EEK I'm Going Camping...Please Help!!

frog3101

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,

As my title states, I'm going to be camping and I need help/advice/guidance. Anything you can do to help me out, I will appreciate. :worship:

First things first, I will be staying 5 nights at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds at the end of May/beginning of June. My 4 kiddos and one (hopefully two) family friends round out the group. I have never camped...ever. The closest I have come is when I was a kid and slept in our back yard for a bit before heading inside before the "boogie man" got me.

Camping was never even on my radar as an option until I read about renting a camper. Bless that thread. We wanted a bit more space but were struggling to justify two rooms or a more expensive resort. We also really wanted to stay on property since we rarely make it to Disney. My kids have friends who camp and always ask why we never do. So once I figured out how much renting a camper would save us, and that I did not have to set it up/tear down or more importantly worry about dealing with the bath room hook ups and such it was a no brainer. I'm super excited and not telling my kids about the camper until we arrive. I'm also super nervous. My friend who is coming along is a "real" camper vs me who is going to pretend to be one for 5 nights. My friend has not stayed at Fort Wilderness though, so we are looking for guidance.
My kids at time,of travel will be 8,6,4 and 1 turning two while there. We are driving and hope to arrive early afternoon on the 29. There seems to be so much to do at the campgrounds, what is something good to do for day of arrival?
How hard is it to really drive around Disney? We think we will use the bus, but are willing to drive if it saves significant time. We will have two single strollers that I'm planning on renting.
Are there usually long lines for the showers at the comfort stations? I know we will have a shower in our camper but for the sake of time we may split and have some people use the comfort station.
I have so many more questions but have rambled so much already that I will stop for now. Thanks in advance. From what I've read on this board you guys are a fun group with a wealth of knowledge.

Hi Everyone,

As my title states, I'm going to be camping and I need help/advice/guidance. Anything you can do to help me out, I will appreciate. :worship:

First things first, I will be staying 5 nights at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds at the end of May/beginning of June. My 4 kiddos and one (hopefully two) family friends round out the group. I have never camped...ever. The closest I have come is when I was a kid and slept in our back yard for a bit before heading inside before the "boogie man" got me.

Camping was never even on my radar as an option until I read about renting a camper. Bless that thread. We wanted a bit more space but were struggling to justify two rooms or a more expensive resort. We also really wanted to stay on property since we rarely make it to Disney. My kids have friends who camp and always ask why we never do. So once I figured out how much renting a camper would save us, and that I did not have to set it up/tear down or more importantly worry about dealing with the bath room hook ups and such it was a no brainer. I'm super excited and not telling my kids about the camper until we arrive. I'm also super nervous. My friend who is coming along is a "real" camper vs me who is going to pretend to be one for 5 nights. My friend has not stayed at Fort Wilderness though, so we are looking for guidance.
My kids at time,of travel will be 8,6,4 and 1 turning two while there. We are driving and hope to arrive early afternoon on the 29. There seems to be so much to do at the campgrounds, what is something good to do for day of arrival?
How hard is it to really drive around Disney? We think we will use the bus, but are willing to drive if it saves significant time. We will have two single strollers that I'm planning on renting.
Are there usually long lines for the showers at the comfort stations? I know we will have a shower in our camper but for the sake of time we may split and have some people use the comfort station.
I have so many more questions but have rambled so much already that I will stop for now. Thanks in advance. From what I've read on this board you guys are a fun group with a wealth of knowledge.

For arrival day, you can't go wrong with pool time. I always need time the first day to organize our stuff, put away groceries, etc. I would also recommend the campfire for that day.

As for transportation, I would recommend using the boat to get to MK over driving. The boat drops you off right in front of the park. As for the other parks, it's a matter of personal preference to drive or take the bus. Some people like driving themselves. Others like the bus. We take the bus as we fly in and don't rent a car. I feel like most of the time, we get where we want to go quick enough and I don't want to hassle with figuring out how to get to different places.

Happy camping!

For arrival day I second the pool. My boys had a blast there in October on our arrival day.
I have not had to wait for a shower in the comfort station. There have been plenty of times when I have been the only person in there and my camp loop is full.
When we stay at the campground we take the ferry to the magic kingdom, but then drive to the other parks. We have found that it saves us time. There are signs everywhere telling you where to exit etc to get to the park you are wanting to go.
Hope that this helps you out and happy planning.

Thank you for your insight. i guess I should mention we do have dinner reservations for arrival night. Depending on what time we get there and how the kids are doing, we may be able to get some pool time in.

I know my kids will want to take the boat so we will do that for sure for Magic Kingdom. We may just have to play the other parks by ear.

I'm glad to hear that the comfort stations are not super crazy busy.

Another question...I'm sure it depends on location, but overall is it super loud? I'm looking forward to not sharing walls with people, but I realize the sites are fairly close to each other. For the record I don't want my kids to be a bother to other campers either so am wondering how easy it is to hear what is happening next door.

Thanks!!

It can be louder during the day. I certainly wouldn't worry too much about your kiddos. It is a campground after all. Lol. Normal laughing, playing, kid noises totally ok, screeching and screaming not so much. Talking in normal voices you will not hear much as to what is going on "next door". They do pipe in the music for the fireworks at magic kingdom at night. My family slept through it, I did not, but probably because I was so excited to be back.

So once I figured out how much renting a camper would save us, and that I did not have to set it up/tear down or more importantly worry about dealing with the bath room hook ups and such it was a no brainer.

Be aware that you may still have some dealing with the "Hook Ups." I am sure they will have someone to walk you through it (or leave documentation on what to do "In Case"). But you should be aware of how to empty the Black and Grey water tanks, particularly if you plan on using the shower, sinks and/or toilets. If they get full (Grey water can fill up quickly with a couple of showers) they can back up. Most likely the Black water (the real Yucky one :crazy2:) won't be too much of an issue with just 5 days. I know with my DD and DW just the 2 of them getting a shower will almsot fill our Grey Water tank. (They take showers just like they were at home). If your "Friend" is a "Real Camper" I am sure they can probably handle dealing with that though. Just be aware that there are still things that will need to be addressed that you wouldn't need to deal with in a Hotel.

Either way, I am sure you will have an awesome time.

Hiya!

I can't speak to the camping aspect of it, being a newbie myself, but I noticed you said you were planning on renting a couple of strollers even though you're driving? If you can POSSIBLY find space, consider bringing strollers down with you, not only for the cost ($65 each for your 5 days if you do a length-of-stay) but for the convenience. Strollers rented inside the park can't go out the gates, so if your little ones fall asleep in the stroller, you've got wake and carry them. Alternately you CAN rent from the offsite places, so then at least you can bring them "home" with you, but if you have room on the roofracks, then consider either bringing your "normal" ones or picking up a couple of cheap umbrella strollers at from a yardsale before your trip comes up. You can always trash/donate them before heading home if you've gotten too many souvenirs.

About 10 years ago I invested in a Jeep brand double-umbrella-stroller for about $100 our trip where our 3yo niece was along, as well as our 3yo daughter. Best decision EVER!!! We were expecting our next child at the time, so we used it for a couple of years while the oldest was still little-ish, then 5 years ago we took it back to Disney for one last hurrah... It was a LIFESAVER being able to stroll them out of the parks... "little enough to need a stroller for 10 mile days" is still awfully big when it's unconscious and you have to carry it! (and I won't lie, it was nice having a place to hang all the junk!)

So that's my 2-cents on, well, saving 2 cents! :)

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies. I'm glad to know that I will have to pay more attention than I thought I might to the water/toilet situation. Hopefully they will leave good directions or show us if we are there when they set up. It's good to have a heads up though to make sure I have all my bases covered and maybe a list of questions. My friend is a tent camper usually, but between the two (maybe three) of us I'm guessing we can figure it out. I do have a friend who owns a camper and she said her and her husband would be happy to give me a basic course and list of things I should check and such. If all else fails I'm not too ashamed to knock on a door and ask for help/guidance. :rolleyes1

I was planing on renting strollers from an outside company, just to save space. I may do a practice pack at some point and see how we do and if we can even fit in one stroller.

Thanks again for all who have replied.

If all else fails I'm not too ashamed to knock on a door and ask for help/guidance. :rolleyes1
That's another beautiful thing at the Fort too.... Most folks are friendly enough and happy to help if they can.

Enjoy your trip and don't forget a Trip Report. :)

That's another beautiful thing at the Fort too.... Most folks are friendly enough and happy to help if they can.

Enjoy your trip and don't forget a Trip Report. :)

Yep, we all have chairs to sit outside and watch the show! :rotfl2::lmao::lmao: (Thinking about the movie RV) Just kidding, most campers are happy to help you.
ETA: DW and I were in Arizona this summer at campground, told her that you could always tell a rental by watching 6 people standing around looking at the sewer hookup.:scratchin

DW and I were in Arizona this summer at campground, told her that you could always tell a rental by watching 6 people standing around looking at the sewer hookup.
That was the FIRST thing I wanted to know about... That is NOT the place that I want to do a "Crappy Job!" :rotfl2:

Thank you for your insight. i guess I should mention we do have dinner reservations for arrival night. Depending on what time we get there and how the kids are doing, we may be able to get some pool time in.

I know my kids will want to take the boat so we will do that for sure for Magic Kingdom. We may just have to play the other parks by ear.

I'm glad to hear that the comfort stations are not super crazy busy.

Another question...I'm sure it depends on location, but overall is it super loud? I'm looking forward to not sharing walls with people, but I realize the sites are fairly close to each other. For the record I don't want my kids to be a bother to other campers either so am wondering how easy it is to hear what is happening next door.

Thanks!!

We were there our very first time last spring for 2 weeks and I have to say it wasn't loud except for one weekend when a large group came in next to us, but it was only 1 day that it was bad. The majority of the time it felt extremely peaceful. The place is HUGE, can I say HUGE. So if you have bikes, or want to rent a golf cart, would definitely think about it, altho there is access to buses to get around the Fort everywhere. It's a beautiful, happy, healing place! We just loved it there.

I'm sure anybody who is a seasoned camper will take one look at me and know that I am most definitely an imposter! I'm really looking forward to trying something new though and can't wait to see my kids reactions! Thanks so so much for all of your help so far. I can tell already our trip will run more smooth because of this board.

I'm glad to know for the most part it is not super loud. I realize it is a campground and many people/kiddos so I don't expect perfect silence all the time, but am relived to know we should be able to sleep well most nights.

Two more questions...

Will I be able to apply any gift cards I have to my account when we check in or do I need to do this on the MDE app?

I'm pondering matching shirts, especially for my son's birthday. I read a lot that some don't feel like it's a good idea to put kids names on shirts and other items, because of strangers being able to call them by name. I see the point, but feel if people are at all listening to a family they will hear the kids names at some point and if they really want to call them or get their attention there are lots of ways to accomplish this? I'm pretty cautious and my kiddos know to stay with me/family friends. We've had many conversations about what to
do if we get separated and I feel I'm not putting them at an exceptionally big risk by putting names on shirts.am I missing something or does this seem logical? Thanks! I am kind of a nervous nelly about a lot of things but this to me doesn't seem like a "huge" thing.

I'm sure anybody who is a seasoned camper will take one look at me and know that I am most definitely an imposter! I'm really looking forward to trying something new though and can't wait to see my kids reactions! Thanks so so much for all of your help so far. I can tell already our trip will run more smooth because of this board.

I'm glad to know for the most part it is not super loud. I realize it is a campground and many people/kiddos so I don't expect perfect silence all the time, but am relived to know we should be able to sleep well most nights.

Two more questions...

Will I be able to apply any gift cards I have to my account when we check in or do I need to do this on the MDE app?

I'm pondering matching shirts, especially for my son's birthday. I read a lot that some don't feel like it's a good idea to put kids names on shirts and other items, because of strangers being able to call them by name. I see the point, but feel if people are at all listening to a family they will hear the kids names at some point and if they really want to call them or get their attention there are lots of ways to accomplish this? I'm pretty cautious and my kiddos know to stay with me/family friends. We've had many conversations about what to do if we get separated and I feel I'm not putting them at an exceptionally big risk by putting names on shirts.am I missing something or does this seem logical? Thanks! I am kind of a nervous nelly about a lot of things but this to me doesn't seem like a "huge" thing.

I would suggest applying the gift cards to your account at check in. I would not worry about putting the names on the shirts; if you're still on the fence, you could always use "Birthday Boy" "Mom's Prince Charming" etc. Lots of great ideas on Etsy!

I'm pondering matching shirts, especially for my son's birthday. I read a lot that some don't feel like it's a good idea to put kids names on shirts and other items, because of strangers being able to call them by name. I see the point, but feel if people are at all listening to a family they will hear the kids names at some point and if they really want to call them or get their attention there are lots of ways to accomplish this? I'm pretty cautious and my kiddos know to stay with me/family friends. We've had many conversations about what to do if we get separated and I feel I'm not putting them at an exceptionally big risk by putting names on shirts.am I missing something or does this seem logical? Thanks! I am kind of a nervous nelly about a lot of things but this to me doesn't seem like a "huge" thing.

So many families have had matching shirts on the trips we have gone. Some have names, some have nick names. My view is this. YOU know your kids best. YOU know what kind of parent you are. For us, I don't think I'd ever have been concerned about putting my child's name on a shirt/hat/mickey ears/etc.... While our youngest is still only 11 (and pretty responsible too), when she was younger, she would not go ANYWHERE without us. (sometimes it was her choice too, but mostly ours). Even if she was on a ride by herself, we would keep our eyes on her until she actually got on the ride and waited for her where she would get off the ride.

While I believe those child predators could be anywhere, even with the large crowds, we feel very safe at WDW (at least as far as this issue goes... trampling is another story. :tilt:) Again, you know your family best. Sounds like you don't see it as an issue and are doing your "Homework" to see if there may be something you missed. (which makes you an awesome parent). Go with your gut and most of all, have an awesome time.

Again, thank you all for your replies and help. I do think I'm going to go ahead and look for shirts and just see if I find something I like. Another question along the same lines....kind of sort of...at what age do you let your kids go to the restrooms alone? I'm mostly concerned about my 6 year old son since all adults on the trip will be ladies. Is it a big deal to let him use the restroom alone? At what age do people start to look at you "funny" if I still take him in with me?

Again, thank you all for your replies and help. I do think I'm going to go ahead and look for shirts and just see if I find something I like. Another question along the same lines....kind of sort of...at what age do you let your kids go to the restrooms alone? I'm mostly concerned about my 6 year old son since all adults on the trip will be ladies. Is it a big deal to let him use the restroom alone? At what age do people start to look at you "funny" if I still take him in with me?
When you say "go to the restrooms alone?" do you mean, from your site to go to the CS and use the facilities or do you mean you walk him over and wait outside while he takes care of business by himself?

For me, it's more about what YOU are comfortable with. Some children mature faster than others. At the age of 6, I'd probably not let him walk to the CS by themselves but would probably let them go inside by their self (as I waited outside) barring some other issues that might be unique to your child (i.e. still has problems cleaning self after done). I'd also consider how HE feels about it. At the age of 6, he is starting to get "embarrassed" by some things one of which might be going into the Ladies room with "Mom" (or aunt, sister, grandma, etc...). As long as everything else is okay, I wouldn't force the issue on him. Of course other factors are safety. At the fort, however, I am less concerned about "Predators", particularly if I am right outside the door.

I think though, by the age of 6, most children need to start getting a bit more independent and you would probably be okay with him going by himself (and again, maybe someone waiting outside for him)

Now, about people looking at you "Funny" about having your son in with you? I don't worry about that either. As long as your child isn't "Staring" at others while in there, I wouldn't worry to much about that either. There was another thread about someone who had a similar issue/concern, but their child was older. The difference, however, is that there was a developmental condition with their child and they needed the assistance. The consensus was pretty much the same.... If you are doing your own thing and taking care of your own business (with your child) and not into anyone else's business (or space) then most folks wont' care. You might get "a look" but I think that's human nature. When I see a "Girl" in the Men's room, it's not normal (well not yet... give congress a chance though, but that's another subject all together), so I think we are programmed to at least observe that which is not "Normal" and process it. I wouldn't necessarily take offense to it. Now the constant "Staring" and mumbling about it..... different story, but I don't think you would have that either.

Hope this helps. Sorry I rambled on so long. :oops:

There is also some family bathrooms at WDW you could use these. If not available. I would let someone go in first come out, then I'd take him in quickly and right back out to the other person while I use the bathroom.

I had no idea there were family bathrooms, thank you. Thanks also for reminding me that I need to focus on what works for us and as long as I'm not stepping on anybody else's toes/making them uncomfortable I should. To stress so much.

Everybody has been so great to reply and give help and suggestions, what a great group. :flower1:

I almost blew the surprise with my oldest yesterday:sad2:. It's going to be harder keeping this trip under wraps than I thought. Wish me luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter