Everything you need to know about MagicBands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I know the magic bands 2.0 are still pretty new, but has anyone tried putting their magic band "puck" or icon in accessories meant for the similar puck design fitness trackers? One such as the misfit flash or I believe garmin has a puck style one. How well did that work or not work?
Thanks!

Hi all! I know the magic bands 2.0 are still pretty new, but has anyone tried putting their magic band "puck" or icon in accessories meant for the similar puck design fitness trackers? One such as the misfit flash or I believe garmin has a puck style one. How well did that work or not work?

As far as I know, I'm the only one running around without a band. I use a card in the parks and keep the icon in my bag without the bands very nice, really tiny, you want a closing change pocket in your bag to make sure it stays in.

As you said they are too new, I wasn't going to take apart a limited edition band to experiment but interesting idea, I didn't think to look if any of them fit the icon.

I was wondering also if the old sliders fit the new bands. My son has a Stitch slider that he will want to wear.

I was wondering also if the old sliders fit the new bands. My son has a Stitch slider that he will want to wear.

the band is the same width and will be just fine. it's the mickey head you wouldn't put a slider across (and can't) that is different.

Checking in January 23. Magic band 2.0 arrived today.
Thank you for all of the information in this post, Accident!!!

Thanks for the great post! I read the first couple posts of FAQs and did not see an answer to my question and am not inclined to look through the other 32 pages to see if someone already asked. :crazy2:

I have some MBs from my last trip in May 2015. Will be going again in March. If I understand right, my old MBs will work indefinitely to get us in the parks and use FPs, but may not work for "long range" ride photos since the MBs are almost 2 years old and the batteries could be out.

I am planning to get MemoryMaker like last time. Is there any way I can check if the batteries still work for ride photos before getting on a ride? If I can't, is there any way to tell if the MBs took the ride photo after getting off the ride other than checking my MDE?

:wizard:

Thanks for the great post! I read the first couple posts of FAQs and did not see an answer to my question and am not inclined to look through the other 32 pages to see if someone already asked. :crazy2:

I have some MBs from my last trip in May 2015. Will be going again in March. If I understand right, my old MBs will work indefinitely to get us in the parks and use FPs, but may not work for "long range" ride photos since the MBs are almost 2 years old and the batteries could be out.

I am planning to get MemoryMaker like last time. Is there any way I can check if the batteries still work for ride photos before getting on a ride? If I can't, is there any way to tell if the MBs took the ride photo after getting off the ride other than checking my MDE?

the only way to find out is to ride and check mde (website or app).

I'm reporting back. Just heard from Guest Services re my concerns about the new Magic Bands (in red, below), which are much larger than the old ones, and someone like me (an adult with a small wrist, so I'm thinking this will apply to children as well) is not too amused by their size. At Bryan's suggestion, I wrote to Guest Services about this. Their reply is, I believe, simply boilerplate. They have no intention of offering the old-style bands once they're sold out, and the new-style bands are all they're going to be making for the time being. I have no idea what I'm going to do with mine once I'm forced to switch over--I believe my current old-style band will still work for a while. Because I use the band for everything--including paying for stuff, and now WDW has made it more difficult for me to do so, since I won't be wearing it and don't want it hanging from a chain around my neck, wrist, or particularly my bag, where it could get lost.

Thank you for your message regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.

From time to time, we make adjustments to our offerings. Although we understand your disappointment with the MagicBand 2, we are committed to providing our Guests with new experiences and merchandise. Over the coming months the Walt Disney World Resort will transition from the original MagicBand to MagicBand 2. Some merchandise locations will continue to offer the original MagicBand for a short period of time, but eventually they will no longer be available to purchase. Please know when we receive comments from Guests, such as yours, they are shared with various areas of our organization. You may also be assured that your observations have been shared and taken seriously.

Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our products and services, is very important to us. We genuinely appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us and look forwarding to entertaining you in the near future.

[QUOTE="Miffy, post: 56995912, member: 44252"I have no idea what I'm going to do with mine once I'm forced to switch over--I believe my current old-style band will still work for a while. [/QUOTE]

Your current one will work indefinitely for everything except ride photos/videos.

[QUOTE="Miffy, post: 56995912, member: 44252"I have no idea what I'm going to do with mine once I'm forced to switch over--I believe my current old-style band will still work for a while.

Your current one will work indefinitely for everything except ride photos/videos.[/QUOTE]
I'm thinking of wearing my original ones (mostly because I really like them and don't go often) from my last trip and zipping the icon from the new one into a secure pocket inside my bag so that I can use the old ones for everything, but the icon will pick up the ride photos on the chance the long range battery has failed in my other. So perhaps this would be an option for anyone else who has an original band stule they wish to keep using.

I do agree that the child size/small wrist wasn't well thought out with this generation.

the only way to find out is to ride and check mde (website or app).

oh no....I just expected my old one would continue to work. I didn't know there was a possibility of batteries not working...:sad1: we have several colors and like to rotate them. It would be nice if there were a service for battery replacement?
:worried:

oh no....I just expected my old one would continue to work. I didn't know there was a possibility of batteries not working...:sad1: we have several colors and like to rotate them. It would be nice if there were a service for battery replacement?
:worried:

I hear you, I actually brought this up with the MB folks at destination d and they view the icon as being replaceable as the solution to changing the battery.

I hear you, I actually brought this up with the MB folks at destination d and they view the icon as being replaceable as the solution to changing the battery.

I can understand that now reading your comment.:upsidedow I guess seeing how we will continue to visit in the future we can just collect new colors..... or buy the accessories...:thanks:

If I can't, is there any way to tell if the MBs took the ride photo after getting off the ride other than checking my MDE?
Our almost 3 year-old MBs still had long-range capability for the 7DMT video and photo.

There will be a delay of at least 20 minutes before a photo shows up on MDE. During our Sept/Oct trip, we found it was best to tap the photo touchpoints located at the ride exits to ensure the correct photos were linked to our account. We ended up with the wrong log photos (3) after riding Splash 3 times.

Our almost 3 year-old MBs still had long-range capability for the 7DMT video and photo.

There will be a delay of at least 20 minutes before a photo shows up on MDE. During our Sept/Oct trip, we found it was best to tap the photo touchpoints located at the ride exits to ensure the correct photos were linked to our account. We ended up with the wrong log photos (3) after riding Splash 3 times.

Thanks so much. Very helpful advice!

This thread has been super helpful. I'm coming out of lurker status because I do have a question - I made a reservation a couple of days ago for POR for in March (we have 58 days left) but do not see our MagicBands to customize on MDE yet. Is there a lag time from when you make your reservation and when the bands show up for you to customize?

Here now and a couple of comments/questions about MB
Today was our second check-in day of a stay that is made up of 3 separate reservations strung together --- same resort, same room --- We each have 3 bands assigned to our names. Picked up first ones no problem, today we went to get the new ones and were told we don't NEED them just keep using the same ones... ok fine, why are they showing in my account as active if they don't have them at the desk???

I upgraded my ticket to an Annual Pass and because we're staying on-site long enough to use this address i customized my MB for that ... it showed up today -- only ordered it Tuesday --- and <sigh> it's also still the old style :(

Should i keep trying to find the 2 active bands my account says are at the front desk or just ignore them??

This thread has been super helpful. I'm coming out of lurker status because I do have a question - I made a reservation a couple of days ago for POR for in March (we have 58 days left) but do not see our MagicBands to customize on MDE yet. Is there a lag time from when you make your reservation and when the bands show up for you to customize?

I've never seen a delay but others have mentioned needing to call to get it fixed. If it's not under magicbands and cards on the website call up disney and let them know as they will need to fix it.

Here now and a couple of comments/questions about MB
Today was our second check-in day of a stay that is made up of 3 separate reservations strung together --- same resort, same room --- We each have 3 bands assigned to our names. Picked up first ones no problem, today we went to get the new ones and were told we don't NEED them just keep using the same ones... ok fine, why are they showing in my account as active if they don't have them at the desk???

It sounds like they didn't tell you they didn't have them. Tell them you want them anyway, they are in your account, your concerned because they are a room key and you got different colors and want to be able to match clothing :) Try to guess who behind the desk that looks like that clothing statement will mean something to them.

I upgraded my ticket to an Annual Pass and because we're staying on-site long enough to use this address i customized my MB for that ... it showed up today -- only ordered it Tuesday --- and <sigh> it's also still the old style :(

You had an AP magicband only customized a week ago show up as 1.0 bands? I know resort pick up bands are still 1.0 and will be until end of next week. I think you found a loophole in the system because you used the resort address and resort pick up bands are still 1.0 and it's the last guest bands to switch over.

Should i keep trying to find the 2 active bands my account says are at the front desk or just ignore them??

Up to you, my recommendation is deactivate them if your not going to get them because they are a room key. I personally would get them, they are on your account and you do get 1 band per person per reservation. You don't need it, you WANT it.

I've never seen a delay but others have mentioned needing to call to get it fixed. If it's not under magicbands and cards on the website call up disney and let them know as they will need to fix it.

OK. Thanks for your reply! I was hoping it would show up on its own. I'll give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter