Drone show at Disney Springs!

Seriously? I figured the drones that did the Pepsi icon, "Pepsi," and "intel," as it was going to commercial, were prerecorded. But I thought for sure the parts during the show were live. That is disappointing.

Me too!! I was so disappointed to learn they weren't behind her as she was live.

I think the drone approval/disapproval is rooted in 1 thing - vision vs present.

If you watch it, and appreciate it as the first widespread demonstration of a technology that has an infinite growth potential - it was awe inspiring and amazing.

If you watch it, expecting to see a final product that is a giant flying HD billboard that makes you question reality - it was mediocre at best.

Again, this was 300 drones with basic 2D representation. If you read the articles, press releases, and watch the Intel engineering team who is responsible for this discuss it - you realize this is their Proof of Concept. Their real vision is drones that are 1/2 to 1/4 the size, twice the battery, twice as bright, and 1000s of them. They are likely 3-5 years away from the first engineering proofs of those drones. Very close, but not imminent.

So yes - the show was "lackluster" from a blew my mind perspective. It was amazing from the fact it was the first time ever done on a stage this large and for what the future holds. V1 of the drones. Usually V3 of a new technology/product is the deal breaker.

Well, at least in my case, what you have said is NOT true. I understand technology. I work with it every day. Even if intel or Disney eventually gets up to 100,000 drones it's still not going to be that impressive. I seriously doubt 100,000 would ever even happen given the logistics of it, I mean where do you park 100,000 drones close enough to a venue like WDW so that they still have enough battery life to do something when they get in place? Neat, yeah. Different that fireworks? Yeah. Something that's more impressive to me than an LED billboard? Nope. These will be great for advertising-banner-over-a-crowd applications at night, but I don't see much more than that.

And just so we're clear, no technology has "infinite growth potential". Especially one that requires a fixed amount of real estate to store/launch something.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and reconvene in 5 years to see where this technology has gone.

Well, at least in my case, what you have said is NOT true. I understand technology. I work with it every day. Even if intel or Disney eventually gets up to 100,000 drones it's still not going to be that impressive. I seriously doubt 100,000 would ever even happen given the logistics of it, I mean where do you park 100,000 drones close enough to a venue like WDW so that they still have enough battery life to do something when they get in place? Neat, yeah. Different that fireworks? Yeah. Something that's more impressive to me than an LED billboard? Nope. These will be great for advertising-banner-over-a-crowd applications at night, but I don't see much more than that.

And just so we're clear, no technology has "infinite growth potential". Especially one that requires a fixed amount of real estate to store/launch something.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and reconvene in 5 years to see where this technology has gone.

Ok

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter