DLP denied boy Princess of a day

mummabear

DIS Veteran
http://www.itv.com/news/2017-08-30/...ncess-for-a-day-experience-because-hes-a-boy/

A three-year-old boy was told he couldn't take part in a 'princess for a day' experience at Disneyland Paris - because he's not a girl.

Noah was "buzzing with excitement" when he learned the theme park offered the opportunity to dress up as princesses, including his favourite character Elsa from Frozen.

But the excitement was short-lived when the park told his mum boys could not join in.

Noah's mother Hayley McLean-Glass, said she was devastated when she tried to make a booking only to receive an email saying "at this time it is not possible to book princess for a day for a boy".

Disgusting.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-08-30/...ncess-for-a-day-experience-because-hes-a-boy/

A three-year-old boy was told he couldn't take part in a 'princess for a day' experience at Disneyland Paris - because he's not a girl.

Noah was "buzzing with excitement" when he learned the theme park offered the opportunity to dress up as princesses, including his favourite character Elsa from Frozen.

But the excitement was short-lived when the park told his mum boys could not join in.

Noah's mother Hayley McLean-Glass, said she was devastated when she tried to make a booking only to receive an email saying "at this time it is not possible to book princess for a day for a boy".

Disgusting.
At the end of the article there’s a statement from Disney saying it’s an isolated incident and that the CM’s response does not reflect policy, it won’t happen again and both boys and girls are welcome to participate.

Sounds like mom blogged rather than go up the chain.

At the end of the article there’s a statement from Disney saying it’s an isolated incident and that the CM’s response does not reflect policy, it won’t happen again and both boys and girls are welcome to participate.

Was just coming back to post that.

Yep, sounds like one backwards CM (why would they advise guests that boys aren't allowed even though that's not the policy? hmm) that's probably getting fired

I can understand the mother being upset but the way to look for a resolution is to go to the source first. But if she had done that she wouldn’t have made the news.
Probably why she did it. She was hoping to make money from it.

Yep, sounds like one backwards CM (why would they advise guests that boys aren't allowed even though that's not the policy? hmm) that's probably getting fired
Not sure what you mean in the parentheses? Are you saying Disney directed it and is now blaming the CM? Or are you saying a CM made their own call?

If the CM made the decision, (and it's not policy), yes, I hope that CM is fired.

That the CM made their own call. And it's my opinion that that makes that particular CM look like quite a backwards person, as they decided to not allow the boys. (This is assuming that it IS Disney's policy to allow boys and girls.) They will likely be fired as this is a bad look.
Gotcha. Disney embraces the LGBT community pretty strongly. I can’t imagine they would have a policy against boys getting a princess treatment.

Not if you read the full article, it’s not.

What I mean is, this topic could very quickly become heated. In my old school, progressive Headmaster Richard Cairns has allowed male students to dress in skirts and girls to dress as boys, depending on how they feel. The pupils are 13-18yo. Some people see it one way. Some the other. It's hotly contested. Me? I don't know where I stand. It seems a bit young and uncertain to me, but then again I would never deny someone the right to express how they feel inside.

Hot potato.

What I mean is, this topic could very quickly become heated. In my old school, progressive Headmaster Richard Cairns has allowed male students to dress in skirts and girls to dress as boys, depending on how they feel. The pupils are 13-18yo. Some people see it one way. Some the other. It's hotly contested. Me? I don't know where I stand. It seems a bit young and uncertain to me, but then again I would never deny someone the right to express how they feel inside.

Hot potato.
A little boy wanting to play dress up as a princess isn’t always a gender identity thing. Maybe he just wanted to pretend like the mother said.

I can understand the mother being upset but the way to look for a resolution is to go to the source first. But if she had done that she wouldn’t have made the news.
And if it didn't make the news, Disney would not have addressed the issue. Good for Mom for seeing to it that the same kind of treatment won't happen to other children. You know that Disney would react to a news story way faster than if some random Mom had written a letter.

And if it didn't make the news, Disney would not have addressed the issue. Good for Mom for seeing to it that the same kind of treatment won't happen to other children. You know that Disney would react to a news story way faster than if some random Mom had written a letter.
If she had gone to Disney I feel confident they would have. Nowhere in that article does it say she went up the chain or even asked for a supervisor. As far as I can tell she took the CM’s word for it. When I have an issue with a company I work my way up the chain of command. I give them the opportunity to make it right. Employees make mistakes and interpret things their own way. My guess is they had never done a princess makeover for a boy and the CM assumed they didn’t do it. I don’t think this was an excluding boys thing. More of a CM didn’t know what to do thing.

Hot potato.

Interesting that you say "males dress in skirts" but "girls dress as boys." Girls are not dressing as boys, they are dressing as girls no matter what they wear. Even if they wear pants or ties, they are still dressing as girls. Pieces of fabric are not inherently gendered.

Interesting that you say "males dress in skirts" but "girls dress as boys." Girls are not dressing as boys, they are dressing as girls no matter what they wear. Even if they wear pants or ties, they are still dressing as girls. Pieces of fabric are not inherently gendered.

Perhaps I should clarify. 13-16yo boys and girls had uniforms - blouse and skirt for girls, suit for boys, tie etc. Even in 6th form there was an essence of conformity. The ability to dress as the other gender traditionally dressed was a big thing.

[ETA] It's a crummy picture, but you get the idea...

ImageGen.ashx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter