Credit card skimmer alert

tltay2005

DIS Veteran
My sister just told me her debit card was skimmed at the 1900 loop laundry mat and she had her account compromised. She was there from 1/2-1/6/17. Just thought I would put it out there so that you can be aware. Unfortunately it is happening everywhere.

It has been happening at Disney for a long time. Thanks for the heads up though. There is a guy who does it at the MK that CMs were pretty sure was the person skimming the cards but they could never actually pin it on him it was just suspicion. I know during runDisney events the expo is a hot bed for CC skimmers. I've had mine skimmed almost every time I've done a runDisney event and it is so annoying to have to lock your cards and get a replacement or turn on the extra security features until you get home and can get a new card.

Brave new world.... (Sadly).

I say we go back to all cash! :)

We would have to retrain all the youngsters out there what cash is, lol. When my now 19 year first started driving, he couldn't figure out how he was going to get gas because he did not have a debit or credit card. I told him to go inside and pay cash, you should have seen his face, priceless :confused3:rotfl2:

We had our card skimmed at a gas station while driving from PA to GA. On the recommendation of our bank we now have a separate card in which we keep a very small amount. As we need more I transfer from our main banking accounts into it. That way, if this card is skimmed, it doesn't greatly inconvenience us. Bank highly recommends this practice; even for buying online.

Problem with that is even with SMART CASH REGISTERS todays kids are not able to do simple addition and subtraction

Oh, don't get me going on this..... It's amazing how they can't even figure out the change (either that you gave them or that they need to give you) to do that simple math (typically under $1.00) especially, if you through a loop in like "for that 67 cents, could I get that in 1 quarter, 3 dimes, 2 nickels and 2 pennies?" You can almost see their heads swell with the pressure trying to figure it out.

So as we try and convert back to CASH, we need to start with the Math class back in grade school. Good thing we have "Common Core!" :rotfl2:

Yeah I actually asked a cashier at McDonald's once for a $15 gift card and she told me she couldn't because they don't have gift cards in that amount. I had to explain to her to give me a ten dollar gift card and five dollar card together to make fifteen! It was painful.....

Wow judgmental much?! Just know that every time you laugh or get an attitude about someone who can't do math it is quite possible the job they have is the only one they can't get because yeah they struggled with math. If you can do it so quickly why not help instead of be frustrated or angry.

On the gift card thing the worker was right. They can't do 1 $15 gift card. Perhaps they didn't think you wanted 2 since you said you wanted 1 so they didn't offer that.

Also I'll be honest when I worked a register I totally zoned out. If you had seen me at the register when someone changed their bills after I put it in you'd think I was an idiot but really I was doing complex math in my college courses and at work really just didn't feel like having to think so yeah it might have seemed like it took me a bit longer then you would have liked but it wasn't because I couldn't do the math I was just mentally exhausted doing 15+ hours at school, working
40+ hours, and trying desperately to intern between all of that.

Wow judgmental much?! Just know that every time you laugh or get an attitude about someone who can't do math it is quite possible the job they have is the only one they can't get because yeah they struggled with math. If you can do it so quickly why not help instead of be frustrated or angry.

On the gift card thing the worker was right. They can't do 1 $15 gift card. Perhaps they didn't think you wanted 2 since you said you wanted 1 so they didn't offer that.

Also I'll be honest when I worked a register I totally zoned out. If you had seen me at the register when someone changed their bills after I put it in you'd think I was an idiot but really I was doing complex math in my college courses and at work really just didn't feel like having to think so yeah it might have seemed like it took me a bit longer then you would have liked but it wasn't because I couldn't do the math I was just mentally exhausted doing 15+ hours at school, working
Maybe.... or maybe it's just frustrating to see people struggle with basic skills as we ponder what is happening, educationally, to our society.

Maybe.... or maybe it's just frustrating to see people struggle with basic skills as we ponder what is happening, educationally, to our society.

I just see this all the time and now it is even being used as a slight against common core. You can't always just assume it is the education system or "idiot kids" who don't know math as why the calculation wasn't quick enough for your liking.

It's not being judgemental just pointing out common things that a lot of us see every day. Plus, it was obviously in a jesting manner.

Since we don't use cash as much people have fallen out of the practice of quickly working out the figures in our heads. It's still easier for those of us that had to do it regularly for years (ran a register myself) but not so much for the younger groups today who don't see it as much.

Sad part is, those of us here on the camping forum all travel long distances regularly and paying in cash at most big travel centers actually means cheaper prices at the pump.

I say go back to cash so we get fuel cheaper, less chance for skimming, and better counting skills for our kids! :thumbsup2

Someplace I missed in the conversation the "calculation wasn't quick enough for your liking" They don't have to "figure" at the cash register, it tells them how much change to give, they just take it out of the register and hand it to you in bulk. I think what Peg110 is saying is we remember the time when your bill was $8.58 and you gave them a $10 bill and they actually counted out "2 pennies, 59, 60, dime 70, nickel 75, quarter $9, and another dollar for $10. Now they just take out $1.42 and hand it to you, you have to count yourself to make sure it's right.

Oh, don't get me going on this..... It's amazing how they can't even figure out the change (either that you gave them or that they need to give you) to do that simple math (typically under $1.00) especially, if you through a loop in like "for that 67 cents, could I get that in 1 quarter, 3 dimes, 2 nickels and 2 pennies?" You can almost see their heads swell with the pressure trying to figure it out.

So as we try and convert back to CASH, we need to start with the Math class back in grade school. Good thing we have "Common Core!" :rotfl2:
As a former teacher / principal who dealt with the introduction / implementation of the Common Core Standards.........its going to get worse before it gets better.:crazy2:

My 19 year old son is currently taking the train back home. And he seriously texted me today to ask if they would take cash in the dining car. Whenever he has cash he's so confused as to whether or not places will accept it. It cracks me up but alas I grew up before debit cards were a thing.

About kids today and their math skills, I have two teenagers that work fast food and have no issues with the cash register. Thank goodness!!!

Sorry my post offended you apparently, but I stand by what I said, it was painful. I worked as casher in my teenage years too and I get that it's a boring mind-numbing job, but to have a customer ask for a gift card and just flat out say no? It should not be assumed that I don't want two cards, I should have been told my options and been offered what amounts they do have. Instead I had to explain to her that there are other ways to get to 15! It's not just math, kids aren't being taught basic customer service skills these days, but now we are getting waaayyy off topic

We used the laundry in the 1600 loop. I checked our CC account online, so far so good.

Do the laundry places take magic bands? We never stay long enough to do any laundry...
I typically leave my wallet in the safe the entire time we are at disney (unless we leave the bubble).. i almost forgot about it as we were leaving this past Saturday.. my wife reminded me because her purse was in there as well.. :)

When I was there in November, the Magic Band would only get you INTO the laundry area. It could not be used for purchases. It would seem to be a logical step, however. I have to wonder.... Knowing a bit about how credit card processing works, there is typically a "Swipe" fee + a percentage. It's not uncommon for vendors to pay 50 cents on top of a percentage of the purchase. So in this case, the $3 wash costs (using my example) 56 cents, so they are only making $2.44 (Did that with out a calculator too. :D ) Then when I come back to "Dry" my clothes, it's another $3 (less the 56 cent fees). If the clothes aren't dry, then it's another set of fees. Anyway, you can see how it's less profitable.

If the did the MB, they could "Accumulate" the charges (not just from laundry, but other purchases that can be done) and present it to the credit card and only pay the "Swipe Fee" once. The percentage is what it is, but over 10 swipe fees ($5) could be reduced to 50 cents (again in my example)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter