Excuse Me, “Legacy Fans”? We Might Just Be Disney’s Only Way Forward.

Yes sounds small, but it isn't that for a family, it's that times 4 or 5 for every day of your vacation.

I don't know how I feel about that statement. If it is true and bears out, how will the world develop in the future? Service oriented businesses are a major part of society. I have been told by younger colleagues that they were more comfortable with texting than face to face conversation. So you might be right about that.

The younger generation values experiences more than Gen X or Baby Boomers? You paint a lot of people with that brush. As a baby boomer, I can't speak for Gen X, but I and most of my peers valued experiences greatly. I mean, we all knew someone who had to have a new car in the driveway every year, but today people seem to value having the new Iphone, or some other most up to to date stuff (name your poison).

Now I'm going to sound like I was born in the stone age. On our early Disney vacations we drove 24 hours to get there, stayed off site, ate breakfast in the room, and ate only counter service meals. The kids had a budget to buy a souvenir. It's what we could afford but we loved the Disney experience and enjoying those vacations with our kids. With two working parents, the time spent with the kids was precious. Later, as we became more established, we began to spend more money on site, including buying DVC, table service meals, tours etc. As a repeat traveller, I now spend much more money on WDW vacations than I ever did. This is just my experience, but I don't think I'm alone.
You are not alone! As kids we stayed at Day's Inn and enjoyed the pool. Our very first couples trips were at DS area and then a value. When we toured OKW in 1996 that was the answer and we were home! We are now AP owners and our son and DIL are on our direct contract and also AP. We spend 4-5 weeks a year and spend way more than we should... Our kids can afford to continue the legacy and will.

1 thing that I wish they did more of is attractions like Tower of Terror. They lack in well themed thrilling rides.

Actually, years ago Disney said they wanted to differentiate themselves from other amusement parks around the country so that is why there aren't that many 'thrill' rides. They wanted to be know as a 'theme park' (vs. amusement park) and called them 'attractions' (vs. rides). Some of that was just marketing trying to differentiate Disney from other amusement parks and make them more appealing. Perhaps that rationale made more sense when it was only MK and people were less likely to travel across country for only 1 park. Now with 4 parks, not so sure that approach make sense. Thrill rides and various types of roller coasters are a big draw at many of the major amusement parks around the country. The ability of Disney to handle the current volume of people seems to be a huge challenge for them.

To most of us they are just rides! And Universal has some great new well-themed rides.

For some reason? COVID decimated the number of workforce persons. It sadly lowered our lifespan average. There’s that “some reason”.
There was an interesting article in the paper today about a Venezuelan migrant bused from Texas to Washington DC who has found plenty of work here. There are so many people looking to come to the US to work. Improving that system would help.

While I appreciate your thoughts, increased attractions and even a new gate come with more people wanting to visit. Your suggestion is a solution but will also increase traffic.

I truly believe the staffing challenge is the same at Disney as it is locally and many other places. For some reason there are just not enough people to fill the demand for current jobs. Where I work job postings are constantly being lengthened as they're just not receiving qualified applicants. Even high paying jobs are scrambling to find qualified staff and almost every dining establishment or store here has a help wanted sign in the window.
Orlando was hit especially hard. So many cast members were left without work for months, so they found remote work or moved out of the area. And rents are very high in Orlando, making it difficult to move in.

Maybe "thrilling" or "exciting" rides is a better term, since "thrill rides" carries its own connotations like has been mentioned.

I don't believe guests are looking for WDW to implement the giga coasters and other crazy rides like those at Cedar Point, King's Island, etc... I'm not suggesting you were saying that either.

However, it's hard to argue that the more thrilling rides are WDW also tend to be the most popular. What Disney does so well is balance that with kid and family oriented attractions, shows, ambience, music, etc... Their "thrilling" rides are just thrilling enough that most can still enjoy them without getting sick or overly scared.

Dan

Maybe "thrilling" or "exciting" rides is a better term, since "thrill rides" carries its own connotations like has been mentioned.

I don't believe guests are looking for WDW to implement the giga coasters and other crazy rides like those at Cedar Point, King's Island, etc... I'm not suggesting you were saying that either.

However, it's hard to argue that the more thrilling rides are WDW also tend to be the most popular. What Disney does so well is balance that with kid and family oriented attractions, shows, ambience, music, etc... Their "thrilling" rides are just thrilling enough that most can still enjoy them without getting sick or overly scared.

Dan
Guests/Disney need a good balance between E-tickets like Mickey and Minnie's, where the whole family can ride something you don't get anywhere else, and smaller rides like Aladdin's Flying Carpets, where you can go when you don't feel like waiting 60 minutes for anything. Recently I'd even argue that they are too focused on the E-tickets, and it's especially clear at Hollywood Studios. When one or two of the big rides go down there is nowhere else for people to spend time at. I feel like Disney might be neglecting the smaller rides because they don't generate news headlines the way bigger ones do.

We are among that legacy group I guess. Went every year, sometimes 2 times a year since 2001 and my kids grew up going there, and I loved every minutes of it. Covid really impacted our travel as it did with many. My daughter got married in June and she wanted to go to Disney on her honeymoon so I helped plan everything with her. She had a great trip but commented a lot about how things have changed since the rest of the family hasn't been back since 2019.

I'm not against change, but I go to Disney for I guess more of a nostalgia rush, not for the rides exactly, but for the feeling. I enjoy being there, and I don't have to do every ride or do everything because being there is enough and I know we'll be back. That's what 20 years of going there did to me.

I really do want to go, and will but the cost certainly has jumped tremendously since our last trip in November of 2019. We always stay on property and at Deluxe resorts, and the lack of some of the benefits of being on site does hurt. Magical Express going away is a big downgrade for sure as are other changes that feel from the outside as being a nickel and dime exercise on top of something that's already very expensive.

Seems like Disney realizes that continuing to raise the prices isn't driving people away, the parks are still full, the extra cost hard ticket events are still being sold out. But at some point the once in a lifetime travelers have all done it, what's left? Not the nostalgia people like myself, since they were only able to go one time.

I guess the next C suite at Disney will figure that out when that time comes.

Guests/Disney need a good balance between E-tickets like Mickey and Minnie's, where the whole family can ride something you don't get anywhere else, and smaller rides like Aladdin's Flying Carpets, where you can go when you don't feel like waiting 60 minutes for anything. Recently I'd even argue that they are too focused on the E-tickets, and it's especially clear at Hollywood Studios. When one or two of the big rides go down there is nowhere else for people to spend time at. I feel like Disney might be neglecting the smaller rides because they don't generate news headlines the way bigger ones do.
I agree completely. It’s the reason why magic Kingdom works so much better than the other parks. There are just so many attractions. Sure, many of them are headliners but there are also plenty of very good filler rides that help suck up people and help with overall guest movement and enjoyment. We could use a handful, at least, of good tier 2 attractions at Hollywood studios, Epcot, and especially Animal Kingdom in my opinion

We were an every year family until covid - deluxe resorts, dining plan, the works. It was a splurge but felt worth it.

Went last year. Other than a stellar experience at the Dolphin (thanks to Marriott), the price has outpaced the experience to such an extent I’m not sure we’d consider it again. Maybe a day or two for just my husband and I to get the last bit of nostalgia-led joy out of my system.

Or we could go on a Viking River cruise or orient express train trip for virtually the same money, which is what we’ll end up doing

Personally, I don't need any new attractions to be based on a film, I just need it to be well themed, fun, and have a solid "repeat factor".

Dan

GotG is our Favorite at WDW now.

If it takes an IP to get Disney to create an attraction like that, I will not complain.

It's a tough one to "Repeat" though.

My kids are 10/12 and have been to world 3 times and land 1. They like the trips but just don’t have that wow excitement like my wife and I do and I wish they did. We did universal for summer and spring breaks and they were just excited. It bums me out seeing as our 2023 Disney trip in budgeting at $11k and we’re not doing anything super high end. That’s a lot. Like Hawaii level. I don’t think I can justify that as much tbh.

My girls don’t have the nostalgia. They aren’t as connected to the IPs. My high school years was lion king and Aladdin with my gf and wonderful world of Disney with Michael Eisner before that. My girls just aren’t that attached. If it wasn’t us paying, I don’t know if they’d choose it over Hawaii or even Yellowstone.

Actually, years ago Disney said they wanted to differentiate themselves from other amusement parks around the country so that is why there aren't that many 'thrill' rides. They wanted to be know as a 'theme park' (vs. amusement park) and called them 'attractions' (vs. rides). Some of that was just marketing trying to differentiate Disney from other amusement parks and make them more appealing. Perhaps that rationale made more sense when it was only MK and people were less likely to travel across country for only 1 park. Now with 4 parks, not so sure that approach make sense. Thrill rides and various types of roller coasters are a big draw at many of the major amusement parks around the country. The ability of Disney to handle the current volume of people seems to be a huge challenge for them.
I don't think I agree that keeping the rides from being thrilling was part of the equation. Yes, from the beginning Disneyland was designed as an experience several cuts above your typical amusement park. They used theming and imagineering to create great attractions, not just rides. But partly that was because the technology didn't exist or wasn't yet conceived of to allow theming and thrills to co-exist. Since they've figured that out, more new attractions than not have an element of thrills/speed/etc. combined with the theming.

We were an every year family until covid - deluxe resorts, dining plan, the works. It was a splurge but felt worth it.

Went last year. Other than a stellar experience at the Dolphin (thanks to Marriott), the price has outpaced the experience to such an extent I’m not sure we’d consider it again. Maybe a day or two for just my husband and I to get the last bit of nostalgia-led joy out of my system.

Or we could go on a Viking River cruise or orient express train trip for virtually the same money, which is what we’ll end up doing
This is what my DH and I are doing next week. Four nights at WDW as one last trip to say goodbye to our favorites. We bought APs in January 2020 that we still haven't used (and won't be using on this trip either), so we will be back eventually, maybe when we have grandkids. But in the meantime, we will find other places to visit.

YES!! THIS!! ^^^^^^

So many people here are saying that new rides will draw more visitors but that isn't neccisarily true. Smaller rides that aren't very different won't draw more of a crowd. They will just help to disperse crowds that are now too large for the amount of rides available. One other thing that I want to point out is that with Disney getting rid of some of the parades as well as other roaming or stationary shows or performers they have less "attractions" for people to take advantage of. This is what they need more of as well as some of the smaller rides that are maybe huge people eaters but don't actually have a huge theme. What about adding a raised train at Animal Kingdom for people to see more of the property from a different angle? These are smaller rides that won't cause people to book a trip but they will make a trip to Disney more enjoyable by spreading out the crowd and having more things to do.

If you want to go to a Disney resort that has good value, I would recommend checking out Tokyo Disneyland as well (when the restrictions for tourism loosen up anyway). Those parks are excellent and significantly better than WDW.
He’s! That’s definitely on the list too but because it’s so far awayI want to combine it with a cruise around Japan. Just need to find the time for such a long vacation.

There was an interesting article in the paper today about a Venezuelan migrant bused from Texas to Washington DC who has found plenty of work here. There are so many people looking to come to the US to work. Improving that system would help.
"Plenty of work here" but does any of it give a living wage, allow them to afford housing, food, clothing, a vehicle, insurance, etc? It sounds like you are basically saying let people in who will be willing to work themselves to the bone for a non-living wage?

"Plenty of work here" but does any of it give a living wage, allow them to afford housing, food, clothing, a vehicle, insurance, etc? It sounds like you are basically saying let people in who will be willing to work themselves to the bone for a non-living wage?
This is a huge problem for Disney World and Disneyland specifically. Rents in Orlando and Anaheim are very high compared to what the parks pay, and all the people who used to move to the area specifically to work at the parks can't afford to do so anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter