• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World Buries Its Controversial $149 After Hours Experiment

Also an extra 4 hours and 15 minutes at MK compared to US/IOA.

7:45 AM to midnight at MK, or US/IOA is 9AM to 7PM IOA and 9PM US the first 2 tuesdays, 9AM to 7PM and 10PM the 3rd and 4th tuesday.
But we just go play mini-golf or pool hop. We would definitely have to add the price of the mini-golf though. And the parking of course. The pool hopping is a bonus.

What worries me is that since THAT failed, they'll have to recoup the money they were trying to make ( to pay for Shanghai ) some other way and it may just be another ticket price or other services price increase. At least this way, they would have been getting money from the folks willing to pay for it. Kind of an all around loss in a weird way.

What worries me is that since THAT failed, they'll have to recoup the money they were trying to make ( to pay for Shanghai ) some other way and it may just be another ticket price or other services price increase. At least this way, they would have been getting money from the folks willing to pay for it. Kind of an all around loss in a weird way.

A very valid concern...

Well here's where I disagree, having done it I think doing both those parks in one day is a mistake and the train ride while cute is not worth the upcharge. Far better to do two days.
I'm not sure why the assumption is someone is getting the park-to-park ONLY to ride the train...the working train was only added in July 2014 so it hasn't even been opened a full 2 years. I love getting park hoppers at WDW and Park-to-Park at USO. I typically do 3 days at USO but I still do park-to-park. We usually go back and forth depending on wait times for the rides/attractions we want as well as when one park closes we'll head on over to the other (parks will close around the 6 and 7pm range in September). For us a huge part is just the flexibility to go back and forth and is about the only "upcharge" we will really pay.

Some people def. look at the train as the only reason to do park-to-park and I would argue that those people are exactly the ones USO wants when it comes to making a profit. ETA: I guess my point is USO didn't put the train in and say "you must pay extra for this experience" as park-to-park already existed well before this experience. It would however, be different, if USO put it in and said "it will be $X to be able to ride this" similar to how amusement parks put in things like rip-cords and stuff like that where it costs extra to ride it.

Anyone else remember ten years ago, Magic Kingdom offered a Evening Extra Hours event "E-Event" usually offered on Friday nights April - early June? This event cost apron $30-40 dollars, and was open only to Disney Resort guests.
Why can't Disney Parks offer a reasonable $40-$60?

I'm not sure why the assumption is someone is getting the park-to-park ONLY to ride the train...the working train was only added in July 2014 so it hasn't even been opened a full 2 years. I love getting park hoppers at WDW and Park-to-Park at USO. I typically do 3 days at USO but I still do park-to-park. We usually go back and forth depending on wait times for the rides/attractions we want as well as when one park closes we'll head on over to the other (parks will close around the 6 and 7pm range in September). For us a huge part is just the flexibility to go back and forth and is about the only "upcharge" we will really pay.

I'm assuming that because many people do. The only way to ride the train is to have a park to park ticket. Harry Potter is a major draw for Universal right now. Making that ride require a Park to Park ticket pushes many people into getting a ticket they wouldn't otherwise have purchased.

You're a regular visitor, I can see Park to park working for you even on a single day. For the majority of people who visit only occasionally or once, doing park to park on a single day ticket is a really bad deal because you lose loads of time in the moving back and forth and you can't see everything in both parks in one day.

I'm assuming that because many people do. The only way to ride the train is to have a park to park ticket. Harry Potter is a major draw for Universal right now. Making that ride require a Park to Park ticket pushes many people into getting a ticket they wouldn't otherwise have purchased.

You're a regular visitor, I can see Park to park working for you even on a single day. For the majority of people who visit only occasionally or once, doing park to park on a single day ticket is a really bad deal because you lose loads of time in the moving back and forth and you can't see everything in both parks in one day.
I guess we're assuming about two different things here and have differing opinions. However, I did say if a person bought a park to park for the sole purpose of the train it would be exactly the type of person USO wants. Similar to how a park hopper at WDW is/was (haven't checked since the tiering occurred) $50 "upcharge" for a 1-day ticket. Someone who buys the park hopper so they can go to another park for the sole purpose of going on just one ride is going to be exactly who Disney wants.

Good point! The thing is, as long as we pay these ridiculous, ever increasing prices, Disney has no incentive to stop hiking up pricing.

Ah, another angry opinion piece from someone who couldn't afford to attend. It's funny. The whole thing is speculative. Disney never revealed the capacity for this event, so no outsider (like the author) will never really know if this worked for Disney or not. We don't know why Disney created it (was it to explore what the market would bear, how to price MNSSHP, MVMCP, dip into the Orlando convention crowd?) No one really knows. What we do know from these boards is that the vast majority of those who went really enjoyed it and many people simply got angry because they couldn't afford to go. BTW, article author, ESPN is what is mostly influencing DIS stock price right now, not the parks.
Ah, another angry opinion piece from someone who can't form a logical response so instead paints the poster as being too poor to buy a ticket. You should really pat yourself on the back for that well considered and thoughtful post. I have printed your response and am using it to show my kids an example of arrogance.

They have extended the early morning event but not a boo about DAH.

I think it's pretty obvious which was a success and which was a flop.

Ah, another angry opinion piece from someone who can't form a logical response so instead paints the poster as being too poor to buy a ticket. You should really pat yourself on the back for that well considered and thoughtful post. I have printed your response and am using it to show my kids an example of arrogance.

Just another in the long line of pixie pounding, bucket brigade who doesn't have the foggiest clue that accepting every increase or ridiculous fee without question eliminates all their say as a consumer and sets everyone up for failure...including Disney.

Pay no mind ;)

They have extended the early morning event but not a boo about DAH.

I think it's pretty obvious which was a success and which was a flop.

I think I said it before: George Washington was 3-8-1 in battles...

But you have to at least give the big souless company a bloody nose or two occasionally to stay in the fight...or you lose.

But you have to at least give the big souless company a bloody nose or two occasionally to stay in the fight...or you lose.

A bloody nose is a good analogy.

I get the impression of a punch-drunk fighter desperately flailing out windmill punches at what they unwisely view as their "opponent" ... their customers' wallets and credit limits.

To say Walt wouldn't do it that way is true, but perhaps it's more helpful to say that the fifties didn't do things that way. It was a time when sensible, sound, long-term relationships with shareholders and customers was not just the best way, but the only way to succeed.

Walt was the man of his time ... Iger also.

A bloody nose is a good analogy.

I get the impression of a punch-drunk fighter desperately flailing out windmill punches at what they unwisely view as their "opponent" ... their customers' wallets and credit limits.

To say Walt wouldn't do it that way is true, but perhaps it's more helpful to say that the fifties didn't do things that way. It was a time when sensible, sound, long-term relationships with shareholders and customers was not just the best way, but the only way to succeed.

Walt was the man of his time ... Iger also.

Well it was a time where "enough was enough"...nobody gambled on their houses...and people didn't look for instant retail gratification at Walmart... Every single day...

Disney parks are built on a middle class model. If big shot and his biz casual henchman continue to doubt that...there will be a smoldering hulk left not too long after they shuffle off
To Maui with willow permenantly.

I like the idea of getting into MK early especially during sweltering summer months but the cost was out of reach and for us the meal was something we wouldn't be interested in. If they offered two different packages with or without food and at a decent prices I'm sure it will have been well received.

I did not realize the morning event was extended. I'm speculating it may continue further then. I am worried now. We are going late November. If the current pattern continues, then it would overlap one of my early BOG ADR's for MK. The only reason I got the ADR was for the near empty park and pictures of the castle. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Early Morning Magic and the ADR's. I feel like I would be better served paying for the Early Morning Magic rather than an ADR for the pictures, food and early ride access.

I went to the DAH event -- for free thanks to DVC concierge -- and it was absolutely awesome. But it was too expensive, and too late. I think if you have the event from 7 to midnight in the winter, and make the price under $100, you have an event people would attend.

I did not realize the morning event was extended. I'm speculating it may continue further then. I am worried now. We are going late November. If the current pattern continues, then it would overlap one of my early BOG ADR's for MK. The only reason I got the ADR was for the near empty park and pictures of the castle. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Early Morning Magic and the ADR's. I feel like I would be better served paying for the Early Morning Magic rather than an ADR for the pictures, food and early ride access.

Probably. I would tend to start with the most fundamental question of do you want to eat at BOG for breakfast? The other parts are just window dressing. If you just want access to rides and really don't want to even eat at BOG, it sounds like EMM would be better. If you want to eat at BOG, but are worried about the impact of EMM, I would keep your reservation. I believe the only reported impact is you may not get multiple free rides on 7DMT prior to rope drop crowd arrives. In general, it is not enough people to make much of a difference, and most of that crowd is on there way to other locations or eating breakfast by 9:00.

I am actually thinking about this splurge as well. The only reason I believe they would hold off would be due to shorter days and/or more EMH use to balance out party hours. Neither of these sound probable so I am guessing it will be extended through the end of the year sometime in August (no info, just guess).

I went to the DAH event -- for free thanks to DVC concierge -- and it was absolutely awesome. But it was too expensive, and too late. I think if you have the event from 7 to midnight in the winter, and make the price under $100, you have an event people would attend.

No way those adjustments come to pass. The problem with starting at 7:00 is now you really are impacting normal operating schedule. The premise seems to be utilize times when the park would normally be closed to generate more revenue. I would guess they would actually lose money versus normal revenue in merchandise sales by closing the park to the public at 7:00 and keeping it open for just a few guests for under $100 per ticket. To close at 7:00 probably would increase the price tag to a ball park number of $500 - $1000 per ticket (just guess).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter