Daylight Saving Time

Actually, it's the latitude that matters most for daylight hours. Sorry, I'm a nerd.
Except that the sun will will blister for the same number of hours.
Exactly - the sun isn't in the sky longer because of a clock change. Maybe the OP meant something else? 🤔
Not to be pedantic, but there is still the same amount of blistering sun, regardless of what time the clock says.

@JaxDad, you could very well be correct about Hawaii, makes sense to me too. But that’s what I read. Sorry for bad info. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Don’t shoot the messenger!!! That was Arizona’s reasoning for not adapting to DST. I wasn’t alive in 1966, so I wasn’t part of AZ legislature that decided not to join.

Probably that if Arizona adopted DST the sun would blister longer while most people are awake.

⬆ This!!! If you spent time in AZ over the summer you know how oppressive the heat is. I think their reasoning was likely they wanted the morning to have the sun since the heat is not blistering yet, and evening to cool off earlier so people can enjoy the outdoors after work.

ETA: Yes, I could have stated my quick version a little more detailed, but I put the link in so everyone could read the explanation on why they didn’t observe DST. And yes, I’m well aware DST doesn’t remove an hour of sunlight (duh!), but as a person who lived many years in AZ I understood the reasoning immediately.

Last edited:
HI didn't because there is not a large difference in daylight between winter and summer

This. We loved not changing clocks during the four years that we lived there. Sunset is pretty consistent year-round.

And I will second the motion that Hawaii is just smarter! :sunny:

Not to be pedantic, but there is still the same amount of blistering sun, regardless of what time the clock says.
The hottest part of the day is on average between 3-5 PM in the summer (standard time) The coldest part of the day usually occurs just after Sunrise. So on Standard time, the commute in during the cool part of the day and the commute home is a drag but it's cooling off for evening leisure activities. Daylight savings would do not much in the morning heat wise given it's already the coolest part of the day but would push that hottest part of the day to 4-6pm. And therein lies the difference. It would make it one hour hotter relative to standard for evening out door leisure activities.

I hate leaving work in the dark... at 5p! Would MUCH rather drive in the dark in the morning.
Yup, doesn't matter what time of year it is, it's still dark when I go to work (and when the kids are getting on the bus) so I would much rather have some daylight after work to be able to do something outside. I usually don't see any daylight all day in the winter, but would sure be nice on those days I get out on time..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter