Credit card skimmer alert

From all that I have read so far, the chip CAN be hacked, however, the window to do damage is limited to about 1 minute. Essentially, the machine that the chip goes into gives a "Unique" id that is only valid for 1 minute. So that value has to be transmitted to something waiting that can use that number within the minute. It's very difficult to really do.

In all fairness, there are other ways the data can be captured off the card and stolen. The card (and/or it's info) will pass many hands before it makes it to yours. Any one of which could steal and then sell that information. Some examples are, The CSR rep at the card issuer how might have access to the data (or a system/database admin), one of the workers at the place where the card is created and subsequently shipped out to you, any number of postal workers that handle that plain white envelope (like that helps, because ANYONE who has ever gotten a credit card knows what they are like), A neighbor delinquent that got to your mail box before you did. A kid peaking into daddy's wallet, etc....

Is it "RF enabled"? Did you pass by a card reader somewhere? (you might be surprised how many legitimate ones are out there).

Did the card get swiped in a reader ANYWHERE?

Was the card used ANYWHERE online or over the phone?

I am not saying that this is the case with any of these, but it could have been one of them. From all I have read so far, hacking the chip, while not impossible, is not the easiest way to go. Knowing what I know about thieves (as a former law enforcement official) one thing thieves will generally do is take the easier path. The Chip is not that path.

I also have to ask, how do you know WHERE it was hacked? Just because it may be the only place YOU used it, doesn't mean that's the only place it could have been hacked. (It doesn't mean it isn't either, however).

Regardless, I understand the frustration, as we had an issue with my DW's Visa Debit card while on our last vacation. Fortunately, we had a viable work around, but it's still very frustrating.

My friend knows where the card CHIP was hacked as it was the ONLY place he used the brand new bank card at all. It's used for specific items & not an every day used card.

Questions: Clearly (hopefully) there's no issue with skimming and CC's linked to MagicBands correct? I don't even know how that would work, my mind is crashing just trying to think of the logistics :scared:

Comment: I learned how to count back change at a register/drive-thru in a fast food restaurant, it was my 1st job. Take the total and count up to the amount they gave me. Even if I have a computer screen in front of me, doesn't matter, thats how I was trained back in the 90's and ahefkuawehfya years later I CHOOSE to use an old school register at my own bar and all my bartenders use the same method. There is no POS, no fancy digital screen, just good old fashion math, it's honestly a very secure feeling knowing the power can go out ( and it has) and we're cool:thumbsup2

Magicbands are the absolute hardest things to skim to be honest. Similar to how apple pay and samsung pay are harder as well. With magic band if they took the information being transmitted to the machine all they would get is your unique Disney file number. The person would then need access to your personal disney file. Even at the hotels once they have access to your file they only have access to the last 4 digits of your CC. We found that out because my fiance and I had cards with the same last 4 digits and front desk couldn't tell us which card was on file only the last 4. Even when guest services sees you Disney file it shows the last 4. So basically it would have to be someone pretty high up in tech/customer service or someone who has hacked the entire Disney system.

Magicbands are the absolute hardest things to skim to be honest. Similar to how apple pay and samsung pay are harder as well. With magic band if they took the information being transmitted to the machine all they would get is your unique Disney file number. The person would then need access to your personal disney file. Even at the hotels once they have access to your file they only have access to the last 4 digits of your CC. We found that out because my fiance and I had cards with the same last 4 digits and front desk couldn't tell us which card was on file only the last 4. Even when guest services sees you Disney file it shows the last 4. So basically it would have to be someone pretty high up in tech/customer service or someone who has hacked the entire Disney system.

yeah, thats what I was thinking. I understand fraud very well as I have an Ingenico processor at my business myself, so I can't see the MagicBand system being corrupted by skimming as it seems the most difficult to do. I just use one small unit, the idea of an entire processing system is more than I care to spend brain cells on trying to understand when I already had to convert to the dreaded chip....:sad2: my customers were NOT happy to say the least. So aside from a creep-a-zoid CM it seems the skimming lies with random change machines and real world type CC processors per usual then. @wilkeliza I must ask, did you and your fiancé have the same last four digits by chance?

yeah, thats what I was thinking. I understand fraud very well as I have an Ingenico processor at my business myself, so I can't see the MagicBand system being corrupted by skimming as it seems the most difficult to do. I just use one small unit, the idea of an entire processing system is more than I care to spend brain cells on trying to understand when I already had to convert to the dreaded chip....:sad2: my customers were NOT happy to say the least. So aside from a creep-a-zoid CM it seems the skimming lies with random change machines and real world type CC processors per usual then. @wilkeliza I must ask, did you and your fiancé have the same last four digits by chance?

Yep completely by change. I applied for my card and then he applied several hours later. We got our card in the mail and they had the same 4 digits. We asked and they said totally coincidence. The issue is now over though as I don't have that account any more (stupid Jetblue switching to Barclay from Amex) so when we got our new card numbers they were different.

Because where it was hacked you can ONLY use the chip if the machine is chip enabled. You can't do either or. Believe me, I am a busines owner and have learned ALOT because of the conversion to chip enabled machines & the hacking!!
Thanks, I'm learning something new, next question I'm going to ask, was it skimmed at the reader or somewhere else or do they know? If skimmed at the reader, wouldn't there have to be something like the mag reader inserted into the slot? I'm also business owner, but what I do I don't take cards so this all new to me.

Yep completely by change. I applied for my card and then he applied several hours later. We got our card in the mail and they had the same 4 digits. We asked and they said totally coincidence. The issue is now over though as I don't have that account any more (stupid Jetblue switching to Barclay from Amex) so when we got our new card numbers they were different.

I think that's soooo nuts that you two got the same last digits by coincidence!! You were meant to be:love:

This may have already been asked, but do the laundry and ice machines still take cash? It seems that would be the safest option.

This may have already been asked, but do the laundry and ice machines still take cash? It seems that would be the safest option.
I don't know about the Ice machines, but when we were there in November 2016, the Laundry in the 300 loop had NO coin op laundry.

Do they take Disney gift cards or just Visa and MC? Trying to decide what we are doing on our next trip.

I put cash on one of those Visa Vanilla gift cards and used that at the laundry facilities. Everytime we've been to Disney a card ends up being compromised. We have a vacation card we only use it at Disney.

I put cash on one of those Visa Vanilla gift cards and used that at the laundry facilities. Everytime we've been to Disney a card ends up being compromised. We have a vacation card we only use it at Disney.
That's what we were thinking about doing. Thanks...

When we go to the Fort. We have a special account that we call the Disney acct. It is used only for Disney or Camping trips. We use a Federal Credit Union. They have notified us a few times, but all was good. We normally do not use this debit card in Austin area. I had to get diesel, went to a new Exxon close to my work. I was notified, if I was or used this card in the area. Thieves are thieves - we all try to be careful with our finances, but it happens. Not thrilled when it does. Thank you all for the info., will help in the future.

I'm finding all of this to be outrageous.

Doesn't Disney have surveillance cameras?
Are people not reporting to Disney when this happens?
Is this problem only, or mostly, at the Fort?

We are never using any of our cards there ever again. We never stay long enough to have to do laundry - just a week. If we need ice, I will go the Trading Post.

It's just really disappointing that Disney has not gotten a handle on this. I know you can't stop everyone, but if word got around that you do this at Disney will get caught, it may stop. I know their security even has facial recognition and keep a very close eye on people. They reported that Orlando nightclub shooter to the FBI many months prior to that happening. Clearly they are watching body language, and have facial recognition.

If this is just a problem at the Fort, they must not be using all the resources they have available to them at the Fort, which they should be.

We are never using any of our cards there ever again. We never stay long enough to have to do laundry - just a week. If we need ice, I will go the Trading Post.

It's just really disappointing that Disney has not gotten a handle on this. I know you can't stop everyone, but if word got around that you do this at Disney will get caught, it may stop. I know their security even has facial recognition and keep a very close eye on people. They reported that Orlando nightclub shooter to the FBI many months prior to that happening. Clearly they are watching body language, and have facial recognition.

If this is just a problem at the Fort, they must not be using all the resources they have available to them at the Fort, which they should be.
The level of crime doesn't warrant the expense. Besides the banks end up bearing the burden of the losses.

It is really hard to pin point exactly where and how to be honest. Sure i said it was runDisney but I have no clue of knowing that my card was skimmed. All I know is my bank said fraud activity. One time they said that wa sthe case because I was at a Comic Con and the ATMs were from a rental company incorporated in Arizona and thus processed as if I was in Arizona. The fact I had a NY charge and an Arizona charge with in 3 minutes of each other they thought clearly my card has been skimmed. That could have actually been what locked my card at the expos was that people come from all over so some sales are run from NY, Georgia, FL, and CA rven though you are buying the product in Orlando. Unless you see actual fraud (charges that you did not approve or know about) then we just assume the fruad is # theft when it may not be that at all. Heck my bank locked down my card when I started running because after years of a ton of fast food and video game purchases my bank though $300 at an athletic store had to be fraud haha.

Last edited:

So the OP basically stated that it was at a run Disney event (or something like that) and not necessarily at the fort or even with the Laundry. The discussion just morphed into concerns about where credit cards are used and how they could be skimmed. The reality is, if you have a credit card and you use it AT ALL, you are at risk. Some of these scams and skimmers are so sophisticated that you would not be the wiser. I believe Disney does everything they can to prevent this type of fraud. I am sure, that like many other news stories, it's only the ones that succeed that you hear about. You never hear about the others that they prevented.

It's hard to report that your card has been skimmed when you don't know where it occurred. Additionally, it's not like it gets skimmed and immediately dozens of charges show up on your card. They skim it today, tomorrow, they sell it on the dark web, then the buyer "Tests" it with a few small purchases, if they succeed, they then try "Bigger" purchases. All the while, if you are not checking your card's account constantly (which is why some banks will have options to "Text" you with every transaction), you may not know for several more days, maybe not for a LONG time. So if you don't even know your card was skimmed for a week, how can you say where it was skimmed to complain about it?

Now if the skimmer is so shoddy, that it falls of the machine while you are trying to do it, well then, yes... You should report to Disney (or whoever it belongs to) the attempt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter