Do "all inclusive" and "budget" even go together?

turning40withMickey

I will never be too old for Disney!
I would like to go on an all inclusive vacation somewhere in the Caribbean.

This site has always helped me save money, so maybe someone out there has some experience with finding an all inclusive that doesn't break the bank??

This will be for next summer, June-August of 2017.

Any helpful advice on where to look, or first hand visitors especially, I would love to hear your tips.

We booked a 5 day 25th anniversary trip to The Punta Cana Princess in the Dominican Republic last December through Travelocity. We found a $100 off a Travelocity package coupon online. I checked all the travel sites (Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Caribbean, Hotwire, etc) daily for about 3 weeks until the price dropped. Our flights, airport transfers, hotel, food and drinks (including alcohol) were all included. $1750 total for two people. The resort was small but nice. Rooms had been recently redone. Food was good. Service was excellent. We thought the price was a bargain and would go again!

Punta Cana Princess is an adults only all inclusive. Right next door are the all inclusive Princess resorts for families - Tropical Princess and Caribe Club Princess. The Bavaro Princess is not too far away.

Thanks!
I was wondering if it was easy to book off one of those sites, sounds like you had no issues.

Punta Cana is one of the places I would be very interested in visiting.

My family of 3 went to Punta Cana in June for 10 nights. The hotel was $2400 and then we flew Southwest. I booked the hotel directly from the hotel's site and got free transfers. It was cheaper for us to book separately since we have the companion pass and plenty of SW points.

Just remember the old "get what you pay for". The budget AI's are more likely to have buffet breakfast lunch and dinner (with a few a la cartes based on number of stays) Drinks will not be top shelf. May or may not provide room service, etc... This is not to say there are bad, but you can't compare them to the higher end ones.

I would look in the Riviera Maya area of Mexico.

check site like www.allinclusiveoutlet.com and www.cheapcaribbean.com and see what resorts pop up in your price range. That will narrow your list down considerably and allow you to research particular resorts on tripadvisor.

summer is not really a cheaper time to go because of school vacations. The real deals are more likely Sept to early Dec.

I used Expedia and it was pretty easy. Not sure about budget, as I wasn't a mom then, so I had a ton of disposable income. LOL! It was very nice, RIU in Punta Cana. I travel in summer mostly, since I'm a teacher and have no choice, but I went in May. Also, I see a few on Groupon. They have a ton of them often.

Just remember the old "get what you pay for". The budget AI's are more likely to have buffet breakfast lunch and dinner (with a few a la cartes based on number of stays) Drinks will not be top shelf. May or may not provide room service, etc... This is not to say there are bad, but you can't compare them to the higher end ones.

I would look in the Riviera Maya area of Mexico.

check site like www.allinclusiveoutlet.com and www.cheapcaribbean.com and see what resorts pop up in your price range. That will narrow your list down considerably and allow you to research particular resorts on tripadvisor.

summer is not really a cheaper time to go because of school vacations. The real deals are more likely Sept to early Dec.

Summer is our only option.
Top shelf doesn't really factor into my requirement, but it is good to know for comparision.
Thanks for the reminder of "you get what you pay for", I tend to look at the rock bottom prices and anticipate it is top of the line.
We have avoided Mexico in the past because we travel with children (safety, health concerns) but everyone is older now so it may be back in the running as a destination.

I used Expedia and it was pretty easy. Not sure about budget, as I wasn't a mom then, so I had a ton of disposable income. LOL! It was very nice, RIU in Punta Cana. I travel in summer mostly, since I'm a teacher and have no choice, but I went in May. Also, I see a few on Groupon. They have a ton of them often.

I love Groupon, never even thought about it as an option.
I am also a teacher so only summer for us, and Disney in summer is HOT!

Summer is our only option.
Top shelf doesn't really factor into my requirement, but it is good to know for comparision.
Thanks for the reminder of "you get what you pay for", I tend to look at the rock bottom prices and anticipate it is top of the line.
We have avoided Mexico in the past because we travel with children (safety, health concerns) but everyone is older now so it may be back in the running as a destination.
The Princess resorts in Punta Cana did have buffet breakfast (with mimosas!) and lunch, but at dinner you have a choice of several different sit down restaurants or the buffet which had a different theme each night. We thought is was a great value for the money. Punta Cana Princess has a very loyal fan base of repeat customers who LOVE the place. That's why we chose it. Read reviews of all the places that fit your budget and then make your decision.

I stayed at the the Lifestyles Tropical Resort in Puerto Plata, DR in February. It was $900 pp for 5 days, although that was even higher than usual because it was Presidents Day week. Only negative was that technically it was a time share resort and some bars/restaurants were reserved for timeshare holders only. But the food was great, and the main pool and the beach were absolutely gorgeous. The water is the Atlantic, so good waves and not that crystal clear water and pink sands. But it's warm and still beautiful. Staff was amazingly friendly, especially at the swim up bar. Booze was obviously not top shelf, but hey, it was free--although we ALWAYS tipped a dollar or two per drink! We loved some of the random activities like the exercise classes (water aerobics and abs classes were favorites!) and karaoke. Not top of the line or luxurious by any stretch, but the rooms were huge and clean and totally serviceable for a 4 night trip!

Sometimes you get more than you pay for at the all inclusives. I worked an event at one earlier this year, and they had a Noro outbreak. All of our speakers/hosts/special guests that were flown in early got sick and in some cases events were delayed because of it. We ended up having to buy food elsewhere and have it brought to the hotel. I know people who have gone to resorts in Mexico and just go to the beach and had drinks at the hotel and not complained about getting sick. But depending on where you go in the Caribbean, are you going to want to leave the hotel? Sometimes room only is significantly cheaper, and if you're thinking you might like to go out to dinner or go on day long excursions, then you're double paying for food. Plus, if you typically eat a light breakfast or lunch, it may end up being the same price to go out of pocket for food.

Last summer was our first AI experience in Mexico. We booked a Secrets (higher end) but got a pre-opening special. It was fabulous and this summer we are doing a quick 3 night getaway to the Hyatt Zilara. I recommended checking multiple sites and Costco as well. Many places have better deal online. For example Melia resorts offer a greater discount if you join their rewards program (which is free) but you have to do that on their site. Check around and do your research. August will be more cost effective as the Hurricane season hits and many prices drop.

Sometimes you get more than you pay for at the all inclusives. I worked an event at one earlier this year, and they had a Noro outbreak. All of our speakers/hosts/special guests that were flown in early got sick and in some cases events were delayed because of it. We ended up having to buy food elsewhere and have it brought to the hotel. I know people who have gone to resorts in Mexico and just go to the beach and had drinks at the hotel and not complained about getting sick. But depending on where you go in the Caribbean, are you going to want to leave the hotel? Sometimes room only is significantly cheaper, and if you're thinking you might like to go out to dinner or go on day long excursions, then you're double paying for food. Plus, if you typically eat a light breakfast or lunch, it may end up being the same price to go out of pocket for food.

Sorry you experienced a Noro outbreak! It can happen anywhere.
I like the all inclusive aspect especially when travelling with my kids (youngest will be 17). They like to eat!
We will most likely NOT leave the resort area/hotel.

I stayed at the the Lifestyles Tropical Resort in Puerto Plata, DR in February. It was $900 pp for 5 days, although that was even higher than usual because it was Presidents Day week. Only negative was that technically it was a time share resort and some bars/restaurants were reserved for timeshare holders only. But the food was great, and the main pool and the beach were absolutely gorgeous. The water is the Atlantic, so good waves and not that crystal clear water and pink sands. But it's warm and still beautiful. Staff was amazingly friendly, especially at the swim up bar. Booze was obviously not top shelf, but hey, it was free--although we ALWAYS tipped a dollar or two per drink! We loved some of the random activities like the exercise classes (water aerobics and abs classes were favorites!) and karaoke. Not top of the line or luxurious by any stretch, but the rooms were huge and clean and totally serviceable for a 4 night trip!

I am looking for activities to be included. We are not a "sit at the beach all day" family. WE like to do things and be entertained. I love a cruise for that reason, so much to do all day long. I can't get one family member on a boat though, so the all inclusive is the next best option. Did they have shows in the evening?

I am looking for activities to be included. We are not a "sit at the beach all day" family. WE like to do things and be entertained. I love a cruise for that reason, so much to do all day long. I can't get one family member on a boat though, so the all inclusive is the next best option. Did they have shows in the evening?
I burn waaaaaay too easily to sit on the beach all day, so I get you there :) Yes, there are different shows every night! And on Sundays there is an amazing welcome party with great food, performers and a dance party. Everything is very family-friendly.

We stayed at a Palace resort in Cancun and they offer a credit for free excursions. We got to go zip lining and to the ruins with the credit. You could probably do more than that as well. Plus, you can visit all their resorts.

I've personally only stayed at 1 all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean which was Sandals in St. Lucia. Sandals is not exactly budget friendly depending on where you're staying at (meaning both the actual resort and room choice and the location in the Caribbean) but they do offer the most all-inclusive features in the Caribbean. The only thing we paid for extra was an excursion (and if you have a butler you are able to tip them otherwise tipping is not allowed-not sure about the tipping policy at Beaches and the Grand Pineapple though).

Sandals is for couples only aged 21 and up but Beaches (which is a subsidary of Sandals) is for the whole family.....just don't expect the prices to really be any less than actual Sandals.

Sandals does also offer it seems at least a less expensive family resort which is called Grand Pineapple which is in Negril Jamaica. It however doesn't have as much included (such as transportation to and from the airport which is an added cost).

I would also check Groupon BUT be very careful you do outside research on the resort........some resorts they showcase for deals on Groupon can be sketchy.

Also, not saying that you are actually worried about it, but you might brush up on your knowledge on any known issue with a particular destination meaning zika virus (as that is quite an issue right now in the Caribbean otherwise I wouldn't even mention it) or any other issues. I believe the CDC website has information on countries where they have concerns for things. I'm not trying to bring this up to create any sort of debbie downer situation so please don't take it that way.

Since its DH and I now we pretty much just stay at Sandals, but when our children were traveling with us we really liked the Iberostar resorts. Food and service were great and there was plenty for the whole family to enjoy.

We went to St Lucia and stayed at Coconut bay. My SIL actually got married there. We were shocked at how great of an experience it was. The reviews are very hit and miss, but it was about half the cost of other locations on the island and about a 5 minute drive from the airport so from the time you land you have a drink in your hand and can relax within an hour. All the food and drinks were all you can eat. They had free activities including a walk to a local town, a good selection of tours you could pay for, and there is a family side with a kid's club plus an adults only side so you get to pick what sort of atmosphere you have.
It's on the windy side of the island which some people didn't like but I thought it was a huge bonus because even though it was hot there was a great breeze and this was lat June/early July.

Thank you all for your advice and resort names. I do appreciate all the tips and I consider the planning to be a great part of the fun of any vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter