• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Diet? What diet? A countdown: 18 TS restaurants on TIW card...#1 on pg. 18!

bangzoom6877 said:
When I was a kid, there was only one restaurant where he would eat German food...it was in Queens, NY. My family had been going there since as far as I can remember (and way before that, I'm sure!), and my husband and I also used to go there a lot. Then, unfortunately, about 6 years ago the original location closed but they were in a different location. The place was nice inside, but did not have that true German feel to it. However, the food was just as good as always. A couple of years back however, it closed down for good. :sad1:

I used to frequent many German restaurants since I was raised in Queens - Zum Stammtisch has always been our favorite and is still around - on Myrtle Avenue. They were actually on the Food Network Best Thing I Ever Ate show the other night for their jagerschnitzel.

I have to check that place out! The restaurant we used to go to was also on Myrtle Avenue! It was called Gebhardt's. I think I spelled that right! ;)

My mom always used to get the jagerschnitzel there! She says that real schnitzel has to be made of veal cutlet, as she knew it growing up. At Biergarten it was chicken schnitzel...she still loved Biergarten though!!

Hi everyone! Well, in an attempt to get in as much DIS time as possible before I go back to work on Tuesday :sad1::) (yes, I am sad AND happy about going back to work at the same time...will explain later), I'm going to start telling you all about my few CS experiences at WDW! I will tell you this...all are good ones! ;)

On the day we arrived at WDW (isn't that just the MOST magical WDW day for anyone?! ;)), right after we checked in and left our luggage with bell services, we drove to DTD and met up with the rest of the family, who had done the same thing at their resort. My parents weren't picky about where we went for lunch, as long as there were some options that were somewhat healthy, and my sister and I discussed it and we decided that Earl of Sandwich would be a great place to try. So we met up there.

It was SOOOOOO crowded at Earl of Sandwich, that we considered leaving and going somewhere else to eat lunch, but we all decided that at noon already, it would be crowded anywhere we tried. And we didn't want TS because of the time factor (wanted plenty of shopping time in DTD), and because we had a 5pm dinner at Chef Mickey's and wanted to be hungry for that buffet!

The line moved much faster than we expected! And although we couldn't find a table for 10 inside, we found 2 tables right next to each other outside. Even though it was hot, we were just fine. Plus, being outside meant we would get out of there quicker and that meant...more shopping time! :lovestruc

I was going to order the caprese sandwich, but I decided to be "good" and order the caprese salad instead. I also got myself a bowl of grapes, which I ended up sharing with my mom. I felt great about eating lots of veggies and fruits for my first meal at WDW! Of course, once I got to Chef Mickey's for dinner that evening, that quickly ended! :lmao:

The salad was absolutely delicious!! It had a balsamic vinaigrette, but it was not drowning in dressing. I love salad dressing and all, but please don't give me lettuce that is floating in a pool of it! The fresh mozzarella and tomatoes on this salad were very tasty. DH had the Original 1762, which was roast beef and cheese (I think?) with a horseradish sauce. He LOVED this sandwich!! They make their own bread and the sandwiches get toasted. Brilliant! DS5 had the kids' turkey sandwich and he liked it a lot. He thought the bread was too hot (it comes out VERY hot), so I opened up the sandwich for him and he ate the turkey first and then some of the bread after it cooled down a bit. DS3 ordered a kids' pizza sandwich, which is just pizza sauce and mozzarella in between their fresh toasted bread. He thought this was too hot and didn't eat much of it, but he ate some. I confess...I tried a bite of this when he said he was finished and their bread is amazing! Next time I will definitely get a sandwich instead of a salad!!

Overall, Earl of Sandwich is a wonderful CS location. The prices are very reasonable too. Kids' meals are only $3.95, and our mealswere around $6. Plus, they gave a 10% DVC member discount, which I had no idea they did! This was an added bonus!!

If you decide to go to Earl of Sandwich and it looks super crowded, don't worry...they work very efficiently there and they know how to handle huge crowds of people. We were out of there much faster than we thought we would even be waiting in line to order! Somehow it just works out very well in there. I recommend this place for lunch if you are in the DTD Marketplace and you are looking for some good quality sandwiches or salads. Excellent! :thumbsup2

We love EoS and eat there as many times as possible every trip. Funny, every time we go there I say I'm trying something new...but I have yet to try a second sandwich. It's the All American for me. The tomato soup is also really good.

we tried e of S last year for the 1st time and loved it - still not sure why it took us so long to try it - we usually went to wpe instead - now we love both. looking forward to more reviews.

Hi everyone. Today was a very sad day for my family. One of my sister's dogs passed away this afternoon. :sad1: She was a pug, 12 years old, and she became very sick recently and took a turn for the worse rapidly over the last couple of days. My sister has another pug, she is going to be 9 years old in October. We got to say goodbye to her, but it was very hard. She has been such a wonderful dog from the time my sister first got her when she was a puppy. Always loving, affectionate, never would hurt anyone, loved children, beautiful, and just a little doll. My nieces got to say goodbye to her too, which was very important to them. They came into the room and started crying, and it was so sad. I feel for all of them. Please keep my sister in your thoughts and prayers that she gets through this all right. It feels terrible. I also feel sorry for her younger dog, who doesn't have her usual companion with her anymore. We will all be showering her with lots of love and attention as well.

Thanks everyone. It's so sad losing a pet (even though she wasn't my pet, she is part of our family). :sad2: We will always remember all the fun we had with her, and we will always love her. RIP.

Prayer are for your sister! I know how hard it is to let go of you pet they are like your family.:littleangel:

Thank you so much! I called her last night and she was still crying. I feel so bad for her. We all really love that little dog so much...she was a big part of this family, from her puppy days until now. She will be sorely missed.

Loved your reviews. We have Biergarten on our upcoming ADR's. My DH absolutely loves it there.

So sorry to hear about your sister's dog. I recently put down my cat and it was (and is) so difficult to lose someone that you love and is part of your family.

I really enjoy Earl of Sandwich as well. Their bread is fabulous! I am bummed they took off their adult grilled cheese sandwich though but the other sandwiches are really good.

Loved your reviews. We have Biergarten on our upcoming ADR's. My DH absolutely loves it there.

My DH loves it there too! I think we will HAVE to go there EVERY time we are at WDW just to satisfy his love for German food! Like he said..."meat, with a side of meat!" :lmao:

Love your reviews!

Thanks! :goodvibes

So sorry to hear about your sister's dog. I recently put down my cat and it was (and is) so difficult to lose someone that you love and is part of your family.

I really enjoy Earl of Sandwich as well. Their bread is fabulous! I am bummed they took off their adult grilled cheese sandwich though but the other sandwiches are really good.

Thank you for your condolences. It is very difficult. Pets become part of the family, and it is very hard to lose them. My nieces asked me why it is that way, and I told them that if pets lived as long as people, then who would take care of them if they outlive their owner? I told them that pets rely on their owners to take good care of them, to feed them, to play with them, and that they need us and depend on us. It made them feel better that they were always there for their dog until the very end. I also told them how fortunate they were to have the opportunity to say goodbye to her. They felt lucky for that...they said a lot of nice things to her, and it made all of us cry.

OK, back to some happier things...I didn't know they ever had an adult grilled cheese at EoS...it must have been delicious. I am definitely going to try one of the sandwiches instead of a salad next time. I did enjoy that salad though, it was delicious!

I am so sorry for your family's loss. They are definitely members of the family and their loss is felt for a long time.

Also, thank you for the reviews. We will be at Biergarten 3 weeks from today and I'm glad to hear that its just as good as we remember it.

I am so sorry for your family's loss. They are definitely members of the family and their loss is felt for a long time.

Also, thank you for the reviews. We will be at Biergarten 3 weeks from today and I'm glad to hear that its just as good as we remember it.

Thanks for your words of kindness.

You're lucky to be going to WDW so soon!! Enjoy! Biergarten is outstanding!!! :goodvibes

Thank you so much! I called her last night and she was still crying. I feel so bad for her. We all really love that little dog so much...she was a big part of this family, from her puppy days until now. She will be sorely missed.

Give her a big hug when u see her! I still get sad around the time my first dog passed away. :littleangel:

I'm so sorry to hear about the dog, we are cat people, but love all pets. A couple weeks ago we had to give up one of our cats who was born just after Clinton was inaugurated, her sister has stopped eating in the last day or so and tomorrow we're going to have to take her to the Rainbow Bridge. It's very sad, but they bring us so much joy while they are with us. I just don't know what I'm going to do when my five yr old little disabled cat has to go, she has captured my heart like no other and I will be absolutely devastated. I just hope I won't have to worry about that for at least 10 years.

Wow!

First off, your food look AH-MAZING from Kouzzina! I've wanted to go there since it opened...but you know DH...i'll show him your pics and hopefully he'll agree to let us try it once!

Second, I had no idea Biergarten was going to be your number 1! I've been very weary of this place, mostly because I'm not a brat fan...but I really do wanna give it a shot! Especially for those wonderful beers you have there! German beers are pretty much one of the best places for beers!!!

Oh no! So sorry about your sisters dog! :sad2:

Animals are such an essential component to a families life...your animal is always there for you no matter what, and is there through thick and thin...as corny and mushy as it sounds it's very true.

After my grandfather and dad both died the same day (grandpa old age, and my dad a heart attack a couple hours later), I wanted something to fill an emptiness in me. My apartment wouldn't allow any dogs, so we adopted a kitten. And she is wonderful! When I cried she would always sit with me and purr on my lap! :cutie: So I can understand how your family is feeling right now.

Prayers on the way! :goodvibes

Give her a big hug when u see her! I still get sad around the time my first dog passed away. :littleangel:

Thanks so much! I have been talking to my sister a lot about everything, and I saw her yesterday. She's doing much better but still very sad. But, as I told her, the only thing that works to heal is time. And it is very hard to have the patience, but she will be OK.

I'm so sorry to hear about the dog, we are cat people, but love all pets. A couple weeks ago we had to give up one of our cats who was born just after Clinton was inaugurated, her sister has stopped eating in the last day or so and tomorrow we're going to have to take her to the Rainbow Bridge. It's very sad, but they bring us so much joy while they are with us. I just don't know what I'm going to do when my five yr old little disabled cat has to go, she has captured my heart like no other and I will be absolutely devastated. I just hope I won't have to worry about that for at least 10 years.

I'm sorry to hear about your cats. We're animal lovers too, but unfortunately I have a terrible allergy to cats (affects my asthma), and I have a milder allergy to dogs. I can be around dogs and even pet them without a bad reaction. After a while I feel a slight reaction, but not too much. With cats, within minutes I start getting an itchy throat, eyes get red and swollen, sneezing, and then wheezing from the asthma. I wish we could get a cat or a dog...oh well. My parents are getting the boys a nice fish tank this year for the holidays though!

Wow!

First off, your food look AH-MAZING from Kouzzina! I've wanted to go there since it opened...but you know DH...i'll show him your pics and hopefully he'll agree to let us try it once!

Second, I had no idea Biergarten was going to be your number 1! I've been very weary of this place, mostly because I'm not a brat fan...but I really do wanna give it a shot! Especially for those wonderful beers you have there! German beers are pretty much one of the best places for beers!!!

Oh no! So sorry about your sisters dog! :sad2:

Animals are such an essential component to a families life...your animal is always there for you no matter what, and is there through thick and thin...as corny and mushy as it sounds it's very true.

After my grandfather and dad both died the same day (grandpa old age, and my dad a heart attack a couple hours later), I wanted something to fill an emptiness in me. My apartment wouldn't allow any dogs, so we adopted a kitten. And she is wonderful! When I cried she would always sit with me and purr on my lap! :cutie: So I can understand how your family is feeling right now.

Prayers on the way! :goodvibes

The food was amazing from Kouzzina! I think after your DH sees the pics, he will want to go there! It has a very nice atmosphere as well, and not too noisy at all!

I'm not a brat fan either, but when I think of German food, brats are never the first thing that come to mind! I think schnitzel, sauerbraten, spaetzle, etc. All the things I grew up eating when we had German food!

Thanks also for the kind words regarding my sister's dog. You are right, pets become a very big and important part of the family. They're like little gifts from up above!

So sorry to hear about your sisters dog. Since my husband and I never had any children my dogs have always been my kids. I only have dj left.
Your reviews are the best I have ever read. I cant tell you how much I enjoyed them. The pictures are awesome. We leave in 12 days and have chosen a couple of the same places to eat and now after your reviews I am glad I picked them. We are try mostly places this year that we have never eaten at before. I have to tell you that I am returning to weight watchers when we come home. Once again thanks for the great reviews.

Just found your Review yesterday and I have been glued to the computer to finish it last night and this evening. I was glad to see your #1 ranking of the Biergarten!! DH and I love that place too, we had gone there for the first time on our last trip in 2004 (DH's 1st trip) it was all he could talk about whenever we talked about planning and making our ADR's for the trip we just took in May. His Mom is Pennsylvania Dutch and German, and his Dad was German too so he is used to a lot of that type of food. His mom apparently makes a pretty good Sauerbraten (which I will never taste because she uses Venison and I just can't do it! LOL) and even though it is different meat he says the Sauerbraten there is very close.

So sorry about your sister's Dog, I know how you feel, My brother had to put his (15 year old) yellow lab down in May (the day after we got home from our trip) and I was a wreck! Pets become such a part of the family, it's hard when we have to let them go. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter