Daily Room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to hear someone with a dog tell their experience with room checks. It is my understanding that if you have a dog sign on your door they will not come in if you are not there. I wonder if they have to set up a time to check the room when the family will be there. That kind of gives away the element of surprise.

Another issue that could happen is stuff disappearing from the rooms. I was in a Facebook group and people were complaining that things were disappearing from their rooms. One guy said his medicine was missing. If Disney is going to check my room I'd rather be there.

I would love to hear someone with a dog tell their experience with room checks. It is my understanding that if you have a dog sign on your door they will not come in if you are not there. I wonder if they have to set up a time to check the room when the family will be there. That kind of gives away the element of surprise.

Another issue that could happen is stuff disappearing from the rooms. I was in a Facebook group and people were complaining that things were disappearing from their rooms. One guy said his medicine was missing. If Disney is going to check my room I'd rather be there.

It is always smart to lock up anything of value. Even before room checks there was housekeeping entering the rooms.

Where have yiu read reports of a CM overriding the security locks?

There is a thread locked to the top of the forums where many people have had CMs walk in on people WITHOUT being let in by guests.

You seem to be saying that such behavior is just fine, and it is the guest's fault for not putting on the security latch, which many others have explained very plainly that does not work if there are other members of your party outside the room.

Does it matter that the CMs have not (yet) been documented to override the latch (which they can do)? They ARE documented walking in without being granted entry by the guest renting the room. You are focusing on a completely irrelevant piece of information.

Since this fiasco started in January, I have stayed at many other hotels. Not a single one has implemented this policy. Most still do have do not disturb signs, and only state that if you leave the sign up for 24 hours in a row they might check in on the room. That's it. That still respects the guests' privacy while providing the security theater that some people believe is needed now (major eyeroll, but whatever).

I find it amazing that there are any guests out there who think it is fine for random male security guards to walk in on sleeping women because it is the women's fault for not engaging the latch and locking the rest of their families out.

1) Doesn't seem to be, based on a number of threads about no rooms being available.
2) The resort owner apparently believe it is necessary, for whatever reason .
3) Not really any consensus; a variety of thoughts.

1) Disney always has rooms available. Try for tonight. You'll be able to get one. What I meant was once people experience this, they won't be back. I have a trip planned, and was unaware that any of this was happening. My main concern is safety and theft. I do not open doors to anyone unknown. I happened to read this by accident, so if I was unaware of this, I'd be very annoyed and nervous about intruders.

2) The resort owner?!?!?! What's his name?
You mean the multi-billion dollar industry that owns Disney?

3) So.... "Answer the question, CLAIRE".

You never felt the need to use the latch in the past. However, it has always been possible someone could knock and/or walk in on her. That might be a new guest who was wrongly assigned your room, or a housekeeping visit and the DND sign fell off, or maintenance coming to check/fix something, or random kids running down the hallways knocking on doors. There are plenty of reports those things happen. I understand some families split up and allow someone to sleep in or take a nap, but in reality there has always been the chance that person would be disturbed when in the room alone. Telling kids to ignore a knock and don’t answer the door was not preventing maintenance or housekeeping from unlocking the door and entering if the latch was not engaged. Families need to work out what is best for them - considering all risks - and adjust plans accordingly; it’s part of traveling as a family.

There was a do not disturb sign in the past, so the sign would have stopped housekeeping from walking in on you before. That is a dramatically different scenario than now. Yes, the sign *could* fall off, or a guest *could* be mistakenly reassigned to you. But that was not policy. It is now Disney *policy* to walk into your room every day, completely ignoring your wishes for when that happens. Including ignoring people who are calling out that they are not ready for someone to enter. Telling kids (and other guests, especially women) to let anyone claiming to be an employee in is, without a doubt, incredibly dangerous. I posted earlier that just 2 weeks ago the hotel I stayed in explicitly instructed guests NOT to do this (!) for guest safety.

Edited to add this: do a google search and you will find news story after news story of women being raped by hotel employees. Apparently even after #metoo there are still people on this forum who think that is the women's fault because they didn't engage the second latch (that a rapist employee can bypass). Now you don't need the latch because you are required to let any man into your room per Disney policy. And don't bother trying to call the front desk to confirm the need for the employee to enter your room because Disney doesn't have a number for the front desk.

Last edited:
Two signs in my lower east side boutique hotel room in June. No interpretion needed. One said yes, one said no.

We used them. They worked. No knocks when the “no” sign was up.

Housekeeping was thorough and unobtrusive. We had no large items to store in the safe but the safe was huge and could have accommodated even a 15 in Mac book pro.

There was a do not disturb sign in the past, so the sign would have stopped housekeeping from walking in on you before. That is a dramatically different scenario than now. Yes, the sign *could* fall off, or a guest *could* be mistakenly reassigned to you. But that was not policy. It is now Disney *policy* to walk into your room every day, completely ignoring your wishes for when that happens. Including ignoring people who are calling out that they are not ready for someone to enter. Telling kids (and other guests, especially women) to let anyone claiming to be an employee in is, without a doubt, incredibly dangerous. I posted earlier that just 2 weeks ago the hotel I stayed in explicitly instructed guests NOT to do this (!) for guest safety.

Edited to add this: do a google search and you will find news story after news story of women being raped by hotel employees. Apparently even after #metoo there are still people on this forum who think that is the women's fault because they didn't engage the second latch (that a rapist employee can bypass). Now you don't need the latch because you are required to let any man into your room per Disney policy. And don't bother trying to call the front desk to confirm the need for the employee to enter your room because Disney doesn't have a number for the front desk.

Yea, talking to a call center to make sure an unknown person knocking and asking to enter my room is not going to make me feel very secure.

There is a thread locked to the top of the forums where many people have had CMs walk in on people WITHOUT being let in by guests.
First five pages, six incidents of walk-ins. One within a few minutes of guest arriving in room, two where it appears the CMs did try knocking but weren't heard, one where the CM tried accessing the room but the latch was on, two where i don't recall the specifics. I consider that a few, not many.
You seem to be saying that such behavior is just fine,
No.
Does it matter that the CMs have not (yet) been documented to override the latch (which they can do)? They ARE documented walking in without being granted entry by the guest renting the room. You are focusing on a completely irrelevant piece of information.
Yes, it absolutely matters that no WDW CM is overriding the security latch. It is entirely relevant.
Then they aren't looking on the Disney website. :)
i wouldn't know where posters are looking. I do know that it',s extremely rare for someone looking for tonight or tomorrow to post their (in)ability to obtain a room on this, or any, forum.

Last edited:
I believe there were additional incidents of walk ins posted in threads on this subject that have been closed and not bookmarked on the first page of the resorts forum, but I don’t have time to go find them and count them. May be others that happen to guests that don’t pist on the DIS.

You seem to be saying that such behavior is just fine

No.

Yes, it absolutely matters that no WDW CM is overriding the security latch. It is entirely relevant.

Why is that relevant, when they are entering rooms that are *locked* that have "room occupied" signs on them? It is only relevant if you think it is the guest's *fault* for having security come into their room without their invite because they didn't engage the second latch. Disney is not telling guests that the latch is the new "do not disturb" sign. Their policy is that they will enter, no matter what you do.

And if the behavior is not fine to you, why are you defending it? Even if you were a Disney employee this makes no sense. God knows I don't defend my employer when their policies are bad policies.

I believe there were additional incidents of walk ins posted in threads on this subject that have been closed and not bookmarked on the first page of the resorts forum, but I don’t have time to go find them and count them. May be others that happen to guests that don’t pist on the DIS.

Yes I have noticed several threads on this subject have been closed in the past.

Why is that relevant, when they are entering rooms that are *locked* that have "room occupied" signs on them? It is only relevant if you think it is the guest's *fault* for having security come into their room without their invite because they didn't engage the second latch. Disney is not telling guests that the latch is the new "do not disturb" sign. Their policy is that they will enter, no matter what you do.

And if the behavior is not fine to you, why are you defending it? Even if you were a Disney employee this makes no sense. God knows I don't defend my employer when their policies are bad policies.

I wonder how many people are bothering to read the new Room Occupied signs. Because they clearly state they do reserve the right to enter the room at any time, including when that sign is out. It does also state they will knock, and if they are not doing that, then that is a problem.

But as a single woman who has traveled solo, I wouldn't have a problem at all with them doing a room check. If I felt at all uncomfortable I would simply walk out of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter