Disboutiquers Part 26 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Well I made it. Surprised to see the thread closed up. Need to go back and see what I missed.:goodvibes

Since we live in N Georgia, we visit the CP Hospital all the time. They have a new big building off to them selves now...but I really liked the old hospital better. My GD4 doesn't really remember the older building, but she loves going to the new one.

I remember the first CP dolls that came out. All completely hand made. They were quite a bit larger than the dolls they have now. They were actual kids who wore a size 2 toddler clothes. Here in Georgia they were all the rage during the Christmas before my son was born, so that would have put it during the 1980 or maybe 1981 Holiday season. We were living in Missouri at the time but came home for Christmas. That Sunday morning, there were about 10 or 15 of those little dolls.

I fell in love with them right then and there. But I only had boy type kiddies, so I had to wait. My mother in law won one in a raffle for my oldest son. He was less than appreciative, and it lived at my MIL's house until she died. All the grand kids loved having it to play with.

After my daughter was born in 83, while they were still rare, she got about 4 of them for her first Christmas...of course, since we bought them at the PX, I had no clue how rare they were! Once I found out, I started making my own version of CPK...they were a hot seller for me. Every female child (and a couple of the adults) in our family got one of my hand made versions for Christmas in 84...

For my GD 2 birthday we HAD to get her her first REAL CP to take with us to Disney. It was crazy! Wal Mart had stopped selling them in some sort of dispute, and every Target store around had run out of them...so we drove up to Cleveland to the hospital to get one minutes before they closed...I called them and told them what was going on and they had one picked out for me and was waiting at the counter...

Nini

PS In addition to the Furkins, they also had Koosas...strange little animals/dolls. My boys each had one when we flew to Germany. By the time we got back (2 years) they had stopped making them.
I have two of the big dolls. One I got in WI and the other was from Babyland General. I had to raise my hand and say the oath to adopt her!

I couldn't remember the name of Koosas. I think I have two of those. They also had a set of twins for the olympics that were special. I think they are porcelain. I do not have them, but my my sister does.

Does Babyland General still exist? I went about 15 years ago -- we made a special trip there on the way home from Disney!

Bunny bees, were a bunny looking bee thing they made. I only ever saw them in GA so no idea if they made it elsewhere. i loved my little bunny bee and his adorable shoes! I still have him in my sewing room closet!

I think I got my first for Christmas. I was saving my $ and when I had enough of course they were no where to be found. My mom and dad drove quite a ways to a persons basement to get me one. She had walls and walls of them my mom said. I remember she was $50 and that was way more $ then I ever got. I was in Kindergarten.

After that I got one for my bday or christmas for a while. I LOVED loved loved them! And wanted a boy with a pacifier. My mom was so against him for some reason and you know he is my favorite, Tyrone was his name.

I got one from Babyland General right before Dallas was born. He was the classic look of the old ones (in the box from stores, not from there) right before they came out with them again looking that way. I got to name him since he was from there. I named him Hunter because we saw the movie The Rookie the night before and I fell in love! I could guess his middle name is Dallas but I am not positive now.

And Dallas has one, Troy Dallas. But he is in the box. I think he has one open too, wonder what his name is. And i have a one from most of Walmart's black friday's babies but they kept being not nearly as cute each year. I loved the babies because they smelled like baby powder. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of Dallas with one I made an outfit for. Fits right along in this thread, just not sure where the pic is.

I didn't realize there was a new building for Babyland. I'll have to check it out. We almost went a few months ago when we were camping up there but Dallas had no interest (of course) and I decided we could just skip it. Now I want to go and I think he should go atleast once in his life.

Since I can't quote from the last thread I wanted to say a big :welcome: to DoRRRine :lmao: She is just beautiful:cloud9:

stuff006.jpg

----

All of you that had "REAL" CBK are lucky. :rolleyes1Mine was a knockoff because my parents couldn't find any of the real ones. They looked the same but was missing the Xavier signature on the but. So what was a girl to do, well I tried forging it but it never looked really authentic so I could never change her clothes in front of anyone:rotfl2: Her name was Alexandria. I think she is still at my moms.

My brother had the preemie and his name was Michael. My DD took her home and is somewhere in this house. Can't remember if he was real or not.:rotfl:

I have two of the big dolls. One I got in WI and the other was from Babyland General. I had to raise my hand and say the oath to adopt her!

I couldn't remember the name of Koosas. I think I have two of those. They also had a set of twins for the olympics that were special. I think they are porcelain. I do not have them, but my my sister does.

Does Babyland General still exist? I went about 15 years ago -- we made a special trip there on the way home from Disney!

Babyland General still is there...just in a new and 'improved' building. It isn't really in town any more. It is out by itself... like you were going to an industrial park. I will say it has a really impressive view of the building as you arrive...but once you get inside it is a bit of a let down! It just doesn't have the 'feel' that the old one had... (but it does have MUCH BETTER bathrooms!)

Nini

Oh man, go to bed early and I missed the move. How sad that thread 25 will not have the fun little post with the link to the new thread.

Dorrrine is just beautiful. I'm glad you finally revealed your big purchase because you were making us crazy!!!

Love all the CPK stories and memories.

Ohhh...a new thread!!

Just wanted to post a big THANKS for the answers on the pleating question. Looks like I'll need to get a ruffler foot. Dh will be so excited! :laughing:

:wave2: part 26

I realize the pressure is on for the first outfit I make for DoRRRine. :scared:

Won't it be ironic if she turns out to be a nudist. :o

:upsidedow

I still have 2 CPK somewhere...need to find them! I also had a fake one that my mom bought because she couldn't get her hands on a real one. My aunt got me my first real one. Stood in line at TRU and had to fight someone for it!

Here is my latest project...a coupon organizer. The pattern is by our very own Cathy! She is awesome! Can't wait to go grocery shopping and try it out!

Front:
DSCF0001.jpg

Inside:
DSCF0002-1.jpg

Back: Can attach to the buggy in the grocery store!
DSCF0003.jpg

Also, I am making my first rosetta bag today with these fabrics. I need one more color to offset it. Should I use red, white, or red with white polka dots? Off to Joanns to grab a magnetic clasp!
DSCF0005-2.jpg

PS In addition to the Furkins, they also had Koosas...strange little animals/dolls. My boys each had one when we flew to Germany. By the time we got back (2 years) they had stopped making them.

OOOHHHH!!!! I had a Koosas! I loved that thing! I was a cross between a lion, tiger, and CPK!

I also had a horse. :) I got one when they were at the height of their popularity. My parents went to Tennessee, walked in a store and said there was a huge shelf of them, just sitting there (evidently they were more popular some places than others!) Heidi went a lot of places with me. I also got a preemie, and later, one with the 'corn silk' hair that you could style. :) Loved my CPK!

Well, it seems like instead of moving we were evicted! Now to go find the old thread and see what I missed.

yep, I went to bed 20 min before the lock-out. page 4 here I am:eek: Off to get the kids busy doing something so I can sew this am.

:wave2: part 26

I realize the pressure is on for the first outfit I make for DoRRRine. :scared:

Won't it be ironic if she turns out to be a nudist. :o

:upsidedow
Tell her not to follow in Samantha's footsteps and keep DoRRRine properly attired. I really should dress Sam as my dd is having an overnight guest tomorrow.

I still have 2 CPK somewhere...need to find them! I also had a fake one that my mom bought because she couldn't get her hands on a real one. My aunt got me my first real one. Stood in line at TRU and had to fight someone for it!

Here is my latest project...a coupon organizer. The pattern is by our very own Cathy! She is awesome! Can't wait to go grocery shopping and try it out!

Front:
th_DSCF0001.jpg

Inside:
th_DSCF0002-1.jpg

Back: Can attach to the buggy in the grocery store!
th_DSCF0003.jpg

Also, I am making my first rosetta bag today with these fabrics. I need one more color to offset it. Should I use red, white, or red with white polka dots? Off to Joanns to grab a magnetic clasp!
th_DSCF0005-2.jpg
You are going to be coupon queen! I barely ever use coupons for grocery shopping and always forget to take any I have. I also always seem to miss the peel off ones. I just bought dog food and when I was emptying the bag into my containers is when I saw the $2 instant off. Grrr!!

I think with all those fabrics being so similar I might offset it with two colors. I have to look at things together though. I am pretty good with combinations, but I would have to hold those three fabrics up to others to see what would work best.

I can't believe that I didn't make it on here until page 4 this time! I was tired last night so I went to bed early and then slept later than usual this morning.

I love the fabrics for the Rosetta bag. I think if I was making the bag, I might go with either the solid red or red with white polka dots.

Talking about Cabbage Patch Kids, I was too old for them when the craze hit. However, I was working at Bradlee's Department Store as a part time job. Part of my job was to keep the list of people who signed up to buy a doll and then contact them when a doll arrived for them. We kept the dolls locked up in the layaway room. When the people came to get their doll I got to bring out 3 dolls and the people got to choose one. At Christmas that year my brother worked at Montgomery Wards and they got a big shipment of the dolls just before Christmas. He called me up and told me about the dolls being there. I went in and bought 6 of them. I was able to sell them for $100 each, which paid for all my college textbooks that spring with a few dollars leftover for fun!

I definitely need a moving buddy next time! I actually had trouble finding our new home!

I had posted my looong CPK reply on the last thread and then it wouldn't go through since the thread got closed.

Yes, they had the CPK with teeth, glasses, holding crayons, pacifiers....

They made clowns, ringmasters, foreign dolls (I have a Spanish boy -- I believe they had Scottish, Spanish, Chinese and ????), dolls whose hair you could style, baseball players, dolls riding horses, the pets as Teresa mentioned, premies, newborns, ones that were all rubber wearing swim attire or bathrobes.

They also came out with Furkins (I think that's what they were called) which were bears.

And after mentioning the CPK holding crayons I am just sick thinking about it. Mine are all in the attic. It is often over 100 degrees here. I fear my crayons were still in the dolls' hands when they got packed and now may be melted over the dolls.

I probably have 20-30 dolls. I really should go pull them out this fall and see what kind of shape they are in. 10+ years in the attic have likely done them no favors. My porcelain dolls are stored in dd's closet so they should be fine.

Oh, and didn't hey have CPK dressed in bunny suits too? I think I might have one of those. And lets not forget the twins. I have two sets of twins -- a boy and girl and a set of boys wearing these cute little animal costumes -- maybe deer or moose -- I can't quite remember.

And sad to say, i was 19 years old when CPK came out!

So, you are a just a little older than me. Good to know. :thumbsup2
You need to go rescue your CPKs in the attic!!!!!! Mine are in my basement, and the humidity down there does them no favors. I need to clean them up and post some pictures.

Since we live in N Georgia, we visit the CP Hospital all the time. They have a new big building off to them selves now...but I really liked the old hospital better. My GD4 doesn't really remember the older building, but she loves going to the new one.

I remember the first CP dolls that came out. All completely hand made. They were quite a bit larger than the dolls they have now. They were actual kids who wore a size 2 toddler clothes. Here in Georgia they were all the rage during the Christmas before my son was born, so that would have put it during the 1980 or maybe 1981 Holiday season. We were living in Missouri at the time but came home for Christmas. That Sunday morning, there were about 10 or 15 of those little dolls.

I fell in love with them right then and there. But I only had boy type kiddies, so I had to wait. My mother in law won one in a raffle for my oldest son. He was less than appreciative, and it lived at my MIL's house until she died. All the grand kids loved having it to play with.

After my daughter was born in 83, while they were still rare, she got about 4 of them for her first Christmas...of course, since we bought them at the PX, I had no clue how rare they were! Once I found out, I started making my own version of CPK...they were a hot seller for me. Every female child (and a couple of the adults) in our family got one of my hand made versions for Christmas in 84...

For my GD 2 birthday we HAD to get her her first REAL CP to take with us to Disney. It was crazy! Wal Mart had stopped selling them in some sort of dispute, and every Target store around had run out of them...so we drove up to Cleveland to the hospital to get one minutes before they closed...I called them and told them what was going on and they had one picked out for me and was waiting at the counter...

Nini

I didn't know they still had the hospital! I need to go there! I think the fist time I heard of CPK was on the show "Real People" does anyone remember that show? I loved it!

I also love hearing about everyone's dollies! Jorge was a Koosa.

Bunny bees, were a bunny looking bee thing they made. I only ever saw them in GA so no idea if they made it elsewhere. i loved my little bunny bee and his adorable shoes! I still have him in my sewing room closet!

I think I got my first for Christmas. I was saving my $ and when I had enough of course they were no where to be found. My mom and dad drove quite a ways to a persons basement to get me one. She had walls and walls of them my mom said. I remember she was $50 and that was way more $ then I ever got. I was in Kindergarten.

After that I got one for my bday or christmas for a while. I LOVED loved loved them! And wanted a boy with a pacifier. My mom was so against him for some reason and you know he is my favorite, Tyrone was his name.

I got one from Babyland General right before Dallas was born. He was the classic look of the old ones (in the box from stores, not from there) right before they came out with them again looking that way. I got to name him since he was from there. I named him Hunter because we saw the movie The Rookie the night before and I fell in love! I could guess his middle name is Dallas but I am not positive now.

And Dallas has one, Troy Dallas. But he is in the box. I think he has one open too, wonder what his name is. And i have a one from most of Walmart's black friday's babies but they kept being not nearly as cute each year. I loved the babies because they smelled like baby powder. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of Dallas with one I made an outfit for. Fits right along in this thread, just not sure where the pic is.

Aww, how nice of your parents to go hunting down a CPK for you!!!! And, I always forget how much younger than me you are!

Since I can't quote from the last thread I wanted to say a big :welcome: to DoRRRine :lmao: She is just beautiful:cloud9:

th_stuff006.jpg

----

All of you that had "REAL" CBK are lucky. :rolleyes1Mine was a knockoff because my parents couldn't find any of the real ones. They looked the same but was missing the Xavier signature on the but. So what was a girl to do, well I tried forging it but it never looked really authentic so I could never change her clothes in front of anyone:rotfl2: Her name was Alexandria. I think she is still at my moms.

THAT was TOOOOO funny!!!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Front:
th_DSCF0001.jpg

th_DSCF0005-2.jpg

The coupon organizer is cute!!! Is Cathy selling the pattern, or is it on her blog?

Honestly, I don't think you need another fabric. I like the looks of those together. But, if you are going for another one....hmmm... I was going to say the polka dots, but I'm not sure without seeing it all together. I do love the fabrics you've got so far though, so I'm sure it will look great!

OOOHHHH!!!! I had a Koosas! I loved that thing! I was a cross between a lion, tiger, and CPK!

I also had a horse. :) I got one when they were at the height of their popularity. My parents went to Tennessee, walked in a store and said there was a huge shelf of them, just sitting there (evidently they were more popular some places than others!) Heidi went a lot of places with me. I also got a preemie, and later, one with the 'corn silk' hair that you could style. :) Loved my CPK!

I forgot about the horses!!!!! Heather had a horse. She named him Charlie. :rotfl: My Mom still has him at her house.

I can't believe that I didn't make it on here until page 4 this time! I was tired last night so I went to bed early and then slept later than usual this morning.

I love the fabrics for the Rosetta bag. I think if I was making the bag, I might go with either the solid red or red with white polka dots.

Talking about Cabbage Patch Kids, I was too old for them when the craze hit. However, I was working at Bradlee's Department Store as a part time job. Part of my job was to keep the list of people who signed up to buy a doll and then contact them when a doll arrived for them. We kept the dolls locked up in the layaway room. When the people came to get their doll I got to bring out 3 dolls and the people got to choose one. At Christmas that year my brother worked at Montgomery Wards and they got a big shipment of the dolls just before Christmas. He called me up and told me about the dolls being there. I went in and bought 6 of them. I was able to sell them for $100 each, which paid for all my college textbooks that spring with a few dollars leftover for fun!

What a nice thing for your brother to do!! And nice that you got to make some money.

Did people ever get mad at you for only having 3 dolls to chose from? Or did you let them tell you what they wanted and bring out something close?
I definitely need a moving buddy next time! I actually had trouble finding our new home!

I posted on Facebook! ;)

Ok note to self....keep up better with this thread. Urgh I have missed so much. Love all the stuff I have been seeing lately. Still have yet to start for my trip next month...need to get my butt motivated.
Love all the Ginger postings....way too funny

I don't think I ever posted these outfits I made for a Give

Pink Cindy dress.
262626_10150228958808160_677208159_7375316_4233387_n.jpg

Belle (this one is teensie tiny!)
264873_10150228958853160_677208159_7375317_4678679_n.jpg

and Cinderella for the Wish Girl

271059_10150228958888160_677208159_7375318_217515_n.jpg

I got the Cindy material at a garage sale last summer. To me, it looks a lot like the Cinderella fabric they use in the parks. It's kind of brocadish.

I wish I had more, I would love to make one for Lyddie out of it.

Speaking of Lyddie, I was going to have her model the dress for me, but when I went to look for her, this is what I found:

269403_10150228958708160_677208159_7375312_1797488_n.jpg

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter