FAQ - 2010 DDP, DxDP and QSDP Everything you always wanted to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year free dining was offered later than usual......it wasn't until around May 1st for free dining beginning near the end of August. I remember because by that time I was tearing my hair out!:scared1: The year before that, it was the last of March.

That being said, I think they offer it earlier for the UK for some reason.

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but on the deluxe dining plan are you still limited to category 2 seating for dinner shows?

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but on the deluxe dining plan are you still limited to category 2 seating for dinner shows?

No difference between DDP and DxDP for dinner shows. HDDR, at least, you can get category 1 seating if you go to the late (9:30) show.

We're debating whether to try the Quick Service Dining Plan this time. A few questions for you all knowing Dining Plan Peeps!

1. We're arriving late on our first night at the resort - can we use the credits we don't use on that day for another day (i.e. we'll probably be eating dinner, so can we use the breakfast or lunch credit and snack credits on a later date during our trip?)

2. Can you mix up how you use the main meal credits (i.e. use them for breakfast and lunch one day, then use them for lunch and dinner another, then maybe breakfast and dinner on another?)

3. Finally, how confusing is it for a first time dining planner?

Thanks bunches!!!

You can use the meals on the plan any way you want. If you're a family of 4 staying 7 nights, you'll have 56 counter service meals and 56 snacks to use anytime during your trip. You don't have to use them for specific meals or days.

About the only restriction is that you can only order as many meals as are listed on your card. For instance, if you're a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, you can only order a maximum of 2 adult meals at one time.

Do you think you'll get enough value out of the QSDP? It's $35/night for adults and $12/night for kids. For a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, that's nearly $100 per day, and that's just for counter service (fast food) and snacks.

The kids are a decent deal - most meals are $5 (and some are more) and snacks are typically $2-$4, so you should get at least $14 in value (and perhaps more like $20 if you're creative) for each $12 spent.

The adults are harder to justify. If you figure the snacks at $2.50 each, you need to get $15 in value out of each meal. Although you can find a few meals over $10, most are under $10. You do get a dessert and drink, but is that worth $5 to you?

And that's just lunch and dinner. Breakfast is really hard to get more than $10 value, especially now that they removed the second drink.

Personally, I don't mind skipping desserts, drinking water, packing a few lunches, having breakfast before heading to the park, and packing most snacks to save 50% or more.

Following up with what MichaelColey said
We are a family of 2 adults and 1 child. Our meals typically totalled about $35 at a time. For snacks usually at most they are $4 but can be much less. So at most that was $12 a round for us. Then you get the mugs which were $13 each(i think). Since you're getting drinks with each meal anyways they may not be worth it but are a great soviegner too. Hope this will help you do the math too.

Thanks for the info. My one issue is I have a 5 year old and a 13 year old. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that she is an "adult" by Disney standards, so I don't know if it's worth it. If they were both under 9 the children's deal would be awesome, but again, paying $35.99 for each adult per day, I'm not sure. Gonna have to crunch some numbers.

Yeah, you're talking over $800 for the week for the four of you. Does your DD13 prefer kid's meals or adult meals?

When I'm on the dining plan, my focus is generally on getting the most value out of my credits -- Wolfgang Puck Express, Pepper Market, Cosmic Ray's, etc. When I'm paying out of pocket, my focus is on getting the most value for the least money. Kids counter service meals most places are $5 and include a drink and two sides (usually carrot sticks and grapes, by default). Adult counter service meals are about $8-$10 most places, plus about $2.50 if you want a soda (and another $2-$4 if you want a dessert). You can eat for about $5 per kid and $10 per adult pretty easily if you are paying out of pocket and skip the dessert (and/or soda).

You can stretch your money even further by having breakfast in the room, packing some lunches, eating some meals off-site, packing snacks, bringing drinks, etc. It all just depends on your budget, whether you'll have a vehicle, how much time you want to put into it, etc.

On our most recent (one week) trip (for 2 adults and 2 kids), we stayed in a timeshare. We spent about $120 on groceries. We ate breakfast in the unit every day before heading to the parks. We went to Shula's for one dinner ($140). We went to Giordano's for one dinner (about $20 with a Restaurant.com certificate). We went to McDonald's for one meal (about $10) and Chick-Fil-A for one meal (about $15). We cooked dinner a few times in the unit (including entertaining 5 friends one evening). We packed lunches several days. We brought drinks and snacks. We ate about $60 worth of counter service meals at the parks. We went to Beaches & Cream three times and spent about $40 total there. Total cost for food for the week: About $400. And keep in mind that over a third of that was one very nice table service meal.

If I have the Deluxe Dining Plan, can I exchange Table Service tickets for snacks? Just looking at all the snack possibilities at Epcot makes my mouth water.

Thanks!

If I have the Deluxe Dining Plan, can I exchange Table Service tickets for snacks? Just looking at all the snack possibilities at Epcot makes my mouth water.

Thanks!

If you have the DxDDP your credits are not split into TS or CS credits - they are meal credits. You would have more success attempting to change a CS than a TS to snacks, so this would be to your advantage, but I have to warn you, they have become increasingly difficult about doing this. In fact the parks are the worst place to try and exchange them. You may have better success at the resorts. I am curious though, you have two snacks per day for each person on your reservation. Do you think you will want extra snacks? The general tendency is for snacks to be left over at the end of the trip, unless you have planned to use yours during your trip for specific items.

I just think that at a place like Epcot, where there are so many edible options, that my family and I would be more interested in breaking up our food into smaller, multiple snacks from all over the World, than choosing a single, larger meal.

Thank you for the information!

It's really a bad value to trade deluxe dining credits for snacks - not only that, but I do not think it would be permitted in the parks. It's usually done at resort food court/CS.

I would try doing it only if you have meal credits left over that you will not be able to use (and I don't think you would be able to just trade in the credit at Epcot, although you probably would at your resort) - if I were paying what the deluxe plan costs, I would not be going in planning to trade any of my meal credits for snacks.

Just a thought here-If you want to be able to eat at several places in Epcot, but want to get the most out of your DxDDP, you may want to consider buying one or two meals from several places and sharing them as you make your way around the world. Many of the meals are very large and easy to share. That way, you can taste many things without using your meal credits for snacks, which would be very difficult to do.

While you still don't get as much bang for your buck using meal credits at CS rather than TS, as long as you use the majority of your meal credits on TS meals, you should still get your money's worth.

Extra tip: If you are going to share meals at CS restaurants that do not have kids meals (i.e. in the UK), use a kid's credit. You'll get the same food, but you'll use a less expensive credit, saving your adult credit for a meal you cannot buy with a kid's credit. I really hope that made sense!

Just a thought here-If you want to be able to eat at several places in Epcot, but want to get the most out of your DxDDP, you may want to consider buying one or two meals from several places and sharing them as you make your way around the world. Many of the meals are very large and easy to share. That way, you can taste many things without using your meal credits for snacks, which would be very difficult to do.

While you still don't get as much bang for your buck using meal credits at CS rather than TS, as long as you use the majority of your meal credits on TS meals, you should still get your money's worth.

Extra tip: If you are going to share meals at CS restaurants that do not have kids meals (i.e. in the UK), use a kid's credit. You'll get the same food, but you'll use a less expensive credit, saving your adult credit for a meal you cannot buy with a kid's credit. I really hope that made sense!

Deluxe credits are pooled like QS credits.

Thank you everyone for your answers! You're right about the value, and I'm sure we can find great restaurants to eat our meals. Since I'm taking my parents for their 40th wedding anniversary, there won't be any children, but if we absolutely need more snacks, I'm sure we can pony up the money to get them. My parents aren't quite "foodies," but they're really looking forward to sampling some yummies we've never had before.

That's assuming we can eat another bite. Some of Epcot's restaurants sound amazing. :)

I'm curious: is there an official price list for the 2011 DDP? In the first post it mentions that the regular dining plan is $45.99/night for adults ($47.99 during peak season). However, I called WDW booking to book a trip, and was told that the DDP was actually $52.99/night. Are the prices listed in this thread speculation, or should I call WDW booking back and ask about the price again?

Last week I was told twice on two different days by two different reservation people that the DDP price is now $52.99/$16.99 and DxDP is $82.99/$25.99.

Last week I was told twice on two different days by two different reservation people that the DDP price is now $52.99/$16.99 and DxDP is $82.99/$25.99.

There's also a report by one poster that they were quoted a "seasonal increase" for the QUICK SERVICE dining plan in March. I do not know what Disney is up to. I know the DVC Members website is listing the same individual prices that were released in August for the 2011 dining plans. DVC members do not purchase package reservations but pay for the dining plan individually.

This is slightly off track the current discussion, but I believe as of March 1st, the Le Cellier in EPCOT will be one of their signature restaurants and it will require 2 credits

There's also a report by one poster that they were quoted a "seasonal increase" for the QUICK SERVICE dining plan in March. I do not know what Disney is up to. I know the DVC Members website is listing the same individual prices that were released in August for the 2011 dining plans. DVC members do not purchase package reservations but pay for the dining plan individually.

Not a rumor! I booked my QSDP package online for March so did not see the price breakdown but when I just called to add another adult to my package I had read the $39.99 a day rumor and I asked him what I was paying per adult per night. He said they could not give me the exact price but they like to call it "less than $40 a day" so I said $39.99, is this seasonal increase and he said no this was the 2011 prices.

Less than $40 ($39.99) per day per adult
$16.99 per day child

I already paid for my package - but now I want to take the QSDP off!!!

I have used the dining plans before - I know every restaurant and what is the most expensive meals - but I was having a hard time getting $35 a day in food value!! Now $40 - Is that even possible on QSDP??

For some restaurants I say maybe?? But really, if you factor in the price of the plain chocolate or carrot cake that we really don't want to eat anyway?

Resort mugs - we are staying at PORR and will have sodas and water in the room...the 5 mile walk to get a drink refil has never been worth it.

I am not cheap - but also don't want to pay for more food than we are going to eat?

So - my question is - has anyone done the $40 QSDP this year - and did you feel it was worth it? Part of the reason we were doing QSDP was not to be tied down to ADRs and spend less time in restaurants - but now I feel tied down to trying to eat a Chicken and Rib combo every meal - or WPE just to get $40 in food?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter