Dining Plan says includes appetizer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the same letter ( it's in a blue packet right? ) and it says welcome back xxxx family.... My packet says the same thing about ddp. I should say I know better as well that it is not included as we were just there in Febuary and don't intend on even bringing it up, We always use ddp and we go several times a year so get 3 or 4 of these letter thanks for coming back letters and tend to just file them, I did not even read mine until I saw this.

Well, its a brochure-size piece they sent, with a letter to "the Black Family" talking about our future trip and it includes little cards...one for the tickets, one for dining plan, etc... The dining plan says as I quoted above. Somebody screwed up big-time on this one and its telling me that these are all included, as well as gratuities....?????

If anyone else has recieved one of these, flip to the back of the dining plan card and you'll see it too...we need to figure this one out folks.

Can we hold their feet to the fire on this one?

Since then, I have read all sorts of rumors about who chose this new policy. Supposedly, it is in a contract that the labor union in some manner agreed to in a contract with Disney. I don't know if that is rumor as well.

If you mean the policy that removed the included gratuity from the 2008 plan, it's been posted that it was contractual.

The automatic gratuity for DDE members and the changing of automatic gratuity policy from parties of 8 or more to parties of 6 or more came from the same contract.

I sent an email to Disney, I was one of the families that got the 07 dining plan brochure in my 2008 package.
Here is the email, it does not answer my question, it just clarifies the plan for 2008:

Dear XXXXXX:
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Gratuities and appetizers are no longer included on any Magic Your Way
Package with Dine components in 2008. Industry standards and guest
comments indicated that guests prefer desserts and the freedom to reward
excellent service as they choose. The 2008 Magic Your Way Plus Dine
package already reflects these changes in components and price.

The 2008 MAGIC YOUR WAY PACKAGE PLUS DINING - This includes
accommodations at a Disney Resort, Magic Your Way Base* tickets, plus
Disney's Dining Plan for each member in the group. *Additional ticket
options available.

The Disney's Magic Your Way plus Dining Package offers a convenient and
flexible way to choose meals during your stay. The plan must be
purchased for all Guests in the party age 3 and up for the total number
of nights at the resort. This package is only available for Guests
staying in a Disney-owned and-operated resort hotel. Just like with the
Magic Your Way Package, you can choose any type of ticket as part of
your package.

Custom ticket options make Magic Your Way vacation packages fabulously
flexible so you can put together your dream vacation on the budget you
want.

Magic Your Way Base Ticket - Visit one (1) Theme Park a day, each day of
your ticket. Admission to MAGIC KINGDOM Park, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood
Studios and DISNEY'S ANIMAL KINGDOM Theme Park. You may visit one (1)
park on any given day. If you leave the park, you may only re-enter
the same park that day. Tickets expire 14 days from first use.

ADDITIONAL TICKET OPTIONS

*PARK HOPPER Option: Allows you to enter more than one park on the
same day
*Water Park Fun & More Option: Adds a specified number of visits
to our other gated attractions
DISNEY'S TYPHOON LAGOON and
DISNEY'S BLIZZARD
BEACH Water
Parks
DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive
Theme Park
DOWNTOWN DISNEY Pleasure
Island
DISNEY'S WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS
Complex

*The No Expiration Option: Unused days will never expire!

The length of the pass does not have to match the length of your stay.
For example, if you choose a six-night package you may choose a
seven-day Magic Your Way ticket. Remember, the longer you play, the
less you pay per day for theme park tickets!

PLUS DINING PLAN

The Disney Dining Plan includes One (1) Table Service Meal, One (1)
Counter Service Meal and One (1) Snack per person, per night for
everyone on the package ages 3 and up. Guests may use their Meals and
Snacks in any order and any amount throughout their stay until the total
is depleted. Guests should present their Key to the World card to their
server prior to ordering. Children ages 3 to 9 must order from the
children's menu where available. Children under the age of 3 may share
from the adult's plate at no charge or purchase a meal from the menu.
The package must be purchased for all persons in the party age 3 and up
for the total number of nights in the Resort.

Details of the plan are as follows:

Each TABLE SERVICE* meal includes:
One (1) entree
One (1) dessert
One (1) single serving non-alcoholic beverage
-or-
One (1) full buffet
*Gratuities are not included

Each COUNTER SERVICE meal includes:

Breakfast
One (1) juice
One (1) breakfast entrée
-or-
One (1) complete combo meal and one single serving non-alcoholic
beverage

Lunch/Dinner
One (1) entrée
One (1) dessert
One (1) complete combo meal with 1 dessert and 1 single serving
non-alcoholic beverage

SNACKS include a choice of one (1) of the following:
Frozen Ice-Cream Novelty
Single serving box of popcorn
Single piece of fruit
Single serving bag of snacks
Single serving of pre-packaged juice or milk
Medium sized fountain soft drink
12 ounce hot non-alcoholic beverage
20 ounce bottle of Coke, Diet Coke or Sprite
20 ounce bottle of Dasani Water

The Disney Dining Plan may also be used for Disney SIGNATURE RESTAURANTS
across property (see redeem below). This exclusive group of restaurants
provides unparalleled cuisine served in elegant and relaxed
surroundings. The Signature Restaurants and Dinner Shows are Jiko,
Flying Fish Cafe, California Grill, Citricos, Narcoossee's, Artist
Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Hollywood Brown Derby, Cinderella's Royal
Table, Mickey's Backyard Barbeque, select show categories at Disney's
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review (subject to
availability) and Private In-room Dining. Dress code for Signature
Restaurants is Business Casual. Not permitted in the dining room: tank
tops, swimsuits or swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut offs, or
torn clothing of any kind.

The server will redeem TWO (2) Table Service meals per person for ONE
Signature Dining Experience. Children ages 3-9 must order from the
children's menu.

All Dinner Shows require reservations, and show tickets may be picked up
at any Disney Resort Guest Services up to 5 days in advance.
Reservations are also strongly suggested for all full service
restaurants. Guests are welcome to call 407-WDW-DINE (407-939-3463), up
to 180 days in advance, to book dining reservations.

For further information and reservations, log onto the disneyworld.com
website, call the Walt Disney Travel Company at 407 828-8101 or contact
your travel agent.

We look forward to your visit in August.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

M........A..........
WDW Online Communications

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and
should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

I got the same teal colored brochure that was mentioned earlier(with pic)...
Mine also states TS includes entree and desserts and drink...no mention of apps. Plus the correct Gratuities not included statement. My brochure says MYDE08

I had told everyone, that I am going with, Apps were not included this time around then the couple I am going with and , us, got the "personalized" cards that clearly stated Apps were included, and I got questioned hehe. Figured it was a few mails going out with old cards :P , bummer I was right...

This part cracks me up...

"guest
excellent service as they choose."

OHHHH yes, I would prefer to lay down 20-25% on 4 adults eating surf and turf with deserts pleeease, oye what lip service, that tip is what I would pay to eat out with my wife all together at home..:P. The free dining plan before was just to good to be true, those that had it before feel this pain hehe. Still worth it for those who like to eat out, but still, free app, dinner, desert and gratuity was amazing good :(

I had told everyone, that I am going with, Apps were not included this time around then the couple I am going with and , us, got the "personalized" cards that clearly stated Apps were included, and I got questioned hehe. Figured it was a few mails going out with old cards :P , bummer I was right...

This part cracks me up...

"guest

OHHHH yes, I would prefer to lay down 20-25% on 4 adults eating surf and turf with deserts pleeease, oye what lip service, that tip is what I would pay to eat out with my wife all together at home..:P. The free dining plan before was just to good to be true, those that had it before feel this pain hehe. Still worth it for those who like to eat out, but still, free app, dinner, desert and gratuity was amazing good :(

Thank all the DISers who posted last year that they wished the gratuity was not included so that they could choose how much to tip. There were even posts who argued that 20% would not really be that much money, and at least they would get to choose how much to tip each time. I remember thinking at the time that they needed to be careful what they wished for. Those same posters were also complaining that the DP was too much food. Appys were removed. Coincidence, maybe, but I think not.

"guest

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Guests were ALWAYS free to reward excellent service, even when gratuity was included; they could always just leave a cash tip, or add an extra tip for the bill!!! I know I did this several times during my trip using the DDP last year!!!

"DISers who posted last year that they wished the gratuity was not included so that they could choose how much to tip."

:scared: :sad: :badpc:

I would've liked to have kept the appie on the new plan, but I am happy that I can choose what to tip. If you can't afford the $20 tip on a $100 meal (and assuming the server earns it), then maybe you should order less expensive food or eat elsewhere.

I was tired of poor service earning 18% gratuity. Most servers were worth that and more (and I left more when deserved). Our servers at Le Cellier and Narcoossee's, on the other hand deserved NO tip. Empty drink glasses, food/orders wrong, etc. No one checking to see if our food was acceptable.

It is possible that these servers were just bad at their job, not because the 18% was guaranteed, but now I have the choice to tip $.02 or $20, depending on the service I receive.

We didn't complain at Le Cellier, as we were late for Illuminations. At Narcoosee's the manager was appologetic, but I felt like he was just trying to get rid of us, not make the situation right.:sad2:

At least 20-30$ x 8 times (days), is a couple hundered dollars for the week and no chump change. There are allot of ways to spend money. Making vacation as efficient, cost wise, as possible means squeezing in a longer vacation, or adding other bells and whistles to your stay. It's not about being able to afford the tip at the place of your choice, it's about not having to before, and now having to spend extra money that can be used in oh so many ways. If people did not care about saving money in any way that they can, to have more for later, or for something else, why even bother with the dining plan, or with getting the free one. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, I am excited to have saved over 500$ with the free plan. It's just a fact that the deal was better with App and Tip included. And for buying the meal plan, they reduced it by 1$ per person compared to taking at least 30-40$,per person, in value out of it.

I suppose the only way that the Gratuities not being included can help overall(although it doesn't help the wallet), is making the servers more accountable for their service. Howevere, I never had any issues, and has been said before, you are always able to leave a bit more for good service. Perhaps not enough people did this to set the expectations of Servers that thier performance would matter. Or perhaps they were happy with 18% regardless and let their effort lag. But isn't that on the resteraunts shoulders to ensure good help as well?

Thank all the DISers who posted last year that they wished the gratuity was not included so that they could choose how much to tip. There were even posts who argued that 20% would not really be that much money, and at least they would get to choose how much to tip each time. I remember thinking at the time that they needed to be careful what they wished for. Those same posters were also complaining that the DP was too much food. Appys were removed. Coincidence, maybe, but I think not.

Now how many people are really on these boards compared to ALL that go !

The real reason is more profit for dI$ney.
IMO they have little to care about with people in the US . They know the dollar is weak and people from other countries will take up the slack fillling the parks ! Visitors from other countries will be able to absorb any price increases with ease.....Its the American worker who will have less and less .......

DisneyDad.gif
DisneyDad.gif
DisneyDad.gif
DisneyDad.gif
koo.jpg

At least 20-30$ x 8 times (days), is a couple hundered dollars for the week and no chump change. There are allot of ways to spend money. Making vacation as efficient, cost wise, as possible means squeezing in a longer vacation, or adding other bells and whistles to your stay. It's not about being able to afford the tip at the place of your choice, it's about not having to before, and now having to spend extra money that can be used in oh so many ways. If people did not care about saving money in any way that they can, to have more for later, or for something else, why even bother with the dining plan, or with getting the free one. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, I am excited to have saved over 500$ with the free plan. It's just a fact that the deal was better with App and Tip included. And for buying the meal plan, they reduced it by 1$ per person compared to taking at least 30-40$,per person, in value out of it.

I suppose the only way that the Gratuities not being included can help overall(although it doesn't help the wallet), is making the servers more accountable for their service. Howevere, I never had any issues, and has been said before, you are always able to leave a bit more for good service. Perhaps not enough people did this to set the expectations of Servers that thier performance would matter. Or perhaps they were happy with 18% regardless and let their effort lag. But isn't that on the resteraunts shoulders to ensure good help as well?

I agree. We had no problems with service when the tip was included. And yes, now we can choose exactly how much we wish to tip -- but it's all extra, above and beyond what we already paid for the plan. So whether we tip .02 for the worst service ever (can't imagine how horrible it would have to be :eek:) or 25% for the best server at WDW...it's all coming out of our own pocket. That's not an improvement that benefits the guest.

"Industry standards and guest comments indicated that guests prefer desserts and the freedom to reward excellent service as they choose."

If they were trying to benefit the guest, the price of the plan would have come down to accommodate the loss of the appetizer and tip, even factoring in inflation, rising food and transportation costs, etc. But realistically, Disney was trying to cut costs -- the previous version of the DDP was a loss-leader to get people into the parks, but evidently there was a little too much "loss" in the "leader" :confused3 :laughing: I believe the only effect guest comments had was to give Disney executives a good idea of what the public would be willing to give up and still pay basically the same price.

I do kind of wonder if it will have any effect on what people spend on "extras" -- alcoholic drinks, appetizers, etc -- that all significantly increase the expected OOP tip. For example dinner for 2 at 50's PT:

Salmon 19.99
Pot Roast 16.99
Coffee 2.00
Coffee 2.00
S'more's 4.79
Brownie Sundae 5.99
Total 51.76
Covered by the DDP
OOP tip 18% 9.32

If you add in OOP
Shrimp cocktail 7.99
Caesar salad 5.49
Heineken 5.25
Mowie Wowie 9.50
That's another 28.23 OOP
and now the 18% tip is 14.40

So...our "free" DDP meal is costing us 42.63.

So maybe we'll just get one appetizer and split it. Or maybe we'll just skip the appetizer. Skip the liquor? Dunno...maybe both get beers. Or one specialty drink and two straws :laughing:

Now how many people are really on these boards compared to ALL that go !

The real reason is more profit for dI$ney.
IMO they have little to care about with people in the US . They know the dollar is weak and people from other countries will take up the slack fillling the parks ! Visitors from other countries will be able to absorb any price increases with ease.....Its the American worker who will have less and less .......

DisneyDad.gif
DisneyDad.gif
DisneyDad.gif
DisneyDad.gif
koo.jpg

Please see post #129 - must have been one of those who posted last year complaining about tips and wishing he/she could leave their own tip!! I'm just sayin' - Disney must listen to customer complaints and these boards a little, if only to glean what the public is thinking. Yes, it was a business decision, but it is possible that the complaints from these boards could have been a factor in the decision.

I would've liked to have kept the appie on the new plan, but I am happy that I can choose what to tip. If you can't afford the $20 tip on a $100 meal (and assuming the server earns it), then maybe you should order less expensive food or eat elsewhere.

I was tired of poor service earning 18% gratuity. Most servers were worth that and more (and I left more when deserved). Our servers at Le Cellier and Narcoossee's, on the other hand deserved NO tip. Empty drink glasses, food/orders wrong, etc. No one checking to see if our food was acceptable.

It is possible that these servers were just bad at their job, not because the 18% was guaranteed, but now I have the choice to tip $.02 or $20, depending on the service I receive.

We didn't complain at Le Cellier, as we were late for Illuminations. At Narcoosee's the manager was appologetic, but I felt like he was just trying to get rid of us, not make the situation right.:sad2:

Ah, so you were one of those who wished this upon us ! ;) Seriously, though, yes it is a lot of money when you add it up over a trip of 8 or 10 days. And, no I don't wish to go to places where the food is less than stellar quality just to save on tips!!

After not reading this post for some time, I returned to find quite a bit of grief thrown my way. I'm not sure why, but because I asked a few questions, I've been turned into some sort of miser.

I can assure you that I'm not a miserable person, I'm not one to punish a server by withholding their tip and I'm not one to cherish in trying to make someone squirm. I've been a part of every dining plan that's been offered and I've seen them come and go, but I've never been sent information that was a direct conflict with what was actually offered....so it intrigues me and makes me ask questions.

I never would have posted here if I knew it would turn into this...that wasn't the purpose. The reason was to merely see if anyone else had recieve it and if the plan had somehow "changed without notice".....sorry, I guess I should have known better.

Hey, Black, I hope you did not take offense or get grief from my comment. I'm just concerned with Disney sending out wrong information to guests (and my reservation may have the same information when I get it), that it will cause a lot of confusion and the servers will go without tips either because the guests believe a gratuity is already added or some will stiff them just to make a point. Never did I think this was directed to you. I agree you have every right, as do all who get the info, why there are crossed signals. Disney needs to take responsibility to everyone on the DP to insure they have a wonderful experience! Forgive me if I sounded critical of you.

Let's just hope the servers don't get the bad end of this or the service will be horrible for all on the DDP.

I wonder if more of those '07 flyers were sent out previously. I was just down there May 3rd-10th and used the DxDDP. At most restaurants, as soon as I told them I was on the DxDDP and started pointing to an appetizer, the waiter asked to see my card (before he would let me order). The reason they usually gave was that alot of people really didn't know which plan they were on. By the end of the week, it was getting a little old, so I would mention that I knew the regular plan did not include the appetizer, but the DxDDP did. They continued to say that alot of people still thought they got an appetizer and a couple of waiters said they had had some problems with people on the regular DDP ordering an appetizer, then getting upset when they were billed for those appetizers at the end of the meal. They said that some managers have had to be called, so now they just ask to see your room key, before you order so they can explain which plan you are on, so no misunderstandings occur.

I agree with you Mr. Black! I got the same brochure that you did with the 07 plan details. Now I frequent the dis boards so I know it is a mistake, but for many others this is the only info they have. Surprise, surprise when they get their bill and have to pay for how ever many appetizers they have ordered as a family and then the gratuity on top of that. I would be furious if it happened to me.

I too get so annoyed with stupidity. I honestly do not know how such a large company could make such a dumb mistake. It is not Jan of 2008--it is May. The year is half over--why are these old brochures even around.

I would never make a scene--I am just not that way, but I can see how others might.

I agree with you Mr. Black! I got the same brochure that you did with the 07 plan details. Now I frequent the dis boards so I know it is a mistake, but for many others this is the only info they have. Surprise, surprise when they get their bill and have to pay for how ever many appetizers they have ordered as a family and then the gratuity on top of that. I would be furious if it happened to me.

I too get so annoyed with stupidity. I honestly do not know how such a large company could make such a dumb mistake. It is not Jan of 2008--it is May. The year is half over--why are these old brochures even around.

I would never make a scene--I am just not that way, but I can see how others might.

They will know after thier first meal.:scared1: Disney use to be the company that others would model from. Things have changed if you have been around for many years. They now use outside companies for many thngs they use to do. IMO thier workers are also underpaid and under a lot of pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter