Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Hoping someone could give me some suggestions. I will be at Riverside next month for 4 nights. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to book a preferred room - have a standard. I would like to be as close to the lobby as possible, as on our departure day, we are being picked up at 3:20am for an early flight. A little uneasy about walking the grounds at that time (just me and my daughter). Looking for suggestions for the closest, non-preferred, rooms to request.

Thank you!
POR is very safe. Rest assured.

I was just checking prices on-line last night and I swear I saw something about the pool being under maintenance until the end of March. I don't see it today. We've been over spring break when it's COLD and when we could have gotten in a couple of days. Was I dreaming??

Edit - At POR

I was just checking prices on-line last night and I swear I saw something about the pool being under maintenance until the end of March. I don't see it today. We've been over spring break when it's COLD and when we could have gotten in a couple of days. Was I dreaming??

Edit - At POR

The pool is closed at it's sister resort POFQ. Because these resorts share amenities, there may be more people from POFQ in the pool at POR.

Enjoy your trip!!

Regarding pools. Speaking of summer months, is it still accurate that the main pool is open until 11pm and the quiet pools open 24 hours? We just booked the FD offer for this summer ('24) and we like to have a quick dip sometimes after getting back from the parks.

Regarding pools. Speaking of summer months, is it still accurate that the main pool is open until 11pm and the quiet pools open 24 hours? We just booked the FD offer for this summer ('24) and we like to have a quick dip sometimes after getting back from the parks.

Yes, the main pool is closed and locked when the life guards go off duty (8pm up to 10pm-11pm in peak summer). The quiet pools are not monitored or locked though, so you can effectively swim whenever you want within reason as long as you don't create a nuisance.

Andre

Hoping someone could give me some suggestions. I will be at Riverside next month for 4 nights. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to book a preferred room - have a standard. I would like to be as close to the lobby as possible, as on our departure day, we are being picked up at 3:20am for an early flight. A little uneasy about walking the grounds at that time (just me and my daughter). Looking for suggestions for the closest, non-preferred, rooms to request.

Thank you!
Your best bet is to make a single request as "close to lobby". You'll have a much better chance of getting that request met than if you request a specific room number or building.

Yes, the main pool is closed and locked when the life guards go off duty (8pm up to 10pm-11pm in peak summer). The quiet pools are not monitored or locked though, so you can effectively swim whenever you want within reason as long as you don't create a nuisance.

Andre
Thank you. We've stayed deluxe (Boardwalk and Poly) the last couple of trips and have been happy to have at least one pool open late as long as you are not a nuisance. Glad the same is still that way at POR.

However, if I recall correctly, back in 2018 we stayed at Pop Century and all of the pools had been fully gated and closed pretty early which was a bummer. This was different than our stays at POP in 2010 and 2011 when we could use the pools all night if we wanted. The life guards, when their evening shift was over, just announced that we were swimming at our own risk. (this was the computer pool at the time).

Last august, we often went swimming right before the advertised closing time of our quiet pool. (The one between building 80 and 85) We had to get out many times, as workers came to do some maintenance.

Hopefully someone can answer a question: how likely is it that we will encounter the horses from the carriage rides at POR? I am asking because my older adult daughter is severely allergic to horses. We stayed at POR many years ago, before the carriage rides, and are considering it now because of 5th sleeper. Something I read on another post indicated more than one carriage giving rides all evening. My gut is telling me to not book here. We often stay at CSR, but we’re looking for something different.

Hopefully someone can answer a question: how likely is it that we will encounter the horses from the carriage rides at POR? I am asking because my older adult daughter is severely allergic to horses. We stayed at POR many years ago, before the carriage rides, and are considering it now because of 5th sleeper. Something I read on another post indicated more than one carriage giving rides all evening. My gut is telling me to not book here. We often stay at CSR, but we’re looking for something different.
We stayed 3 nights in Nov. 2023 at Riverside in the Alligator Bayou section. I'm not sure we ever saw the carriage rides during our stay.

Hope this helps!

We always stay in magnolia bend and we see them all the time. We have to stand on the side of the path to let them pass us. We see them near the food court/ lobby. We stay at riverside at least 4 weeks/ year and if my kid was allergic to horses I would not risk it.

Hopefully someone can answer a question: how likely is it that we will encounter the horses from the carriage rides at POR?

You will most likely see them, but it's very easy to avoid any kind of close contact. Just to be extra safe, you might prefer to use the indoor corridor from the lobby to the food court area between 5pm-10pm, as the horses wait in the outdoor marina levee area and the corridor completely bypasses that section.

Andre

The horses mostly travel in the manors area and the areas along the river. You won't encounter them in Alligator Bayou. :)

The horses mostly travel in the manors area and the areas along the river. You won't encounter them in Alligator Bayou. :)
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I think we will have to pick another resort. Sounds like in the evening we would have to be very careful where we went.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I think we will have to pick another resort. Sounds like in the evening we would have to be very careful where we went.
You can book a 5th Sleeper at Caribbean Beach! And you'd have the Skyliner. :)

Really, there is nothing to worry about. There is nowhere that will force you into close proximity with horses - in fact, Disney don't allow it anyway. And even if one does come along the main (wide) path while you are walking along, you can easily move aside (you'll hear it coming from quite a distance away). They follow one of two very specific main routes, so easy to avoid.

Andre

In the preferred rooms is there no dresser? I can only see three drawers that are below the 5th sleeper. I am an unpacker once I hit the room no matter how long I stay, can’t stand to live out of a suitcase.

In the preferred rooms is there no dresser? I can only see three drawers that are below the 5th sleeper. I am an unpacker once I hit the room no matter how long I stay, can’t stand to live out of a suitcase.
There are three drawers at the bottom of the Murphy bed. They are impossible to reach if the bed is dropped down. But they are available if you don't plan on using the bed.

I don't really like the setup in the AB rooms.

Do all of the Preferred rooms have 5th sleepers? I called today to upgrade my standard 5th sleeper to Preferred (I have a bounceback, so I had to call). When I asked the CM, he said the Preferred rooms don't have 5th sleepers, but there are 5th sleeper rooms in the Preferred buildings, so he put in a request for those 4 building numbers in my reservation. Was he misinformed? There are 5 of us, but our youngest is 2, so we can technically book whatever we want.
Really want the 5th sleeper, and I'll call back to book Preferred if they do in fact all have them.

Do all of the Preferred rooms have 5th sleepers?

Yes they do, and yes the CM was misinformed. In fact all Alligator Bayou rooms have the extra fold-down bed - even King Bed rooms. The sole exception is the specially modified Wheelchair Accessible rooms, which feature an armoire wardrobe instead of a hanging rail (due to the modified bathrooms) so there is not enough space for a fold-down bed.

You normally won't get a Preferred Location building (i.e. 14, 15, 18 or 27) unless that is the specific category that you have booked - "Preferred Location" being a paid extra, not a requestable option.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter