part of the joy of going on a trip.

Two things I love - one, I can submit as many questions as I want to Dan and he will answer them within a day. For example, I might ask about the current activity times at a certain hotel and he'll go and post a picture of what they are.

Second, I loved submitting my touring plan to him and getting it edited by him to include his advice and recommended changes

That being said, I also love Disboards

Finally, I will say as a former Tour Guide Mike user, Dan actually updates his website and makes changes on a daily basis. So I like it much better.

I am a subscriber and I love OrlandoInformer. I use it all the time to stay on top of not only Universal happenings, but Orlando in general. Before becoming an Orlando local, I used it all the time to find new restaurants, different tips & tricks at Universal, and to ask questions. Now as a local I use it to stay up to date and stay informed on entertainment happenings in my city.

I highly recommend the service, and you can expect answers to your questions from Dan (the owner & editor) in a very short amount of time so you have an expert working for you. If you haven't been to Universal before, or even if you have and you want to maximize your experience I HIGHLY recommend the service, you won't regret it.

I have been a subscriber to orlandoinformer since November. As an obsessive planner, it was exactly what I needed. Anytime I had an problem I heard directly from Dan right away. He personally answered my questions and kept me uptodate on all Orlando happenings. Granted I might have found those answers somewhere for free but not all at one site. Working in customer service myself, I really appreciate the fact that my questions or concerned aren't just thrown out there and 'someone' will get back to you. It is worth every penny and more!

Interesting that three of the "pro" posts are from new users and this is their only post...

Personally, I'm actually not a subscriber but I look at many of the free pages and follow on Facebook (his baby girl is a cutie!) A lot of interesting info and good pics but I haven't yet felt the need to pay for the additional subscriber "stuff". May or may not as my trip gets closer but I've learned a lot just being on the DIS boards.

Interesting that three of the "pro" posts are from new users and this is their only post...

My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes1

OP... ever hear the expression why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? :confused3 Everything you could ever need or want to know about Universal, the hotels, the shows, the rides, the events, ect, can all be found right here and around the web for free.

The members here are so knowledgeable and friendly I couldn't imagine why you would want to pay for the same service? When I was new and planning my trip I asked ALOT of questions. I also just read this board. By the time I left for Universal (back when I was in PA) I knew exactly where to go, what the best timeline for our trip would be, what to expect, where to get the best deals, what hotels suited us best, and where to eat. I think half the fun of the trip is in the planning and you can plan it right here for free. Read trip reports, ask questions, dig into the board and read old posts, it's all right here for you. :goodvibes

But that is just my opinion. Back to lurkdom. popcorn::

I've been a member of this site for 12 years, and I'll say that I subscribed to OI about three months ago and have been very happy with the information provided on the Universal resort. I'm spending thousands on our trip. $15 wasn't much to give me access to information about Universal which will help my trip be the best possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter