• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drone show at Disney Springs!

They launch fireworks... pretty sure the "drone army" can use the same airspace. The drone army can be back where the boomers are and go to the elevated heights... use the current pyro around the castle if they are concerned. They might take some time to prove/comfort with these... but overall I'm pretty sure a controlled light drone is a wee bit safer than launching explosives (see the Star Wars firework bouncing down the road...) ;)

Oh I've been hit by MK fallout back by BOG but getting hit with paper, cardboard or sparks at that point is much softer than a rogue drone zooming at my head. I just think it's going to be some time before they are sophisticated enough to keep guests safe. Hey, Disney is having trouble driving big animal floats in a lake ...... so my confidence is just not there.

I'm not convinced drones and fireworks can share closed proximity. I remember feeling the power of the old SW fireworks and don't imagine a drone flying nearby those would be able to stay on course and not be knocked around. It will take some creative work.

They're pretty, but nothing (IMO) beats the wow factor of fireworks, so I hope they won't be replacing pyro anytime soon at least in the MK. I could see them using them at Epcot over the lagoon, but don't know if they could have that geo-fence safe zone at MK and still be visible to guests.

It certainly is an interesting next couple of weeks at the parks! Quite glad we booked that last minute trip in early December.

This looks amazing ... can see where it would open up a whole host of options for Disney going forward. That said, hopefully the plan is not to totally phase out fireworks though.

This looks amazing ... can see where it would open up a whole host of options for Disney going forward. That said, hopefully the plan is not to totally phase out fireworks though.

I don't think they will. As @Jennasis said, fireworks have a certain visceral wow factor that is hard to replicate with projections, etc. Especially with the MK castle show, I think fireworks are pretty much a must. Fireworks are magical, and have been wowing humanity for thousands of years. I don't think they're going away any time soon.

IMO the replacement for Illuminations will be the show to most heavily use this technology. Having them over the lagoon adds an inherent extra level of safety should anything drop. Something about the way that show is viewed from all sides seems to lend itself to drones as well, in my mind anyway - one could make three-dimensional formations, etc. They very well may add ambience to other shows (something like the Tangled floating lanterns, for example).

Just because they got this permission doesn't mean it's going to be drones drones drones all of a sudden. It remains to be seen how cool the tech actually is. I see this tech as more of a complimentary feature than the real meat of a show, but time will tell.

I think these are amazing so pretty. I have a phobia of fireworks so I am excited by this. If they offer both that will be neat to those that like fireworks and those of us that enjoy pretty lights without an explosive element.

Disney Springs is the perfect spot to develop this type of show. It's a free area, so if is less than perfect, this is the stage you want to develop the product.

Additionally as mentioned above, DS needs some sort of hook to draw people in. The flexibility of them, could make it so you have the Holiday Drone show on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the Mickey Mouse spectacular on Wednesday and Fridays, Avatar on Mondays, and the Super duper IP on the weekends. Give people one more excuse to go to Disney Springs, hanging out have a drink, to do some shopping and snack your way around the place.

Meanwhile you continue to learn how to exploit the technology for use in show updates in the pay to enter parks.

Fireworks won't die, but the shows will evolve. This is the innovation we often clamor for.

Disney Springs is the perfect spot to develop this type of show. It's a free area, so if is less than perfect, this is the stage you want to develop the product.

Additionally as mentioned above, DS needs some sort of hook to draw people in. The flexibility of them, could make it so you have the Holiday Drone show on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the Mickey Mouse spectacular on Wednesday and Fridays, Avatar on Mondays, and the Super duper IP on the weekends. Give people one more excuse to go to Disney Springs, hanging out have a drink, to do some shopping and snack your way around the place.

Meanwhile you continue to learn how to exploit the technology for use in show updates in the pay to enter parks.

Fireworks won't die, but the shows will evolve. This is the innovation we often clamor for.

Some very good points here. For Disney it's win-win - something innovative they can play with in a lower-pressure situation, and something that will most definitely brings LOTS of bodies to the Springs.

I don't think they will. As @Jennasis said, fireworks have a certain visceral wow factor that is hard to replicate with projections, etc. Especially with the MK castle show, I think fireworks are pretty much a must. Fireworks are magical, and have been wowing humanity for thousands of years. I don't think they're going away any time soon.

IMO the replacement for Illuminations will be the show to most heavily use this technology. Having them over the lagoon adds an inherent extra level of safety should anything drop. Something about the way that show is viewed from all sides seems to lend itself to drones as well, in my mind anyway - one could make three-dimensional formations, etc. They very well may add ambience to other shows (something like the Tangled floating lanterns, for example).

Just because they got this permission doesn't mean it's going to be drones drones drones all of a sudden. It remains to be seen how cool the tech actually is. I see this tech as more of a complimentary feature than the real meat of a show, but time will tell.

There is a LOT of motivation to move away from fireworks. Inherently, fireworks are expensive, have environmental and safety concerns, limit the time frames, can't be used in all locations, and have noise / fear issues associated with them.

They may have a visceral wow factor, and may well continue to be a part of shows, or part of special shows like New Years - but make no mistake, they are a massive part of Disney's operational budget and a drain on resources. If they can create a show that significantly reduces or eliminates them? It'll be done.

A quick look says $41-$55,000 is spent each night the fireworks run. Including special events, estimates are north of $45 Million a year on fireworks. $45 MILLION. That my friends is more motivation than anything. If they can use projection and drones to maybe not eliminate but reduce fireworks to 25% of current? They'd save over $33 Million a year. At Magic Kingdom. Alone.

I promise... they'll find some way to make the drones "magical" enough.

There is a LOT of motivation to move away from fireworks. Inherently, fireworks are expensive, have environmental and safety concerns, limit the time frames, can't be used in all locations, and have noise / fear issues associated with them.

They may have a visceral wow factor, and may well continue to be a part of shows, or part of special shows like New Years - but make no mistake, they are a massive part of Disney's operational budget and a drain on resources. If they can create a show that significantly reduces or eliminates them? It'll be done.

A quick look says $41-$55,000 is spent each night the fireworks run. Including special events, estimates are north of $45 Million a year on fireworks. $45 MILLION. That my friends is more motivation than anything. If they can use projection and drones to maybe not eliminate but reduce fireworks to 25% of current? They'd save over $33 Million a year. At Magic Kingdom. Alone.

I promise... they'll find some way to make the drones "magical" enough.
I don't think drones are the future at MK. Projections sure but not drones. Epcot and Disney springs are where the drones will live.

I think that the current battery technology will limit the use of drones as replacement for fireworks. Current batteries last about 20 minutes right now and you have to include the launch, staging and recovery times in that 20 minutes. They may compliment the show, but not entirely replace it. Another variable is wind speed and direction. Sure, they may able to fly at higher wind speeds but what effect will that have on battery life also. Throw a gust or two in the mix at different altitudes and the problem could be compounded. Eventually, maybe, but technology has to catch up first.

I think that the current battery technology will limit the use of drones as replacement for fireworks. Current batteries last about 20 minutes right now and you have to include the launch, staging and recovery times in that 20 minutes. They may compliment the show, but not entirely replace it. Another variable is wind speed and direction. Sure, they may able to fly at higher wind speeds but what effect will that have on battery life also. Throw a gust or two in the mix at different altitudes and the problem could be compounded. Eventually, maybe, but technology has to catch up first.

I don't disagree, which is why I said 3-5 years. Remember, the #1 drone on the market - the DJI Phantom launched only 3 years ago. The DJI phantom 1 had a 10 minute battery life. 3 years later, the 4 can fly for 28 minutes and travel 4 miles away and make it back. Wishes is currently around 18 minutes - so already looking at 1 drone able to fly the entire length. Now imagine 3-4 "groups" of drones - each responsible for a 5 minute portion and you can see battery life is not the issue.

I'm not saying there aren't "challenges" or next steps. Certainly we need to see how Disney Springs works, but take v2 or even v3 of this drone - with wider colors, brighter lights, 30% quieter, 30% longer battery life, 20% smaller... and 1000-1500 of them in the air simultaneously? Then add in the other aspects of the patents with the puppets and material to project on... you have something.

Of interest is their patent drawings for this all have the castle... :D I'm not saying tomorrow. Or 2017. I am saying from 2018 on we should watch closely and 2021 is definitely not a stretch at all to see 2500+ drones in the sky over the castle replacing fireworks. The progression is moving very rapidly, and the motivation to make something happen here is very very high.

I don't disagree, which is why I said 3-5 years. Remember, the #1 drone on the market - the DJI Phantom launched only 3 years ago. The DJI phantom 1 had a 10 minute battery life. 3 years later, the 4 can fly for 28 minutes and travel 4 miles away and make it back. Wishes is currently around 18 minutes - so already looking at 1 drone able to fly the entire length. Now imagine 3-4 "groups" of drones - each responsible for a 5 minute portion and you can see battery life is not the issue.

I'm not saying there aren't "challenges" or next steps. Certainly we need to see how Disney Springs works, but take v2 or even v3 of this drone - with wider colors, brighter lights, 30% quieter, 30% longer battery life, 20% smaller... and 1000-1500 of them in the air simultaneously? Then add in the other aspects of the patents with the puppets and material to project on... you have something.

Of interest is their patent drawings for this all have the castle... :D I'm not saying tomorrow. Or 2017. I am saying from 2018 on we should watch closely and 2021 is definitely not a stretch at all to see 2500+ drones in the sky over the castle replacing fireworks. The progression is moving very rapidly, and the motivation to make something happen here is very very high.
I agree 100%. 2500 drones by 2021 is probably an understatement.

Exploding fireballs of gunpowder and burning metal over a park full of people. What could go wrong?

Not understanding the safety conversation. Nobody said the drones were going to be hovering 10 feet over peoples heads. The concept would be to put them in the same "safe" zones as the firework launch sites. Not sure its significantly more risky of a drone spiraling out of control and flying towards the crowds, as a firework shell doing the same.

They aren't hovering over people, they are hovering over water.

I was thinking about the Magic Kingdom, I should have been more specific. I agree with the opinion/prediction that the drones will be featured most heavily in the new Illuminations for exactly that reason.

I was thinking about the Magic Kingdom, I should have been more specific. I agree with the opinion/prediction that the drones will be featured most heavily in the new Illuminations for exactly that reason.

Why do you think they won't be back in the fireworks launch and aerial areas? That is the part I am confused by. They wouldn't be flying over the hub... safety is not really the concern anymore than it would be with fireworks. The real question is what kind of density/show can they put on.

It will be good to see Springs so we can talk in reality vs. just what they've previewed... I am guessing they will be using something in the 50-100 drone level - far less than what Intel has already demonstrated. I'd be impressed if it was either closer to 500 or they utilized other parts of the patents like puppets or projection material as that would show they are further along than I suspect.

My guess... Disney Springs will be very basic. A few shapes, some color changes, less than 100 drones. <5 minute show multiple times a night. More along the lines of AK tree than a Wishes.

Exploding fireballs of gunpowder and burning metal over a park full of people. What could go wrong?

Not understanding the safety conversation. Nobody said the drones were going to be hovering 10 feet over peoples heads. The concept would be to put them in the same "safe" zones as the firework launch sites. Not sure its significantly more risky of a drone spiraling out of control and flying towards the crowds, as a firework shell doing the same.

I'm not a pyrotechnics expert, so I don't really know what remains of a firework after ignition. A fallen drone is in my view much more dangerous, as it is a solid piece of metal/plastic/whatever they make drones out of. I also wonder about the how well they can operate in windy condition vs. fireworks. Drones are much more complicated and inherently more prone to potential error. I just see a lot of liability issues for Disney.

I most definitely believe that drones will play a part in upcoming nighttime entertainment. It's just hard for me to imagine a cloud of thousands being feasible and or/safe in such a heavily populated space.

Why do you think they won't be back in the fireworks launch and aerial areas? That is the part I am confused by. They wouldn't be flying over the hub... safety is not really the concern anymore than it would be with fireworks. The real question is what kind of density/show can they put on.

It will be good to see Springs so we can talk in reality vs. just what they've previewed... I am guessing they will be using something in the 50-100 drone level - far less than what Intel has already demonstrated. I'd be impressed if it was either closer to 500 or they utilized other parts of the patents like puppets or projection material as that would show they are further along than I suspect.

My guess... Disney Springs will be very basic. A few shapes, some color changes, less than 100 drones. <5 minute show multiple times a night. More along the lines of AK tree than a Wishes.
I don't think they will be as heavily featured at MK as they will be at Epcot and Disney Springs. If they do use them at MK the drones or lights would have to be brighter or bigger in order to get a good look at them. The MK fireworks launch site is behind MK so perception and distance might be an issue here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter