Disboutiquers Part 27 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

http://www.simplicity.com/p-6131-babies-sportswear.aspx

I want to make a romper/overalls out of a cotton Mickey fabric I got for my son... I found the pattern above is there any way I can make it so that the front and back piece are a solid piece of fabric and don't have the seam down the middle of the outfit? Like make the seams on the sides not the front and back.

I hope that makes since. You are all amazing with a sewing machine and I hope you can help me out.

TYIA
That's an adorable pattern. I just love jonjon rompers for little boys! I agree with what Sandi said to make a mock up of the pattern to see if you can get it to work out. It might look ok and it might not.
Very cool! I might need to get some yardsale items to experiment with (our Salvation Army usually has its clothes priced higher than what I can get on sale for brand new). I want to experiment with necklines. I'd like to be able to do the Olivia without a hood and I may need to try some of that fold over elastic to see if that would work well. For my dd's AG Olivia that I made I just lettuced the neckline and it looked cute. Not sure that would be adequate on a real person though as I worry the lettucing would stretch out the neckline a bit and alter the fit.
:)
Our Salvation Army is only cheap on 1/2 price Wednesdays. Besides that, if I shop carefully, then I get better deals new at a store. On the last upcycled dress that I did, I did use lettuce edging on the neckline. It looked cute but inside the neckline, about 3/4 inch, I added a very narrow strip of elastic to keep it close to the chest. That definitely gave it some shape. I really liked the fold over elastic. I even saw some Minnie Mouse patterned fold over elastic. We'll see what I have time to play with this week. Maybe I will get to try to upcycle another dress.

Grand Princess had a very successful surgery yesterday. It ended up lasting over an hour longer than we thought it would. They had to put a longer rod than they were expecting to (not sure why) and they had to put 2 pins in her ankle rather than one(again I don't know why) But the surgeon said they had a perfect angle on the foot and ankle and her foot is now perfectly straight. There is a 99% chance they won't have to do it again!

As to the washing fabric item...there are 3 main reasons to wash fabric first...as lots of people mentioned the shrinkage item. (that one is pretty much covered) the chemical item (which is really about 25 times worse than most people think...in fact you should always wash fabric for children ...if not before you sew, at least before you let them wear. Most of you aren't old enough to remember the problems back in the 70's...some of the chemicals they used to think were completely harmless were shown to cause cancer in children...all of the chemicals were used in the finishing of fabrics.

They did change the chemicals used. However, since then, more of the chemicals they changed to have been shown to be much worse. They are constantly trying to find new chemicals that can be used that are not harmful....with cheap being the biggest requirement. Add to that that most of the cotton fabric used in the US is no longer manufactured in the US and you run into a whole different problem with chemicals. Some of the smaller cotton mills now purchase the raw fabric overseas and then dye the fabric here...finding the finish on the fabric is harder to take the dye, they have to use more dyes and chemicals to get the fabric to 'take'

Which brings us to the third reason to wash your fabric... Bleeding. Until you at least test your fabric you will not know how the fabric will react to detergent and heat.

It only takes one fabric to shrink or bleed to ruin an outfit.

Nini

Glad your little princess is doing well after surgery. It sounds like they expect it to be very successful! What good news! Was she happy about her AG doll?

Thanks for the good information about why we should wash our fabric before we sew. I've only ever had one fabric run, but it was right on the front of an appliqued white shirt!

423199_10150612933596586_555471585_9396383_1953366654_n.jpg

423199_10150612933691586_555471585_9396388_795965510_n.jpg

thanks for looking ~Beth~

Love the picture of the kids in the capes! They turned out super. I am glad that the little boy who had brain surgery is doing well!

The Super Isaac outfit is adorable. You always find the best things at the thrift store and you are so super creative in repurposing them.1

So I have finished another day...The day that we eat at the San Angel Inn and hunt down Senor Donald.

429011_379994245353182_366965016656105_1390511_2004326498_n.jpg

423874_379994218686518_366965016656105_1390510_263941779_n.jpg

423742_379994292019844_366965016656105_1390512_120844257_n.jpg

423900_379994318686508_366965016656105_1390513_2006062179_n.jpg
Love the fiesta set. The appliques and fabrics are adorable. We love the ride in Mexico and looking for Donald. How many more days do you have to do?

The updated Cinderella:

IMAG0310.jpg

And Pocahontas:

IMAG0308.jpg
Both of those turned out great. Your dd in the Cinderella dress looks much happier with how it turned out. The Pocahontas dress looks great. You can just barely see the clear strap. You got great results!

Sorry if this has been asked. I searched through some of your posts, but there is just so much info.
How are y'all making these characters with different dresses on? For example, I really, really want a Minnie as Cinderella. Is there any way to get that as a patch or some type of applique that I can use to personalize an item and not already made onto an item.

Please PM if you have one available. :cloud9:
Most of the people who are making the characters are using embroidery machines to applique them. There are a few people who do them by hand. You just need to check on Etsy to find what you want.

Embroidery HELP!
Sorry for the drive by posting. I've been so busy lately. I should have known I'd never be able to keep up with all you ladies. There are soooo many cute things that have been posted.

I need some serious help. I started an embroidery design last night, but didn't finish. I left it hooped and just tried to pick up from where I left off and the stitches are not in the right place. They are about 1/8" off to the side. The design fills the hoop, so I can't adjust the layout. I can't figure out why this would happen. Has anybody done this before and is there a way to fix it or do I need to start completely over?

I've never had that happen before. Did you try turning the machine off and then turning it back on? If the design fills the hoop I am not sure what to suggest. If you unhoop the whole thing, it is sure to be a lost cause. Sorry I am not more help!

hello all ,gotta go back and catch up on some post but i wanted to share these pix while i was online...i finished all the SuperHero capes and gave them to the kids in my class to celebrate our lil friend who had his cerebellum operated on almost 3 weeks ago,he's back in school and right as rain! so good to have him back and the kids loved their capes and couldn't wit to take them home!
423199_10150612933596586_555471585_9396383_1953366654_n.jpg

and here is the super Isaac pj/play set i made for my dd's friend who is headed to wdw in 10 days! 1st trip and kids have no clue,they think they are going to Texas since they are gong with g'parents and g'parents mom lives there...lol Isaac is into any and all super heros and wears a pillowcase cape with pride...so i made him his own,i had the fabric in my stash,i think it was a toddler bed top sheet...thrift store find of course...anyway here it is,just a simple sewn on emblem on tee and cape...

423199_10150612933691586_555471585_9396388_795965510_n.jpg

thanks for looking ~Beth~
Those look amazing!
How exciting for your daughter's friend!!!!!

So I have finished another day...The day that we eat at the San Angel Inn and hunt down Senor Donald.

429011_379994245353182_366965016656105_1390511_2004326498_n.jpg

I love these!!!

The updated Cinderella:

th_IMAG0310.jpg

And Pocahontas:

th_IMAG0308.jpg

These look really good! Your daughter looks very pleased with the way you changed up her Cindy dress!! And, I love the Pocahontas!!! Great job!

Embroidery HELP!
Sorry for the drive by posting. I've been so busy lately. I should have known I'd never be able to keep up with all you ladies. There are soooo many cute things that have been posted.

I need some serious help. I started an embroidery design last night, but didn't finish. I left it hooped and just tried to pick up from where I left off and the stitches are not in the right place. They are about 1/8" off to the side. The design fills the hoop, so I can't adjust the layout. I can't figure out why this would happen. Has anybody done this before and is there a way to fix it or do I need to start completely over?

Could it have gotten bumped? Mind does that to me if I have to change the needle in the middle of a design. But, if I turn it off and then on again, it works itself out. You will need to advance to the spot you were at, but hopefully it will line up ok.

Sorry if this has been asked. I searched through some of your posts, but there is just so much info.
How are y'all making these characters with different dresses on? For example, I really, really want a Minnie as Cinderella. Is there any way to get that as a patch or some type of applique that I can use to personalize an item and not already made onto an item.

Please PM if you have one available. :cloud9:

I PMed you.

Ok, we will be moving shortly. PLESASE NO ONE TELL ANDREA until we are at page 20, ok?

Ok, it's that time again!

STOP POSTING HERE

We are going to do this very quietly ok? shhh.... don't let Andrea know we are moving yet.....

So, gather up your replies (hit the reply button here with your multiquotes and copy and paste that to the new thread) and let's sneak on out....
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2896055
tumblr_lm8uh8559m1qe481ao1_400.gif

pirate_carry_treasure_chest_off_lg_clr.gif
800690203_2658029467.gif
weasel_sneaking_sm_clr.gif

I'm bumping this up from a year ago with apologies :)

I'm working on matching shirts for our upcomming trip, and was looking for inspiration for epcot shirts when I ran across this skirt. Since I'm unable to PM (not enough posts), I'm hoping somone will help me out (pretty please!)

These designs are FABULOUS!!! and exactly what I have in mind. I have an embroidery machine too! Alas, even after searching high and low, I can't find anything close- free or paid :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I had to break the link so that I could even post the image. Take out the spaces. It is the World Showcase skirt by PurpleEars

Thank you so much!!!!!

Now I wish there is something like Ottawa Street near us, then again, maybe not because I will spend all my money there.

I didn't realize Joann's have offices in Ontario. I just thought they were in the US! I am glad to hear that you found some Disney fabric. I can't wait to see what you make!

Iron-on paper would be easier. I actually did something similar to your idea a few months ago, except I used my embroidery machine:

/albums/k608/Purple_Ears/Sewing%20projects/WorldShowcaseFront.jpg

Great job! I am glad that you had great success with upsizing!

It's been so long since I was a regular poster on here that I have forgotten the rules! But, if you would like to e-mail me at kiteheather@gmail.com, I can tell you where you can get the designs. :)

I'm bumping this up from a year ago with apologies :)

I'm working on matching shirts for our upcomming trip, and was looking for inspiration for epcot shirts when I ran across this skirt. Since I'm unable to PM (not enough posts), I'm hoping somone will help me out (pretty please!)

These designs are FABULOUS!!! and exactly what I have in mind. I have an embroidery machine too! Alas, even after searching high and low, I can't find anything close- free or paid :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I had to break the link so that I could even post the image. Take out the spaces. It is the World Showcase skirt by PurpleEars

Thank you so much!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter