• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Plan says includes appetizer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Industry standards and guest
comments indicated that guests prefer desserts

We much prefer sharing appetizers,I wish you could choose between an appetizer or dessert per TS credit

I received the letter and cards that you are talking about for our September trip as well however ours says nothing about appetizer and it says that gratuities are not included. I received my letter and info about 3 weeks ago. The card that I received talking about the dining plan has a picture of a little boy trying to see over a counter looking at an ice cream dish on the front and the bottom is a blue green color. So unless something has changed with the dining plan you probably received an old card by mistake.

That's the one I recieved I initially thougth I got an appetizer too but then I reread it and realized it was for the 3-9 plan. DOn't have it in front of me so I don't know what got me to reread it

Those that recieved this...can you tell me who you booked through? I wonder if that may have made a difference in who recieved these or didn't. I will be there next month and I haven't recieved anything either. Just curious.

I just came to check out the boards here, because I just got my packet in the mail today (5/9), and it does say appetizer. (I didn't think it did, that's why I came here to see if something had changed)

Here's my deal: We booked through AAA on Wednesday, and we received our confirmation, along with the dining info today (our packet came from our local AAA Office.)

My info says 2008 Disney Dining Plan and that it includes appetizer, entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage for the table service meals.

It also says in BOLD letters. Gratuities are not included.

So, is there a chance they did change it to include the appetizers again, and maybe some of the CMs, don't know it?

I just came to check out the boards here, because I just got my packet in the mail today (5/9), and it does say appetizer. (I didn't think it did, that's why I came here to see if something had changed)

Here's my deal: We booked through AAA on Wednesday, and we received our confirmation, along with the dining info today (our packet came from our local AAA Office.)

My info says 2008 Disney Dining Plan and that it includes appetizer, entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage for the table service meals.

It also says in BOLD letters. Gratuities are not included.

So, is there a chance they did change it to include the appetizers again, and maybe some of the CMs, don't know it?

does your have the date in the bottom right hand corner as others have stated? MYWE07 or 08

check that and make sure it doesn't say appetizers are included for ages 3-9. For the 2008 plan, they're included with children's meals, but not adults. Are you on the deluxe plan, or does the brochure say deluxe on it anywhere?

I would say there is next to no chance that they've changed the basic plan to include appetizers for adults.

Appy's are included for the kids meals 3-9? I'm so confused.:confused3

At the TS restaurants, the kid's meals come with the main course and 2 sides. You choose b/w a variety of sides. My son usually opted for the chicken noodle soup and a sundae.:) There were also veggies, salad and a few other things.

So, it really isn't an appetizer, just a choice of the 2 sides.

If you got info in the mail it still does not mean you get to go by "last year's rules." You are not entitled to some things that were on last year's DP just because you got an old brochure in the mail. It never seems to amaze me how some posters, this thread included, want to "make Disney pay" for the mailing mistake of a CM. OP did not assume this, but subsequent posters have given the impression that they would like to force Disney to stick by the info on the planning brochure, even if the info is outdated. :confused3

Somebody screwed up big-time on this one and its telling me that these are all included, as well as gratuities....?????

If anyone else has recieved one of these, flip to the back of the dining plan card and you'll see it too...we need to figure this one out folks.

Can we hold their feet to the fire on this one?

Anyway, its worth taking just to see how they react at the resort. I'm not expecting anything, but hey...its worth a shot. My Mom made a scene at a restaurant there once and they gave her everything she wanted just to end the situation.

Well, that's interesting...could we not hold them to this if tons and tons of folks are getting this info. This, by law, is bait and switch if they promise you one thing and deliver considerably less.

Besides, its one thing to call and argue over the phone, its entirely another to do it in person at the resort...face to face has its advantages.

LOL, any lawyers on the DisBoards???

I'll be very curious how they're going to react when I lay this down and stare them in the eyes...

It never seems to amaze me how some posters, this thread included, want to "make Disney pay" for the mailing mistake of a CM. OP did not assume this, but subsequent posters have given the impression that they would like to force Disney to stick by the info on the planning brochure, even if the info is outdated. :confused3

Rachelsmom...I believe the tone of this thread was set by the original poster.

Mr. Black, I may be reading you wrong, but in just these excerpts from your posts, it seems like you delight in the idea that Disney made an error, feel like you should try to benefit from that error, and will be amused to make Disney employees -- managers and CM's who had absolutely nothing to do with this error -- squirm and try to appease you.

You didn't purchase the dining plan under false pretenses, it wasn't bait and switch, you knew exactly what it was supposed to have and exactly what the changes were since last year -- and that is why you questioned the information you received. You knew it was not correct.

And...you aren't even paying for it anyway. You are getting it for free, just like all the rest of us traveling in September. Why do you want to "hold Disney's feet to the fire" and "give it a shot" to see what more you can get for something that truly didn't inconvenience or mislead you in anyway? :confused:

Why do you want to "hold Disney's feet to the fire" and "give it a shot" to see what more you can get for something that truly didn't inconvenience or mislead you in anyway? :confused:

Because the folder says clearly 2007

Outdated so no longer valid.

Not comment you Katiebell so no mistaks there :thumbsup2 just giving an answer to Mr Black.

Who is to say who mails thousands of mailings a day? Heck, it may be some machine in the northeast collating and stuffing envelopes. :confused3
The DDE cards at least use to come from the northeast. I don't know if they still do. Obviously someone got a hold of a wrong box somewhere, that's all.

Has anyone with the wrong brochure called Disney yet to ask them what Disney plans to "do" about this?

My guess is they plan to follow the 2008 brochure and that they'll apologize and send out a new brochure. But I just wondered if anyone had called.

:) Sheli

Well different subject, but another "mistake". I had to change my reservation from Sept 5, for 14 nights to Sept 13th for 14 nights. It now says that we are traveling from Sept 5 until the 27th, at the same price. It also re-included my son in law, who can't go due to his training. It is the same price as 4 of us for 14 nights....lol
Of course I don't expect this to happen, and will say something way before the trip comes up. Just thought it was very funny. Hmm 27 days with free dining....lol

I don't think I could actually bring myself to make a manager squirm, but I may actually point this out to a manager and I will likely have numerous conversations with waitstaff letting them know what happened and asking them if they have faced the repurcussions rom this fiasco.

In the mean time, before my trip, I will photo copy my brochure and mail it to the local labor union letting them know what is happening and that Disney is doing nothing to correct this.

I believe I will give Mr. Black credit in that I don't think he will actually find pleasure in stiffing the waitstaff because of this brochure, thus I think he will likely tip appropriately, but we all know there are plenty of people out there that will not tip as they believed this brochure. I am not saying these people should be ashamed of themselves either. Not everyone has access to the internet and can get ahold of the latest information at the touch of a button. Some people will be relying on the information sent to them, such as this flyer. These people can still, in their mind, have gratuity included and simply tell the wait staff to speak to Disney about their tips. We all know this will happen in at least more then one occasion.

As far as getting updated information, I asked Disney to send me the correct brochure, they refused. I believe they should correct their error by sending out apology letters with the appropriate brochure. While the apology would go to the guests, they should really be apologizing to the waitstaff. A mailer should cover the thousands of individuals still out there that are believing what they have in writing in front of them. As a result, there would only likely be a very small amount of guests that somehow did not receive the second mailer, thus very few frustrated clients.

Does anyone know if the local union has a website or email address. The one I found for the waitstaff does not. I can only find the physical address.

I knew there was something else I wanted to mention.

The website on the dining plan states that gratuity is not included "unless otherwise stated..."

As they just sent me this brochure, it is "otherwise stated..." I don't believe it is my responsibility to read a code at the bottom of a brochure and understand whether or not it is an old code. As far as I am concerned this is a change as it is "otherwise stated..."

I don't think I could actually bring myself to make a manager squirm, but I may actually point this out to a manager and I will likely have numerous conversations with waitstaff letting them know what happened and asking them if they have faced the repurcussions rom this fiasco.

Why? If it's as big a fiasco as you imagine, won't the managers and servers have their hands already full dealing with angry guests expecting free appetizers and included gratuities since they don't know the rules of the 2008 plan?

I believe I will give Mr. Black credit in that I don't think he will actually find pleasure in stiffing the waitstaff because of this brochure, thus I think he will likely tip appropriately, but we all know there are plenty of people out there that will not tip as they believed this brochure. I am not saying these people should be ashamed of themselves either. Not everyone has access to the internet and can get ahold of the latest information at the touch of a button. Some people will be relying on the information sent to them, such as this flyer. These people can still, in their mind, have gratuity included and simply tell the wait staff to speak to Disney about their tips. We all know this will happen in at least more then one occasion.

I don't know Mr. Black at all, except from exactly what he's written here. I have no idea if he plans to tip appropriately or be one of those people who will simply tell the wait staff to speak to Disney about their tips. Which is very sad, because it just means they won't get tipped for that meal.

The only thing I know about Mr. Black is that he thinks it's worth a shot to show a manager the brochure to see what he can get because his mother once made a scene in a Disney restaurant "until they gave her everything she wanted just to end the situation".

I am so glad I was not there to witness that.

As far as getting updated information, I asked Disney to send me the correct brochure, they refused. I believe they should correct their error by sending out apology letters with the appropriate brochure. While the apology would go to the guests, they should really be apologizing to the waitstaff. A mailer should cover the thousands of individuals still out there that are believing what they have in writing in front of them. As a result, there would only likely be a very small amount of guests that somehow did not receive the second mailer, thus very few frustrated clients.

How did they refuse you? Was it an email request, or a phone call? If they refused in writing, do you have a copy of that email you could share here? If you emailed your request, did they just direct you to the correct plan brochure online? It would be reasonable for them to assume you have internet access if you are emailing them...

The correct 2008 brochure is located here:
http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...agespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/08Dining.pdf

I knew there was something else I wanted to mention.

The website on the dining plan states that gratuity is not included "unless otherwise stated..."

As they just sent me this brochure, it is "otherwise stated..." I don't believe it is my responsibility to read a code at the bottom of a brochure and understand whether or not it is an old code. As far as I am concerned this is a change as it is "otherwise stated..."

So...are you planning to show them the 2007 brochure and demand free appetizers and included tips? When is your trip?

"Why? If it's as big a fiasco as you imagine, won't the managers and servers have their hands already full dealing with angry guests expecting free appetizers and included gratuities since they don't know the rules of the 2008 plan? "

For curiosity only. I like to know more then I need to know. I was in Disney World just recently and the buses were on a schedule that was a near disaster. Many people were waiting 40 minutes on a regular basis to simply get on a bus to get somewhere. On two occasions I sat for twenty minutes talking to bus drivers asking them all the details about how their dispatch is being done and why it was happening this way. I was very polite and patient. I was not complaining. I simply wanted to know why and how. Both bus drivers enjoyed chatting with me while they drove. I expect to have similar conversations with the servers as they come to my table. Do you ever socialize with your servers?

"The only thing I know about Mr. Black is that he thinks it's worth a shot to show a manager the brochure to see what he can get because his mother once made a scene in a Disney restaurant "until they gave her everything she wanted just to end the situation".
"

You are right. This is sad and this will likely happen many times. I just think Disney could do something else to help alleviate this behavior. I for one don't want to be sitting next to the person that creates a scene because of this. On top of that, I won't be blaming that person if they truly were confused, which will likely happen.

"How did they refuse you? Was it an email request, or a phone call? If they refused in writing, do you have a copy of that email you could share here? If you emailed your request, did they just direct you to the correct plan brochure online? It would be reasonable for them to assume you have internet access if you are emailing them..."

They refused me over the phone. Maybe I was asking too much. Maybe I simply wanted to make sure that I had the correct information.

"So...are you planning to show them the 2007 brochure and demand free appetizers and included tips? When is your trip?"

I might show them the brochure, but I won't demand anything for free. Life is too short and I won't work that hard for an appetizer. I will let you know that I will have a party of twelve people going for a week. The amount of money in gratuitiy and appetizers is actually fairly significant. If I find out that they are giving away free appetizers to anyone that can show the brochure, then yes, I will show it. I won't be expecting the free appetizer, but I also will not pass it up. Why would anyone?

Why do you ask when I am going?

Why do you ask when I am going?

Wanted to know if you are going during free dining, and if you plan to do a trip report. Would be interesting to hear what reactions you get from showing the brochure to restaurant mangers and servers.

Oh, and out of curiousity...aren't you the same Charles that posted about this same thing on another Disney board?

I am the same Charles.

I decided to stop posting on the other Disney board as there was more activity here. Someone on that board posted that there was a longer discussion on another board so I found this string. I don't want to spam too much. If I recall correctly, I think the last thing I posted that this would hurt the servers. (fyi, I used to wait tables)

Since then, I have read all sorts of rumors about who chose this new policy. Supposedly, it is in a contract that the labor union in some manner agreed to in a contract with Disney. I don't know if that is rumor as well.

I am travelling in September with the free dining plan. What trip report are you talking about?

Also, I won't likely carry the brochure around showing it to everyone, but I will eventually ask servers if it became an issue (talking to managers would be pointless) and if they knew anything about it. When I was there last week, I interviewed almost every family with toddlers that was stuck on the same monorail car or bus with me. I was anxious to learn everything I could before bringing my family for the first time. (2 and 3 year olds) I want to learn everything I can about Disney before I decide to make travelling there a family tradition.

I also have a post about the DVC. No one seems to be able to answer my questions on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter