Disboutiquers Part 26 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

When CP dolls first came out, I was teaching Pre-K in a private school in River Oaks in Houston. (Can you say millionaires? The parents paid more for tuition to a half-day program than I did for the University of Texas!) Two of my students formed a close friendship. One was the child of the president of a company. The other was the son of a maid who was valued by her employers so much they paid the tuition for her son to attend the school.

For Christmas that year both boys got CP dolls. Each one looked like the child's friend and actually had the same first name as the friend. Neither parent knew that the other was doing this. I have never forgotten the joy those boys had when they brought their dolls to school for Show & Tell the first day after the holiday. So many of the parents were snobby that it restored my faith in people to see that this family encouraged a friendship with their neighbor's maid's son (who was a very bright and well-behaved child.)

This came right after one parent told me that her developmentally-delayed child must be gotten ready for the entrance exams into kindergarten because he must go to Kincaid School. After all, the people he would meet there were far superior to public school children.

I still have 2 CPK somewhere...need to find them! I also had a fake one that my mom bought because she couldn't get her hands on a real one. My aunt got me my first real one. Stood in line at TRU and had to fight someone for it!

Here is my latest project...a coupon organizer. The pattern is by our very own Cathy! She is awesome! Can't wait to go grocery shopping and try it out!

Front:
DSCF0001.jpg

Inside:
DSCF0002-1.jpg

Back: Can attach to the buggy in the grocery store!
DSCF0003.jpg

Also, I am making my first rosetta bag today with these fabrics. I need one more color to offset it. Should I use red, white, or red with white polka dots? Off to Joanns to grab a magnetic clasp!
DSCF0005-2.jpg

I love the coupon organizer pretty.

Love the materials you picked for the bag. I would use red of some sort I think

Well, that is the last time I take 24 hours off the boards...hehe. I missed so much AND a move!!! Thanks for all the comments on my little man and his outfit!

The coupon organizer is so cute! I need one of those. :)

I loved! my CPKs. I remember one I bought had my middle name "Evelyn" and I was so ecstatic. I was upset when they came out with Garbage Pail Kids cards.. how rude! :) I'm with Nini, the new building is really wonderful and absolutely gorgeous but a big let down.. you would think with all that space they would have new stuff or changed things up a bit but it's all the exact same thing. My parents have a second home in Hayesville, NC so we go there a lot because it's on the way from south of ATL. But now you can have birthday parties and events there which is kinda cool.

Here's a pic of the new place in case y'all dont have time to search..
091121cabxmas1-Small.jpg

Maybe we should do a disboard meet there. :)

My daughter leaves today to go to her dad's for the last two weeks of summer... I get so bummed. Divorce sucks! Back to read what I missed. I need a moving buddy too... I need to add you folks to my facebook so I don't miss a move again... https://www.facebook.com/blyss.full.life

Since we live in N Georgia, we visit the CP Hospital all the time. They have a new big building off to them selves now...but I really liked the old hospital better. My GD4 doesn't really remember the older building, but she loves going to the new one.

I remember the first CP dolls that came out. All completely hand made. They were quite a bit larger than the dolls they have now. They were actual kids who wore a size 2 toddler clothes. Here in Georgia they were all the rage during the Christmas before my son was born, so that would have put it during the 1980 or maybe 1981 Holiday season. We were living in Missouri at the time but came home for Christmas. That Sunday morning, there were about 10 or 15 of those little dolls.

I fell in love with them right then and there. But I only had boy type kiddies, so I had to wait. My mother in law won one in a raffle for my oldest son. He was less than appreciative, and it lived at my MIL's house until she died. All the grand kids loved having it to play with.

After my daughter was born in 83, while they were still rare, she got about 4 of them for her first Christmas...of course, since we bought them at the PX, I had no clue how rare they were! Once I found out, I started making my own version of CPK...they were a hot seller for me. Every female child (and a couple of the adults) in our family got one of my hand made versions for Christmas in 84...

For my GD 2 birthday we HAD to get her her first REAL CP to take with us to Disney. It was crazy! Wal Mart had stopped selling them in some sort of dispute, and every Target store around had run out of them...so we drove up to Cleveland to the hospital to get one minutes before they closed...I called them and told them what was going on and they had one picked out for me and was waiting at the counter...

Nini

PS In addition to the Furkins, they also had Koosas...strange little animals/dolls. My boys each had one when we flew to Germany. By the time we got back (2 years) they had stopped making them.
Oh, I remember Koosas. I had one but don't really remember what it was. It looked a little like Chewbacca. :lmao:

I still have 2 CPK somewhere...need to find them! I also had a fake one that my mom bought because she couldn't get her hands on a real one. My aunt got me my first real one. Stood in line at TRU and had to fight someone for it!

Here is my latest project...a coupon organizer. The pattern is by our very own Cathy! She is awesome! Can't wait to go grocery shopping and try it out!

Front:
DSCF0001.jpg

Inside:
DSCF0002-1.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

Also, I am making my first rosetta bag today with these fabrics. I need one more color to offset it. Should I use red, white, or red with white polka dots? Off to Joanns to grab a magnetic clasp!
DSCF0005-2.jpg
Awesome coupon organizer. I have an organizer but never remember to take it with me when I go shopping. And when I do, it's a huge fail. I just don't have enough hands to manage the coupons and the kids and the cart. Maybe I need something like this.
Love the Rosetta fabrics. I think adding some red/white trim and maybe the middle ruffle red. Will help break it up. Or maybe just serge the bottom of the ruffles white and that might help break it up just enough.

I can't believe that I didn't make it on here until page 4 this time! I was tired last night so I went to bed early and then slept later than usual this morning.

I love the fabrics for the Rosetta bag. I think if I was making the bag, I might go with either the solid red or red with white polka dots.

Talking about Cabbage Patch Kids, I was too old for them when the craze hit. However, I was working at Bradlee's Department Store as a part time job. Part of my job was to keep the list of people who signed up to buy a doll and then contact them when a doll arrived for them. We kept the dolls locked up in the layaway room. When the people came to get their doll I got to bring out 3 dolls and the people got to choose one. At Christmas that year my brother worked at Montgomery Wards and they got a big shipment of the dolls just before Christmas. He called me up and told me about the dolls being there. I went in and bought 6 of them. I was able to sell them for $100 each, which paid for all my college textbooks that spring with a few dollars leftover for fun!
My mom got my first CPK at Bradlee's. We lived in MA at the time. Do they still exist?

I don't think I ever posted these outfits I made for a Give

Pink Cindy dress.
262626_10150228958808160_677208159_7375316_4233387_n.jpg

Belle (this one is teensie tiny!)
264873_10150228958853160_677208159_7375317_4678679_n.jpg

and Cinderella for the Wish Girl

271059_10150228958888160_677208159_7375318_217515_n.jpg

I got the Cindy material at a garage sale last summer. To me, it looks a lot like the Cinderella fabric they use in the parks. It's kind of brocadish.

I wish I had more, I would love to make one for Lyddie out of it.

Speaking of Lyddie, I was going to have her model the dress for me, but when I went to look for her, this is what I found:

269403_10150228958708160_677208159_7375312_1797488_n.jpg

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
The dresses are TDF. I really love the blue Cindy one. Gorgeous. :worship:
And :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:at Lyddie. Pure summer fun. :lmao:

My Aunt tells me the story of when the CPK first came out and how her and my grandmother waited in line for HOURS to try and get me one. I think I was only a year old and obviously didn't even know what a CPK was :rotfl2: But they felt the need to get me a CPK. I ended up with quite a few CPK and my brother even had one that was all plastic and dressed in a swimsuit. I was excited with the 25th anniversary dolls came out, I was pregnant with my daughter and bought her two... I wasn't sure if she was going to look like me or my DH, so I bought a doll that looked like me and one that looked like him, and of course she is 50/50 mix of us both, haha.

I finished my first feliz for my DD who is turning 2 next month. We are having her a Pink Poodle in Paris theme party :)

270533_10150223881858600_508303599_7436265_5048046_n.jpg

261481_10150223881113600_508303599_7436259_3331060_n.jpg

260449_10150223881168600_508303599_7436260_6479056_n.jpg

Made it!

My Aunt tells me the story of when the CPK first came out and how her and my grandmother waited in line for HOURS to try and get me one. I think I was only a year old and obviously didn't even know what a CPK was :rotfl2: But they felt the need to get me a CPK. I ended up with quite a few CPK and my brother even had one that was all plastic and dressed in a swimsuit. I was excited with the 25th anniversary dolls came out, I was pregnant with my daughter and bought her two... I wasn't sure if she was going to look like me or my DH, so I bought a doll that looked like me and one that looked like him, and of course she is 50/50 mix of us both, haha.

I finished my first feliz for my DD who is turning 2 next month. We are having her a Pink Poodle in Paris theme party :)

Love it! The fabrics are so pretty! :goodvibes

Seems like CPK have been a part of my life forever. My Grandpa used to tell my cousins an I that we were came from his cabbage patch. (So I guess we were the "original CPK").

I got my first CPK at the height of the craze. My mother never would have spent the time or money to get me one, she spend her time giving me newspaper articles about all the crazy things were doing to get their kids a CPK. I had enough articles to fill a scrap book. (Although she now buys really nasty CPK at garage sales and mails them to me LOL)

My dad however sent me money and told me I could get whatever I wanted. One day at a flea market, we found a guy selling NIB CPK (at REALLY inflated prices-always makes me made when people do that). I wanted that doll so bad I paid 85.00 for her. My sister had to physically protect me to get out of the market as people were trying to grab the doll out of my hands. It was really scary. But we got her to the car. I still have her today.

So when DD came home, we knew she needed a CPK. She was greeted at the airport with an asian CPK that shared her birthday.

And you did an AWESOME job digitizing exactly what I wanted! I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!!! I told my husband I want to frame that dress because I am so proud of myself :rotfl:
You should be proud!! The Feliz is a tough and time consuming pattern! I think the dress will last a while too...my daughter can still easily fit in the one I made her about 1.5 years ago!

Here's a fuzzy picture of my brother and I the year I got my first CPK (you can see her on the floor.) Her name is Bernice and I also had a girl from that same era named Marcella*. I believe this is 1985.

picture086.jpg

When I was older I got 3 more; a girl that had a mechanism inside her that made her "burp," a girl that had a mechanism inside her that made her "kiss" and one of the full plastic ones whose skin colour changed in the sun. I think their names were Jessie, Valerie and Teri. I recently gave 2 of the newer ones to a family friend because we just sold my childhood home and I didn't have enough room to store all of them, but I kept the two older ones. The suntanning one is long gone after being left outside one winter (oops!) While packing up my house I happened upon a sewing pattern that my grandmother had to make clothes for the dolls (and a pattern for the doll itself) and somewhere out there exists a photo of me and Marcella in matching dresses. Strangely, 3 of my 5 dolls have red hair....maybe, subconsciously, I've always been jealous of my brother's hair colour!

*About 20 years after referring to her as Marcella, my mom informed me that she thinks her name is actually Marcelle but that Marcella was easier to say for a 2 year old. What?? All this time I've been living a lie!

Wow, that was way more than anyone needed to know about my CPK dolls....carry on.

That dres is absolutely gorgeous.

Pink Cindy dress.

I got the Cindy material at a garage sale last summer. To me, it looks a lot like the Cinderella fabric they use in the parks. It's kind of brocadish.

Speaking of Lyddie, I was going to have her model the dress for me, but when I went to look for her, this is what I found:

All the dresses are stunning!!! I do love that Cindy fabric -- did you get a good deal on it. I NEVER find fabric at yard sales. I only go about once every two months, but still!

I don't understand why you didn't want Lyddie to model for you:confused3
My dd, on the other hand, saw the photo and said "I can't believe she posted that picture on the web!" :rotfl2:

When CP dolls first came out, I was teaching Pre-K in a private school in River Oaks in Houston. (Can you say millionaires? The parents paid more for tuition to a half-day program than I did for the University of Texas!) Two of my students formed a close friendship. One was the child of the president of a company. The other was the son of a maid who was valued by her employers so much they paid the tuition for her son to attend the school.

For Christmas that year both boys got CP dolls. Each one looked like the child's friend and actually had the same first name as the friend. Neither parent knew that the other was doing this. I have never forgotten the joy those boys had when they brought their dolls to school for Show & Tell the first day after the holiday. So many of the parents were snobby that it restored my faith in people to see that this family encouraged a friendship with their neighbor's maid's son (who was a very bright and well-behaved child.)

This came right after one parent told me that her developmentally-delayed child must be gotten ready for the entrance exams into kindergarten because he must go to Kincaid School. After all, the people he would meet there were far superior to public school children.
That is a dear story about the children. DD has the sweetest friend that lives behind our neighborhood on this old street with three old, very tiny homes. She is being raised by her grandmother as she got to pick where to live (the mother of the child is not in the picture at all). While I don't let my dd go to her house (I don't know the grandmother and they have pit bulls which scares me) we welcome the girl into our home to play. She is well mannered and very bright. We have a large home in a decent neighborhood, so the girl must think she's in a palace when she comes over to play. I was very sad last year though when I was making the kids their Halloween costumes and she told me how lucky they were that I was able to sew for them.

Well, that is the last time I take 24 hours off the boards...hehe. I missed so much AND a move!!! Thanks for all the comments on my little man and his outfit!

The coupon organizer is so cute! I need one of those. :)

I loved! my CPKs. I remember one I bought had my middle name "Evelyn" and I was so ecstatic. I was upset when they came out with Garbage Pail Kids cards.. how rude! :) I'm with Nini, the new building is really wonderful and absolutely gorgeous but a big let down.. you would think with all that space they would have new stuff or changed things up a bit but it's all the exact same thing. My parents have a second home in Hayesville, NC so we go there a lot because it's on the way from south of ATL. But now you can have birthday parties and events there which is kinda cool.

091121cabxmas1-Small.jpg

My daughter leaves today to go to her dad's for the last two weeks of summer... I get so bummed. Divorce sucks! Back to read what I missed. I need a moving buddy too... I need to add you folks to my facebook so I don't miss a move again... https://www.facebook.com/blyss.full.life
The new hospital looks awesome from the outside! I liked the old one on the inside and truth be told, I don't even recall what it looked like on the outside but I don't remember it being that bad.

Sad that your dd will be away for two weeks -- I often think about how hard that has to be and it helps me stay married! I have a couple of friends that live overseas that are going through divorces right now and they have kids the same ages as mine and it really makes me feel for the kids. I also have a divorced friend that I begged to get divorced to save her children! It can go both ways. Make the best of your dd's time away and you can have a nice reunion in two weeks.

GORGEOUS!!!!! I :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc the appliques and adore the fabric. Please, please, pretty please share with me where you got that fabric. ETA: THink I found the fabric -- Robert Kaufmann

Front:
DSCF0001.jpg

Inside:
DSCF0002-1.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0005-2.jpg
LOVE the organizer! It turned out so cute! The bag is going to be darling. :)

The dress turned out amazing:thumbsup2. Fantastic job.

I'm off to take some pics of the stuff I made yesterday, then sew some more. :lovestruc this morning we were at Walmart and they had a ton of fabric I don't have back at mine...that was NOT a good thing for my wallet! :rotfl2:

I thought I should post on here to let you know that I'm still alive! I don't think I ever made it over to Part 25. Such a shame!

Here are some things I've made since I last posted. I made this dress for
Tessa out of the wrap top and dress from YCMT:
249548_2051954548451_1532147504_32199255_4055267_a.jpg
251683_2051954788457_1532147504_32199256_1580201_a.jpg

250543_2051955028463_1532147504_32199257_4954429_a.jpg
247868_2051955188467_1532147504_32199258_973555_a.jpg

Sawyer's 5th birthday outfit by special request:
283923_2197093096824_1532147504_32317753_833346_a.jpg

He just LOVES getting his picture taken. ;)
270458_2197094136850_1532147504_32317757_2010950_a.jpg

I reupholstered the couch in my camper and made new slip covers for the cushions in the dinette! I put picture frames over the ugly upolstered pieces between the cabinets and replaced the totally 80's cabinet doors. We put in pergo flooring instead of carpet and painted the paneling. I also Embroidered the letters of our last name on some fabric and put them into a frame to hang over the fridge.

Before:

66281_1624032010655_1532147504_31521389_2862480_a.jpg
44888_1624032290662_1532147504_31521390_5772212_a.jpg

33699_1624033530693_1532147504_31521396_3021280_a.jpg
71616_1624033010680_1532147504_31521393_3067125_a.jpg

After:

248992_2071222590140_1532147504_32223663_2404251_a.jpg
260495_2071223390160_1532147504_32223666_3319993_a.jpg

253520_2071223830171_1532147504_32223668_6682089_a.jpg
255118_2071224190180_1532147504_32223669_7315670_a.jpg

247971_2071224350184_1532147504_32223670_339441_a.jpg
254434_2071224750194_1532147504_32223671_6981252_a.jpg

I thought I should post on here to let you know that I'm still alive! I don't think I ever made it over to Part 25. Such a shame!

I reupholstered the couch in my camper and made new slip covers for the cushions in the dinette! I put picture frames over the ugly upolstered pieces between the cabinets and replaced the totally 80's cabinet doors. We put in pergo flooring instead of carpet and painted the paneling. I also Embroidered the letters of our last name on some fabric and put them into a frame to hang over the fridge.

Before:

After:

BIGGER pictures please!!!

Love Tessa's dress! Sawyer's outfit looks cute but I really can't see it that well:rolleyes:

I can't believe your camper makeover!!!! You need to go on HGTV!!!

All right, back to cleaning now. Must clean before sewing, must clean before sewing, must clean before sewing.......

Must stop taking Disbout breaks and keep cleaning, must stop taking Disbout breaks and keep cleaning, must stop taking Disbout breaks and keep cleaning......

GORGEOUS!!!!! I :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc the appliques and adore the fabric. Please, please, pretty please share with me where you got that fabric. ETA: THink I found the fabric -- Robert Kaufmann

Thank you! :) Yes, it is the Vive Le France line by Robert Kaufman. The pink dot was just some random fabric I found at a quilting store here in Houston. :) I was so happy to find the Paris fabric! It was pricey, but worth it!

Thanks for all the compliments on the coupon organizer!:grouphug: It was really easy to make and it is on Cathy's blog. I made a mistake of running to Walmart to pick up something for dinner and found all their fabric marked down even more! The solid 2 yard packs were $1.48 and the pattern 2yard packs were $1.98! So, needless to say I bought a few! Even the employee in the next aisle was shocked! I was just there Tuesday and they had gone back up from their $5 sale price.

This came out beautiful! I love the Feliz. I was so intimidated the first time I put it away for years! Then last year I made 2 in a week!

Before:

After:

You have been busy! (Of course I have seen these pics somewhere else!) I love that wrap dress. I have the pattern and the material picked out...eventually I will get it done1

Pink Cindy dress.

:

Love the dresses, but love the mud picture the best! That was so me as a child!

th_091121cabxmas1-Small.jpg

Thanks for the picture!!!

I'm sorry your daughter will be gone for two weeks. I don't know how I could handle that. :hug:

The Feliz is gorgeous!!!! I was going to say that I have that embroidery file, but I see Froggy made it for you! It's really cute!

Seems like CPK have been a part of my life forever. My Grandpa used to tell my cousins an I that we were came from his cabbage patch. (So I guess we were the "original CPK").

I got my first CPK at the height of the craze. My mother never would have spent the time or money to get me one, she spend her time giving me newspaper articles about all the crazy things were doing to get their kids a CPK. I had enough articles to fill a scrap book. (Although she now buys really nasty CPK at garage sales and mails them to me LOL)

My dad however sent me money and told me I could get whatever I wanted. One day at a flea market, we found a guy selling NIB CPK (at REALLY inflated prices-always makes me made when people do that). I wanted that doll so bad I paid 85.00 for her. My sister had to physically protect me to get out of the market as people were trying to grab the doll out of my hands. It was really scary. But we got her to the car. I still have her today.

So when DD came home, we knew she needed a CPK. She was greeted at the airport with an asian CPK that shared her birthday.

There you go making me get all teary!!! I love the Jord story.

Good for your sister being your bodyguard getting you and your doll safely out of the flea market! And, that was nice of your Dad sending you the money! No comment about your Mom.

Here's a fuzzy picture of my brother and I the year I got my first CPK (you can see her on the floor.) Her name is Bernice and I also had a girl from that same era named Marcella*. I believe this is 1985.

th_picture086.jpg

When I was older I got 3 more; a girl that had a mechanism inside her that made her "burp," a girl that had a mechanism inside her that made her "kiss" and one of the full plastic ones whose skin colour changed in the sun. I think their names were Jessie, Valerie and Teri. I recently gave 2 of the newer ones to a family friend because we just sold my childhood home and I didn't have enough room to store all of them, but I kept the two older ones. The suntanning one is long gone after being left outside one winter (oops!) While packing up my house I happened upon a sewing pattern that my grandmother had to make clothes for the dolls (and a pattern for the doll itself) and somewhere out there exists a photo of me and Marcella in matching dresses. Strangely, 3 of my 5 dolls have red hair....maybe, subconsciously, I've always been jealous of my brother's hair colour!

*About 20 years after referring to her as Marcella, my mom informed me that she thinks her name is actually Marcelle but that Marcella was easier to say for a 2 year old. What?? All this time I've been living a lie!

Wow, that was way more than anyone needed to know about my CPK dolls....carry on.

Cute picture!!!! And funny about Marcella/ Marcelle!

249548_2051954548451_1532147504_32199255_4055267_n.jpg

283923_2197093096824_1532147504_32317753_833346_n.jpg

270458_2197094136850_1532147504_32317757_2010950_n.jpg

Before:

44888_1624032290662_1532147504_31521390_5772212_n.jpg

After:

248992_2071222590140_1532147504_32223663_2404251_n.jpg

260495_2071223390160_1532147504_32223666_3319993_n.jpg

247971_2071224350184_1532147504_32223670_339441_n.jpg

254434_2071224750194_1532147504_32223671_6981252_n.jpg

I love Tessa in that dress!!!! It is so pretty!!!

Sawyer just cracks me up, he's so cute!!!

And your camper is just AMAZING!!! You really did such a wonderful job on it!

Thanks for all the compliments on the coupon organizer!:grouphug: It was really easy to make and it is on Cathy's blog. I made a mistake of running to Walmart to pick up something for dinner and found all their fabric marked down even more! The solid 2 yard packs were $1.48 and the pattern 2yard packs were $1.98! So, needless to say I bought a few! Even the employee in the next aisle was shocked! I was just there Tuesday and they had gone back up from their $5 sale price.

This came out beautiful! I love the Feliz. I was so intimidated the first time I put it away for years! Then last year I made 2 in a week!

You have been busy! (Of course I have seen these pics somewhere else!) I love that wrap dress. I have the pattern and the material picked out...eventually I will get it done1

Love the dresses, but love the mud picture the best! That was so me as a child!

That pink Cindy dress is incredible!!! :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter