Disappointed with Kong

What scare actors??? We went once through the regular line and another time through the single rider line and did not see anyone scaring people !??

Over the years I have gone on new rides when they first open

Never made an opinion until the kinks are worked out after initial openings

Mummy, TF, Spidey, Shrek, FJ, etc all had issues in the beginning

Some were mechanical of the ride and some were set up of the crowded lines of guests for the ride

If I took my first impression that the ride was a let down or disappointment, I would have missed out on a lot of fun if I had not returned in the future for them

Glitches happen that first month

Once the TM 's have worked the ride a bit and glitches cease, ride enjoyment improves

I'm looking forward to ride Kong in October

You're right, the first time I rode Minion Mayhem I came off it very disappointed because it constantly slammed me back into my seat and kind of spoilt my enjoyment of the ride. 2 years later, rode it again and loved it.

What scare actors??? We went once through the regular line and another time through the single rider line and did not see anyone scaring people !??

When I personally went on it, there were no scare actors, however, I've heard others report that there were scare actors present in the queue when they went. So, it might be depending on the time of day, or maybe some days they have them and some days they do not? Perhaps, they might have dropped the idea all together, because I haven't heard a ton of people talk about it.

It happens all around one particular area, it isn't really spread out through the queue. I only know this, as at a certain time the queue becomes more narrow and appeared to have a lot of hiding areas where I could see scare actors could easily hide. I mean, common sense will tell you what that is intended for. However, it's very excessive IMO. Therefore, I think it would be a lot of effort to put a scare actor in each of those places, or at least in most of those places, which might be why they limit to when they have scare actors there. I mean, If I personally had 20 people on the clock, I'd rather have them do something more productive than having those people literally in one spot for hours on end going "boo" every single day of the week. I do not think it would be the best job anyway, considering it's my job to stay and stand in one place for hours on end and do not like it. I love it when they put me in a more active position at work.

If anything, it not being a "all time" thing might bring an element of surprise to it, as well as more of a special feeling to it. So, that might be the reason as to why they do it that way.

The scareactors where in there when the ride officially opened. A friend of mine stuck her head in the area one of the scareactors is located. She about jumped out of her skin we the scareactor appeared! It was great.

Ugh the combination of scare actors, dinosaurs and huge spiders makes me think I will skip this ride after all xD

We liked it. Of course we aren't at work, or at home doing dishes, so it was great!
We rode today and there was a "scare actor" that jumped out at the people immediately behind us. I say that in quotes because it didn't look like someone alive was actually "in" it, but it seems they are missing the groups with small, small kids in tow.

My husband and I did EE last Saturday. We were at the bridge by Hogwarts to head over to Kong by 7:30. I think they let us through at 7:45. I have to walk slowly because my knee is a problem, so tons of people passed us, but even so, we pretty much walked through the queue fairly quickly. There were no scare actors at that time. The next day, my our kids and their spouses did the ride while we waited with the grandkids. I think it was a little later in the morning, and they said there was a scare actor.

Finally rode it last week and it was better than I expected. The queue line looks amazing, especially the room with the animatronic lady. First time we went through was pretty much walk on as we were in the area during EE. Second time was later in the day and had about a 30 minute wait or so. That time they had a scare actor in the queue jumping out at people. I can see numerous areas throughout that they could be utilized but only had the one that time. Was near the end in the cave type area where there are multiple openings around a curved path. Allowed him to be able to move around to all the open spots.
The ride itself was pretty fun, though still disappointed there wasn't more practical sets. But the 3D was done really well on it. One part towards the start it actually looked like a bat flew into the vehicle and flapped around for a moment before flying off. The Kong animatronic looks much better in person, but still a bit of a let down being just a head, but the roar is powerful and looks great up close still.
So overall a much better attraction than I was expecting an a lot of fun, but still had room for improvement by not just relying on screens

I liked the queue line (there was also a scareactor when we were there) but I wasn't partial to the ride and neither was my companion. We both agreed it was an okay ride but was in no way worth the current wait times.

Can anyone give me an idea of how scary Kong is? I see dinosaurs and spiders. Is it Disney DINOSAUR scary or more Haunted Mansion scary? We pretty much decided that Juassic Park would be too scary. I'd prefer not to watch a ride video of a ride I havent been on (it pretty much kills it for me) so I'm trying to get a sense.

Finally rode. I thought it was OK. There was a strong smell they used for a scene that left me mouth breathing as I could not handle the smell. Not sure what it was supposed to be. However my husband hates it. His direct quote was "Glad we rode on it once because we won't be back for a long time". He was very tired of screens and 3d glasses..

Rode it last week. Liked it a lot. But my favorite ride is still Gringotts. I rode it early and I didn't see the scareactor. Which was fine with me. Vehicle rides can get bumpy and there is nothing to hang on to. So hold on to your stuff.

I will ride it again. But I wouldn't wait longer than 20 minutes for it. Single rider was not open the entire time I was there. But was able to ride it thanks to early entry and was able to go straight to it when it opened. A lot of guests seems to be employing the same tactic.

I did like the spiel and loved anamatronic Kong.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me an idea of how scary Kong is? I see dinosaurs and spiders. Is it Disney DINOSAUR scary or more Haunted Mansion scary? We pretty much decided that Juassic Park would be too scary. I'd prefer not to watch a ride video of a ride I havent been on (it pretty much kills it for me) so I'm trying to get a sense.

Except for the end (a Kong torso sitting there) it's all screens. It's easy to get wrapped up in it but just looking further to see where the screens are or towards the floor outside the vehicle will bring you back to reality.

For me it's more creepy than scary. Same with JP. And (as long as you are prepared to get soaked) JP is worth being creeped out.

My mantra? It's a themepark and everything was built and placed here. Repeat as needed.

Except for the end (a Kong torso sitting there) it's all screens. It's easy to get wrapped up in it but just looking further to see where the screens are or towards the floor outside the vehicle will bring you back to reality.

For me it's more creepy than scary. Same with JP. And (as long as you are prepared to get soaked) JP is worth being creeped out.

My mantra? It's a themepark and everything was built and placed here. Repeat as needed.

First room with the skeleton and bats isn't screens.

First time we tried to ride it we had to be evacuated- lights on, stairs, everything. Just part of riding a new ride in its first year. So I got to see the tiny hydraulics the busses' wheels sit on to make you bounce and move. Also- there are two different audio systems- one IN the vehicle making sounds (like kong landing on roof, etc), and one OUTSIDE the vehicle making the outside noises like the dinosaurs, etc. Very interesting (I only know this because we got the audio for the main room after we broke down in the "bug" room w/ a white screen- heard kong jumping around). Then- when we were in the 360 room, it played but only the exterior audio appeared.

Once we got through it the next day- it was very enjoyable. The "fake" movement is impressive- you really feel like youre going fast. My youngest who just turned three loved it the queue was a little scary for her (not the ride)- but one ring pop later, and thats all she cared about- forgot the queue was even there. She also liked the "yucky" worm. Interestingly enough- she asked me what king kong did to the dinosaurs mouth. I said he broke it. She now tells strangers that king kong broke the dinosaurs mouth "like this" then proceeds to rip her own mouth open wide. Awesome. :D

ride it last week for the first time.
I was lucky, the crowd was 75 minutes long and I had an express. By the way, I think I will never wait 75 minutes for that. It's a nice ride, the 3d is good, but something was missing....don't know, I was not really impressed.

We didn't really like it either. We are also tired of so many rides being completely or primarily screen based at US. All the new rides have screens. I didn't like the restricted views either; it was the first ride I'd been on where you can't see in front of you. Kong would have been more impressive if there was more to him, but what was their was neat.

Rode it tonight. Posted time said 60 minutes, actual time on my Toruing Plans timer was 41. This was around 7:30, so shortly before closing. The queue area was quite boring. DH thought the ride was spectacular but I found it average, especially after having ridden Spider-Man. Spider-Man made it easy to suspend disbelief, and to think it real instead of a 3D movie. DH felt the same about Kong, but I felt I was always aware it was a movie. Perhaps because I was in an end seat, or possibly something to do with my distance glasses (which I didn't wear for Spider-Man). But also there were more effects in Spider-Man.

But part of the problem is that the story line isn't that interesting. I don't associate Kong with dinosaurs, never having gotten into King vs Godzilla.

I went on it twice this past Friday and thought it was pretty good. There was a scareactor in the queue reaching out and making people scream. I really liked the witch in the queue and the giant moving slug.

We rode twice and enjoyed that the different drivers give it a bit of a different experience.

I guess the second half of the ride was screens, but there is still the cool outdoor part with the big gates and then the opening scene with the giant skeleton. I'm really not sure how they could have the dino vs. kong fight without using screens. But I do admit I prefer real sets to screens. They could have added some jungle plants and ruins, but there was a lot of movement of the truck covering distance in the scenes so this might have been hard.

I thought the Kong head was well done.

Really, the worst thing I have to say about the ride is the other guest's behavior. Soooo many flash pictures during the actual ride and in the queue. Maybe they should have just made the Kong head a photo opportunity at the end so I didn't have to go blind watching people's flash photos and their posing in front of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter