DLP denied boy Princess of a day

That the CM made their own call. And it's my opinion that that makes that particular CM look like quite a backwards person, as they decided to not allow the boys. (This is assuming that it IS Disney's policy to allow boys and girls.) They will likely be fired as this is a bad look.

Maybe there was nothing sinister in the CM's response. Maybe (s)he assumed that an event called "Princess for a day," is for females only as in the dictionary, princess is still a female term. Until only a few months ago, the Boy Scouts were all male. Girl Scouts were that way too for a long time, allowing only girls. Maybe this CM just innocently thought only girls could sign up and didn't bother to ask anyone if boys could do it too. :confused3

Last edited:
Maybe there was nothing sinister in the CM's response. Maybe (s)he assumed that an event called "Princess for a day," is for females only as in the dictionary, princess is still a female term. Until only a few months ago, the Boy Scouts were all male. Girl Scouts were that way too for a long time, allowing only girls. Maybe this CM just innocently thought only girls could sign up and didn't bother to ask anyone if boys could do it too. :confused3
Oh of course, I'm sure it wasn't meant to be malicious. However, I still think it reads as a reflection of some antiquated values. Obviously we can't say exactly what they were thinking or if they were aware of the policy or not.

You are right, it may show nothing more than a lack of training. And I hope that training need will now be addressed

You are right, it may show nothing more than a lack of training. And I hope that training need will now be addressed

I'm thinking it was more the name of the event. Perhaps, had the event been called "Be Elsa for a Day," the CM might not have thought anything of it. (Hopefully.) And now maybe DLP will change the name to be more gender neutral. :)

I was watching an interview recently with Chris Helmsworth promoting his movie, Thor. It was right around Halloween. He said he had asked his son who he wants to be for Halloween. Everyone thought his son would say Thor. Nope, they had recently watched, Wonder Woman. And his son said he wanted to be Wonder Woman. Thankfully, Chris had no problem with that. :thumbsup2 Likewise, any kid should be who they want to be for Halloween and get to participate - a gender-less day.

Last edited:
I get why in today's world this is a story, but not to long ago what the CM did would be considered common sense, wonder what is common sense today that in 20 years will be totally unacceptable. Not trying to make a point for either side, just a thought

This is what I think happened too. By reading the article it seems like the exchange happened through email and it doesn’t read like she pursued it any further than that. IMO, if you want to get all up in arms over something and “seek justice” you need to first ask WHY. I’m just not seeing where she did that.

At least Disney was responsive and said that it was an individual CM's decision and gender based exclusion was not a policy they endorsed.

The story is a few months old, I wonder if there have been any further issues.

Gender standards in fashion are so strange to me....

I get why in today's world this is a story, but not to long ago what the CM did would be considered common sense, wonder what is common sense today that in 20 years will be totally unacceptable. Not trying to make a point for either side, just a thought
Don't we all want our son's to aspire to be Woman Of the Year...just like Bruce Jenner!....

This is what I think happened too. By reading the article it seems like the exchange happened through email and it doesn’t read like she pursued it any further than that. IMO, if you want to get all up in arms over something and “seek justice” you need to first ask WHY. I’m just not seeing where she did that.

I think so too. She obviously doesn't know Disney is very pro-LGBT the way we all do on this thread and know it was the CM's fault, no matter what s/he was thinking. But, the blogger didn't know and immediately took offense and thought she'd stir up trouble, outing them for gender inequality. :stir:

Society at large disagrees with you. If I met my friends at a sports bar wearing a skirt, I would be ripped to shreds.

Well I would think if it was in your nature to do so you would have different friends. I agree that clothes are inherently gendered, I also see no harm if a boy wants to wear a dress or skirt, A boy dressing up as Elsa is no different than a girl dressing up as Spiderman, really who cares?

DD's best friend is a boy whose favorite colour is pink, he has worn dresses since he was 2, he is now 8. He likes to paint his nails, and on his trip to Disneyland he wore an array of Princess dresses. His dad did draw a line at BBB although his mom would have allowed it.
He has slowly started to comply to some gender norms in public because of bullying but at his house and playdates with his friends he will wear what he wants. If someone makes fun of him at school (because he has a "girls" backpack or his nails are painted there is a good group that will tell them off. Most kids at school are used to it, and know they wont score any popularity points for making fun of him.
However he still has a "boys' haircut, he has never to my knowledge said anything about not being comfortable with his gender-but it doesnt really matter either anyway. He should be able to wear whatever makes him happy and it has no effect on anyone else

I am a Disneyland Paris regular so quite familiar with princess for a day. A lot of what is offered simply cannot be done on a boy- the big part of the experience is having your hair styled to look like a given princess, which obviously boys with short hair cannot do. Perhaps the CM misunderstood (it happens- there’s a language barrier)- I agree boys should have access but they would miss out on a huge part of the experience. Boys are still completely welcome to dress up as princesses at DLP- it happens a lot. I don’t think what was said was ill-intentioned.

Yup, the CM just flipped open the dictionary that the CM is carrying at all times, and made the call... Nope, it was a gender-biased decision that had no place at DLP.

It's not common sense - it's societal norms. We've had some really horrible societal norms. They've never come from common sense.

Don't we all want our son's to aspire to be Woman Of the Year...just like Bruce Jenner!....

son's what? Or did you mean sons? And why would it not be something to aspire to - being brave enough to do what Jenner did?

Society at large disagrees with you. If I met my friends at a sports bar wearing a skirt, I would be ripped to shreds.

You have sucky friends then. Find some better ones who would accept you as you are, not as who they think you should be.

I am a Disneyland Paris regular so quite familiar with princess for a day. A lot of what is offered simply cannot be done on a boy- the big part of the experience is having your hair styled to look like a given princess, which obviously boys with short hair cannot do. Perhaps the CM misunderstood (it happens- there’s a language barrier)- I agree boys should have access but they would miss out on a huge part of the experience. Boys are still completely welcome to dress up as princesses at DLP- it happens a lot. I don’t think what was said was ill-intentioned.

And what about girls with short hair? Or kids undergoing chemo who have lost their hair, or have alopecia? Use some imagination, some glitter and stuff, and include people without long hair, for goodness sake.

And what about girls with short hair? Or kids undergoing chemo who have lost their hair, or have alopecia? Use some imagination, some glitter and stuff, and include people without long hair, for goodness sake.
I completely agree, but France is very different to the USA and are generally less open to things like this. I’ve had problems before with CMs in DLP (and in wider France) being very inflexible. The CM probably thought that no, the boy couldn’t have the majority of the experience, so it wasn’t appropriate. I don’t think it’s anything sinister.

I completely agree, but France is very different to the USA and are generally less open to things like this. I’ve had problems before with CMs in DLP (and in wider France) being very inflexible. The CM probably thought that no, the boy couldn’t have the majority of the experience, so it wasn’t appropriate. I don’t think it’s anything sinister.
Or maybe the CM thought the child couldn't have the majority of the experience and his parent would then demand a refund.

Yup, the CM just flipped open the dictionary that the CM is carrying at all times, and made the call... Nope, it was a gender-biased decision that had no place at DLP.

The CM probably used the dictionary already in his/her head.

AS IN:
Did you have to flip open a dictionary that you carry with you at all times to word police another poster? Or did you use the one in your head? :rolleyes:
son's what? Or did you mean sons?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter