Dessert Parties

KathyTN

Earning My Ears
Can someone please explain the dessert parties?
How do they work? Cost? Are they worth it?

Thanks very much!

Strangely enough, there's very little consistency between the dessert parties. Wishes lets you stay in the dining area to watch the fireworks. A Galactic Spectacular leads you from the party to a private viewing area just before it starts.

Some people think the cost isn't worth it, as all you're getting is sweets before a show. I liked having an area away from the main crowds to be able to sit with my family and relax. The prices change during the year. As the predicted crowds swell, so does the prices. Just call when making the reservation, and ponder if the price is worth it to you.

I also knew the day that I bought it for was THE busiest day of the year (the only day most park crowd calculators write an 11, in pen, as soon as they get their calendar). Good ol' New Year's Eve. Actually having space around me, even for an hour and a half, was worth it.

Two options at MK.
Both get their desserts in same basic area.
One you stay at your location to watch, the other you go down to a garden area to watch.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/tomorrowland-terrace-fireworks-dessert-party-plaza-view/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/tomorrowland-terrace-fireworks-dessert-party/

DHS has the SW Dessert Party right now.
Food is served in different location than viewing.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/galactic-dessert-party/

Epcot has Illuminations Party.
You stay in same place for everything.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/illuminations-sparkling-dessert-party/

There is also one where you don't have to enter park but remain on a Ferry boat for Wishes
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/ferrytale-wishes-dessert-cruise/

NOTE:
Only Wishes Party that stays in the Terrace has seats for everything.
Wishes Garden has seats for dessert portion.
SW and Illuminations = no seats.

Last edited:
Thanks - is there a place I can find them? Which parks / events / names? For example, I did find
Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party at Disney's Hollywood Studios
but for the dates we are going, May 13-17, it says "no time".

They haven't been releasing dates for the SWaGS until about 4-6 weeks ahead.

In 18 years of trips we never were tempted but decided to try the SWaGS party last week based on reviews (and the fact that our DS18 is a huge Star Wars fan) and were glad we did. I don't think that it was necessarily a great deal but we really enjoyed it, and I think that having the party in the Launch Bay rather than by the viewing area was a plus--you could stroll around the galleries to check out the memorabilia and displays, they piped in Star Wars music and had a few characters walking around. In addition to the sweets there were cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks and some fruit and savory food options, and the theme carried over to the drinks and food. There was also a souvenir, a chewbaccca stein, which was a fun thing to leave with. We were also interested in this because I had read that the right viewing area was very important to get the full impact of the show and the DHS area seemed more compact, whereas even during peak holiday periods we have never had trouble finding a perfectly fine to great place to watch Wishes or Illuminations without Fastpasses or any special priority.

SWaGS is hands down the BEST Dessert Party we've attended! Especially compared to the others, WELL worth the cost if you are: Even remotely interested in Star Wars, drink adult beverages, and want a great view of the show without staking your spot out an hour in advance (and being squished like sardines) If you're interested, there's an extremely helpful thread on this board giving full details and many personal reviews: https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...-galactic-nights-launch-bay-jt.3439569/unread

We went to the holiday one at DHS at Christmas. Since it was right before Christmas, it was even more expensive. However, this was our gift to my parents for Christmas, so I bit by tongue at the cost. My parents had a wonderful time! They loved sitting and talking to the CMs working the event and the CMs bent over backwards to make it special for them. In fact my mom tracked down the manager working the event to say what a great event it was! It rained right as the show was starting, so we didn't even see the fireworks. My parents still talk about it and what a great time they had. I did like the DHS event because it is not all desserts, they had some savory items. I did like that we had extra space outside and weren't crammed in with the masses. They had bottles of water for us in the viewing area, which was nice.

We are going to Disney in August. There are no dates available on the Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party. As of today they have the dates out until May 31, 2017, can anybody tell how far in advance they release the dates?

We did the Star Wars one recently. It's not worth it from the standpoint of the food & drinks alone obviously. However, if you take into account the fact that you would otherwise be camping out for an hour for a premium spot to view the show, spending the hour eating/drinking and then having VIP viewing sure was nice. Not sure I would do it again, but I'm glad we did it once.

Strangely enough, there's very little consistency between the dessert parties. Wishes lets you stay in the dining area to watch the fireworks. A Galactic Spectacular leads you from the party to a private viewing area just before it starts.

Some people think the cost isn't worth it, as all you're getting is sweets before a show. I liked having an area away from the main crowds to be able to sit with my family and relax. The prices change during the year. As the predicted crowds swell, so does the prices. Just call when making the reservation, and ponder if the price is worth it to you.

I also knew the day that I bought it for was THE busiest day of the year (the only day most park crowd calculators write an 11, in pen, as soon as they get their calendar). Good ol' New Year's Eve. Actually having space around me, even for an hour and a half, was worth it.

Hello, can you tell me how much the New Year's Eve dessert party costs? And if you're able to make the reservations with you're 180 + 10 for staying on property? My sister is in a wheelchair and unfortunately last time we were there for New year's Eve the designated handicap viewing areas were crammed with people laying on the ground. We're going again this year and I'm wondering if this would be a doable option. Thank you!

Hello, can you tell me how much the New Year's Eve dessert party costs? And if you're able to make the reservations with you're 180 + 10 for staying on property? My sister is in a wheelchair and unfortunately last time we were there for New year's Eve the designated handicap viewing areas were crammed with people laying on the ground. We're going again this year and I'm wondering if this would be a doable option. Thank you!

The plaza dessert party is $59 for guests 10 years of age and older and $35 for guests age 3-9. Guests under 3 years old are free with a paying adult. For the terrace dessert party, the prices are $79 and $47, respectively. Reservations can be made 180 days in advance.

I was in a wheelchair, too, when I did the terrace dessert party, and I didn't have any problems. Tables are assigned, with your name on a card at the table. When it came time for the fireworks, we moved to the railing, and got a decent view of everything. I never had problems with people laying on the ground.

We did the Illuminations dessert party 2 weeks ago. It was completely worth it. The desserts were very good, champagne, several wines and lemonade was available, and the location to watch the show (between the two shops on the Future side of Epcot) can't be beat. Only complaint is that there are no seats, so you're standing for quite a while (I was using a scooter, and they reserved the area right along the fence for disabilities - so I had a seat). What would it take to wheel out a couple of dollies of folding chairs? But I would do it again, and would try other dessert parties.

In general, how far out can you reserve these dessert parties? Is it 180 days out like the ADRs? Typically, do these dessert parties sell out quickly? Thanks for the help

With the new Magic Kingdom show,HEA,it is CRITICAL to be close to and in front of the Castle!

Do the PLAZA Dessert Party-DO NOT do the TERRACE Dessert Party!

Last edited:

When did you get to book for the New Years Dessert party?

Can someone please explain the dessert parties?
How do they work? Cost? Are they worth it?

Thanks very much!
A dessert party is a very expensive way to see something that is free. They throw in a few desserts and beverages as a bonus, but no one would ever spend that much money for that food. The appeal is that you get a good viewing area and don't have to fight the crowds. A lot of people like them but I can get a wonderful meal at a signature restaurant for what one of these dessert parties cost. ;)

I'm not a dessert person.

We are going to Disney in August. There are no dates available on the Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party. As of today they have the dates out until May 31, 2017, can anybody tell how far in advance they release the dates?
The Illuminations Dessert party is going the way of the Dodo on July 17th and they are replacing it with the Frozen Dessert Party...
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...after-dessert-party-at-epcots-world-showcase/

We too wanted to go back to the ISDP but will have to make alternate plans for Illuminations in October as the new Frozen event isn't scheduled our week. We can hope for some special F&W event to take it's place.
Based on feedback and reviews we are also waiting for the October 9th Star Wars tour at DHS to be released as well as the October 11th HEA Plaza viewing dessert party.

Mike

The Illuminations Dessert party is going the way of the Dodo on July 17th and they are replacing it with the Frozen Dessert Party...
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...after-dessert-party-at-epcots-world-showcase/

We too wanted to go back to the ISDP but will have to make alternate plans for Illuminations in October as the new Frozen event isn't scheduled our week. We can hope for some special F&W event to take it's place.
Based on feedback and reviews we are also waiting for the October 9th Star Wars tour at DHS to be released as well as the October 11th HEA Plaza viewing dessert party.

Mike
are they booking frozen ever after dessert partys for december yet

We did the Illuminations dessert party 2 weeks ago. It was completely worth it. The desserts were very good, champagne, several wines and lemonade was available, and the location to watch the show (between the two shops on the Future side of Epcot) can't be beat. Only complaint is that there are no seats, so you're standing for quite a while (I was using a scooter, and they reserved the area right along the fence for disabilities - so I had a seat). What would it take to wheel out a couple of dollies of folding chairs? But I would do it again, and would try other dessert parties.

The "no seats" party is sad because we had seats in 2015 for the ISDP in the same location so it was awesome! I likened it to the World of Color DP in DCA (which we've done 4 times...:)), the seat alone was worth the price of admission after a long day in the parks.
Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter