• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EEK I'm Going Camping...Please Help!!

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but let your kids try showering at home if they don't already, so they know what taking a shower is. I don't know how many times I have heard screaming children in shower houses because they never took one and it sounds like bloody murder and I get a few laughs. It will relax you and the child will be more comfortable. My 3 daughters have been showering since age two and it made it a more enjoyable experience while camping.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but let your kids try showering at home if they don't already, so they know what taking a shower is. I don't know how many times I have heard screaming children in shower houses because they never took one and it sounds like bloody murder and I get a few laughs. It will relax you and the child will be more comfortable. My 3 daughters have been showering since age two and it made it a more enjoyable experience while camping.
You know... that's one of those things I never would have thought of. Fortunately, now, my girls are old enough (I hope at 12 and 20) to be able to shower themselves.

Now that I think back though to our first trip to the Fort, the DW did wash our youngest in the TT's tub. (It was a small tub, but that was perfect for her at that time at as she was only 5.)

I never would have thought about the shower thing either. That's why I came here, for great advice and information on things that would probably never cross my mind to consider/think about. Fortunately all my kids are veterans when it comes to showers.

My next order of shirts and two dresses I ordered for the kids should be arriving any day. They are for our character meal at Hollywood and Vine. They looked so cute on the Etsy site I can't wait to see them in person. :-) I also just ordered new sandals for everyone. Good walking ones so hopefully we will avoid blisters.

While I'm thinking of it, is there specific protocol in case if severe weather? I know rain/downpours are common, but I'm thinking extended periods of not safe to be in a camper weather. My oldest is afraid of storms and I want to start prepping her before we leave so she knows all is safe and there is a plan for bad weather. Is this information provided at check in or is everybody on their own to be weather conscious and make a choice to head to better shelter?Thanks again for all input. I'm just trying to cover all bases so we can avoid meltdowns if possible. She's going to be so excited to camp, but nervous too. She has actually spent one night in a tent in a rain storm at camp and I was amazed I didn't get a call. She said she was freaked out all night but was afraid to wake up her counselor.

Last edited:
I have not been at the Fort during real bad weather, but I can pretty much guarantee you that Disney has a plan for it. They have implemented it many times for hurricanes and other hazardous weather. This is one of the reasons they request a cell phone number in case they need to contact you. Also they have been known to go from Site to Site to inform people of situations.

In extreme situations where they have to evacuate the fort (which happened a couple of months ago) they attempt to accommodate folks appropriately in their other properties which are better suited for the hazardous weather. I believe they also would have you move your RV's to the TTC lot (the back) so that they would be safe as well. (as safe as possible anyway).

While I'm thinking of it, is there specific protocol in case if severe weather? I know rain/downpours are common, but I'm thinking extended periods of not safe to be in a camper weather. My oldest is afraid of storms and I want to start prepping her before we leave so she knows all is safe and there is a plan for bad weather. Is this information provided at check in or is everybody on their own to be weather conscious and make a choice to head to better shelter?

We were there several years ago in a mh when Tropical Storm Debbie came through and we were told at that time that we would be evacuated with sustained wind speeds of 35mph or more.

They kept us updated. Lots of rain and small limbs falling. All tents and some trailers left, so lots of campground looked empty. Leaving was pretty well at your discretion, except for mandatory.

We've been there in thunderstorms, but mostly all that is just part of camping. There is no particular protocol for what to do in bad weather - you could ask, and see their advice, otherwise it's just a common sense thing, I guess! :)

Hi,
I'm back with a few more random questions. The "big reveal" for the kids is 3 weeks away and I'm tweaking my lists and such. So in no particular order, here we go.

1. I'm thinking of ease and wondering if a baseball cap will work most of the time. On my last visit I didn't ride any "big" rides so want to make sure for the most part it will stay on during rides. I do realize I can take it off and on without much issue just wondering how many rides actually have the force to knock it off.

2. I saw a revitalized thread with the green Mickey head and Musket Mickey to identify ourselves to other Disboard campers. I'd like to try my own twist on something, is this acceptable? I don't want to break any "codes" about what can be used. I'm not sure how many will be there at the same time, but it'd be fun to meet and thank people in person for all the help and advice you've given me.

3. Finally ( for now...) I have reservations for Chef Mickeys for our arrival day. Am thinking of switching to Whispering Canyon. We have other character meals booked for our trip and have always wanted to try Whispering Canyon and think my kiddos would enjoy the antics. Chef Mickeys really isn't on my "must do " list, but we have never been there either. Just booked it thinking it would be a good way to meet the Fab Five and get supper in. Thoughts/suggestions?

As always, thanks!!

Last edited:
#2. You can use any sign, creativity is encouraged here. Then we need a pic. We may borrow it though. ;)

I don't want to break any "codes" about what can be used.
Holy Cow! We have codes here?

Man, am I in trouble. :worship:

The "big reveal" for the kids is 3 weeks away and I'm tweaking my lists and such.

1. I'm thinking of ease and wondering if a baseball cap will work most of the time.

2. I saw a revitalized thread with the green Mickey head and Musket Mickey to identify ourselves to other Disboard campers. I'd like to try my own twist on something, is this acceptable?

3. Finally ( for now...) I have reservations for Chef Mickeys for our arrival day. Am thinking of switching to Whispering Canyon.
This sounds really fun. We have never done the reveal thing. The closest I came was a month ago. We are taking my sister and her DD(5). My niece announced that she didn't want to go to Disney World in September. She doesn't know anything about Disney and I think my sister was down playing everything, so I sat down with my niece and pulled up the Disney web site to start showing her all the things at WDW. After about 10 minutes of showing her a few YouTube videos, she said; "That's Disney!?. I WANT TO GO! I WANT TO GO!"

Now, to your questions.

1. I almost always wear a ball cap. I am a guy, but the shade on my face is nice. I also have really oily hair and by mid-day in the sun and wind and sweat, my hair is pretty nasty. Some sort of cap is a humanitarian effort. :-) As for rides, I do take it off for any "coaster" type ride. Space Mountain, Big Thunder RR and the like.

2. Putting your own twist on a Disney sign is not only acceptable, but almost expected. Make it any way you want. And yes, meeting other DIS'ers is a lot of fun.

3. We've done Chef Mickeys almost every trip. The atmosphere is neat with the monorail and the Contemporary atrium, but the food is generally terrible. Especially for the price. If you already have other meet and greets, I'd definitely do Whispering Canyon.

We are looking into that right now. My niece will be 6 when we go in September. I was going to do Chef Mickey again for a fun meet and greet, but I'm looking into others right now instead. We've done the Poly for breakfast, mostly because DS is a huge Stitch fan. My 180 day window opens on Monday.

j

1. I always wear a hat but not for the same reason as Teamubr.. You have to have hair first to be oily.:laughing: A sunburned top is NOT FUN! :rotfl:I've just took it off and sat on it on some of the rides, only problem I have is I just can't do nothing with what hair I have, so when the hat comes off, I look like Dr. Brown on Back to the future!:scared1:

2. Can't help you much there.

3. We have always tried to get early Crystal Palace Resies for Character Breakfast.

I would do whispering canyon. We really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. We've been once for lunch and once for dinner. We like just visiting the lodge too.

We have done the reveal thing once for our first trip to the Fort with 2 of our daughters. I had made ressies at the Fort without them, or my wife knowing, we stayed 3 days at Manatee campground over in the Cocoa area. On the 3rd day I told them we had reservations at another campground but they didn't know where. They were very excited when we pulled into the Fort.

Thank you all for your input and advice. I went ahead and cancelled Chef Mickeys and made a reservation for Whispering Canyon. I just wasn't feeling Chef Mickeys, and have always been a bit sad we were unable to do Whispering Canyon on our last trip. We have 3 other character meals planned, so I think we will get our fill of characters. Hopefully we will figure out a way to meet "The Mouse" and Minnie at some other point. Our reservation is a bit earlier than I'd like, but will keep looking for something later and if nothing comes up, we will adjust.

I'm definitely packing a hat. Why mess with hair on vacation? :confused3

I will see if I can come up with something unique for a sign. I'll have to get my travel buddies to help me out, otherwise we will be signless.

I hope the "big reveal" goes over well. At this point the plan is as follows...

One of our friends who is traveling with us has a birthday close to the day we are doing the reveal. I'm planning on giving her her birthday gift then, explaining to the kids we won't be able to be with her on her birthday so are celebrating with her early. All the things I have for her are items she can use on the trip (t-shirts, lanyard and such). After she opens it I'm going to have the other friend who is traveling with us say something like....What/Where are you going to use all that stuff? Have friend number one say, Maybe I should go to Disney World. Do you want to go with me (asking Friend number two). Then when they both agree that they are going and by this time thinking my kids will be going nuts because they want to to go, will have them ask if they want to go with them and then tell them OK, let's go to Disney when school gets out. Or something along those lines. We shall see, the best laid plans ya know.....

When I logged onto my account today it said I can do online check-in in 6 days??? Does this really help to do it so far out? d

Thanks again!

I have to say that I agree with Teamubr on pretty much all that he has said.

1. I wear a ball cap all the time at the parks. If I am concerned, I just take it off and hold it in my hand or sit on it. My dd had a hat with her on the one trip and her hair is long. We just pulled the hair through the adjustment strap in the back and it worked well. It did almost come off on Space mountain, but because her hair was pulled through it allowed her to quickly stop it before it got to far.

2. I think the "Green Sign" was just a unique way to easily and quickly identify Disboard members. Some were on poster boards, some were on wood, some were done other ways.... Be creative. If you keep the overall theme (the general shape/color) it will probably be more recognizable for existing members who are familiar with it, but even if you go completely opposite of what was done... That's cool tool. We love pictures here so a picture would really be expected, that way we could identify it if we see it AND so we can marvel in your ideas and steal them, err... I mean borrow them if they are really good. :rolleyes1

3. We have done Chef Mickey's twice. First time was the actual Thanksgiving dinner. I have to say, for the money, I was NOT impressed. Not even a little. The food was marginally passable and even the Character interactions were less then stellar. They rushed through like they had somewhere else to go. While I understand that they DO have somewhere else to go (the next table), it's not only the kids that want pictures with the characters..... Even us "Big" kids do too, but you practically have to time them down to get them. Again, very frustrating for the money you pay.

The second time we went, I thought it would be a bit better. Well, it was... Just a bit. The food was probably only marginally better then it was on Thanksgiving. The character interactions were also a bit better in that they didn't quite rush out AS much, but they were still rushing to move along. It was however a bit easier to nab them for the Adult Pictures too.

You can meet Mickey and Minnie in the MK (in fact Mickey is a "Talkie" too) and the others can be found in the various parks as well.

We also did Whispering Canyon for the first time in August 2016. I loved it. DD11 wasn't a huge fan when she asked for ketchup and ended up with about 15 bottles. She doesn't know it yet but we have ADRs for our June 2017 trip at Whispering Canyon too.

Just a small update and another question or two....

Tomorrow is Fastpass day! :cool1: I know I will probably have to tweak them once I actually tell the kids and the other "grow-ups" in the party have a chance to see what I am able to get and what they would like switched..if possible.

I just ordered my last set of shirts for the trip so as soon as the kids know (2 weeks from tomoroow) I'll be starting to pack.

Dining reservations are pretty set. Sticking with the following for ADR's and will fill in the rest with snacks/meals at the camper or snack/quick service at the parks. Whispering Canyon, I'm excited about this one. My son and husband LOVE ketchup. My son will be so excited to tell his dad about all the ketchup. Crystal Palace for breakfast on my youngest sons birthday. Hollywood and Vine for lunch one day and Akerhaus for breakfast one day.

Does anybody know how much a cab from the campgrounds to the airports runs..approximately? My friend has had work related stuff come up and will be flying
home on the last day of our trip. Since those of us who have an 18 hour plus drive want to be on the road early that day we are looking into her just taking a cab to the airport since her flight will most likely be later than what we want to stay around and take her.

Also, thinking about using the express buses to get between parks. For those who have used it with kids and strollers did you find it worth the extra cost? I know this is subjective to opinion but looking for thoughts forum those who have used the service.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Does anybody know how much a cab from the campgrounds to the airports runs..approximately? My friend has had work related stuff come up and will be flying home on the last day of our trip. Since those of us who have an 18 hour plus drive want to be on the road early that day we are looking into her just taking a cab to the airport since her flight will most likely be later than what we want to stay around and take her.
Is she on the reservation? If so, can't she use Disney's Magical Express? (DME)

Just a small update and another question or two....

Tomorrow is Fastpass day! :cool1: I know I will probably have to tweak them once I actually tell the kids and the other "grow-ups" in the party have a chance to see what I am able to get and what they would like switched..if possible.

I just ordered my last set of shirts for the trip so as soon as the kids know (2 weeks from tomoroow) I'll be starting to pack.

Dining reservations are pretty set. Sticking with the following for ADR's and will fill in the rest with snacks/meals at the camper or snack/quick service at the parks. Whispering Canyon, I'm excited about this one. My son and husband LOVE ketchup. My son will be so excited to tell his dad about all the ketchup. Crystal Palace for breakfast on my youngest sons birthday. Hollywood and Vine for lunch one day and Akerhaus for breakfast one day.

Does anybody know how much a cab from the campgrounds to the airports runs..approximately? My friend has had work related stuff come up and will be flying
home on the last day of our trip. Since those of us who have an 18 hour plus drive want to be on the road early that day we are looking into her just taking a cab to the airport since her flight will most likely be later than what we want to stay around and take her.

Also, thinking about using the express buses to get between parks. For those who have used it with kids and strollers did you find it worth the extra cost? I know this is subjective to opinion but looking for thoughts forum those who have used the service.

Thanks again!!
She can use the magical express as long as she is listed on your reservations. You can call and arrange this. It's no problem that it's just 1 person from your party or just for the way home.
This is the online form:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/airport-transportation-reservation/

Hi,
Just had to let everybody know that the reveal went well and the kids are super excited. My oldest is already in planning mode and I'm thinking I might have told her too soon. :D The others are excited but really don't understand all of it and are mainly along for the ride at this point. I was also planning on keeping the camping a secret until we arrived, but my husband let it slip. He thought when I did the reveal I had told them. I says I didn't tell him it was a secret....I'm pretty sure I did. :confused3 Oh well, the kids have a had great time looking at camper pictures and checking out other pictures of the fort. I still have a few surprises up my sleeve that I hope to be able to keep under wraps until we arrive.

Thanks for letting me know my friend can use Disney Magical Express to get to the airport. I didn't realize it was an option since we are not arriving by flight. I told her it's available and am leaving it up to her to decide how she wants to get the airport.

Glad to hear reveal went well mostly. Since DH messed up on camping part I would nominate him for NSS watch every night.

Hi, back with another question or two.
I'm really serious, this trip would have been so much harder to plan if it were not for all of the advice I've gotten on here.

Anyway, something "important" I've been meaning to ask...is unsweetened tea available to order in the parks/table service? Do I need to specify I want unsweet? I love my iced tea, but it's gotta be unsweet! Thanks!

I did online check-in a few days ago. Now I just wait for a text on arrival day for our spot, correct? Then I will notify the rental company for our camper and they will be able to go in and set it up even if we are not there,right? They told me this was the case when I made the camper reservation and I'm sure since that's what they do for a business they know what they are talking about, but I'm nervous we'll get there and there will be no camper!

Last edited:
As I recall some place had unsweetened tea, some places did not. It's been my experience that if you want Unsweeten Tea, you need to specify it EVERY TIME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter