Disboutiquers Part 27 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Iron-on paper would be easier. I actually did something similar to your idea a few months ago, except I used my embroidery machine:

Good job, yours look great. Yes that is what I am trying to do but unfortunately I do not have an embroidery machine, maybe someday. I think I will do the Iron-on. I'm sure they will not be as pretty, but the Printable fabric I found is crazy expensive!!
Thanks

Ahh, I see. What do you think would be easier to do, the casings or shirring? I have a singer talent and need to do 3 dresses size 12m, 5 & 8. I am actually just coming up with something (no pattern.) So the easier the better. Thanks

That depends on if your machine does shirring without you wanting to throw it out the window! :lmao: (I had a machine like that)

Try to shirr with your machine on some scrap fabric, if it works, that would probably be your quickest and easiest method.

I just noticed your ticker, we will be there about the same time.

Now I wish there is something like Ottawa Street near us, then again, maybe not because I will spend all my money there.

I didn't realize Joann's have offices in Ontario. I just thought they were in the US! I am glad to hear that you found some Disney fabric. I can't wait to see what you make!

Iron-on paper would be easier. I actually did something similar to your idea a few months ago, except I used my embroidery machine:

WorldShowcaseFront.jpg

WorldShowcaseBack.jpg

Great job! I am glad that you had great success with upsizing!

That skirt was very cute Flora!!!

Love all the stuff that has been posted lately. I've been in kind of a slump, lots of ideas but no time to finish any projects.

I did manage to do this for a first birthday present for my daughter's best friend's little girl. I made it a little big so it will fit next summer.

downsized_0125121451.jpg

Hi Everyone!

Just checking in quickly, before I run out the door. I spent the better part of today researching the slash and spread method for upsizing patterns. I am amazed at how easy this really is. I upsized a size 8 Simply Sweet to a Size 14 in about 1 hour (including making a muslin). DD and I made a duct tape double for her today and my muslin sized 14 SS actually fit the Duct Table Double very well. Now I feel like I can take any pattern she likes and make it work.

I felt like a scientist and I loved the feeling of success afterwards!!!

Great Job on Upsizing.

Love all the stuff that has been posted lately. I've been in kind of a slump, lots of ideas but no time to finish any projects.

I did manage to do this for a first birthday present for my daughter's best friend's little girl. I made it a little big so it will fit next summer.

downsized_0125121451.jpg

This is just adorable.

Guess I need to actually try to get some sewing done today.

Commented on FB but he is SO cute and I love the outfit!!!! Great job:thumbsup2

:goodvibes Thanks

Too bad about your DS's party. The outfit turned out great!

:lmao: Actually he has lucked out in a way. He has now had 4 bday cakes since his bday.

Ahh, I see. What do you think would be easier to do, the casings or shirring? I have a singer talent and need to do 3 dresses size 12m, 5 & 8. I am actually just coming up with something (no pattern.) So the easier the better. Thanks

I think casings would be easier. The CrissCross dress pattern that I have uses 4 casings in the back and you just have pull the elastic through them all at the same time.

Hi Everyone!

Just checking in quickly, before I run out the door. I spent the better part of today researching the slash and spread method for upsizing patterns. I am amazed at how easy this really is. I upsized a size 8 Simply Sweet to a Size 14 in about 1 hour (including making a muslin). DD and I made a duct tape double for her today and my muslin sized 14 SS actually fit the Duct Table Double very well. Now I feel like I can take any pattern she likes and make it work.

Please share:worship: I tried that last year but I didn't get it quite right:rolleyes1

Thank you Tinkerbell3747!! I did a search and found that they make printable fabric!! Wow, guess they make everything now-a-days!! Whoop!

Thanks again!
Here's hoping the stuff works ;)

If you decided to go with the printable fabric I was also use Heat&Bond lite.

th_downsized_0125121451.jpg

That came out cute. I hear you on the slump though. I really need to get going for our trip that is less than 5 mths away:scared1:

No embroidery machine equals no work being done!

Thinking this afternoon might be the day I start organizing the studio...or cleaning the house...or maybe, just maybe...take a nap!

Seriously, I'm thinking of throwing a pity party instead! I really am bummed that I am missing the meet down in Disney this week. After it was too late, hubby told me I could have gone...he would front the bill for me. GRRR! Why couldn't he have told me earlier.

My plans for this weekend were to get buy with the shirts for our trip. Since hubby is working and the kids have a new Xbox game I figured I could get several hours of uninterrupted sewing done... guess not.

I do need to go put a button and button holes on an Aline so I can get the whole bunch listed. My DIL is going to take pictures for me on my new mannequin. And it looks like the weather might just cooperate today. A bit chilly but nice and sunny.

Does anyone know of another place you can get a decent embroidery machine...on payments? I don't have the spendable cash right now (I am actually going to use the Disney money for this one) HSN is sold out of the one I kinda wanted, aren't carrying the one I really wanted, and I normally use the PX as my back up but they are out of stock.

(Of course, next January I get to get me a big girl six needle machine!)

Let the Pity party commence.....

Nini

Does anyone know of another place you can get a decent embroidery machine...on payments? I don't have the spendable cash right now (I am actually going to use the Disney money for this one) HSN is sold out of the one I kinda wanted, aren't carrying the one I really wanted, and I normally use the PX as my back up but they are out of stock.

Nini

Sorry about the embroidery machine. I am not sure where you can check for an embroidery machine replacement. Have you looked on overstock.com? I don't know if they do payments or not though. I bought my machine second hand on ebay and got a great deal on it. I love it! I'll be very jealous when you get the 6 needle machine though.

I just saw somebody on our craigslist selling a Marie Osmond embroidery machine for $50. I don't know anything about it but I was toying with the idea of looking into it for DD11 to play with. It only has a 4x4 embroidery field but I think she'd enjoy it. I just don't know anything about the machine.

This is really cute. Sorrry about your slump.

Michelle, your little boy and his b-day outfit are adorable. Love that smile. Sorry about the party, but 4 cakes, wow, what a lucky boy!

Nini, hope your day goes well. Take the time for yourself and sneak in a nap. Everything else will fall into place. You always seem to make it work out.

Can't remember who posted upsizing the Simply Sweet, but I also would love it if you would share your secret. Thanks

My dd says Chip and Dale are her boyfriends:lmao: and they are the only characters other than the princesses that she will interact with, or even stand next to for a picture. So, I made this shirt for her yesterday. The hug I got for it was just priceless!!
1-28-12002.jpg

Need to do some sewing not just embroidery. Want to make some pj pants for the two older kiddos. hmmmmm....think I can ignore the to do list today:laundy:and sew instead?

I'm looking for some AK inspiration to make something for a 5 year old girl, anyone want to share?
we were at wdw in May last year and i made minnie head tee's for my dgd's Kensliegh,Gracie 6 and Chloe 4...i used a skirt form the thrift store { $1!!} for the head and got petties on clearance at wallywolrd after halloween in the costume section! $2 each... they loved the outfits and looked so cute!
253695_218030868229407_100000674867225_676754_146109_n.jpg

hope this is inspiration for you!

:cheer2:The picture should show in my Avatar - can't figure out how to post a picture within this message!

I used a twirled skirt pattern from youcansewthis, a purple Tinkerbell fabric with some pink and green from my stash. Lexi loves it! I need to put on a ruffle to finish the hem, but I'm going to wait for some help from my mom. I'm awful at ruffles. I'm also thinking of a coordinating T-shirt with the Tinkerbell cupcake design from froufrou.

So, first attempt is done and I'm hooked! My son saw the skirt this morning and asked me to make him something, so I purchased the bowling shirt pattern. Laundry and cleaning can wait, right?

:cheer2:The picture should show in my Avatar - can't figure out how to post a picture within this message!

I used a twirled skirt pattern from youcansewthis, a purple Tinkerbell fabric with some pink and green from my stash. Lexi loves it! I need to put on a ruffle to finish the hem, but I'm going to wait for some help from my mom. I'm awful at ruffles. I'm also thinking of a coordinating T-shirt with the Tinkerbell cupcake design from froufrou.

So, first attempt is done and I'm hooked! My son saw the skirt this morning and asked me to make him something, so I purchased the bowling shirt pattern. Laundry and cleaning can wait, right?

Love your son's comment.

You need 10 posts to be able to post pictures. Can't wait to see the skirt larger.

I am off to do a pair of PJs for my DD.

awww i love that skirt and those colors are so pretty! great job....i think you need 10 post to post pix....and i post mine to facebook then to here...there are instructions on the 1st page on how to do that...you may already know that but just thought i'd share...again great job on the skirt...and good luck on the shirt...i've been sewing almost a year and a half and still too scared to do button holes ,not sure why...they can't be that hard as as hard as a zipper WITHOUT a zipper foot...i need a sewing accessories fairy!
~Beth~

where in Canada? I'm in Kitchener, ONT and our lens mill and fabric land was kinda useless lol. The CS at Fabric land told us to go to ottawa street in Hamilton. Holly Mama! we went today and spent at least 5 hours in the various stores and I know there is more in Hamilton. the fabric land there was HUGE! I didn't look for mickey, however at the fabric land for sure I did see quite a bit of disney (Fairies, cars and princess) and I know I saw old fashioned looking mickey flannel. Give the Hamilton store a call if it isn't far from you.
Then again you probably live in alberta or someplace far!
I might just have to take a trip to Hamilton! I went to 2 of our 3 Fabriclands here and Lens Mill yesterday. What a bust that was. Absolutely no Disney fabrics at any of them and the one Fabricland where I found some material I wanted, the lady looked down her nose at me because I was buying clearance fabric. Not likely to go back there again anytime soon.

Hi Everyone!

Awesome! I need to do this to a pattern I have for a skirt for my older niece.

If you go to the first page of this thread you will find a tutorial on "hand applique" hand applique is actually done with a sewing machine. That would be a good way to do the heads without an applique machine.

Thanks, I actually did read that, and I pretty much already know all of that. I have done appliques just not the way I am trying to now. I only have a downloaded pic, not an actual applique, or a fancy machine to transfer the image to and let it sew it for me. Just a plain 'ol basic singer.
And I have never done an iron-on so I don't know if that would be just as sturdy as a fabric applique. Or if there is a way to get my pics transferred to fabric so I can make real appliques of them.
Some of the flags are far too intricate to try and cut out a different piece of fabric for each part.
Hmmm, maybe I'm not making it clear. Sorry I don't know how else to explain. Herrumpgh :(
I used the tut on the first page to do the Mickey face applique on my DS's bag on my basic Singer machine from a downloaded pic. I traced out the different parts on heat n bond and applied that to the different coloured materials and then applied them to my main material and zig zagged away. It actually isn't hard once you practice a few times.

My dd says Chip and Dale are her boyfriends:lmao: and they are the only characters other than the princesses that she will interact with, or even stand next to for a picture. So, I made this shirt for her yesterday. The hug I got for it was just priceless!!
1-28-12002.jpg

Need to do some sewing not just embroidery. Want to make some pj pants for the two older kiddos. hmmmmm....think I can ignore the to do list today:laundy:and sew instead?
Love the Chip and Dale shirt! And you can join me in ignoring :laundy: to sew today. Well, actually, I might throw a load on and then head to my machine, so I guess I'm not actually ignoring it. :)

Please share:worship: I tried that last year but I didn't get it quite right:rolleyes1

Sorry I was literally running out the door and I just had to tell somebody I was so excited..... I totally would love to share.

I got instructions on how to do the Duct Tape Double for DD from the book Sewing Clothes Kids Love BUT if you don't have the book you can go hear http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3659/clone-yourself-a-fitting-assistant/page/all there are also a ton of tutorials .....but you should SO have that book in your sewing library....

For the upsizing I used this tutorial http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/

This was a great reference chart as well.... It was spot on in my case....http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Th...arts_standard_measurements.html#ChildrenSizes

I printed out the upsizing instructions and the reference chart started an Upsizing binder/journal. You will need to write down what measurements you are using at each step. Expect to make minor adjustments to your muslins until you get the perfect fit.

I also got a tip on how to accommodate a bit of a tummy for a better fit....

Simply - add length to the center of the bodice (you'll have to play around with how much) and a little width to the last 2" of the side seams to flare out the side seams a bit....

OK sorry guys for such a long post, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions I am happy to help.......

Can't remember who posted upsizing the Simply Sweet, but I also would love it if you would share your secret. Thanks

That was me see my post a little further up......feel free to PM me with any
more questions...

So far I have finished the adjustments on the Jumper Bodice Empire waist. I'll post here what my experience was and how I fixed it since there seems to be others interested as well.

My only adjustment was the arm holes. After upsizing I found the arm holes more than 2" to big. To correct this I redrafted the pattern by removing the split in the arm hole area and adding that split evenly to the center and shoulder area. (since this patter doesn't have a shoulder seam (we add straps) this worked fine. See tutorials instructions regarding patterns with shoulder seams....I cut out another muslin and still had at least an 1" too much in the arm pit area even after sewing a 1/2" seam allowance. I then took the muslin and cut of 1" on each side seam to shorten the arm holes....THIS FIXED the problem...I went back to my redrafted pattern and cut 3"4 off the pattern side seam (leaving a 1"4 for a little extra room). I'll probably make another muslin to test it out and make sure it works. Then I am off to the Jumper pattern waistline.....

Good job, yours look great. Yes that is what I am trying to do but unfortunately I do not have an embroidery machine, maybe someday. I think I will do the Iron-on. I'm sure they will not be as pretty, but the Printable fabric I found is crazy expensive!!
Thanks

Thanks. I am actually toying around with the idea of trying to make the Canadian one into a patch (I just don't know if it will work) and sew it to backpacks, hats, etc. It may be a Canadian thing - we like to put our flag on our travel packs. It often serves as a conversation starter when we travel.

That skirt was very cute Flora!!!

Thanks Teresa. I still hope that I will get a chance to wear it! It will depend on the airfare in August. Right now we are looking at like $800-900 per person round trip, we would buy if it goes down to around $500 per person.

th_downsized_0125121451.jpg

Super cute outfit! I hear you on having ideas but no time!

Actually he has lucked out in a way. He has now had 4 bday cakes since his bday.

4 birthday cakes! Lucky boy!

th_1-28-12002.jpg

That shirt is super cute! I can't wait to see a picture of her with Chip and Dale!

Great job! I like the colours in the skirt. Ruffles are much easier with a ruffling foot, if you can find one for your machine. For me it was $30 well spent.

The bowling shirt is quite easy to put together, though it has been a while since I made one. I have shifted to patchwork twirl lately. (I blame Andrea for that one - she is the one who makes beautiful patchwork twirls)

I can't wait until we can see your pictures in larger sizes!

Sorry I was literally running out the door and I just had to tell somebody I was so excited..... I totally would love to share.

I got instructions on how to do the Duct Tape Double for DD from the book Sewing Clothes Kids Love BUT if you don't have the book you can go hear http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3659/clone-yourself-a-fitting-assistant/page/all there are also a ton of tutorials .....but you should SO have that book in your sewing library....

For the upsizing I used this tutorial http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/

This was a great reference chart as well.... It was spot on in my case....http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Th...arts_standard_measurements.html#ChildrenSizes

I printed out the upsizing instructions and the reference chart started an Upsizing binder/journal. You will need to write down what measurements you are using at each step. Expect to make minor adjustments to your muslins until you get the perfect fit.

I also got a tip on how to accommodate a bit of a tummy for a better fit....

Simply - add length to the center of the bodice (you'll have to play around with how much) and a little width to the last 2" of the side seams to flare out the side seams a bit....

OK sorry guys for such a long post, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions I am happy to help.......

Thanks for the links. I will add them to my library. I don't upsize often, and when I do, it is for the Gives. I am always nervous that they won't fit!

Thank you Tinkerbell3747!! I did a search and found that they make printable fabric!! Wow, guess they make everything now-a-days!! Whoop!

Thanks again!
Here's hoping the stuff works ;)

Yah!! I am so glad you found a solution! DD wants a skirt with all the flag mickey heads too....her list keeps growing...:scared1:

downsized_0125121451.jpg

Love the outfit....so cute. And i know what you mean about finding the time to sew. i can only work on projects between housework on the weekends and after work.

Thinking this afternoon might be the day I start organizing the studio...or cleaning the house...or maybe, just maybe...take a nap!

Seriously, I'm thinking of throwing a pity party instead! I really am bummed that I am missing the meet down in Disney this week. After it was too late, hubby told me I could have gone...he would front the bill for me. GRRR! Why couldn't he have told me earlier.

My plans for this weekend were to get buy with the shirts for our trip. Since hubby is working and the kids have a new Xbox game I figured I could get several hours of uninterrupted sewing done... guess not.

I do need to go put a button and button holes on an Aline so I can get the whole bunch listed. My DIL is going to take pictures for me on my new mannequin. And it looks like the weather might just cooperate today. A bit chilly but nice and sunny.

Nini

:hug::hug: Sneak in that nap and know that everything will work itself out. i bet after a nice nap you'll be able to figure things out.

Oh lalal a 6 needle machine lucky lucky girl....

1-28-12002.jpg

TO CUTE! I :lovestruc Chip and Dale too!

we were at wdw in May last year and i made minnie head tee's for my dgd's Kensliegh,Gracie 6 and Chloe 4...i used a skirt form the thrift store { $1!!} for the head and got petties on clearance at wallywolrd after halloween in the costume section! $2 each... they loved the outfits and looked so cute!
253695_218030868229407_100000674867225_676754_146109_n.jpg

hope this is inspiration for you!

Very Cute!

This is so pretty, love the fabric colors....reminds me of Easter kind of....

Thanks for the links. I will add them to my library. I don't upsize often, and when I do, it is for the Gives. I am always nervous that they won't fit!
I was glad i could be of some help to even just one person. I get so many tips and Ideas here...feels good to give back.:thumbsup2

Ok Ladies, I need some advice......please :)

I want to add a mickey head in each flag of the countries at epcot to a skirt. I have already saved a copy of some of the flags that someone was so kind to show me where to find them. Now, should I just print them on iron-transfer paper and iron them on?
Or is there a way to turn the picture into an actual applique that I can do a zig-zag border on (I don't have a fancy embrodery machine:( )
I thought of doing zig-zag on the iron-transfer, but then I figured since it is paper it would just get ruined trying that.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :D

- Or is there somewhere I can purchase the Flag Mickey Head appliques, not to expensive? That would really be great

I made Flag Mickey Head jeans for my trip.
Here's my photo-journal page so you can see a pic:
MyOutfitday2jpeg.jpg

I printed them on iron-on transfer paper (I fit two MHs per 8.5x11 sheet) and then ironed them on to the jeans. I don't have an embroidery machine either. If I had to do it again on denim, I'd probably save up and figure out a way to buy the patches or get with someone that has a machine that I could pay. However, if you want to make a skirt and plan on using cotton or cotton knit, you'd be fine. The only reason it's not working great on my jeans is the ridges in the denim make it hard to get a great application of the iron-on. Some of the edges are peeling up after washing. You definitely wouldn't want to satin stitch around the edge of the iron-on paper though!
As far as which brand of paper to buy for iron-on transfers, I HIGHLY recommend www.amymickey.com . Her paper is AWESOME (and I've tried several!) and I cannot say enough good things about it!!! Plus, she happens to be a fellow DISer ;)
Hope that helps! I agree with you, doing appliques of all the Epcot Flag MHs would be tough. . . I thought about it and then thought better of it!

downsized_0125121451.jpg

So cute!!!!

Okay y'all! QUESTION:

If you were going to make a "fake" corset top, would you shirr the back of it or would you do casings for a few rows of elastic? Think 6 year old girl. I'm sort of leaning towards the casings, only because I don't know if the shirring would be itchy? It will have a top to go underneath it though, so I don't know if that matters?:confused3
Which would be easier to do if I'm having to wing my pattern? The casings or the shirring?

Lexi loves it! I need to put on a ruffle to finish the hem, but I'm going to wait for some help from my mom. I'm awful at ruffles. I'm also thinking of a coordinating T-shirt with the Tinkerbell cupcake design from froufrou.

Glad your daughter loved the skirt. It looks great. So cute that your son asked you sew him something too! I don't like ruffles much so I often do a cuffed hem. I love them because it also eliminated the need to hem the skirt.

I made Flag Mickey Head jeans for my trip.
Here's my photo-journal page so you can see a pic:
MyOutfitday2jpeg.jpg

I printed them on iron-on transfer paper (I fit two MHs per 8.5x11 sheet) and then ironed them on to the jeans. I don't have an embroidery machine either. If I had to do it again on denim, I'd probably save up and figure out a way to buy the patches or get with someone that has a machine that I could pay. However, if you want to make a skirt and plan on using cotton or cotton knit, you'd be fine. The only reason it's not working great on my jeans is the ridges in the denim make it hard to get a great application of the iron-on. Some of the edges are peeling up after washing. You definitely wouldn't want to satin stitch around the edge of the iron-on paper though!
As far as which brand of paper to buy for iron-on transfers, I HIGHLY recommend www.amymickey.com . Her paper is AWESOME (and I've tried several!) and I cannot say enough good things about it!!! Plus, she happens to be a fellow DISer ;)
Hope that helps! I agree with you, doing appliques of all the Epcot Flag MHs would be tough. . . I thought about it and then thought better of it!

So cute!!!!

Okay y'all! QUESTION:

If you were going to make a "fake" corset top, would you shirr the back of it or would you do casings for a few rows of elastic? Think 6 year old girl. I'm sort of leaning towards the casings, only because I don't know if the shirring would be itchy? It will have a top to go underneath it though, so I don't know if that matters?:confused3
Which would be easier to do if I'm having to wing my pattern? The casings or the shirring?
I love the flag head Mickey jeans. They look great!

I think if you know how to do the shirring, it would work out to be easier and just as comfortable if there is going to be a top underneath it. My older daughter did not care much for shirring right against her skin when she was little but never minded when there was a top between her and the shirring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter