Daylight Saving Time

It was on the ballot and PASSED. But it only allowed California to stay one or the other IF the federal government passed legislation allowing states to decide. Or something like that.
Voters passed it. The State Legislature first has to approve legislation to ask the Federal Government to allow California to no longer switch times. That bill is Assembly Bill 7, introduced in 2018 and the author asked it be left active but halt all committee hearings. That was June 4, 2019. He is apparently trying to get the hearing process restarted now. For some reason he introduced it with an Urgency Clause which means it needs 2/3 vote to pass. http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB7
Once the bill is passed by the Assembly, it goes to state Senate, then the Governor has to sign it before it goes to Congress for approval.

I'm old enough to remember January 1974 when President Nixon issued an emergency order changing the time so we had more daylight at night to save energy during the energy crisis. The negative to that was kids were walking to school or waiting for the school bus in the dark in the morning and getting hit by cars. I was a Junior in High School at the time. I think that despite voter approval, lawmakers are balking at ending the time change for safety reasons because after the election someone did some research and found out what a safety hazard not changing the time was.

Acknowledged, but what are the arguments for and against? What is the reasoning behind those two States being different?

Quick version, the 2 states didn't join the uniform time act in 1966.
AZ didn't join because they didn't want another hour of blistering sun in the summer.
HI didn't because there is not a large difference in daylight between winter and summer at their longitude.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...e-why-hawaii-sunlight-date-when-a8816481.html

Didn't parts of Indiana also ignore DST in the past? Does the whole state now observe it?

Time changes never bothered me. At most it takes 24 hour to adjust. 7:08 pm now and it's still light out, but should be dark by 7:30.

Didn't parts of Indiana also ignore DST in the past? Does the whole state now observe it?

Time changes never bothered me. At most it takes 24 hour to adjust. 7:08 pm now and it's still light out, but should be dark by 7:30.

Yes parts of Indiana did ignore it. I lived in NW Indiana for years, basically until I was 35. For most of my professional life (before moving to Atlanta)I lived in a county that followed Chicago time and worked in a county that stayed the same all year on Eastern Standard time. What a confusing pain that was. I always had to think about where I was going and the time zone the people lived in to decided what time to meet.

I don't have children, but our school district crossed two time zones for part of the year (LaPorte/St. Joseph counties, for reference).

Last edited:

No matter how one feels about it, could we at least all agree that it’s Daylight Saving Time with no “s” on Saving? We’re saving daylight; it’s not a savings account. For those who don’t believe me, check what it says on any calendar.

Voters passed it. The State Legislature first has to approve legislation to ask the Federal Government to allow California to no longer switch times.
I didn't go into the details you did but that is pretty much what I said. I didn't know/remember which time was part of the ballet measure. I honestly don't care which time they pick. Just pick one and call it done.

No matter how one feels about it, could we at least all agree that it’s Daylight Saving Time with no “s” on Saving? We’re saving daylight; it’s not a savings account. For those who don’t believe me, check what it says on any calendar.
Leave the last "s" off for Savings!

I generally dislike switching back and forth, but spring is easier than fall for me. I feel like my natural circadian rhythms fit DST better than EST.
I’ve read many proposals that say DST should be the standard, not ST. Most people prefer their daylight later in the day.

But I think we should all move to GMT and adapt our mindset of time to our local conditions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe they felt they could stand the heat more at the end of the day rather than at the beginning, if that makes sense. Me? Where I live I just run the AC 24 hours a day from May 1-September 30. So whether I’m on ST or DST, it doesn’t matter to me.

I love having more light at the end of the day. I can start walking my dog when I get home from work now.

Even with the time change it was still lighter this morning than it is in the dead of winter on standard time, so that doesn't really bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter