• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Doing It Deluxe, Indulgence for 14 Nights... With Pics!! **Update: CALIFORNIA GRILL**

Glad you had such a special Thanksgiving!! :goodvibes

As always looking forward to your next review popcorn::

California Grill, Dinner, 09-25-08

Reservation time for 8:15pm
This way we could get seated before wishes started... that was the plan and it worked out quite well.
We arrived pretty much right on time, and were taken directly up to the restaurant where we had about a 15 minute wait, I think we would have been seated right away but we requested a window seat.

DSC06607.jpg

DSC06608.jpg

DSC06590.jpg

DSC06594.jpg

The Bread

I remember that we ate the bread and enjoyed it, but can't remember much about it because we enjoyed the rest of the meal so much ... this just didn't stick out as wow.

DSC06606.jpg

Appetizers or Should I Say SUSHI, SUSHI, SUSHI !!!

DD
Big Bang Roll $19.00
This is what I originally ordered but JoJo and I switched apps, after she took the first bite of her sushi, she found it to be a bit too spicy.... No problem for me, the great thing about sushi is there is lots of pieces for the table to taste test so I still got some of this. She was much happier with this selection and had it gobbled up pretty quick!

DSC06611.jpg

DSC06610.jpg

DW
Double-Crunch Rainbow Roll - Cobia, Salmon, Tuna, Tempura Crunch and Tobikko $19
Definitely the favorite sushi selection of the ones we tried, they were all very good, but this one gets top honors! I will be ordering this the next time! Mary has not had a history of being a big sushi fan, but this dish was gone before we could blink... I am not sure she took a breath, and now she wants sushi all the time!

DSC06612.jpg

DSC06613.jpg

ME
Yellowfin Tuna Three Ways - Poki, Tartare, and Tataki. - $20.00
Again, this was what JoJo ordered but we traded, no problem really for me, because I was considering this one any way and I like virtually all sushi. I enjoyed this one very much, a very good helping of each style and all very good! If you are not a fan of raw fish... do not order this one!

DSC06614.jpg

DSC06615.jpg

DSC06616.jpg

DSC06617.jpg

Entrees

DW & ME
Oak-fired Filet of Beef - Served with Boniato mashed potatoes, sauteed haricot vert, and teriyaki BBQ sauce. - $41.00
Our single most favorite piece of beef on property! JoJo enjoyed her dish very much but was wishing that the rare occasion she chose fish instead of steak that she would have got the steak! Tender and Delicious!!! I could not get enough of the sauce that came with it.

DSC06618.jpg

DSC06619.jpg

DD
Pan-Roasted Grouper Fillet - Served with olive oil crushed potatoes, cipollini onions, and red wine butter sauce. - $33.00
As I already said she liked the steak very much, but she was very happy with this selection as well.

DSC06620.jpg

DSC06621.jpg

DSC06622.jpg

Desserts

DD
Chocolate Temptation (No Sugar Added) - Chocolate Pyramid with chocolate gelato, berry compote, and chocolate hazelnut crunch $10.00
She enjoyed this dessert but did not care for the hazelnut crunch that came with it, I was more than happy to enjoy this part for her!

DSC06648.jpg

DSC06649.jpg

DW
Valrhona Chocolate Cake and Apricots Warm Chocolate Cake with Molten Center, House-made Apricot Ice Cream and Apricot Sauce $10
A very good combination! The Molten center cake ...yum, yum, yum!
DSC06647.jpg

ME
Peachy Keen: Peach Cheesecake, Bellini "Bubble Tea", Spiced Tea Cake with Vanilla Creme Glace $10
This was a really good dessert if you are a fan of peaches and I do like them, just not from a can! The Cheesecake and the the Tea Cake were wonderful, and the Bubble Tea... very unique, it is not what I would call tea and it had round things with a chewy texture floating around in it that were about the size of a blueberry and with the size of the straw they came right up through it. I would order this again without hesitation.

DSC06643.jpg

DSC06644.jpg

DSC06645.jpg

DSC06646.jpg

Beverages
DD Soda $2.19
DW Ice Tea $2.19
ME Harmony Hot Tea $5.95

Beverage $ 10.33
Food $ 218.00
3% Service Charge $ 6.85
Tax
$ 14.85
Total $ 250.03

***(note: here is that 3% service charge again. I guess it is something that is charged by Contemporary Resort restaurants?)

Service
We were disappointed with the service here. Our server was very slow about coming to our table, and brought our dinners to us just as Wishes was beginning, I think we were the only ones who had food brought to them during this time. He was very nice but seemed to be very distracted by something? Our experience with the service was not great but please do not let this be a decision maker for you, because we will be returning and giving service another chance, as we really enjoyed our meal here.

Atmosphere
A nice place. You check in at a desk on one floor then you are taken to the restaurant on an elevator that is dedicated to the California Grill. You are then greeted upon exiting the elevator and given a pager, you can then check out the observation deck while waiting or have a drink in the lounge area (the lounge area is hard to differ from the rest of the restaurant. This was our first time there and we were surprised at how loud it was, we kind of expected it to be a more quiet and elegant setting, but it didn't live up to that. Aside from it being loud, we really enjoyed it. The observation deck was very nice to get a beautiful view of the MK and the surrounding area! We requested a window seat which was wonderful, and the view of Wishes from our seat was tops!!!! The restaurant is set up in one big open floor plan, no separation between the waiting area, the bar area, and there is an open kitchen.... this accounts for the higher sound levels. The restrooms were pleasant and clean. If you are looking to host a group, there are some rooms that are set aside for this purpose, we had a look at them and thought they were very nice. They are totally separate from the main dining area and totally private, there was a wedding reception in one and a business meeting in the other.

Food
I cannot say enough about the food!!! It was delicious!!!! We can't wait to have more!! The sushi was to die for, some of the best I have ever had! The presentation of all the food was absolutely wonderful! Everything was served at the right temperatures for the dishes, and all orders came exactly as requested.... the filet could not have been any better, my single favorite piece of meat on property!!

Overall
A very nice and enjoyable experience! Yes, the service could have been better, but we will look past that since everything else was so great! We are definitely planning a return trip here! I would suggest this for a nice meal, with a view to impress! Not my top choice for romance due to the sound level, but Romance could be easily found here with the great food and atmosphere, especially during Wishes and the observation deck has the beautiful view! A fairly family friendly place, there were several younger children there during our visit. I wouldn't feel comfortable here unless I dressed up just a bit...... formal not required but average theme park attire was 100% absent. Our meal took about 2 hours from arrival to departure, I think that this is the average time for this restaurant, but you could probably get in and out much faster, especially if skipping a course along the way, and not being fussy about where you sit.

Your sushi photos are amazing! I can't wait to try some of those. The Double Crunch Rainbow Roll looks delish!:love:

Great pictures, especially the sushi! We thought CA Grill's sushi was one of the best things about the dinner we had there in October.

Your reviews are terrific! :thumbsup2

Yak n' Yeti, Lunch, 09-17-08

Our server came and immediately began to have what seemed to be an attitude about us being on the dining plan?? He was just as a matter a fact about everything, no smiles and not really very friendly at all, and explaining to us the dining plan like a robot or a telemarketing recording ... telling us as if we were 5 years old. Then our entrees were brought out to us before we were even half finished with our appetizers. To make matters worse he made two attempts to try and take our food before we were finished with it. Our drinks were also not attended to, and you would think as often as he was bothering us, he could bring some liquid with him?? Well this was not cool in our book, on his third attempt to try and take something away we all ignored him, except for the "look" from me. I will stop ranting now... and to end it just tell you that we remained fairly polite with him the rest of the time, but his gratuity definitely reflected his service!!!

We had an awful experience with the service as well and actually were asked to calculate our own bill in order to determine gratuity. The server actually just wanted us to tip a flat amount per person and it was exorbitant! By the end of the meal we left extremely upset by the service.

Shaoxing Steak & Shrimp - Skirt steak, tempura-battered shrimp, jasmine rice, stir-fried veggies, and chili plum dipping sauce. - $24.99
There is just not enough that we can say about this dish... the shrimp were very enjoyable and there were enough of them to make you happy and the steak was fairly tender, and bursting with flavor!! We all 3 highly recommend this entree! I'm not sure how this pic looks to you, but let me tell you that that is a pretty big piece of steak hiding behind all that shrimp and rice!

DSC05663.jpg

I had this dish and I agree it was fabulous! There was so much steak and the flavor was incredible! No matter how bad the service was this was my favorite dish of the trip or at least in the top 3 and I would try to forget the service and try again if only for this dish.

Those chewy things in your tea were boba. The are sweet and chewy tapioca balls -- originates in Taiwan. There are several places that specialize in those teas and you can choose different flavored boba, like Lollicup! They are intersting for sure. Kind of like sucking up a gummy ball....

Loving your reviews. Cant wait until February so we can try some of the places you have reviewed.

Wow. Those sushi pictures looked delish. Now I'm hungry. :rotfl: I can't wait to eat at California Grill in March!

Im glad you all liked my blue tongue picture:lmao: :lmao:
but yes i had to brush my teeth like twice! lol

Yes, i got the grouper at california grill and it was delicious!
but so was my dads steak that i tried:rotfl:
lol
that was one of the few times i got fish too :p

I just wanted to say thank you; your dining plans are incredibly (scarily) similar to mine - and many of these are new for me. So, Thank you thank you thank you.

mmmm my parents and sisters would love that!
Did you happen to spot any vegetarian dishes that sounded good? Im a vegetarian, in a family of BIG meat eaters haha kinda an inconvenience at times!

Thanks for these reviews! Love all the pics and it definitely helps me decide where I want to eat during my trip!

California Grill, Dinner, 09-25-08

DD
Big Bang Roll $19.00
This is what I originally ordered but JoJo and I switched apps, after she took the first bite of her sushi, she found it to be a bit too spicy.... No problem for me, the great thing about sushi is there is lots of pieces for the table to taste test so I still got some of this. She was much happier with this selection and had it gobbled up pretty quick!

DSC06611.jpg

DSC06610.jpg

DW
Double-Crunch Rainbow Roll - Cobia, Salmon, Tuna, Tempura Crunch and Tobikko $19
Definitely the favorite sushi selection of the ones we tried, they were all very good, but this one gets top honors! I will be ordering this the next time! Mary has not had a history of being a big sushi fan, but this dish was gone before we could blink... I am not sure she took a breath, and now she wants sushi all the time!

Your pictures of the Big Bang Roll look like what I was served as the Double-Crunch Rainbow Roll. Yoshi recommended it because I had never had Cobia and she thought I would enjoy the flavor. Did I get the wrong thing for what I ordered? Either way, it was the best sushi I've ever had.

Loved your review. It was a lovely reminder of our dinner last week!

I have loved your reviews!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for taking the time to write them all.

I just found this. love your reviews! we did deluxe dining from sept. 10th-17th. we would be in heaven to do it for 2 weeks!

Narcoossees and Citricos are our two favorite restaurants on disney property, so I was glad to see you enjoyed them as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter