ebola concerns

Yes, I saw that. The Belize story contradicts the USA Today one. No way to determine which is correct.

Yes, I saw that. The Belize story contradicts the USA Today one. No way to determine which is correct.

yep. each person has to decide which "news" they believe. Kinda sad, isnt it?

Anyway, my cruise is 3 weeks out, VGT non-refundable. I'm watching very closely and will have no problem canceling/losing my money if the irresponsibility of those close to ebola doesnt cease.

I live in the Dallas area and receive news pushed to my phone from my local NBC tv station. When I got this news pushed to my phone a few minutes ago I was wondering who would be the first DISer to post it.

I am sure we are all keeping a vigilant watch on the details of the virus - but just reading this article from the Belize link above, look at the headline compared to the detail in the article:

Headline:

Belize Confirms Patient With Ebola Symptoms On Cruise Ship Off Its Coast

Detail:

Belmopan. October 16, 2014. The Government of Belize was contacted today by officers of the U.S. Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola. The passenger had voluntarily entered quarantine on board the ship and remains free of any fever or other symptoms of illness. The Ebola virus may only be spread by patients who are experiencing fever and symptoms of illness and so the US Government had emphasized the very low risk category in this case. Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution, the Government of Belize decided not to facilitate a U.S. request for assistance in evacuating the passenger through the Phillip Goldson International Airport.

It seems that there is some intent to create mass hysteria....

In any event, it is concerning if they won't allow the ship to anchor or allow passengers to disembark! It makes you wonder how far this is going to go...

The problem here is that when the healthcare workers don't take the proper precautions it can also spread. That Dallas nurse? Turns out she may have had a fever BEFORE her trip and didn't tell anyone. So now that flags both flights. Just saw on the crawl in this morning's news that the CDC is monitoring a contact who is on a cruise ship.

"The problem here is that when the healthcare workers don't take the proper precautions it can also spread" The nurse followed all protocols given to her at the time. The CDC and the hospital have confirmed this.

"That Dallas nurse? Turns out she may have had a fever BEFORE her trip and didn't tell anyone." Also NOT True. She did notify the CDC and they gave her permission to fly. Also confirmed by CDC and the family of the nurse.

Sorry but I am sick of seeing these nurses blamed when it was not their faults. They did exactly what was told of them to do.

and no I am not a nurse or in the medical field.

I am sure we are all keeping a vigilant watch on the details of the virus - but just reading this article from the Belize link above, look at the headline compared to the detail in the article:

Headline:

Belize Confirms Patient With Ebola Symptoms On Cruise Ship Off Its Coast

Detail:

Belmopan. October 16, 2014. The Government of Belize was contacted today by officers of the U.S. Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola. The passenger had voluntarily entered quarantine on board the ship and remains free of any fever or other symptoms of illness. The Ebola virus may only be spread by patients who are experiencing fever and symptoms of illness and so the US Government had emphasized the very low risk category in this case. Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution, the Government of Belize decided not to facilitate a U.S. request for assistance in evacuating the passenger through the Phillip Goldson International Airport.

It seems that there is some intent to create mass hysteria....

In any event, it is concerning if they won't allow the ship to anchor or allow passengers to disembark! It makes you wonder how far this is going to go...

I'm firmly believe in checking multiple sources for news. The detail in this story is similar to what CNN is reporting. The passenger in question is not experiencing any symptoms. He/she is a lab tech at Texas Presbyterian and may have handled his lab specimens. The lab specimens would have been handled 19 days ago, so this person is very close to the end of the 21 day incubation period. While the incubation period is considered to be 2 to 21 days, the average incubation is less than 10 days. So the risk here is very low.

However, that being said, I'm utterly dumbfounded at the missteps made by the hospital and its employees. Any employee that had contact with the patient or his lab samples should have been placed under quarantine until the incubation period was up. NO EXCEPTIONS. The nurse, Amber Vinson, should have known better than to get on a commercial plane and fly to Cleveland and then back after her exposure to Duncan and especially not after beginning to exhibit symptoms. They are now saying that based on interviews with her family members, she might have been exhibiting symptoms earlier than she has reported to authorities. Her travel is beyond irresponsible.

I'm not freaking out about this. I'm not stocking up on food, water, and protective suits. But I am concerned at the incompetent response and how that incompetence has placed other people at risk. The CDC seems to have its collective head up its butt on this. The personnel at Texas Presbyterian was not given the proper guidance, the proper equipment, or the proper protocols. There seem to be very common sense things that are being completely ignored in how this is being handled. And that does worry me because lack of common sense is what will end up spreading this infection.

Agreed!

Doesn't it make you wonder why they would write a headline like that?

Also, other detail in the article stated that the passenger was on a tender with symptoms! Why would the paper want to spread this dis-information?! Or rather, it makes you wonder what the sources are.

Mass hysteria and fear mongering sell papers and tv time slots...

No reason to panic, i agree...

This might have been mentioned already but I have not read through all the posts. How was the worker red flagged if she had no symptoms?

Part of the problem, which is usually most noticable in situations involving death and destruction, is that the press has an insatiable need to one up each other. This leads them to report every single thing they hear, regardless of whether there is any evidence to support it or not, for fear of the other guy "breaking the news." Which leads to people panicking over non-issues or for the tin-foil hat brigade, gives them fodder for conspiracy theories.

I'm not in any panic over it. I did notice that CNN and MSNBC did not seem to "break" the story at all until many hours late, and did not mention the "updates" the Belize story has. They may just be slow to get the info, or some of it may be erroneous. Who knows? Eventually we'll find out. ;)

I'm not freaking out about this. I'm not stocking up on food, water, and protective suits. But I am concerned at the incompetent response and how that incompetence has placed other people at risk. The CDC seems to have its collective head up its butt on this. The personnel at Texas Presbyterian was not given the proper guidance, the proper equipment, or the proper protocols. There seem to be very common sense things that are being completely ignored in how this is being handled. And that does worry me because lack of common sense is what will end up spreading this infection.

I agree. I believe people are taking this too lightly because all of the conflicting information. I would be lying if I said that this isn't a major concern for me

Probably simply by virtue of the fact that their name was on paperwork associated with handling material related to the deceased.

The article said the CDC contacted Carnival.

There is quite a lively discussion thread about Ebola on the Community Board that I have been following all week. tons of articles and points of view. Very interesting reading.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3339841

MJ

I can tell you as an impatient nurse I have had ZERO workplace education on Ebola. Zero as in zero.
I work at a top 100 heart institute with astonishing credentials. But Ebola - zero info yet dispelled.
Let's not blame the nurses. They are going by their employers.

I have non-DCL cruise planned next month. I'll walk away from that trip if better info not available by then, I'm afraid.

Probably simply by virtue of the fact that their name was on paperwork associated with handling material related to the deceased.

I was thinking this as well. So is the CDC tracking down Dallas Hospital workers that were in direct contact with the patient? I believe I read that 70 workers that were in direct contact with the patient are now quarantined

The article said the CDC contacted Carnival.

MJ

I believe that since this issue arose with the second nurse traveling, the CDC has gone through all the hospital records and is tracking down everyone that may have had contact with Duncan or his fluids. Since this lab employee was on the cruise, the CDC contacted Carnival.

you, your friends, and your family are all paranoid. personally i'm not all that concerned. just like i was not all that concerned about H1N1 (even though there were confirmed cases in my area) nor was i all that concerned about SARS (even though the big outbreak was just across lake ontario in toronto.

Oh man - :goodvibes. I had confirmed H1N1 as did four of my kids. It was bad, bad news. :p

I can tell you as an impatient nurse I have had ZERO workplace education on Ebola. Zero as in zero. I work at a top 100 heart institute with astonishing credentials. But Ebola - zero info yet dispelled. Let's not blame the nurses. They are going by their employers. I have non-DCL cruise planned next month. I'll walk away from that trip if better info not available by then, I'm afraid.

I'm shocked they wouldn't at least set even if it's a guess some guidelines, but hey what do I know! Also given it's a government run agency it's probably understaffed and under budget constraints. you would always hope your employer would also do everything they could to protect you. however hospitals are also understaffed and funded. unfortunately any new disease like this starts out with large unknowns.before aids it wasn't a common place to wear gloves either. what concerns me is thisnt the first time Ebola was in the states either and apparently because that strain didn't affect humans like it did animals nothing came of it, but Ebola isn't new entirely either. god bless you for being a healthcare worker too! you take a risk no matter how small or large for the health of others.

I was thinking this as well. So is the CDC tracking down Dallas Hospital workers that were in direct contact with the patient? I believe I read that 70 workers that were in direct contact with the patient are now quarantined

I imagine it is out an abundance of caution, to alleviate fears and to cover their butts due to some seriously questionable decision-making.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter