• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney dining plan will NOT include grat in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't incorrect. Your first batch of figures had me making $80 an hour, though, which is wildly inaccurate. And I'm not saying that it's not a proper wage. It is. Well, it is until next year when the gratuity comes off of the DDP. But, like I said, Disney doesn't employ many full time servers. Most of us work part time. I just moved from Michigan a little over a year ago. My husband worked in the automotive industry. (now you understand why we moved). Housing prices here are quite a bit higher than in MI. The house that I sold for $120000 simply can't be had here. Prices start at about the $200000 mark. My husband makes about 1/2 what I do. He's full time. I work in a tipped position so that we can afford to live. That's quite typical of Disney employees. Lots of families where both mom and dad are working for the mouse. Yes, we do it by choice. We do it because my husband's health (though he's in his early 30's and looks fit as a fiddle) was failing under the stress of his job. We came to Disney because we wanted to make other people happy. Because we wanted to make the magic for you folks that other CMs had done for us on our vacations. We could make other choices. We could be "smart" and leave Disney for better paying jobs. Maybe we'll have to, unless guests step up to the plate and take care of us like they know they are supposed to. Think of it this way..... yes, you tipped me. Yes, I made a decent wage. But, what you really did was make it so my husband could still spread magic over at the front desk somewhere and not have to worry about the fact that he doesn't really make all that much.

People on these boards talk all the time about how they figure Disney servers are making 6 figures. I know a lot of full timers and even they aren't bringing home 6 figures. Half that is closer. There might be a few full timers at CRT and the dinner shows who come close to that, but most of us are treading water.

I really appreciate your taking the time to explain this. I am a Michigan gal (still) & it's interesting, but your area is one of the first we lose employees to because the market is good there for builders....we are contractors and have lost at least 5 guys to the Orlando area in the past months. I guess it depends on the field one is in....

(First set of $80/hr figures weren't mind BTW...anal accountant here... ;) )

To: Justanotherguy

You don't see anything wrong with Disneyserver's reply, because you have the same darn attitude.

What would you say if I'd tell everybody on a forum that Americans are cheap ?

Would you like it ?

Frankly Im glad that the tips are getting removed. Sorry for the OP and other servers, but at least now the TS places wont be so hard to get into because majority of the people who used to buy the DDP, wont be buying it now. So therefor less people will be at the TS places unless they save up the money. And Im not one bit surprised that the price for the DDP would increease that much. The price of food is going up, so therfor Disney has to increase their prices on the menus to keep the same profit amount. They arent gonna keep it the same price as this yr and make less profit.

I've waited on half a dozen of you. Many of you know EXACTLY who I am. This isn't a rumor. The contract passed. Most servers DID NOT want it to. It's just like any other election. Majority rules and we are, by far, a minority of Disney employees. Plus, all were placed into a strike or pass position. No 18% included gratuity on the dining plan next year. Disney will be releasing "official" info in July when it always releases the following years package info.
I'm one of 'those' people. NOW I believe the change absolutely. Thanks for chiming in, BuffaloGal!

I can see the point from the servers, everyone wants to make a decent amount of cash. I wish though that they wouldn't lump folks together based on nationality, what they perceive to be one's economic standing, etc. and base service/lack of service on that.

To be honest, I think most people tip based on service, and if servers would improve their customer service, they would earn more. Sure, there will be the occassional person who doesn't tip, but that's a bit of an "occupational risk" isn't it??

There's no guarantee of a certain tip (except for those places that automatically add it, but then that is something the customer is agreeing too beforehand, as each establishment, I believe, notes the automatic gratuity right on the menu) so servers should know it's a "risk" they're taking by choosing their job

Hearing how some servers feel toward Disney guests really makes me sad :sad2: I know, they want money, but you know what, it's sad to hear the "Brits are cheap" and so on -- if you're really that unhappy with the job as a server at Disney (or elsewhere) then perhaps it may be time to find a new line of work :rolleyes1

I can really understand SOME Disney servers' fear that Disney will revoke the auto 18% tips -- with attitudes such as I am reading here, I can see why -- they don't want to provide the decent service to EARN the tips :sad2: I know it's unfair to the good servers, but why penalize the customer because some servers want tips without providing service -- seems to me that the problem isn't with Disney, guests, or the DDP plan auto tip -- it's with servers who don't want to earn their tips. It is they, IMO, who are "ruining it" for the good servers, no one else.

Well said, you made an excellant point

Disney8704 said:
Frankly Im glad that the tips are getting removed. Sorry for the OP and other servers, but at least now the TS places wont be so hard to get into because majority of the people who used to buy the DDP, wont be buying it now
Where in the world do you get that estimate, that "the majority" of current DDPers won't use it in the future? You know what happens when you assume something...

Where in the world do you get that estimate, that "the majority" of current DDPers won't use it in the future? You know what happens when you assume something...

Agreed, who knows about the majority. Some of the current DDP users will stop using it, either because the price increase is too much for them, or because they don't like the inconvenience caused by removing the automatic gratuity.

Maybe it will be a little easier to get an ADR next year, but we will have to see it in practice.

Your figures are WAY off, sweetie. I work in one of Disney's top ten busiest restaurants. Probably top 5, actually. It's a family style place. On average, we feed 1000 every night. There are between 16 and 20 chairs in my section, depending on where I am. Average table turn is about 1 hr and 30 minutes. Most turns, I'm going to get about a 75% fill rate on those chairs. That fill rate includes infants, who drink and dine for free. Our restaurant is open 5 hours for dinner. At break neck speed, I might get 4 turns, but usually it's 3 to 3 1/2. On an average night, I will serve about 56 guests (including the infants). That's not a guess. That's based on the reports that Disney gives me at the end of each shift.
And remember that most of us are part time and a lot of us are trying to be the primary bread winner because our spouses work in a non-tipped position for Disney. We aren't getting rich. I can afford to pay my bills.
40 guests an hour. Oy.

My mistake I meant to say 40 or more guest per shift .

And remember that most of us are part time and a lot of us are trying to be the primary bread winner because our spouses work in a non-tipped position for Disney. We aren't getting rich. I can afford to pay my bills.

If you are not getting enough hours per week in you could get a second job.
Well since you are paying your bills, part time may be enough.

I'm so sorry for this. How irritating. We'll be there in Sept this year & I think I'll ask my first few servers how to complain about this & complain. On a cruise tips aren't included because you can tip in one lump at the end of the cruise. But in this case that would be impossible & can imagine quite a few people running out of money & instead of not eating at their DDP places, just not tipping. Especially since Disney isn't making the DDP cheaper, just pocketing the difference!

Frankly Im glad that the tips are getting removed. Sorry for the OP and other servers, but at least now the TS places wont be so hard to get into because majority of the people who used to buy the DDP, wont be buying it now. So therefor less people will be at the TS places unless they save up the money. And Im not one bit surprised that the price for the DDP would increease that much. The price of food is going up, so therfor Disney has to increase their prices on the menus to keep the same profit amount. They arent gonna keep it the same price as this yr and make less profit.

If I remember right, you are the wedding planner that has it out for servers. I am sure you are glad the tips are being removed. I feel if they are going to remove the tips then lower the price. That way people wont throw that in the mix for not tipping or tipping appropriately..Bottom line good service equals 15-20 percent of the bill no matter what you think the server makes per hour.

21 pages and I guess it has been confirmed by the castmembers who are posting here that the tip will not be included in the DDP offered in 2008. I think we have discussed and rediscussed and discussed again why we want or do not want tips included on the DDP.

I think this thread has run its course and I am locking it in the hopes that if you are upset with this decision, you will indeed write the Disney corporation..

One more thought here, since this has not been officially announced by Disney, when it is, we can discuss it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter