Disney Wish question - Aft elevators & Marceline Market

snoopboop

DIS Veteran
We stayed aft on the Fantasy and I didn’t love that when we took the aft elevators to deck 11 we had to walk through Cabanas to get to the pool area. I’m wondering if the Wish is similar, or if they’ve reworked that deck so that you don’t have to walk through Marceline Market to get forward? I can’t find a deck plan that shows either way.

TIA!!

We stayed aft on the Fantasy and I didn’t love that when we took the aft elevators to deck 11 we had to walk through Cabanas to get to the pool area. I’m wondering if the Wish is similar, or if they’ve reworked that deck so that you don’t have to walk through Marceline Market to get forward? I can’t find a deck plan that shows either way.

TIA!!
You don't have to walk through Marceline at all thankfully. With 2 elevator banks instead of 3 and all elevators go to 11 picking an aft room on the wish flows a bit better.

The elevator placement on the Fantasy is awkward.

Do they have wash stations near the aft elevator exit into Cabanas, or do you need to walk to the front? We are staying aft for the first time on the Fantasy in March, and I don't think I have ever entered Cabanas through the aft elevators.

Do they have wash stations near the aft elevator exit into Cabanas, or do you need to walk to the front? We are staying aft for the first time on the Fantasy in March, and I don't think I have ever entered Cabanas through the aft elevators.
They Have hand wash stations right as you walk off the elevators on the left and right sides.

The elevators appear to be wonky on both ships. I really don't like having to walk through Cabanas on the Fantasy. Even the stairwell requires walking through Cabanas. It sounds like the Wish is wonky, since it only has 2 elevator banks, and they are both more mid and forward than aft.

Cabanas has hand washing stations at all entrances on all sides.

Funnily enough, the hand washing stations were part of what made the aft elevators so awkward, as they have CMs stationed there asking everyone to wash their hands, and if I'm just passing through to get to the pool and therefore really don't have a reason to wash my hands at that moment, it feels weird to look like a jerk who doesn't wash their hands before they serve themselves at a buffet.

Funnily enough, the hand washing stations were part of what made the aft elevators so awkward, as they have CMs stationed there asking everyone to wash their hands, and if I'm just passing through to get to the pool and therefore really don't have a reason to wash my hands at that moment, it feels weird to look like a jerk who doesn't wash their hands before they serve themselves at a buffet.
Completely agree. Sometimes I just washed them to keep people off my back. Sometimes I would just say passing through. That's the one thing that annoys me about the layout of the Dream/Fantasy. Haven't been on the Wonder, but I assume it's the same. I have never seen this on the other cruise lines I have taken.

It sounds like the Wish is wonky, since it only has 2 elevator banks, and they are both more mid and forward than aft.

Having only two banks wasn't really an issue for us. What is wonky about the elevators is that the buttons are so easy to set because they don't require physical contact so half the time someone accidentally sets all of them and you have to stop on every floor which makes them really slow. The second issue with the elevators is that only one in each bank goes decks 1-14, one to decks 1-13, and one to decks 1-12 and all of the others only go to deck 11. So if you want to go to decks 12, 13, or 14 most of the time you end up going to 11 and walking up because you can never get the right elevator when you want them. They don't have specific buttons to call only that elevator. Not a problem for Marcelline Market since it's on 11 but it's a pain in general.

Completely agree. Sometimes I just washed them to keep people off my back. Sometimes I would just say passing through. That's the one thing that annoys me about the layout of the Dream/Fantasy. Haven't been on the Wonder, but I assume it's the same. I have never seen this on the other cruise lines I have taken.
The Wonder and the Magic have the elevators in the lobby near the entrance to Cabanna's. Very different layout than the Dream and Fantasy since the ship is shorter.

The Wonder and the Magic have the elevators in the lobby near the entrance to Cabanna's. Very different layout than the Dream and Fantasy since the ship is shorter.
Not only is the ship itself shorter, but Cabanas is much smaller since the number of passengers on the Wonder or Magic is much less than on the Dream or Fantasy (875 staterooms vs. 1250 staterooms). The Wish is comparable to the D/F in terms of the number of staterooms.

What is wonky about the elevators is that the buttons are so easy to set because they don't require physical contact so half the time someone accidentally sets all of them and you have to stop on every floor which makes them really slow. The second issue with the elevators is that only one in each bank goes decks 1-14, one to decks 1-13, and one to decks 1-12 and all of the others only go to deck 11. So if you want to go to decks 12, 13, or 14 most of the time you end up going to 11 and walking up because you can never get the right elevator when you want them
And the other half the time, you can hit the button over and over and over again, and it still won’t light up. We had that problem on a particular elevator, trying to go down to deck 2. I finally went and complained to guest services.

Also, regarding this ridiculous elevator set-up, for someone who is slower like my mom who just had knee surgery it was a disaster because she was constantly having to get on and off the elevators. I don’t know who thought this up!

I don’t know who thought this up!
My understanding based on the documentary about the Wish is that the lead designer had never been on a cruise. Still scratching my head about how that seemed like a good idea… and the most common complaints about the Wish definitely seem to align with the idea that the ship was designed by someone who had no idea what a cruise ship should be like. Sigh.

My understanding based on the documentary about the Wish is that the lead designer had never been on a cruise. Still scratching my head about how that seemed like a good idea… and the most common complaints about the Wish definitely seem to align with the idea that the ship was designed by someone who had no idea what a cruise ship should be like. Sigh.
You know, I keep hearing that but I was on the Discovery princess (a new ship that started sailing) last summer and it had a very similar layout. No lower deck wraparound prominade. Few sea views inside the ship. Elevators that on went to certain floors. And wayyyy more dead ends than the Wish (I literally could not navigate it without consulting a map every time I tried to go somewhere). Maybe this is just what the shipyards are doing now.

You know, I keep hearing that but I was on the Discovery princess (a new ship that started sailing) last summer and it had a very similar layout. No lower deck wraparound prominade. Few sea views inside the ship. Elevators that on went to certain floors. And wayyyy more dead ends than the Wish (I literally could not navigate it without consulting a map every time I tried to go somewhere). Maybe this is just what the shipyards are doing now.
I’ve not been on the Wish but it basically seems like what NCL did with the Epic is now in style for cruise ships. Although that ship has zero promenade at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter