• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Happy Thursday. I have another two sessions of tennis scheduled today, and am playing Friday and Saturday. I sure have played a lot of tennis this month and sure am sore. That bill will be even worse. I'll be assistant coaching the girls HS team next season, which should be interesting. I'll be paid nothing, which means they may get what the pay for. :lmao:

Same here, busy day today. I was running around since this morning. Good job doing a favor for the neighbors.

He's helpful to us, so it wasn't a big deal. He lent me the leaf blower to clear my dryer vent. DW hasn't noticed the yard yet though. :sad2:

Saw the pic of Andriana on FB. Another proud dad moment. She looks happy. I don't remember any of my college work experiences being that happy, which reminds me yet again I picked a crappy major.

Took me until today, but I'm mostly recovered. Then the grader and loaders came through a few minutes ago so had to clean that up. Almost wiped out on a surprise slick spot. That hurt. Plus... broke my dang shovel.
Snow pile is about six feet high now.

I hate it when they do that. We don't get snow often, so I have one of those plastic shovels, which does the trick on my small driveway. Still, I notice many people don't clear them at all. That was something my dad always did when it snowed, and I've always done it as well. I guess that would be another perk of living in Florida.

Live from DaWorld! Hope all are having a good week

Pics not posting from phone will try later
Have a great time Mike. Pics would be awesome. Is it as busy as everyone is saying?

Evening Chaps from a freezing London.

Go away 2016 and never darken our door again.
I think 2017 is when some of the crap from 2016 comes to fruition, but let's hope for the best...

Took me until today, but I'm mostly recovered. Then the grader and loaders came through a few minutes ago so had to clean that up. Almost wiped out on a surprise slick spot. That hurt. Plus... broke my dang shovel.

You could always audition for one of the gravediggers at MNSSHP? I'd pay good money to see that. Hope you're feeling better mate. I've only had to shovel snow twice in my life, both times in your lovely country.

Been a hectic week with 2 Birthdays, a Death in the family on Xmas Eve and the whole Xmas malarkey. Pixie Dust and Best to all.

Last edited:
Hello Dads! It's the ghost of Christmas past here. Or something like that. I hope you all had an enjoyable holiday. I got quite busy during Christmas, nothing particularly special to report, just preparations for the big day plus visiting family and friends. Things are starting to get back to normal now. One of the frustrating parts of Christmas is trying to find space for all the new toys, especially when they never want to get rid of the old stuff (yes, I know DD probably has too many). One of DD9's gifts was a Lego roller coaster set, all 1,138 pieces of it. When DW first mentioned she wanted it, I thought it was nuts (neither I nor the girls ever had much to do with Lego). When I saw the 11 separate bags of tiny pieces and thick instruction booklet, my fears came to fruition. However, as I sat down with DD to help her put it all together, I actually started to enjoy it. Perhaps I've been missing out on something all this time. Now I'm wondering about all those Star wars sets I've ignored before.

Sounds like it is time to invest in a snowblower.
People keep telling me that.
I'm starting to think they're right.
I've had one for about 12 years now - on to my second actually. It's almost a necessity now with our east coast winters. Mind you, my parents didn't have a snow blower when I was growing up and we managed. We've had several big dumps of snow in December already. I think its going to be a bad winter.

The pile on my lawn would likely be at least that high if not for a couple rain/thaw days mixed in. Supposed to get more rain New year's Eve that should cut it down a bit more.

I have been going thru my Christmas candy junk food and should be out of it today. Sadly, when junk food is around, I am compelled to eat until I get sick.
Sadly, I feel your pain as I suffer from the same affliction. DW and I both enjoy baking for the holidays, so on top of all the store bought goodies, we end up with many tins of homemade treats as well. We're starting to see the end of the pile now, but it hasn't helped our waistlines. January detox it is, I guess.

Head to the airport in a couple of hours, will try to post a pic or two from DaWorld. Have a good week and a happy and safe NYE.
Enjoy the trip! It would be great to see some pics if you can manage it.

First Carrie Fisher and now her mom Debbie Reynolds. How incredibly painful for their family. Go away 2016 and never darken our door again.
Sad end to a sad year for celebrity deaths.

Well, I counted, and it looks like I've played tennis 23 times this month, which is terrific for me, but bad for the wallet.

I think 2017 is when some of the crap from 2016 comes to fruition, but let's hope for the best...

Been a hectic week with 2 Birthdays, a Death in the family on Xmas Eve and the whole Xmas malarkey. Pixie Dust and Best to all.

I never get excited about the whole celebrity death thing. Sure, I guess I would get excited about meeting a few, but unless they were scantily clad gorgeous women or clothed men giving me money, then I really don't care too much.

Prayers for your family with a death on Christmas Eve.

Hello Dads! It's the ghost of Christmas past here. Or something like that. I hope you all had an enjoyable holiday. I got quite busy during Christmas, nothing particularly special to report, just preparations for the big day plus visiting family and friends. Things are starting to get back to normal now. One of the frustrating parts of Christmas is trying to find space for all the new toys, especially when they never want to get rid of the old stuff (yes, I know DD probably has too many). One of DD9's gifts was a Lego roller coaster set, all 1,138 pieces of it. When DW first mentioned she wanted it, I thought it was nuts (neither I nor the girls ever had much to do with Lego). When I saw the 11 separate bags of tiny pieces and thick instruction booklet, my fears came to fruition. However, as I sat down with DD to help her put it all together, I actually started to enjoy it. Perhaps I've been missing out on something all this time. Now I'm wondering about all those Star wars sets I've ignored before.

Sadly, I feel your pain as I suffer from the same affliction. DW and I both enjoy baking for the holidays, so on top of all the store bought goodies, we end up with many tins of homemade treats as well. We're starting to see the end of the pile now, but it hasn't helped our waistlines. January detox it is, I guess.

I had Legos as a child, and got rid of them as I got older. Then, I got the dds some Legos. My oldest didn't play too much with them, but my younger one enjoyed them. She still will put some together every now and then. I gave her a tennis racquet for Christmas, and she bought a hair straightener with her money. I guess she has outgrown her Legos now though.

I get the whole baking thing. I worked in a deli/ bakery inside grocery store in college. I never decorated cakes, but baked cakes, breads, and learned how to cook. I also fried lots of donuts. I like to throw together a quick rising yeast bread and bake several loafs at a time to either give as gifts or eat. I baked a few too many of those as well, but they are good. DW likes to make Christmas Candy - peanut butter balls are her specialty - and I serve as quality control. :lmao:

I hate it when they do that. We don't get snow often, so I have one of those plastic shovels, which does the trick on my small driveway. Still, I notice many people don't clear them at all. That was something my dad always did when it snowed, and I've always done it as well. I guess that would be another perk of living in Florida.

Yep. Always clear it right down to the concrete as much as I can. Otherwise you get that build up and it gets harder to clear.

I have a suspicion that if I never had to shovel again, I'd be okay with that.

You could always audition for one of the gravediggers at MNSSHP? I'd pay good money to see that.

I'm eminently qualified.

Hope you're feeling better mate.

I am. But, man that took a lot out of me.

I've only had to shovel snow twice in my life, both times in your lovely country.

You're welcome! Glad we could give you a new experience!

Been a hectic week with 2 Birthdays, a Death in the family on Xmas Eve and the whole Xmas malarkey.

Sorry to hear about the death in the family. Condolences.

I've had one for about 12 years now - on to my second actually. It's almost a necessity now with our east coast winters. Mind you, my parents didn't have a snow blower when I was growing up and we managed. We've had several big dumps of snow in December already. I think its going to be a bad winter.

Two storms in two weeks with another one possibly tomorrow.

Just shoot me.

Any suggestions for a good blower?

The pile on my lawn would likely be at least that high if not for a couple rain/thaw days mixed in. Supposed to get more rain New year's Eve that should cut it down a bit more.

I hate that. Get cold. Stay cold. I don't want the freeze thaw freeze thing.

but unless they were scantily clad gorgeous women

Like......

leia.jpg

Morning guys. Not much going on here, no preparations for the New Year. My butt will be firmly placed on the couch with a bourbon or two. The campus of the kid's grad school has their own private beach where they will be ringing in the New Year. Funny, I wasn't invited.

Saw the pic of Andriana on FB. Another proud dad moment. She looks happy. I don't remember any of my college work experience

Thanks. It was nice that her work was recognized by her peers. It was a good pic of her and a Lemon Shark (I think it was a Lemon)

Live from DaWorld! Hope all are having a good week

Have a blast Mike. Pics would be great.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Condolences on your loss.

Hello Dads! It's the ghost of Christmas past here.

He was the fun one right?

Well, I counted, and it looks like I've played tennis 23 times this month, which is terrific for me, but bad for the wallet.

Good job keeping up with it. Even though your wallet is growing, I am sure your body feels better.

Happy Friday. Looks like my 2 week vacation has come to an end. The next one is scheduled in June. We'll go to a friend's house for NYE party tomorrow. I've got the Crown Royale, Champagne, and PBR ready.

]

Just. Can't. Stop. The. Jokes.

Good job keeping up with it. Even though your wallet is growing, I am sure your body feels better.

Yeah, sore, but in a good way. Two hours of tennis shuts out the rest of the world and challenge myself. I wish I had followed my dreams and made a career of it 20 years ago. I'm hoping to encourage my children to do just that.

Morning guys. Not much going on here, no preparations for the New Year. My butt will be firmly placed on the couch with a bourbon or two.

Sounds like a pretty good preparation to me.

The campus of the kid's grad school has their own private beach where they will be ringing in the New Year. Funny, I wasn't invited.

Well, that's just rude. Where are they going to get their Dad jokes from???

Just. Can't. Stop. The. Jokes.

:laughing: @londontime beat you to it.

'beat' you to it..............

Well, there was this girl in university....oh, wait, the jokes have already been done. :teeth:

In case you're curious, I had a Toro for about 9 years, worked good for 6 or 7 years then started having trouble, not with the engine, but it stopped throwing snow, it just kind of trickled out the end (I've had that problem sometimes, but that's definitely a story for a less respectable place!). I tried replacing belts on it, which helped a little, but then it became a hassle. So a few years ago I got a Honda. It's been very reliable and I'm sure the engine is top notch. But it has tracks whereas the old one had wheels. Some people say the tracks are better but I find it rides up over the snow like a skidoo. The wheels just kind of bury themselves in the snow, which I found lets the blower do the job. But maybe I just go used to wheels. I actually find the Honda throws the snow too far, since I live in suburbia and the houses are pretty close together, I end up dumping snow in the neighbours driveway sometimes (I do clean it up for them). Considering the high price, I'm slightly disappointed in the Honda, not for any mechanical reason, but just the practical way it operates.

I hate that. Get cold. Stay cold. I don't want the freeze thaw freeze thing.
Yep, agreed. If we have to put up with snow, at least it's nice if we can get out to enjoy it. Freeze/thaw gives hard, icy snow that you can't toboggan, snowshoe, or ski on.

The campus of the kid's grad school has their own private beach where they will be ringing in the New Year. Funny, I wasn't invited.
Strange how that happens. You'd think every young girl would love to hang out with her dad on new year's eve. :confused3
My almost 17 year old DD is off to a party too. I used to worry about what goes on. I suppose I still do, but I'm slowly getting to the "I don't want to know" stage. As long as they aren't completely stupid, we just have to trust them.

79E396C7-618A-4323-B08F-6E05CAB7B1CA_zpsrxg8a5re.jpg
79E396C7-618A-4323-B08F-6E05CAB7B1CA_zpsrxg8a5re.jpg

OK got one to post. Will be at EPCOT for NYE tomorrow. Bend a great few days with record highs on day we got here then mid 40's low today. Crowds are not bad in terms of managing days and Disney loads up staffing. Holiday wishes was great but new Star Wars show and Jingle Bell Jingle Bam were even better. Will try to get some more pics going so until then prayers, congrats bourbon and bacon.

Last edited:
Well, there was this girl in university....oh, wait, the jokes have already been done. :teeth:

:sad2:

In case you're curious, I had a Toro for about 9 years, worked good for 6 or 7 years then started having trouble, not with the engine, but it stopped throwing snow, it just kind of trickled out the end (I've had that problem sometimes, but that's definitely a story for a less respectable place!). I tried replacing belts on it, which helped a little, but then it became a hassle. So a few years ago I got a Honda. It's been very reliable and I'm sure the engine is top notch. But it has tracks whereas the old one had wheels. Some people say the tracks are better but I find it rides up over the snow like a skidoo. The wheels just kind of bury themselves in the snow, which I found lets the blower do the job. But maybe I just go used to wheels. I actually find the Honda throws the snow too far, since I live in suburbia and the houses are pretty close together, I end up dumping snow in the neighbours driveway sometimes (I do clean it up for them). Considering the high price, I'm slightly disappointed in the Honda, not for any mechanical reason, but just the practical way it operates.

Thanks for the info.
I was looking at some Toros, actually.

Yep, agreed. If we have to put up with snow, at least it's nice if we can get out to enjoy it. Freeze/thaw gives hard, icy snow that you can't toboggan, snowshoe, or ski on.

::yes::

Morning chaps from a grey London.

Into 2017 planning mode. So far I've booked the Disney Half Marathon in Paris, my Mum's 70th Bday trip and am starting to build the August Florida pilgrimage.

You know the rule. Pics.......

OK got one to post. Will be at EPCOT for NYE tomorrow.
Nice one, enjoy mate. Looks like you're having some great weather.

My butt will be firmly placed on the couch with a bourbon or two.
You and me both mate. Taking the kids to see Moana, then it's couch time until the London fireworks. Then bed. Rock n Roll.

Sorry to hear about the death in the family. Condolences.
Prayers for your family with a death on Christmas Eve.
Condolences on your loss.

Thanks fellas, I'm not beating my head as we weren't that close it was my Aunt, but I had to go round with my mum and find her, so more upset for my mum. But hey, Circle of life and all that.

One of the frustrating parts of Christmas is trying to find space for all the new toys
::yes:: Our Charity shop is going to do very well next week.

Have a great day guys, and ....
Crown Royale, Champagne, and PBR ready
what time do you want us round?

Nearly OD'ed on football yesterday. Some good games and I am hoping for an encore today.

Well, that's just rude. Where are they going to get their Dad jokes from???

I agree totally but she didn't see it that way.

Strange how that happens. You'd think every young girl would love to hang out with her dad on new year's eve. :confused3
My almost 17 year old DD is off to a party too. I used to worry about what goes on. I suppose I still do, but I'm slowly getting to the "I don't want to know" stage. As long as they aren't completely stupid, we just have to trust them.

You have to cut the cord sometime. Just hope you raised them right, they make good decisions and stay safe.

Happy New Year guys and stay safe.

OK got one to post. Will be at EPCOT for NYE tomorrow. Bend a great few days with record highs on day we got here then mid 40's low today. Crowds are not bad in terms of managing days and Disney loads up staffing. Holiday wishes was great but new Star Wars show and Jingle Bell Jingle Bam were even better. Will try to get some more pics going so until then prayers, congrats bourbon and bacon.

Nice pic. I've heard that crowd size is down and some are guessing it is admission price is the reason. Have fun.

Into 2017 planning mode. So far I've booked the Disney Half Marathon in Paris, my Mum's 70th Bday trip and am starting to build the August Florida pilgrimage.

Sounds like you have the making of a great 2017. Happy planning.

You and me both mate. Taking the kids to see Moana, then it's couch time until the London fireworks. Then bed. Rock n Roll.

Forgot onions for dinner tomorrow so had to run to the store. Took the opportunity to buy doughnuts and chocolate milk for breakfast. The rest of the day is reclining on the couch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter