Disney buys Marvel Entertainment

I can't see how Disney will capture the young male market if they change the Marvel characters to be more family friendly. Wolverine et al are already somewhat sissified according to many enthusiasts and making them even more so would accomplish little IMO. Maybe the little boys would like it if that happened.

However if Disney is smart, they can make tons of money off of this company without so much as lifting a finger. It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I'm wondering why Marvel sold out personally. I never expected them to give up control of their product.

I'm wondering why Marvel sold out personally. I never expected them to give up control of their product.

For the same reason most companies are sold. The buyer (Disney) offered them a significant premium over their current stock price.

For the same reason most companies are sold. The buyer (Disney) offered them a significant premium over their current stock price.
That's a nice profit...today. Marvel could do amazing things.

Disney is to blame for concentrating on the girly market for so long and now they are making a big deal about capturing this market they have ignored all this time? I think it's funny. :teeth:

Disney made fortunes on Princesses and Fairies which were and are very profitable for them. Ask anyone who stood in line for an hour waiting to see a fairy or anyone who spent a fortune at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. I don't see Disney making a big deal out of this as much as they are filling the gap by spending some cash. Not a bad business decision.

Disney made fortunes on Princess' and Fairies which were and are very profitable for them. Ask anyone who stood in line for an hour waiting to see a fairy or anyone who spent a fortune at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. I don't see Disney making a bid deal out of this as much as they are filling the gap by spending some cash. Not a bad business decision.
Oh I agree with you but Iger said in many of the articles floating around that Disney needed to capture the missing group...which was young boys/men. My point is...they themselves have ignored this group for so long that it shouldn't be a matter he needed to discuss...it should be a given.

As far as building a new theme park all together, that investment would be MUCH more then the 4 billion it is costing for this acquisition. And in today's economy I don't know if anyone (including Disney shareholders) would want a company to make such a large investment on anything that doesn't have any historical profits to see.
True. In this economy, (despite the fact that things are starting to improve gradually), it will take awhile for the travel/tourism industry to get back into full swing. Even when jobs start to come back & things improve, people will be staying closer to home for awhile and traveling less. I'm not at all guessing that Disney won't invest in a 5th gate period, just not in at least the next half-decade. Buying Marvel could end up being one of the biggest goldmines Disney has invested in. Time will tell.

And for those complaining about not wanting Marvel themeing in any Disney parks. Just think about how many people wont be in the Splash Mountain line with you because they are stuck on the Spider-Man line. :laughing:
What's a bit discouraging is how upset the Marvel faithful are. :eek: Actually, livid is more like it. They're acting as if Disney is going to turn all future Marvel projects into 'Iron Man Meets The Brave Little Toaster'.
Compared to the last Spiderman film where Peter Parker is practically blubbering during 1/3 of the movie, Disney might do some Marvel projects a huge service. Even the slowest scene in any given POTC or Narnia film is better than Spiderman 3 (imo). :sad2:
In time, hopefully the Marvel die-hards will realize that Disney isn't just princesses & singing critters. The company can pull off action/adventure just fine.

I have to say that I personally LIKE this idea. I agree that I don't want the Marvel characters out and about in MK or the like....but I think they could have their place in DHS or DCA.

I have to say that I have been to DCA a ton of times and IOA 5 times and don't really see that DCA is in any way a knock off. If anything DCA has some elements of DHS but IOA is totally different. Can someone explain to me exactly why they think DCA is a knock-off of IOA? I really don't see many similarities.

I agree, but go a step further. Wasn't it Disney who invented the idea of theme parks? And wasn't it Disney that practically created the Florida tourism industry? And in both case US followed Disney. It doesn't bother me that US copies Disney (or vice-versa). It bothers me when US whines about it.

Since Universal pretty much owns the rights in perpetuity for the Hulk and Spiderman east of the Mississippi, I think it would be reasonable to think Disney might have a Marvel heros section including Spiderman and the Hulk in California and a section of DHS devoted to other Marvel heros.

Definitely a given. This younger male group has not been involved with comics for a while. Now that the comics are branching out more from just the comic books, I think they see the value in the purchase.

Ya know, I was just thinking that a Marvel section will probably appeal to big boys too. The women in the comic books have been fortunate, shall we say, in the way their body fat has been distributed. It might not be as hard for women to convince their husbands to take a Disney trip.

Personally, and I know I am probably going to put myself in the line of fire for saying this, I do not believe that the Marvel Entertainment characters would suit Disney. I have never personally liked to watch or have ever wanted to watch Spider-man or things like that because Disney has been more appealing to me. Not that I would protest, but adding a themed ride for spiderman just doesn't seen "disney-like" to me.

:)

I mean if Disney were to add a Spider-Man mega roller coaster like people are talking about, they would obviously take their time and do-it right. I just have a hard time thinking of Spider-Man as a character in wdw.

Oh I agree with you but Iger said in many of the articles floating around that Disney needed to capture the missing group...which was young boys/men. My point is...they themselves have ignored this group for so long that it shouldn't be a matter he needed to discuss...it should be a given.

You are absolutely right Metro, the Pirate's marketing wasn't nearly enough to fill that void. Disney waited too long to make a move like this.

This entire acquisition could be extremely profitable for Disney if played right. And knowing what Disney has accomplished in the past it's easy to have faith in them. This entire thing goes far beyond theme parks and roller coasters.

True. In this economy, (despite the fact that things are starting to improve gradually), it will take awhile for the travel/tourism industry to get back into full swing. Even when jobs start to come back & things improve, people will be staying closer to home for awhile and traveling less. I'm not at all guessing that Disney won't invest in a 5th gate period, just not in at least the next half-decade. Buying Marvel could end up being one of the biggest goldmines Disney has invested in. Time will tell.

What's a bit discouraging is how upset the Marvel faithful are. :eek: Actually, livid is more like it. They're acting as if Disney is going to turn all future Marvel projects into 'Iron Man Meets The Brave Little Toaster'.
Compared to the last Spiderman film where Peter Parker is practically blubbering during 1/3 of the movie, Disney might do some Marvel projects a huge service. Even the slowest scene in any given POTC or Narnia film is better than Spiderman 3 (imo). :sad2:
In time, hopefully the Marvel die-hards will realize that Disney isn't just princesses & singing critters. The company can pull off action/adventure just fine.

I have to speak in defense of a Marvel faithful which would be my brother - a lifelong reader. I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure a lot of other comic readers probably feel the same. I don't think they are "livid" - they are just scared their favorite comics are going to change and you can't blame them for that. Honestly, at least in my brothers case - he doesn't care one bit about the superhero movie side of it. Most hardcore Marvel fans don't like most of the movies they make anyway. If anything, my brother said what would be cool would to see Pixar make a Spider-man movie for example. It's not that they hate Disney or anything, it's more the fact that they just don't want Disney influencing the writing and artistry that they love so much in their comics. Imagine if something that we love like Disney was bought out by Nickelodeon for example...could you imagine the fear of what changes that could bring?

I have to speak in defense of a Marvel faithful which would be my brother - a lifelong reader. I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure a lot of other comic readers probably feel the same. I don't think they are "livid" - they are just scared their favorite comics are going to change and you can't blame them for that. Honestly, at least in my brothers case - he doesn't care one bit about the superhero movie side of it. Most hardcore Marvel fans don't like most of the movies they make anyway. If anything, my brother said what would be cool would to see Pixar make a Spider-man movie for example. It's not that they hate Disney or anything, it's more the fact that they just don't want Disney influencing the writing and artistry that they love so much in their comics. Imagine if something that we love like Disney was bought out by Nickelodeon for example...could you imagine the fear of what changes that could bring?
I'm seeing some of this too. I commented earlier that many Marvel diehards think that many of the characters are too soft as it is. Disney is perceived as rather light and fluffy and I think that they fear a change in the name of family entertainment. I don't think that anyone thought that Universal was a threat in that regard.

By the way, I disagree with the person who said that Disney created the tourism industry in Florida. I've been reading a bit about the old-time attractions and Disney didn't create anything. They changed it and made it much bigger but it was already there.

Ya know, I was just thinking that a Marvel section will probably appeal to big boys too. The women in the comic books have been fortunate, shall we say, in the way their body fat has been distributed. It might not be as hard for women to convince their husbands to take a Disney trip.

Another great observation. You toss a few Mary Janes in the park and I will stop chasing around the Ellen Parrs.

Another great observation. You toss a few Mary Janes in the park and I will stop chasing around the Ellen Parrs.
It's interesting but Universal has always kept it quite clean when it comes to these characters. They have Rogue and Storm come out regularly and they are attractive but by no means...ummm...alluring. ;)

Imagine if something that we love like Disney was bought out by Nickelodeon for example...could you imagine the fear of what changes that could bring?
Valid point. I would definitely be resting uneasy right now if Nickelodeon was going to be in charge of future Disney projects. :eek: Not that I'm anti-Spongebob or Dora the Explorer, but it would not sit too well.

Planogirl said:
It's interesting but Universal has always kept it quite clean when it comes to these characters. They have Rogue and Storm come out regularly and they are attractive but by no means...ummm...alluring.;)
There was a Wonder Woman I saw at a Six Flags park once who, um...for some reason caused me to buy a season pass. :rolleyes1

Just a few of my thoughts.

I find it a bit ironic that it is Universal that could take a potential huge slap in the face. After all it was Charles Mintz that bought and sold Walts character Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to Universal and took Walt down to nothing, forcing him to start over once again.

My thoughts about "what would Walt do" would be flying a finger at Universal.

I agree the young male demographic is lacking at Disney. Marvel Universe could be a quick fix. Infusing it at DHS would be easy.

If another park would be on the horizon. Marvel would be a large venue to work with, and Disney could incorporate thrill rides with a new park and pull in another demographic that they suffer with getting into their parks.

I do not think Disney will put Spiderman in the MK, some things need to be held true. But DHS definitely would be a good place to start and maybe even EP could find some space for at least merchandising and meet and greets.

I think Disney will be slow and methodical, but we will see a slow infusion of the characters much like we have grown accustom to Power Ranger, Turtles and even Winnie the Pooh in the Disney parks.

Disney always does it with class and I feel they will maintain the Marvel Character integrity.

I think its a great idea (them buying Marvel ) But They only need to have Marvel characters at HS ... They will not fit in anywhere else...

Please Disney Keep them in HS or make them their own park .. I don't want them walking around Magic kingdom or epcot .... :headache:

I agree, but go a step further. Wasn't it Disney who invented the idea of theme parks?

Nope, that distinction would go to Knotts Berry Farm in Southern CA (1940).

And wasn't it Disney that practically created the Florida tourism industry?

Wrong, again -- the Florida tourism industry was spun-up in the years after WWII -- albeit, on a smaller scale than what you see, today. Lots of local amusement parks regined supreme until about the early 1980's -- any long-time "true" Floridans remember such places as "Miracle Strip" and "Petticoat Junction"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter