Don't understand. Please explain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
love Disney and like Star Wars just fine...

But at HS and the parade with the storm troopers coming up the street with pounding aggressive music (scary to young ones) seems very militaristic as they march in sync (similar to our enemies)
They are the bad guys right?

What is the attraction to all this??

Don't get it.

And doesn't seem to fit into what Disney is all about.

Am I just missing something?

I missed the first five pages of this thread, but just wanted to say that the storm troopers and aggressive scary music scared my seven year old. He was not familiar with Star Wars so it was all very scary for him.

My husband and I thought it was neat though.

Um... Maybe a chat with George Lucas could clear that up. Where do you think the name "stormtrooper" came from?

lol ok I'll get him on the phone. I don't care enough about Star Wars to know the history and hidden meanings of it. I just know that at the end of the day, it's entertainment and for someone to be offended by that fact that people are enjoying it seems silly and out of place to me.

And Little Mermaid, character meets and main route to TSMM. When they first announced Launch Bay I felt like the placement was not appropriate and since the addition of the "march" it just reinforced that. We are just going to have to deal with mismatched areas until SWL opens.
Eh. My 4 year old DD LOVED the storm trooper march and also loved meeting Doc McStuffins. Plus the March is mostly down the main street, not in the animation court yard, and the pairs of patrolling storm troopers in the animation courtyard really aren't scary or intimidating to most people.

Eh. My 4 year old DD LOVED the storm trooper march and also loved meeting Doc McStuffins. Plus the March is mostly down the main street, not in the animation court yard, and the pairs of patrolling storm troopers in the animation courtyard really aren't scary or intimidating to most people.

They are fine for us too but I will not diminish concern that some families may be uncomfortable with scary characters plopped right in the middle of a preschoolers area, whether they are marching, meandering, interacting.

They are not scary to me or us ............ we love all things Star Wars, Villains, scary ....... but they do march through an area that offers preschool+ attractions and for some it might be upsetting. For folks that it might upset, they need to know that they have a presence. Several times when we went there were several just walking around in that area, and not coming nor going, but there interacting with guests, feet from preschool characters.

I think there is nothing wrong about appreciating where those who are concerned are coming from. Launch Bay thematically does not belong where it is. But I don't see any other space that would have worked. When SWL opens it will be gone but until then if it is uncomfortable to some they need to avoid that area.

Last edited:

They are fine for us too but I will not diminish concern that some families may be uncomfortable with scary characters plopped right in the middle of a preschoolers area, whether they are marching, meandering, interacting.

They are scary to me or us ............ we love all things Star Wars, Villains, scary ....... but they do march through an area that offers preschool+ attractions and for some it might be upsetting. For folks that it might upset, they need to know that they have a presence. Several times when we went there were several just walking around in that area, and not coming nor going, but there interacting with guests, feet from preschool characters.

I think there is nothing wrong about appreciating where those who are concerned are coming from. Launch Bay thematically does not belong where it is. But I don't see any other space that would have worked. When SWL opens it will be gone but until then if it is uncomfortable to some they need to avoid that area.

OK, fair enough. It's definitely out of place thematically and I'm all for making sure families have all the info they need to make sure their trip is successful.

Well, technically you can even say that a 5' Pluto dog is scary to some kids and it's presence might be upsetting. Still, don't think anyone would suggest that he be put in an area where he can't be seen by someone who is scared of him. I don't think Disney should worry with placement of characters based on someone being upset with them. It's Disney, expect characters.

I was TERRIFIED of anything Snow White related as a child (and quite embarrassingly struggle with it as an adult) because of the witch from the movie. I would not even LOOK at anything that had a picture of any Snow White characters on it, or willingly walk past the ride as a kid. If I so much as heard music from the movie, I would cover my ears and cower. To this day I fight off panic attacks when I see the witch anywhere and have to force myself to relax around any Snow White relate stuff.

Some things are scary to some kids and adults. This is life. We deal with it and move on.

love Disney and like Star Wars just fine...

But at HS and the parade with the storm troopers coming up the street with pounding aggressive music (scary to young ones) seems very militaristic as they march in sync (similar to our enemies)
They are the bad guys right?

What is the attraction to all this??

Don't get it.

And doesn't seem to fit into what Disney is all about.

Am I just missing something?

I personally have no problem with it, I think Star Wars adds a great element to the parks for those not into princesses and fairy tales but our 3 year old becomes terrified the moment she hears the music start to play. I literally have to start running in the opposite direction. It's just become our norm while at HS.

Well, technically you can even say that a 5' Pluto dog is scary to some kids and it's presence might be upsetting. Still, don't think anyone would suggest that he be put in an area where he can't be seen by someone who is scared of him. I don't think Disney should worry with placement of characters based on someone being upset with them. It's Disney, expect characters.

Kind of reminds me of a bit from an old Robin Williams stand-up routine. Won't post it here because of the language, but if you google "Robin Williams Mickey Mouse" it's the first video to come up.

Of course 90% of the posts miss the point.

I like stars wars. And not "offended" by the march.

Just stating an opinion that I think it's strange choice for the center of a family park. (Let alone can't imagine what someone who went through ww2 would think about it)

You notice you don't have to see/hear Harry Potter villains to get to dr. Suess land...

But if you compare a group of military storm troopers to Snow White or Pluto or Malificent you are a little lost. And don't understand what stormtroopers emulate in real life. (And yes I go to Disney parks to get away from real life also - that's why Pluto is not a comparison guys)

This militaristic "march" comes down the very center of the park ever 30 minutes I believe (at least it seemed)

We were in Disney jr section most of the day (which is clearly for young ones and some trying to catch a nap even) and there was simply no avoiding this. (Or leaving a line and 'running into a shop' as someone actually sincerely suggested?)

I like Star Wars. Seen all the movies. I thought the Jedi kids fighting darth Vader was an absolutely awesome attraction.
It's in its own section and I would love my kids to do that one day.

But a March of enemy faceless soldiers with blaring ominous music down the very center of the park? That doesn't seem to make sense and frankly is not really very imaginative.

Interestingly if every 30 minutes they had a similar parade with 30 green faceless American soldiers coming down the street. I don't think anyone would watch it.
Besides they would never do that because that doesn't make any sense either.

But once again this "march" is easy for Disney - crank up the music and send 30 people in faceless masks down the street every 30 minutes if this delights people to watch over and over and over again...

And if you're one of them go for it.

Here's hoping Star Wars land is awesome (and the stormtrooper ominous march music doesn't cover toy story land!)

Interestingly if every 30 minutes they had a similar parade with 30 green faceless American soldiers coming down the street. I don't think anyone would watch it.

You mean like this??

Attachments

• Green_Army_Men_-_Disney_Stars_and_Motor_Cars_Parade.jpg
    Green_Army_Men_-_Disney_Stars_and_Motor_Cars_Parade.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 31
This cracks me up. You didn't seriously go there did you? Not familiar with Toy Story are you? My goodness do some just take things too seriously.
Though there aren't 30 of them. But you got the rest. Marching, Faceless, etc. Not only do folks watch, they participate.

You mean like this??
Exactly. Probably the most comical thing in this thread is that OP didn't even realize what they said when they said it.

Last edited:

They also scare me. I know that I'm ridiculous, but I avoid them as well. (I'm not saying that the Stormtroopers or Toy Soldiers should not be in the parks because I'm scared.)

The march seems relatively tame compared to some of the scripted appearances — the stage show in front of the Chinese Theater (at leas the one we saw last Summer) and the Rogue One promotion with Spaceship Earth. The First Order/Rogue One stuff (including their scenes in Episode 7) just comes across bizarrely fanatical, more so than the original Empire ever did (which threw in a lot of Roman influence to offset the '30's Germany). We know it's in good fun, we are neither scared nor offended, it just seems odd to us, almost Leni Riufenstahl-esque.

As for the march, no issue there except that it highlights that DHS seems a bizarre hodge-podge right now with no sense of narrative thread to tie it together.

You mean like this??

Once again...missing the point.

(As a generally rule, finding one comment out of 12 that you can have a respond to in some manner is not a real response)

Anyway - obviously know they have the soldiers that's why I mentioned them. But it's not just them alone every half hour with militaristic music blaring... (and ps. Those are at least the good guys, right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter