Drone show at Disney Springs!

Let's hope this isn't as big of a bust as Rivers of Light - otherwise it will have to be a 4th of July show. Otherwise, I'm intrigued by this - I assume they're trying to make up for the loss of the Osborne Lights with this in some way?

Let's hope this isn't as big of a bust as Rivers of Light - otherwise it will have to be a 4th of July show. Otherwise, I'm intrigued by this - I assume they're trying to make up for the loss of the Osborne Lights with this in some way?

well, this plus the Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! .... even more than that I think this is trying to draw more people to Disney Springs

They'll be far enough away and use sound to compensate.

I forget that they are pretty easily drowned out. At the Muse concerts you don't really hear them as long as the music is going. Now if it is a quite moment you do hear them start up.

Guess they wanted to get in before the FAA changed their mind :p

It was just 3 days ago.

I am very intrigued. Definitely will check out the show the next time I'm there and it's showing.

I wonder if this recently released Intel drone swarm has anything to do with this. ;)
You know... considering it looks exactly the same, and Intel announced this right as Disney announced theirs... Nah... not related at all. :D :D

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/technology-innovation/aerial-technology-overview.html

BTW: In case my winks weren't enough... there is actually shared video footage between Intel's announcement and the Disney Springs announcement. These are the units that are being used. Watch the Intel announcement as it gives a better visual of what is possible with the drones... the swirling tree shown in the Springs announcement is the most basic of what they demonstrate.

You can start the 5-8 year countdown on fireworks shows. Seriously... I doubt Disney designs another fireworks show after the ones they have. Or if they do, the fireworks will be a small portion of the show, and projection/drones will make up the vast majority.

You can start the 5-8 year countdown on fireworks shows.

I hope your wrong, or the technology gets a whole lot more advanced in the next 5-8 years. this looks like it would in no way give a quality replacement to the fireworks show.

You can start the 5-8 year countdown on fireworks shows.
Maybe less pyro but I doubt we see pyro gone altogether in 5-8 years. Disneyland can't really use this tech because they have no major bodies of water other than the lagoon at DCA but thats where world of color is.

I'll sure be anxious to know more about this. Like, when does it start? Is it just once per night or will it run several times? I'm sure we'll know more soon if it's supposed to arrive in time for the holidays.

Guess they wanted to get in before the FAA changed their mind :p

It was just 3 days ago.

Disney Springs is not in the no fly zone, am sure they've been working on this knowing they can send it up. Getting that approval will aid them in MK and Epcot.

If they can launch fireworks, they can send the drones up to that height. Its just a matter of aligning with the FAA. Drones are going to be a lot more flexible in that respect - and a lot more neighbor/kid/environment friendly. Don't discount those advantages. Besides... they are more versatile and cost effective. Oh... Jungle Book is a surprise hit? Program a Jungle Book sequence to replace the Wreck it Ralph sequence... Boom... done.

Don't need a body of water. Hollywood studios could use the fireworks launch site.

The key pieces to this are size, and volume. If they can get the body of the drone to 1/2 the current size, and 3-4X the volume in air at once... then yes, this very quickly becomes a pyro replacement. Watch the Intel video... particularly the launch sequence with flashing lights. If you look at the Intel site, and review the "100 drone" launch videos, you can see where they more closely simulate fireworks with good effects - and that is using 100 drones. They are already at 500... they will scale this quickly to over a thousand - 10x the drones used in that effect.

Imagine the Hollywood studio Star Wars... projection of the death star that rises above the buildings... drones used to create a death star outline... .. X-wing projection fires two "torpedoes" at the drone death star... and then all drones explode outward in an explosion... That is the effect and the concept. Characters, text, shapes... simulated actions.

Its exciting that it is coming so soon to Disney Springs so people can see it. I would not be shocked if Magic Kingdom's 50th is 30% projection, 50% drones, and 20% pyro. If you look at where its been in the past 2 years... project that out 3-5 years? Particularly when you have motivation of cost, flexibility, and customer involvement (no more crying kids from noise).

BTW: In case my winks weren't enough... there is actually shared video footage between Intel's announcement and the Disney Springs announcement. These are the units that are being used. Watch the Intel announcement as it gives a better visual of what is possible with the drones... the swirling tree shown in the Springs announcement is the most basic of what they demonstrate.

You can start the 5-8 year countdown on fireworks shows. Seriously... I doubt Disney designs another fireworks show after the ones they have. Or if they do, the fireworks will be a small portion of the show, and projection/drones will make up the vast majority.

I think there will be a new 50th Anniversary fireworks for MK ... but once it's had its run, who knows. I think they really would have to be creative with MK with so little "safe" air not over guests if they are to use the drone army.

I think there will be a new 50th Anniversary fireworks for MK ... but once it's had its run, who knows. I think they really would have to be creative with MK with so little "safe" air not over guests if they are to use the drone army.

They launch fireworks... pretty sure the "drone army" can use the same airspace. The drone army can be back where the boomers are and go to the elevated heights... use the current pyro around the castle if they are concerned. They might take some time to prove/comfort with these... but overall I'm pretty sure a controlled light drone is a wee bit safer than launching explosives (see the Star Wars firework bouncing down the road...) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter