Excuse Me, “Legacy Fans”? We Might Just Be Disney’s Only Way Forward.

I can really relate to this post. The park experience continues to be more of a turn-off, both in terms of pricing and quality, and was noticeable even before Covid hit. We are DVC and bought in at a good price 13 years ago and enjoy the resorts, including the non-Orlando locations where we have plenty of non-Disney options, and are incorporating the parks less and less in our plans. Our kids are in their 20's and we don't have grandkids yet so maybe the focus will shift back to the parks at some point, but for now it's working just fine and still feels like we are getting good value for our spend.
I can see that. We're not DVC owners, but the last two trips we've rented points. We've cruised out of PC many times where we did a resort only stay for a few nights. The resorts are great and If I was a DVC owner I would have no issue staying a week and never visiting the parks. That being said I have an 18 year-old that loves the parks.. so we're not done yet.

I'm a DVC owner with four trips on the book for this year, one of which has already been completed. So far no admission has been purchased and none is planned. This may change depending on what events may happen but so far I'm happy with this decision. Like others I'm finding other experiences to fill my time and have thoroughly been enjoying myself.

We are long time DVC owners who USED TO purchase AP’s for the whole family. Our next trip is in December for 10 days with the kids and grandkids, and we are only going in the park 1 day, because my kids can’t justify the value. If our kids and grandkids had to pay their own way, you can bet they would NEVER set foot on Disney property again. If Disney is banking on this generation to keep them afloat, they’re delusional. Heck, I’m pretty sure that when my husband and I die, our kids don’t even want to take on the maintenance fees of DVC. The next trip back with the family will include trips to Universal for the new Nintendo park. If Universal started a program similar to DVC, we’d be signing up immediately. I know we can’t be the only family in this situation.

With Josh’s attitude, he sounds like he’s ready to pick up where Chapek will leave off. I had higher hopes for him..

I'm not really sure what the article was arguing, because it was so disorganized. It just seemed like a lot of reminiscing for $1 gas to me.

And the thing is, us "legacy fans" ARE powerful. I plan Disney trips for everyone I know, and everyone they know. Two families I sent to just Universal for 2022. I've never even been to Universal and I knew it would have a superior product. Disney behaves as if it isn't competing with other vacations, but also with the guys up the street.

Agree. The problem with the whole "legacy fans" thing as I see it, is that they complain nonstop about the changes, while planning their next WDW trips, cruises etc. You see it on this board constantly. It's money that talks, not your mouth.

Agree. The problem with the whole "legacy fans" thing as I see it, is that they complain nonstop about the changes, while planning their next WDW trips, cruises etc. You see it on this board constantly. It's money that talks, not your mouth.
Why is that a problem?

Are we expected to obediently follow every change without complaint? Some of those complaints, such as a few DVC points chart discrepancies, have actually resulted in real change.

Within reason, obviously, complaining is sometimes necessary.

Why is that a problem?

Are we expected to obediently follow every change without complaint? Some of those complaints, such as a few DVC points chart discrepancies, have actually resulted in real change.

Within reason, obviously, complaining is sometimes necessary.

Pretty sure that they mean the problem is we complain but still keep going. When we collectively stop spending, that’s when they take notice.

Pretty sure that they mean the problem is we complain but still keep going. When we collectively stop spending, that’s when they take notice.
I guess that therein lies the problem - they are encouraging people to be repeat customers by constantly building and selling more DVC opportunities, while at the same time stopping AP sales and insulting "legacy fans". Not sure what they really want...

Either way, I reserve my right to complain.

The park experience continues to be more of a turn-off, both in terms of pricing and quality, and was noticeable even before Covid hit.
I'm also DVC for 15 years. Love my resorts. Although I noticed higher crowds and prices pre pandemic, I didn't think the experience was devalued all that much. I was getting a little miffed with all the IP and less originality.
Pre pandemic I had a dining plan which meant a good part of my vacation was paid in advance, fast passes booked so I knew I could do some things without the huge lines, I could go to any park I wanted, whichever day I wanted, and if I wasn't enjoying it at 10 a.m. I could park hop at will. As a DVC member I didn't need to experience every attraction on this visit. I was happy with this. I felt I had free will to enjoy my Disney vacation the way I wanted to. Post pandemic - park reservations, park hop after 2 pm but only if you tap into your original park reservation first, no dining plan but mobile order which charges straight to my c.c. (big bill when I get home), and seriously Disney Wifi(?) spotty at best. My last trip seemed more like training camp than vacation. Maybe I'm just gettinig too old to change. I'm hoping to see it differently when I make a trip with my more digitally indoctrinated adult kids in 2024. After that, who knows?

I guess that therein lies the problem - they are encouraging people to be repeat customers by constantly building and selling more DVC opportunities, while at the same time stopping AP sales and insulting "legacy fans". Not sure what they really want...

Either way, I reserve my right to complain.
I’m always down for a good rant, complain away lol.

I just don’t disagree we frequent but critical guests are a part of the issue. If we all collectively keep coming, there’s no incentive to do things differently. At the same time, I would never suggest someone not go if they still overall enjoy it just to prove a point.

I’m not sure I agree they’re intentionally insulting legacy fans though. I think in decades past the general public wasn’t privy to this kind of talk about guests and consumers the way we are today. This kind of speak is not meant for “us”.

Just an idea, I have nothing to back it up with, but maybe the plan is to maximize guest spending in order to get the most money they can before they sell the park division?

What you see on this board are those who are at least still engaged with Disney. What you don't see on this board are those who have checked out completely.

For my part, we still go, but we go less often and spend less when we go. Does that allow me to speak?

There is some truth to what you say, however ignoring what customers say because they are still customers is a sure recipe for failure.

Disney is banking on replacing those customers with more desirable customers. Clearly it is working in the near term. We'll have to see how it goes long term. Not too many success stories about companies publicly declaring they were aiming to shed their most loyal customers.

So you know two people that want to visit WDW so therefore there must be thousands? There may be, but if Europe doesn’t change course many Europeans will have to choose between heat and food. Energy costs are up 80% in the UK. The way things are headed I don’t see Europeans flocking to the US. Their currencies are also collapsing making travel here a lot more expensive in the past.
What? I just explained my experience that's all. No need for sarcasm, please!
And no arguments from me over a silly issue. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
What you see on this board are those who are at least still engaged with Disney. What you don't see on this board are those who have checked out completely.

For my part, we still go, but we go less often and spend less when we go. Does that allow me to speak?

There is some truth to what you say, however ignoring what customers say because they are still customers is a sure recipe for failure.

Disney is banking on replacing those customers with more desirable customers. Clearly it is working in the near term. We'll have to see how it goes long term. Not too many success stories about companies publicly declaring they were aiming to shed their most loyal customers.

What we don't see... is where those that have checked out or those that goes less often, have hurt Disney's bottom line. Currently COVID Travel has obscured what the new norm is and how it will affect WDW. I think Disney realized, even before COVID that attendance levels were really beyond the parks capacities to provide an enjoyable experience. That there needed to be more balancing out of guest visits along with weeding out some less profitable guest.

A lot of experimentation going on with Park Reservations, Genie+ and LL, AP Program and different discount programs...

What? I just explained my experience that's all. No need for sarcasm, please!
I wasn’t being sarcastic just informing you of the situation in Europe and how it relates to future WDW attendance. You didn’t seem to be aware of what’s happening.

My grown daughters and I took a 5 day (4 night) WDW vacation at the end of April. We stayed at Caribbean Beach (bought 4 day non parkhop tickets) and we had a really fun time together. Yes, it was expensive and I hated adding Genie and ILL. Nothing worse than waking up before 7 and spending $90 immediately. I had booked that vacation about 20 months out on the first day I could for $2328. I just popped on WDW sight and priced out the exact same room and tickets and it came in at $3206.00 for about a 39% increase. Shareholder value at work.

I wasn’t being sarcastic just informing you of the situation in Europe and how it relates to future WDW attendance. You didn’t seem to be aware of what’s happening.
I am aware of what's happening. No reason to argue over such a silly issue anyway. Have a nice day.

My grown daughters and I took a 5 day (4 night) WDW vacation at the end of April. We stayed at Caribbean Beach (bought 4 day non parkhop tickets) and we had a really fun time together. Yes, it was expensive and I hated adding Genie and ILL. Nothing worse than waking up before 7 and spending $90 immediately. I had booked that vacation about 20 months out on the first day I could for $2328. I just popped on WDW sight and priced out the exact same room and tickets and it came in at $3206.00 for about a 39% increase. Shareholder value at work.
Your post is a great answer for the complaints. While most hate all the changes and price increases, while some will choose to stop going, those that enjoy it seem to have the mindset of just happy to be here.

For my family the parks aren't worth the amount of work it takes to visit. Starting with the reservation system all the way to booking return times to ride things. It's not that it's hard, it's more work then I care for to have an amusement park vacation. We went to Cedar Point this summer for a week two seperate times. Much cheaper, no reservation required as we had season passes and their skip the line system was much simpler. Just show up to the attraction.

Your post is a great answer for the complaints. While most hate all the changes and price increases, while some will choose to stop going, those that enjoy it seem to have the mindset of just happy to be here.

For my family the parks aren't worth the amount of work it takes to visit. Starting with the reservation system all the way to booking return times to ride things. It's not that it's hard, it's more work then I care for to have an amusement park vacation. We went to Cedar Point this summer for a week two seperate times. Much cheaper, no reservation required as we had season passes and their skip the line system was much simpler. Just show up to the attraction.

To an extent, these types of amusement parks have always been cheaper and less work than Disney though. They’re quite different, and not really substitutes for each other.

To an extent, these types of amusement parks have always been cheaper and less work than Disney though. They’re quite different, and not really substitutes for each other.
I agree on the regional parks not being that great of a comparison. But there are plenty of other places which are substitutes for Disney, and you would be hard pressed to find a destination that has increased in both price and "work" as much as Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter