Disney buys Marvel Entertainment

I seem to remember reading alot of critisism about Disney lately.
People complaining they aren't adding to the parks, or sitting doing nothing while US adds Harry Potter, closing PI, people saying US is
smarter because they made 21 million last quarter while disney's profits fell
to about 950 million. (ya poor disney only made just under a billion dollars in one quarter)
We'll today's annoucement should prove that just because Disney doesn't tell you it's plans doesn't mean they are doing nothing or don't have a plan for the future.
This is a major strike at US. Not only does it add to Disney's film department and probably it's theme parks, it takes away from US theme parks and counters their biggest announced plans of HP.
Watch for Iron Man 2 to be a HUGE hit next year and boost profits for Disney.

Thank you! That deserves a slow clap! This deal goes FAR beyond theme parks!

"Marvel also has various deals with the two-park Universal Orlando. The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation.

Wouldn't it be funny to have Spiderman and Hulk attractions at Universal in Florida and Disneyland or DCA in California.

Personaly, I think this is a very smart move on disneys part. It has been increasing harder for me to get my 15yoDS excited about going back to Disney. ( we will be there in 2 more days :yay:)

But when he heard this announcement on the news tonight, the first thing he said was " We are going back as soon as the new park opens" :rotfl:

The interview I saw, Iger stated they would keep the licensing agreements with Universal and IOA, with Universal paying a fee to Disney every year. This seems like a win win for Disney, and I think we will see some of the characters at DHS, or maybe finaly a new park.

Disney wont lose any of the magic for me, in fact I think it will add another dimension, just like Star Wars and The Muppets.

I guess we will all just have to stay tunned to see whats in store for all of us.:surfweb:

Personaly, I think this is a very smart move on disneys part. It has been increasing harder for me to get my 15yoDS excited about going back to Disney. ( we will be there in 2 more days :yay:)

But when he heard this announcement on the news tonight, the first thing he said was " We are going back as soon as the new park opens"

Unfortunately by the time Disney builds a new park or even some Marvel-based attractions your son is liable to have kids of his own.

I think this is a good move on Disney's part, but it will be years before we see anything other than a few meet & greets.

Also there is always the chance that this deal doesn't go through. Nothing is for certain until the deal closes.

Unfortunately by the time Disney builds a new park or even some Marvel-based attractions your son is liable to have kids of his own.

I think this is a good move on Disney's part, but it will be years before we see anything other than a few meet & greets.

Also there is always the chance that this deal doesn't go through. Nothing is for certain until the deal closes.

I know I told him the same thing :lmao:

And who knows what can happen the Feds could stop the sale, we will just have to wait and see.

was thinking about the Spiderman ride at IOA. This is the one downfall for simulators. Can't really re-theme them. The Spidey ride is the single most interesting part of this whole deal. Hmmm...

I agree the spiderman ride is one of my all time favorites anywhere. The super hero theming is needed for the boys that have outgrown the Toy Story.

So has anyone thought about where all this money was when we were laying off good managers and are now working the castmembers on 6 days and 70 hour weeks because we can't afford to hire new people. The Disney community is certainly talking about it.

What's going to happen to the rides at Universal? My DS loved the Spiderman ride and the other thrill rides there. Will they stay at Universal for a while, or will they be moved to Disney? I can't imagine what will happen to Universal.

So has anyone thought about where all this money was when we were laying off good managers and are now working the castmembers on 6 days and 70 hour weeks because we can't afford to hire new people. The Disney community is certainly talking about it.

Two different budgets. This move has very little to do with the Theme Parks. I spent the whole day working with experienced Cast Members in "The Disney community" and your thought wasn't discussed at all. All the people I came in contact with in the Disney Community are very excited about this new acquisition and can't wait to see what will happen.

And yes, we are a group who lost some very good managers who were part of our family.

It's apples and oranges, one does not have anything to do with the other.

This is such an awesome business deal..plus it combines my family's two fave things: Disney & Marvel! Two classic American companies as one! As Stan Le would say "Excelsior!"

VenomDisney.jpg

Walt would be so proud. :sad2:

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Wouldn't it be funny to have Spiderman and Hulk attractions at Universal in Florida and Disneyland or DCA in California.

Well, since DCA is a knock-off of IoA in the first place, I think it would be only fitting.

In all honesty, though, I doubt this is actually good news for Disney's theme park division. Most likely, it will contribute to further delaying any expensive developments/refurbishments in their theme parks for a while.

What I find quite funny are those that seem to want this to harm Universal. First, the competition that UO provides benefits all of us. Second, IoA has been open for a decade, and Disney still doesn't have a ride that, technologically speaking, comes close to comparing with Spiderman. Why would anyone want UO to have to change that section of IoA just so Disney could re-theme Stitch's Great Mistake yet again?

:lmao:

In all honesty, though, I doubt this is actually good news for Disney's theme park division. Most likely, it will contribute to further delaying any expensive developments/refurbishments in their theme parks for a while.

Actually I was thinking the same thing. The irony is the purchase of Marvel may very well mean that Disney doesn't have the cash (at least short-term) to build a fifth park or expand a current park for Marvel-themed rides and attractions. $4B is a big chunk of change even for a company like Disney.

What's going to happen to the rides at Universal? My DS loved the Spiderman ride and the other thrill rides there. Will they stay at Universal for a while, or will they be moved to Disney? I can't imagine what will happen to Universal.
The rides aren't going anywhere and won't be rethemed unless Universal chooses to. They will have to pay a royalty fee to Disney now I guess but Disney can't close them or in any way interfere with them.

They could force Universal to call the area Disney Superhero Island maybe like someone suggested. I personally hope that Universal rethemes the area if Disney pulls that stunt. I don't want Disney in Universal just as I don't want Universal in Disney. JMO.

And I will never go to a Marvel Princess meal! DS told me that Wolverine would never wear a gown and crown which made me crack up. :rotfl:

Actually I was thinking the same thing. The irony is the purchase of Marvel may very well mean that Disney doesn't have the cash (at least short-term) to build a fifth park or expand a current park for Marvel-themed rides and attractions. $4B is a big chunk of change even for a company like Disney.

Yep.

I'll see your Harry Potter and raise you one Marvel Universe .
I made a similar comment earlier but then it became clear that Universal would not be giving up the Marvel characters, at least not yet plus some are now saying that Disney spent so much money that they aren't likely to be able to do much with them for quite a while. Odd but I guess that time will tell. :confused3

Well one good thing is not boys will have something to look foward to as girls already have H. Montana, Princesses, etc...

I have to say that I personally LIKE this idea. I agree that I don't want the Marvel characters out and about in MK or the like....but I think they could have their place in DHS or DCA.

I have to say that I have been to DCA a ton of times and IOA 5 times and don't really see that DCA is in any way a knock off. If anything DCA has some elements of DHS but IOA is totally different. Can someone explain to me exactly why they think DCA is a knock-off of IOA? I really don't see many similarities.

Anyhow....many people may not like the acquisition but I think it opens a door for Disney to be more relevant to males of all ages and it gives them rights to great movies franchises, comic books, toys, video games, etc. I think it is GREAT...but I don't expect to see Marvel characters in the parks anytime soon.

As long as nothing happens to the Spiderman ride, I'm ok with this. I could care less about the rest of Marvel Island, but Spiderman ranks among my favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter