Disappointed with Kong

I don't think Soarin' is any sort of best ride at Disney, but for me it's the *continued* use of screens. Every ride now. Move the vehicle, there's a screen. It just gets boring. Transformers, Spidey, Kong, Gringott's, Forbidden Journey, Despicable Me, Simpsons...I'm sure Transformers has a screen too but I don't know since I haven't experienced it.

Hulk gets a pass because it's obviously a screen. Well, it's obvious to me, at least. But the other day I was in the dungeon room with a LOT of people who just did not understand what sort of attraction they were going into; many thought that room was the attraction and were annoyed that their 3d glasses didn't work and that they couldn't see. It was interesting.

With every new attraction going in being screen-heavy, it just gets old. I want a REAL ride that moves around and does stuff; one that IS 3d, not that makes you wear 3d goggles.

Shrek gets a pass? Kept trying to figure out where the screen in Hulk was! lol

I am not sure yet if I wanna ride Kong - I've heard good things about the queue, that they have AAs and actors in there...
I don't like it though if people just jump out at you to scare you (reason why I'm not doing Universal's Halloween stuff, not my cup of tea). Also I don't like dinosaurs much or huge spiders - any of that on the ride? I love Forbidden Journey for a lot of reasons, but I hate that Aragog made it in there. XD

I don't think Soarin' is any sort of best ride at Disney, but for me it's the *continued* use of screens. Every ride now. Move the vehicle, there's a screen. It just gets boring. Transformers, Spidey, Kong, Gringott's, Forbidden Journey, Despicable Me, Simpsons...I'm sure Transformers has a screen too but I don't know since I haven't experienced it.

Hulk gets a pass because it's obviously a screen. Well, it's obvious to me, at least. But the other day I was in the dungeon room with a LOT of people who just did not understand what sort of attraction they were going into; many thought that room was the attraction and were annoyed that their 3d glasses didn't work and that they couldn't see. It was interesting.

With every new attraction going in being screen-heavy, it just gets old. I want a REAL ride that moves around and does stuff; one that IS 3d, not that makes you wear 3d goggles.

The Hulk is strictly a rollercoaster only, perhaps you're talking about Shrek?

But anywho... That is a great idea, one that is 3D, but no use of glasses. If there needs to be a continuation of screen usage, at least bump up the technology, make it somehow different than all the others. Like I said, that's why I like FJ, it doesn't rely strictly on screen usage. And I have to give it props for not even bothering with 3D imagery in the screen parts. It may not "jump" at you, but it's not necessary, especially considering how close you are and considering little screen time you're getting.

Okay thank you that's good to know - can anybody chime in on the queuing experience?
We went on it twice once in the regular line for an hour wait and once on the single rider line for 30 minutes. I don't remember anybody jumping out at any point. As you get closer to the ride the que is really cool looking!! Don't want to give it away but it's def not scary for an adult and I saw plenty of children in line and they were perfectly fine

Shrek gets a pass? Kept trying to figure out where the screen in Hulk was! lol

Yes, of course. :)

What's sad is that I did that verbally, too, talking with DS. Kept saying "let's go to Hulk", meaning Shrek, and he was just staring at me, because with his cast he can't go on Hulk.

Big green dudes. That's where I'm getting stuck in my brain.

Also I don't like dinosaurs much or huge spiders - any of that on the ride?

Both. Just try to not sit on the right hand side of the truck for the arachnid. Dinos are on both sides. Sit in the middle of the bench seating if you can.

Thank you everyone - I will think about I guess...:D Maybe spend half the ride with my eyes closed XD

Thank you everyone - I will think about I guess...:D Maybe spend half the ride with my eyes closed XD

Taking off the glasses, or looking above them, helps. Or looking around to see how it was all done, to remind yourself that it's all screens. I do that on Soarin' when I get too nervous that I'm actually (old Soarin') above a Naval carrier or (new) flying into a mountain.

Taking off the glasses, or looking above them, helps. Or looking around to see how it was all done, to remind yourself that it's all screens. I do that on Soarin' when I get too nervous that I'm actually (old Soarin') above a Naval carrier or (new) flying into a mountain.
Yeah that has worked for me before as well :) Thank you! And thank you everyone for being so helpful and understanding (and not making fun of me being scared of spiders or dinosaurs as a grown up...)

Flounder, I'm afraid of butterflies and my husband is afraid of sunflowers. No worries. :)

(whose idea was it for DH and I to have a garden wedding?????)

I've been wondering about spiders as well (huge arachnophobe). I know there are some in the Hollywood ride (I learned while on it), I looked away when they were. So is it the same thing or are there more? I'm a HUGE HP fan so before riding I learned to time for Aragog so I know when to close my eyes and when to open them...I have never seen a spider on that ride because of it :laughing:

I've been wondering about spiders as well (huge arachnophobe). I know there are some in the Hollywood ride (I learned while on it), I looked away when they were. So is it the same thing or are there more? I'm a HUGE HP fan so before riding I learned to time for Aragog so I know when to close my eyes and when to open them...I have never seen a spider on that ride because of it :laughing:
I feel you! I went through the whole Hollywood Kong scene (in the studio tour) without my 3D glasses, and just saw some blurry images of big dinosaurs - apparently i missed out on the blurry spiders, they would have freaked me out more. I was too afraid of the dragon on Forbidden Journey and closed my eyes for way too much of that ride, I think I can get past the dragon now, but Aragog...can you tell me how to time so I just miss Aragog? XD

I was too afraid of the dragon on Forbidden Journey and closed my eyes for way too much of that ride, I think I can get past the dragon now, but Aragog...can you tell me how to time so I just miss Aragog? XD

Oh if only it was *just* Aragog. I think the timing is that the dragon is there and you close your eyes, not opening them until you hear Hermione.

On Kong towards the beginning on the right there are things I thought were spiders but I think are more scorpion-ish and I can handle that. Plus some huge made up fantasy creatures. But during a scene at the end of the Dino vs Kong stuff at some point on the right side there's an Aragog/Shelob (showing that it should have been a LOTR ride lol) moving on a web string.

Seriously the right side is a phobic's nightmare. Except for Dinos which are on both sides. Gosh! Fun ride! :)

Last edited:
Oh if only it was *just* Aragog. I think the timing is that the dragon is there and you close your eyes, not opening them until you hear Hermione.

On Kong towards the beginning on the right there are things I thought were spiders but I think are more scorpion-ish and I can handle that. Plus some huge made up fantasy creatures. But during a scene at the end of the Dino vs king stuff at some point on the right side there's an Aragog/Shelob (showing that it should have been a LOTR ride lol) moving on a web string.

Seriously the right side is a phobic's nightmare. Except for Dinos which are on both sides. Gosh! Fun ride! :)

Haha well good to know, I will prepare myself :D I had a sinking feeling it might be more than just one spider, and Aragog probably brought along some friends...I might as well go check if there is a good ride video of that, although I doubt it with the security measures on there...Feels good to know I'm not the only one who freaks about such things lol.

Yep as soon as the dragon breathes fire on your face close your eyes and then keep them closed until you hear Hermione cast a spell (I always wait about 10 more seconds) and you are good.
Ok so the only spiders on Kong are one scene? I can make sure to stay to the left and just not look like I did in Hollywood.

Yep as soon as the dragon breathes fire on your face close your eyes and then keep them closed until you hear Hermione cast a spell (I always wait about 10 more seconds) and you are good.

thanks for the backup on that!

Ok so the only spiders on Kong are one scene? I can make sure to stay to the left and just not look like I did in Hollywood.

As far as I saw, yes. And we went 3 times in 4 days. In the one scene where Fay/Kay/Kate (what is the character's name in the ride?) is in the water, fighting things off, those might have 8 legs but they aren't the "sp" word. :)

My boys and I were also disappointed in Kong. We rode this weekend and wait times at 9:10 am were 90+ minutes. They did add express pass so we only waited about 10 minutes. We were going to go back to see the queue because we were told that it is really impressive but the wait never dropped below the 90 minute mark and we did not feel it was worth it.

The only cool part I thought was the Witch, however, I think in the single rider line you do happen to pass and are able to see a glimpse of her. At least I assume you can since I remember during soft openings I noticed a few people from time to time walking in a different line and they'd definitely would be able to see her, although they'd be a little further away. So, unless you want a close up look, or picture of her, or want to experience the scare actors, there really is no reason to wait in the queue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter