• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Diet? What diet? A countdown: 18 TS restaurants on TIW card...#1 on pg. 18!

Great countdown! I'm so glad you picked Biergarten! I don't think it gets enough praise here and I'm happy to see it as your #1. DH's family is German and he thought the food was really authentic. I've never really had much in the way of German food but I thought the food there was great. They do a good job keeping the authenticity and they don't water it down for picky Americans. Its one of our favorites too!

Love your countdown!! We are trying Biergarten for the first time in December. (well, DH has eaten there, its a first for DD and I) I'm kinda nervous, it's kinda like Boma to me, it's so intriguing to me. Your review made me feel better about it!!

Great choice! Never been there myself, but have wanted to go for some time, especially since my family had a blast there and my mom and sister danced a polka! Maybe next time...:)

Great reviews, all around!! You've helped make the countdown to my own trip that much easier to deal with!

Yay for Biergarten! Great choice!!!! We love it to and can't wait to get back - we didn't get there in July because it's not DD's favorite place. Looking forward to the sweet white wine they have there and DH is looking forward to the giant beers!!! ;)

Great reviews! I couldn't believe how many pages I had to go back to find the Kouzzina review and see the pics. I'm going to have to go back to each of these retaurants again after seeing your food. The trio at Kouzzina looked GREAT! And the Spanakopita! We ate there during F&W last year, we'd had Spanakopita at the kiosks, but Kouzzina's was tons better!

We had the Fisherman's Stew, but your trio looked so good! :goodvibes Did the Pasticchio have Eggplant in it? It sounds so good, but it always seems to have Eggplant and I'm allergic. :sad2:

I haven't been to Biergarten in probably 9 or 13 years! I don't remember which trip we did it, but we haven't been there in a long time. I think the last time we went something was off with the food, but we'll have to try it again! We LOVE German Food, we have this place in Orange County called "Old World German Village" they have a great restaurant and a market. We love their sausages and Schnitzel. Hey! You could go there on that VGC Trip!

Looking forward to hearing about the CS restaurants next!

great reviews, your countdown system was fab :cool1:
Especially like your Number 1 as we plan to eat there on our next trip, and i only seem to read bad reviews. Thanks :goodvibes

Sounds like a great meal!! Really pleased that is your number 1 restaurant - we have booked it for our first night this year and can't wait to try it!!

What a great way to begin your vacation!! Enjoy it, have some bavarian cheesecake for me, and have a wonderful magical trip!!! :goodvibes

Loved your reviews!

I think Biergarten was my favorite, too. It's the exact food that I grew up with, but no longer get to eat because of where I live now.

Isn't it so authentic? I just love it there!! It is so hard to find good German food these days, but I am lucky we have the one new place we go to (though it's just not the same as the place we ate in while growing up), and there are a few others around that we hope to try. I especially love German food in the winter! It's comfort food to us! :)

Yeah! You got your pics back! And your #1 is Biergarten!!! I've never eaten there before but we have an ADR for our trip in a few weeks so now I am even more excited to try it.
Thanks for your unique countdown!!

Yay, and your trip is so close!!! Enjoy Biergarten! ;)

I have really enjoyed your countdown. I have to say I am a bit surprised with your top choice. I have never dined there but have assumed that I wouldn't like it. I have heard some great reviews recently, including yours, so you definitely have me rethinking it! ::yes::

Well, I will tell you this...I know that German food is not for everyone, but I have also read reviews that say they had some picky eaters in their party, and everyone loved Biergarten. If you notice, many of my top choices are restaurants that serve ethnic foods. Everyone has different tastes, and there are plenty of people that would disagree with me about Biergarten, an also plenty that would agree.

Great countdown! I'm so glad you picked Biergarten! I don't think it gets enough praise here and I'm happy to see it as your #1. DH's family is German and he thought the food was really authentic. I've never really had much in the way of German food but I thought the food there was great. They do a good job keeping the authenticity and they don't water it down for picky Americans. Its one of our favorites too!

Exactly! There are plenty of places to eat at WDW for people that want to stick to American fare. That's what I love so much about Epcot...all the ethnic and unique choices there! And Kouzzina too...to me it doesn't get enough praise here, but not everyone is into that type of food. I know plenty of people who go to WDW and strictly stick to burgers and fries because that is what they prefer, and they may not like places that I like. And even if you are not familiar with German food, you can definitely tell that the quality of the food there is excellent! :thumbsup2

Love your countdown!! We are trying Biergarten for the first time in December. (well, DH has eaten there, its a first for DD and I) I'm kinda nervous, it's kinda like Boma to me, it's so intriguing to me. Your review made me feel better about it!!

Glad to help! You will probably love it! Biergarten is a buffet that is loved by many people who normally don't like buffets! I have read many reports on here stating that the only buffets they will go to are Boma and Biergarten!

great reviews can't wait for more after reading your review I now can't wait to try Kona and a few others!

Oh yes, Kona is wonderful! Definitely get that coffee!! Even if you are not a coffee drinker, it is just sooooo good!! :goodvibes

Great choice! Never been there myself, but have wanted to go for some time, especially since my family had a blast there and my mom and sister danced a polka! Maybe next time...:)

Great reviews, all around!! You've helped make the countdown to my own trip that much easier to deal with!

I agree that it is easier to wait for your trip when you read about all the good things about WDW! For me, a huge part of that is the food. They did have a polka at Biergarten when we were there...DS5 and my niece were dancing and had the best time! :cutie:

Yay for Biergarten! Great choice!!!! We love it to and can't wait to get back - we didn't get there in July because it's not DD's favorite place. Looking forward to the sweet white wine they have there and DH is looking forward to the giant beers!!! ;)

Ahh the giant beers...we saw many of those! We all went with the beer flight because we all love German beer and it was just too difficult to decide! Glad we had 4 of them! :)

Great reviews! I couldn't believe how many pages I had to go back to find the Kouzzina review and see the pics. I'm going to have to go back to each of these retaurants again after seeing your food. The trio at Kouzzina looked GREAT! And the Spanakopita! We ate there during F&W last year, we'd had Spanakopita at the kiosks, but Kouzzina's was tons better!

We had the Fisherman's Stew, but your trio looked so good! :goodvibes Did the Pasticchio have Eggplant in it? It sounds so good, but it always seems to have Eggplant and I'm allergic. :sad2:

I haven't been to Biergarten in probably 9 or 13 years! I don't remember which trip we did it, but we haven't been there in a long time. I think the last time we went something was off with the food, but we'll have to try it again! We LOVE German Food, we have this place in Orange County called "Old World German Village" they have a great restaurant and a market. We love their sausages and Schnitzel. Hey! You could go there on that VGC Trip!

Looking forward to hearing about the CS restaurants next!

I don't think the pastitsio had eggplant in it, but I am not totally sure. You could definitely ask them when you get to the restaurant and let them know you are allergic. That's a shame you're allergic...at least speaking for myself, I LOVE eggplant! Love it in Italian food, Mediterranean food, Chinese food, Japanese food, etc. Love it grilled, fried, roasted, etc. My sister is an eggplant parmigiana addict! If she was allergic she would definitely just use an Epi-Pen and NEVER give it up! :lmao: Just kidding, she's still very smart and knows how to take care of herself! ;)

The German restaurant in CA sounds great! And a market too? Wow, sounds awesome!! It's funny you mention a VGC trip...I looked at the point "costs" today...seems we may be able to swing 5 nights in a studio and go there during one of the summers in between WDW trips. That would mean 3 years in a row of Disney! Don't know if a studio will be available 7 months out though. Plus, we would have to cut a couple of WDW trips shorter to make it work. But I'm talking 8 or 9 nights, instead of the usual 10. I know, I know exactly what you're thinking..."Only 8 or 9 nights? Poor Baby!" :lmao:

great reviews, your countdown system was fab :cool1:
Especially like your Number 1 as we plan to eat there on our next trip, and i only seem to read bad reviews. Thanks :goodvibes

I take all the restaurant reviews with a grain of salt. I am aware that many people don't like foods outside the usual foods they eat at home, and they have certain expectations when going to a restaurant...expectations that the restaurant may not meet, but with things that don't matter as much to me, like not having a very extensive wine list. Give me a basic glass of Pinot Grigio or Riesling and I'm good to go! ;) I also realize that many people out there just don't like to spend money and just because they are paying for something, it should be gourmet 5-star quality. Kind of along the lines of the fact that I am a complete pizza snob. What can I say? Brooklyn pizza is what I grew up eating! I would never go to WDW and get pizza because I KNOW it will not taste like anything I get in NY! And I would never expect it to!

Hi everyone! I know I finally got to #1, but please don't go anywhere! I will be describing CS meals, snacks, and more alcohol! :thumbsup2

At the end, I will be going over some numbers, to show everyone how we did with the Tables in Wonderland Card. I will be comparing this to the deluxe dining plan, and to the regular dining plan and paying OOP for the extra TS meals (there were 18 so it would have been 8 extra on our 10-night trip!). I also added up all the snacks we had throughout the trip, to see if we would have needed all the snack credits that come with the dining plan. Put it this way...if we had the basic DDP, among the 4 of us we would have had 40 snack credits. Double that if we had gotten the deluxe plan and we would have had 80 snack credits!!

Stay tuned to hear more info on all this stuff!! I'm not going anywhere, and this review is far from over! ;)

Yay! I'm glad that you're going to compare the TIW to the DxDDP and DDP. I know for us we'd never make out with either the DDP or DxDDP because we order one meal and split everything TS and CS, so for us TIW works out great, especially that it covers adult beverages! But with such an extended family, I'd love to hear how much you saved. We are just two of us and we still saved with the TIW card.

With respect to your VGC trip, I think you could make it in at 7 months. If you're flexible on the dates that you can go and/or are willing to waitlist it will come through. If you'll drive across country then your other accomodations can be booked much more last minute. In four or five years we'll see how it goes! :lmao: When you decide, I'll give you the details on the German Village.

Yay! I'm glad that you're going to compare the TIW to the DxDDP and DDP. I know for us we'd never make out with either the DDP or DxDDP because we order one meal and split everything TS and CS, so for us TIW works out great, especially that it covers adult beverages! But with such an extended family, I'd love to hear how much you saved. We are just two of us and we still saved with the TIW card.

With respect to your VGC trip, I think you could make it in at 7 months. If you're flexible on the dates that you can go and/or are willing to waitlist it will come through. If you'll drive across country then your other accomodations can be booked much more last minute. In four or five years we'll see how it goes! :lmao: When you decide, I'll give you the details on the German Village.

The TiW card worked well for us too. It's great as a DVC member since we get $100 off the AP to begin with. You saw the things we ordered at each a la carte TS. If we had done the DxDDP, we would not have come close to using all the components of each meal. If we were to do that, we would be way too stuffed!

As for a VGC trip, we have always wanted to drive across country, and I have always wanted to see the "original" that started it all...Disneyland! It will depend on a lot of things...one is that we have to consider going to WDW after August 15th for a couple of summers, so we have to use fewer points on the BWV room. That would definitely help us to "afford" 5 nights at VGC. Otherwise, I think we would only be able to do a week at WDW...if we go the second half of August we could do 8 nights one trip, 9 nights another, then get "back on track" and do 10-night trips again. We'll see. We only have 150 points, so we have to work with it and crunch some numbers! I'm pretty good at that, but DH is even better with crunching the numbers for our DVC membership than I am! Me...I'm better at doing that with the dining, since I am much more interested in that than he is! :goodvibes

I'm so glad to see that Biergarten was your #1! That is where we are eating Thursday night for our arrival dinner. We've never been before and I'm so excited about it now!

My DD14 and myself just ate at Biergarten for the 1st time last week while at WDW !!! I wanted to try it because my dd has had 2 yrs of German in Middle School and will have German I when she starts High School this week . I figured she could practice her "German" skills...it's probably the closest we'll ever get to Germany ! We Loved It !:thumbsup2
The food ,desserts, entertainment and atmosphere was all wonderful....so glad we tried it ...we'll be back again next visit ,for sure !:thumbsup2
Love all of your reviews !:thumbsup2

I'm so glad to see that Biergarten was your #1! That is where we are eating Thursday night for our arrival dinner. We've never been before and I'm so excited about it now!

You're going to love Biergarten!! Wow, Thursday night...it's so close now!!!! Enjoy! :)

You had me at alcohol :lmao:

:rotfl2: Hey, what's a vacation without alcohol?! ;)

My DD14 and myself just ate at Biergarten for the 1st time last week while at WDW !!! I wanted to try it because my dd has had 2 yrs of German in Middle School and will have German I when she starts High School this week . I figured she could practice her "German" skills...it's probably the closest we'll ever get to Germany ! We Loved It !:thumbsup2
The food ,desserts, entertainment and atmosphere was all wonderful....so glad we tried it ...we'll be back again next visit ,for sure !:thumbsup2
Love all of your reviews !:thumbsup2

Glad to hear you also enjoyed Biergarten! It's just an amazing place, and we love the atmosphere.

I understand what you mean with foreign language...I teach high school Italian and Spanish. When I go to Epcot, I love to speak Spanish with the CMs in the Mexico pavilion, and Italian with the CMs in Italy! I went to Italy once, in college...Epcot is the closest I will get to Italy for many years! :rotfl2: I went to Mexico once on a cruise, but it's been many years. But, we will be going to Puerto Rico on next summer's cruise, so I am excited that on next year's vacation, I get to speak Spanish again! :goodvibes

I know I'm late to the party but I want to see the rest. We, also, did TIW and found it very easy to use. Can't wait to see your cs reviews.

I understand what you mean with foreign language...I teach high school Italian and Spanish. When I go to Epcot, I love to speak Spanish with the CMs in the Mexico pavilion, and Italian with the CMs in Italy! I went to Italy once, in college...Epcot is the closest I will get to Italy for many years! :rotfl2: I went to Mexico once on a cruise, but it's been many years. But, we will be going to Puerto Rico on next summer's cruise, so I am excited that on next year's vacation, I get to speak Spanish again! :goodvibes

That's so cool that you teach FLs, I had 4 years of German in HS and on my couple trips to Germany in my youth, I could barel y speak to them. I was just getting to past tense when I stopped taking German. I had two semesters of French in College, but can hardly remember or speak it! That is so cool that you can talk with the CMs in their own languages!

I know I'm late to the party but I want to see the rest. We, also, did TIW and found it very easy to use. Can't wait to see your cs reviews.

Don't worry, you're only fashionably late to the party!!! :lmao:

Better late than never...I'm looking forward to telling you guys about the CS places too! Not too many of them, but I still wanted to review them! ;)

That's so cool that you teach FLs, I had 4 years of German in HS and on my couple trips to Germany in my youth, I could barel y speak to them. I was just getting to past tense when I stopped taking German. I had two semesters of French in College, but can hardly remember or speak it! That is so cool that you can talk with the CMs in their own languages!

I love teaching languages! There are so many things we can do with them to keep the kids interested and make them fun! I am very big on teaching the kids the culture of the respective country/countries of the language too. It gives them a more well-rounded education so they understand how the people in those places live as well.

Just found this, loved everything about it from your writing to your pic's to your countdown style. Well done!:thumbsup2

bangzoom6877 said:
When I was a kid, there was only one restaurant where he would eat German food...it was in Queens, NY. My family had been going there since as far as I can remember (and way before that, I'm sure!), and my husband and I also used to go there a lot. Then, unfortunately, about 6 years ago the original location closed but they were in a different location. The place was nice inside, but did not have that true German feel to it. However, the food was just as good as always. A couple of years back however, it closed down for good. :sad1:

I used to frequent many German restaurants since I was raised in Queens - Zum Stammtisch has always been our favorite and is still around - on Myrtle Avenue. They were actually on the Food Network Best Thing I Ever Ate show the other night for their jagerschnitzel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter