Disney buys Marvel Entertainment

nile455

<font color=green>Have you met the Monsters of the
Wow, this is a major acquisition in the entertainment and especially theme park world. I wonder if we start seeing Spidey at Magic Kingdom? :rotfl2: And what happens to the existing Marvel stuff at competitor Universal?

this sure is interesting news ... id like to see a link to an article. im going to google this and read up!

I'm not sure what will happen to the Marvel characters at Universal. Disney may have to honor the previous contracts until they expire. After that point they will have a new section in the Studios. (If I were to guess) This is not good for Universal as it would wipe out one of their prime "Lands" also some of the rides may need to be rebranded. All I can say for now is move over all you princesses there are some new characters coming to town!!:cool1:

I'm not sure what will happen to the Marvel characters at Universal. Disney may have to honor the previous contracts until they expire. After that point they will have a new section in the Studios. (If I were to guess) This is not good for Universal as it would wipe out one of their prime "Lands" also some of the rides may need to be rebranded. All I can say for now is move over all you princesses there are some new characters coming to town!!:cool1:

I'm guessing the existing contract will give them enough time to re-theme that part of the park. That would be quite a casualty though. It'll be interesting to see the implications and how it all plays out.

I'm guessing the existing contract will give them enough time to re-theme that part of the park. That would be quite a casualty though. It'll be interesting to see the implications and how it all plays out.

It's ok from what the anti Disney people are teling me, Harry Potter will be US savior :rotfl2:

On second thought, maybe not a total casualty of the ride itself b/c maybe they would just move it over to Hollywood Studios? :confused3

I saw Iger talking about this. He was saying that the License Fees is what they were after. I imagine they will collect the large fees from Universal with out having to make any capital investments.

I hope it will brand into that 5th thrill park, that was the villian idea. A marvel park could be done very well. But I don't see a few billion laying around. One can hope though.

He did say that WDC is commited to bringing more marvel entertainment venues to the public. through, comics, movies, tv, toys, and parks...........

I saw Iger talking about this. He was saying that the License Fees is what they were after. I imagine they will collect the large fees from Universal with out having to make any capital investments.

I hope it will brand into that 5th thrill park, that was the villian idea. A marvel park could be done very well. But I don't see a few billion laying around. One can hope though.

He did say that WDC is commited to bringing more marvel entertainment venues to the public. through, comics, movies, tv, toys, and parks...........

You're right about the licensing fees. I doubt they do very little with the Marvel brand the way it is.

I can see where the interest from Disney standpoint lies. Give them some new branding and themeing for DHS that does not currently exist. I love Hollywood Studios but I can understand why people sometimes say its their least fave park. Adding more characters and making it more themed would enhance its appeal to the younger tween and teen crowd. US will suffer a bit, but they will always offer stuff that Disney won't do. If thrill rides are your thing I believe you will still have to go to US to get the real cliff hanger thrill rides. US attendance has been off in recent years with a resurgence when HP rode onto the lot. That theme will help them carry through for the next few years with the final chapters of the movie being done in two parts.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I can see where the interest from Disney standpoint lies. Give them some new branding and themeing for DHS that does not currently exist. I love Hollywood Studios but I can understand why people sometimes say its their least fave park. Adding more characters and making it more themed would enhance its appeal to the younger tween and teen crowd. US will suffer a bit, but they will always offer stuff that Disney won't do. If thrill rides are your thing I believe you will still have to go to US to get the real cliff hanger thrill rides. US attendance has been off in recent years with a resurgence when HP rode onto the lot. That theme will help them carry through for the next few years with the final chapters of the movie being done in two parts.

Universal is thanking the heavens they acquired the HP rights. That's about all they will have that will carry them through a potential loss of Marvel.

was thinking about the Spiderman ride at IOA. This is the one downfall for simulators. Can't really re-theme them. The Spidey ride is the single most interesting part of this whole deal. Hmmm...

I totally agree. LOL, can't wait to tell DH. I think this is a really smart move on Disney's part, believe it or not. I think it'll attract more than teen and tween boys-- most of the comic book fans I know are 30-40+ and would definitely go on a Marvel-themed ride. And, like my DH, probably spend $100 on t-shirts, just like he does in the Star Wars shop.

I totally agree. LOL, can't wait to tell DH. I think this is a really smart move on Disney's part, believe it or not. I think it'll attract more than teen and tween boys-- most of the comic book fans I know are 30-40+ and would definitely go on a Marvel-themed ride. And, like my DH, probably spend $100 on t-shirts, just like he does in the Star Wars shop.

Very good point about Marvel being as big with 40 year old nerds, err... COMIC BOOK COLLECTORS.:rotfl:

In all seriousness I think this is an outstanding business move for the company. They had the cash, they made about as wise a purchase as I can imagine.

I know that my dh/boys would love this! My youngest has his room done in Marvel with a big Spidey fathead. It always made me sad that is wasn't a 'Disneyfied' little boys room!LOL I guess now it might be!!! Actually my dd and I love Spidey as well!
Seriously, this could help the young/teen boy demographic sooo much!

I'm hoping for a better character meal aimed at the boys. Boys don't like princess, boys grow out of Mickey and Minnie pretty early. I would like them to do a villain meal, but I guess that would not have mass appeal. But super heroes, ummm, really dumb of them if they don't do a character meal.

WDW should be embellished with Disney creations not Disney purchases.

The potential inclusion of Marvel characters in WDW only adds to the unDisneying process that began corporate Disney purchased the Muppets. Add the non-Disney-created Power Rangers to the mix and the result is less than magic. And Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had been part of HS (when it was MGM). :confused:

To be sure, the Disney-Pixar relationship became a "purchase," but that was a creative partnership first.

What's next: Teletubbies in Toon Town? [Oh no, some folks may be saying, "Hey, that's a great idea!"] :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter