Disney Wonder - Galveston to San Jaun - January 20, 2017

I'm not quite sure where I should post this question, but here it goes.

We have been to Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen area quite a few times in the last few years, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with staying on the Disney Ship during Port Days and could maybe share some insight? While we can ALWAYS have a GREAT time in Cozumel, staying on a ship during port is something we've never done.

We've stayed on the ship for port days before (particularly Nassau). Some I can think of:
  • Some activities (not as much as sea days)
  • Movies throughout the day in the theaters and on the pool-side FunnelVision
  • Spa
  • Open house in the kids clubs
You can see some examples by looking at past Personal Navigators available on disneycruiselineblog.com.

Okay...computer is being friendly!!!
I'm not quite sure where I should post this question, but here it goes.

We have been to Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen area quite a few times in the last few years, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with staying on the Disney Ship during Port Days and could maybe share some insight? While we can ALWAYS have a GREAT time in Cozumel, staying on a ship during port is something we've never done.

~BUMP~​

We are still looking for 1 more participants (which will bring the count to 20) to guarantee a reservation in advance for mixology . We can have up to 40 people in the group. So if we reach 20 and you are still interested, there will still be room for more.
I am going to try to post this at the top of each page (going forward ) so new members won't have to search to find out what we are planning.

~Planned activities ~
(Meets, cabin crawls, mixology, etc )

Mixology
(will need a minimum of 20 - must be 21 or older)
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow (2)
SunI17 (2 )
StefunnyD (1)
MNnice (2)
Sian (2)
Bbrown (2)
ColoradoMrs (2)
Angel and Bear (2)
jenncardenas (2)
Wanderbuff(2)
Ange176 (1)
Clayton5party (2)​

Pre Cruise Meet for Harbor House
Pixiehallow
MNnice

StefunnyD
Zoijmvs

BBrown
crystalsnowseekins
Mngirl80
westonkamom
asperle
alaskanabbott
MNMommyof2
Grumpy's Group
Angel Rae
Ange176​

Cabin Crawl
(with or without poker)
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow
alaskanabbott
MNnice
Angel Rae
westonkamom​

Last edited:
Group 1 FEers

With the addition of Wanderbuff we are now back at 10 cabins and are closed.
If you have not requested the spreadsheet sheet yet, please do so.

There is still a group 3 for any late comers.

~Tink ~

Can you leave a kid in in their club and take an excursion without them? My dd turns 6 the day we are at Grand Cayman. She loves to snorkel so I want to take her on a special snorkel excursion but my other dd is 3. Maybe we should just do 2 separate excursions instead of leaving her on the boat?...

Can you leave a kid in in their club and take an excursion without them? My dd turns 6 the day we are at Grand Cayman. She loves to snorkel so I want to take her on a special snorkel excursion but my other dd is 3. Maybe we should just do 2 separate excursions instead of leaving her on the boat?...
First let me say, a quick search for this topic will show you that this is a very volatile topic. I can not answer from experience, as my boys were older when we got hooked on Disney cruising. I did search for rules pertaining to this, and found several threads on other boards discussing this exact topic. You can go to this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=897350 and read about it.

There is some contradicting information, but it gives you enough discussion to know the pro`s and con's.

Finally, I know this could spiral in to a haters frenzy. So no matter which side you take on this question, please only share helpful feedback.

~Tink ~

The posts that pixiehallow's links are an excellent summary. It really comes down to your comfort level and your three year-old's ability to be happy in the club for a few hours.

At Grand Cayman things are further complicated because it is a tender port; this means that you will have to: drop the three year-old off at the club ... wait for a tender ... ride the tender... get to your snorkeling excursion... wait for and ride the tender back to the ship.

Even if you take a DCL excursion, you can't count on the timeframe listed in the description. The shortest DCL excursion that includes snorkeling is "Nautilus Undersea Tour & Reef Snorkel (G07)" which is 2-2.5 hours; but, according to the description, the 2-2.5 hours starts and ends from the pier so realistically, it is probably at least 3-3.5 hours. Also, we once had issues with return transportation on an excursion and ended up back at the ship a couple of hours later than expected.

Personally, I would be wasting money because I don't think I'd be able to enjoy my excursion with a kid back on the ship; but I understand that my worries would be somewhat unrealistic. After all, I leave my son at school every day and sometimes I cannot be contacted at work easily if something goes wrong.

I'm not sure where to reply to this but can I be added to the Harbour house meet up (Ange (mum) and Jesse (aged 4). I would also like to join mixology class. just myself. Thanks

~BUMP~​

We are still looking for 1 more participants (which will bring the count to 20) to guarantee a reservation in advance for mixology . We can have up to 40 people in the group. So if we reach 20 and you are still interested, there will still be room for more.
I am going to try to post this at the top of each page (going forward ) so new members won't have to search to find out what we are planning.

~Planned activities ~

Mixology
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow (2)
SunI17 (2 )
StefunnyD (1)
MNnice (2)
Sian (2)
Bbrown (2)
ColoradoMrs (2)
Angel and Bear (2)
jenncardenas (2)
Wanderbuff(2)​

Pixiehallow
MNnice

StefunnyD
Zoijmvs

BBrown
crystalsnowseekins
Mngirl80
westonkamom
asperle
alaskanabbott
MNMommyof2
Grumpy's Group
Angel Rae​

Cabin Crawl
(with or without poker)
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow
alaskanabbott
MNnice
Angel Rae
westonkamom​

56742204, member: 337323"]
~BUMP~​

~Planned activities ~

Mixology
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow (2)
SunI17 (2 )
StefunnyD (1)
MNnice (2)
Sian (2)
Bbrown (2)
ColoradoMrs (2)
Angel and Bear (2)
jenncardenas (2)
Wanderbuff(2)​

Pixiehallow
MNnice

StefunnyD
Zoijmvs

BBrown
crystalsnowseekins
Mngirl80
westonkamom
asperle
alaskanabbott
MNMommyof2
Grumpy's Group
Angel Rae​

Cabin Crawl
(with or without poker)
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow
alaskanabbott
MNnice
Angel Rae
westonkamom​
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where to reply to this but can I be added to the Harbour house meet up (Ange (mum) and Jesse (aged 4). I would also like to join mixology class. just myself. Thanks

56742204, member: 337323"]
~BUMP~​

~Planned activities ~

Mixology
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow (2)
SunI17 (2 )
StefunnyD (1)
MNnice (2)
Sian (2)
Bbrown (2)
ColoradoMrs (2)
Angel and Bear (2)
jenncardenas (2)
Wanderbuff(2)​

Pixiehallow
MNnice

StefunnyD
Zoijmvs

BBrown
crystalsnowseekins
Mngirl80
westonkamom
asperle
alaskanabbott
MNMommyof2
Grumpy's Group
Angel Rae​

Cabin Crawl
(with or without poker)
Currently interested:
Pixiehallow
alaskanabbott
MNnice
Angel Rae
westonkamom​
[/QUOTE]
Ange, I have added you to both lists!
I will add you into the group chat for the Mixology as well.

I know it is Monday, and I will get to that in just a bit. First I wanted to share about my trip to Galveston on Thursday. I have been trying to set up my YouTube channel that my youngest insists that I need to start. And working on getting the videos I shot up on there. For know, I will only be able to share a few picks, and tell you my favorite outside updates that I could see.
At the top of my list is an upgrade you could only see as the sun was setting during sail away. Where it says Disney Wonder on the front portion of the bow, they have added a back lighting effect that looks really nice.
glowing wonder 3.png
glowing wonder 2.png glowing wonder 1.png
Next would be the new Twist and Spout. It was much larger than I expected, and I look forward to a water element that teens and adults can also enjoy.

twist and spout.png sailing twist and spout.png
Final the new Duck Tail....I really was taking these shots because I am trying to figure out if the secret deck (decks) are still there.
Any thoughts......
is there a secret deck 1.png is there a secret deck part.PNG

Okay happy Monday. We have 9 Mondays until we set sail.

This weeks Forget me Not's are more of a what to forget type of thing.
I know that some of the items I will be listing today are going to seem like a, "Well that is obvious" kind of thing, but keep in mind that items on this list (and the ones on the complete list I will provide a link to at the bottom of this post) are similar to warning labels on items such as, " Do not use this blow drier while in the bath", or " Do not drink this poison, it may be hazardous to your health". These warnings and guidelines have to be added in print (be it on our cruise contract or the side of a bottle) because someone out there already tried what we are being warned against. So, all though it may seem common sense to us, (unfortunately) not everyone has common sense. Also, I put in a few that are just down right entertaining (but on the forbidden list just the same).

Items that are not allowed on board:
- No weapons of any kind (shucks, I can not bring my loaded lazer cat.....SNL fans hopefully are laughing)
- Any pet aside from a service animal (see above)
- Realistic looking toy weapons
- Any non prescribed controlled substance (medical marijuana is included in the not allowed list)
-Power tools and tool boxes (I am guessing Bob the Builder has to find new luggage)
- Sporting equipment (this includes snow skis / poles, and fishing gear - you must do all of your deep sea fishing on excursions only. The excursion operator will provide all of your gear)
- Kites, balloons, and pools (yes, pools are listed as not to bring)
- Wagons
- Bicycle, skate board, or any foot wear with wheels (and I am sure that if Back to the Future had actually gotten the time frame right for our scientific advancements, hover boards would be a no no as well)
- Rice cookers or hot plates (sorry you have to suffer with Disney's wonderful food)
- irons
- candles
- game stations
- Homemade or precooked food
- Personal Fireworks (I think this may have already been covered in weapons. If not, I think it should be
based on how some people that are traveling with me use personal fireworks)
- Lighting strings (ie: Christmas lights)
- Liquid Oxygen
- Power strips, extension cords, and surge protectors
- Any non-magnetic door decoration (this is a personal add on from me. The reason being, is that I witnessed
a teen decorate her cabin door with duck tape. Her parents were stuck with the steep bill of replacing the
door as a result. Oh and by the way, as an answer to the question of why didn't I stop her, when we were
walking by, the door was already 90% covered.)

A more complete list can be found here.
It also has a list of exceptions to the list with restrictions.

Happy packing!

~Tink~

For those staying at Harbor House, I know that we can use the swimming pool at their sister hotel, Hotel Gálvez. Is there a shuttle there? I think it would be too far to walk. Thanks

For those staying at Harbor House, I know that we can use the swimming pool at their sister hotel, Hotel Gálvez. Is there a shuttle there? I think it would be too far to walk. Thanks
The Galvez is definitely to far to walk to. As for the shuttle, I am not sure. They have one running in the morning for those that are utilizing the parking at the Galvez, but I am not sure how late that shuttle runs. I can try to check today and post if I find anything out.

Good news, this is the response I got when I asked:

Tracy Proctor | Executive Assistant

2024 Seawall Boulevard | Galveston, TX 77550

o: 409-632-6406 | f: 409-765-5780

tproctor@wyndham.com| www.wyndham.com

~Tink~

Good news, this is the response I got when I asked:

Tracy Proctor | Executive Assistant

2024 Seawall Boulevard | Galveston, TX 77550

o: 409-632-6406 | f: 409-765-5780

tproctor@wyndham.com| www.wyndham.com

~Tink~
Thank you so much!

This is our first Disney cruise and we are beyond excited. Me (38) DH (40) DD (12) DS (7) DS (8). I just heard about FE and would love to join in as well as the mixology. Would love more info.

This is our first Disney cruise and we are beyond excited. Me (38) DH (40) DD (12) DS (7) DS (8). I just heard about FE and would love to join in as well as the mixology. Would love more info.
Welcome to our group Clayton5party!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
I have added you to the FE, the roll call, and the mixology.
I can get the message with the list of what is needed for the FE spreadsheet, and get you added into the Mixology chat as soon as you make the required 10 posts to have your messaging unlocked. You have already made 1, so 9 quick "Hi!", "we love Disney", or anything else you would like to share will have you set to go. I am typing on my phone right now, as soon as I get on my computer, I can tell you a little more about the mixology and the FE. If there is anything else you would like more information on, you can ask as part of your 9 more posts.

~Tink ~

This is our first Disney cruise and we are beyond excited...... Would love more info.
Okay, I am on the computer now. Much easier to type here!
FE's are fun little gift exchanges. I like to envision them as a secret Santa with a boost of Disney Magic. It is an activity that everyone in your travel party can get into, from making the crafts, or personalizing the gifts, to delivering the surprises and checking the FE for goodies each time you get back to the cabin. There are different theories out there about how to participate in an FE exchange. Mine (and most everyone in this exchange from what I have gathered) is that what is important is the magic you create. It is not about how much you spend, or how much time you spend on crafting, but about the fact that you thought about the family that you are sharing the magic with, and they thought about you. I love seeing the expression on the kids faces each time they get back to the cabin and they see a lump in the Fish Extender (okay I get the same excited expression too!).
A small bit of Disney cruise FE history - When the original ships opened the gangway for the first guests, the guest rooms each had a fish on the wall outside the cabin. The original intent for these fish was to serve as a mail box (fish). Instead of sliding notes from the CM's, or reservation tickets under the door where they might get lost, they were stood up in the slot behind the fish. Before long, the drive to share in the Disney magic struck, and the Fish Extender was born as a way to extend the holding capacity of the fish. This was so secret gifts could be shared between groups of ship mates like us.

The mixology doesn't have as exciting of a story to go with it, but it is fun all the same. During the class, the bartender (teacher for the class) will show us how to make between 6 to 8 different cocktails. And because Disney knows that watching is not as fun as doing, those in attendance have the opportunity to volunteer to make the drinks being taught. Now you don't have to be a drinker to have fun. I am not much of a drinker so I am happy to share what I don't drink, but I do enjoy volunteering. The advice I got at my first mixology was that you will have more fun if you volunteer. And since I found that to be true, that is the advice I share with anyone who asks .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter